The NHL Thread

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    I know what you’re feeling @thedove . And, liked the jilted lover, I keep going back, knowing things are likely to breakdown again, and this bliss is simply a mirage, lol!

A beautiful way to describe sports fandom!

😂 thanks @FoxRox … we are gluttons for punishment, aren’t we??
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All I know is it's a good day for me because the Pens fired Reirden. There's not a singular doubt in my mind that if they did this back in December at the latest, they'd be in the playoffs now.
    I know what you’re feeling @thedove . And, liked the jilted lover, I keep going back, knowing things are likely to breakdown again, and this bliss is simply a mirage, lol!

Absolutely - and some have it worse than others, no doubt, depending on what fanbases choose you - yes, I say “choose you” on purpose. Especially coming up short when you have the best team through the year… it’s rough.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Absolutely - and some have it worse than others, no doubt, depending on what fanbases choose you - yes, I say “choose you” on purpose. Especially coming up short when you have the best team through the year… it’s rough.

I hear you @FoxRox !! It’s all part of the fun though. Nothing is a guarantee in sports— especially in the playoffs…. How many teams could win the Stanley Cup? I’d say there were four or five teams that started the playoffs that could have a legit shot. But by the time two teams scratch and claw themselves to the finals, it’s a crap shoot based on talent and luck and matchups…: how many players have secret injuries? How serious are the injuries? How healthy are the goaltenders (especially mentally?), what puck-luck hit which team? Who had bad bounces? What calls are made? Who got sick? And on and on… 30plus teams in the NHL and only one winner. It’s a tough racket, and tougher to be a passionate fan, 😂 (how many times did my heart jump in my throat last night?!?!?)…
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    All I know is it's a good day for me because the Pens fired Reirden. There's not a singular doubt in my mind that if they did this back in December at the latest, they'd be in the playoffs now.

As someone who is a casual follower of the Pens, what makes this firing have so much impact on the team? I thought Sullivan was the final boss and decision maker, wouldn't it be more impactful to fire him?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    thedove wrote: »

As someone who is a casual follower of the Pens, what makes this firing have so much impact on the team? I thought Sullivan was the final boss and decision maker, wouldn't it be more impactful to fire him?

I think Reirder was the coach on PP duties? Is that right, @Creasy47 ... And their PP was trash all year and cost them valuable points.
    edited May 3 Posts: 40,575

I guess technically the "final boss" these days is Dubas, and he's had a real love for the coaching system he didn't want to alter, but I'm guessing even his higher-ups recognized the inexcusable and abysmal PP the Pens had all season.

Their PP was the third worst in the league this season despite having the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Letang, and EK on it. Hell, I don't know a thing about coaching and probably could've done a better job than Reirden this season.

I personally think Sullivan should've been good in the last two or so years, this past December at the latest, but he got an extension last year and I guess he's still their guy for now (though I've heard rumblings and rumors that New Jersey wanted to talk with him about being their head coach. I guess anything can happen).

EDIT: Some local reporters have said there was a lot of friction today and Sully was vehemently opposed to making changes to his staff.

If that's the case, and he's seriously defending the job Todd did all season, then that really is the final straw for me and we should find a better coach. I've no doubt he'd find great success elsewhere but he can be a little stale in the way he plays favorites, even to the detriment of the team and their record.

@peter, been editing this so only just saw your comment but yes sir, that's correct.
    Thanks for that info @Creasy47 , might be a very interesting off season.

Some good coaches out on the open market.

Who do you have tonight?

Do the Canucks become the second Canadian team to make it to round 2?
    Do the Golden Knights force a game 7?
    Canucks Oilers should be a heck of a series in Round 2.

Can someone tell me I am crazy for envisioning the boys in blue and white vanquishing the Bruins tonight? I am cautiously optimistic that we might just pull off the comeback and move on to the second round.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Canucks Oilers should be a heck of a series in Round 2.

Can someone tell me I am crazy for envisioning the boys in blue and white vanquishing the Bruins tonight? I am cautiously optimistic that we might just pull off the comeback and move on to the second round.

I’d like to see the Canucks pull the upset.

And you’re a brave man speaking out loud what I think we Leaf fans may be feeling. I haven’t felt tingles in my gut like this in a good long while.

So, although I’m afraid to say anything, I will say that win or lose, at least Toronto, FINALLY wore their hearts on their sleeves the last two games. I’ve never seen them smother opponents as they’ve done in the last two games. It was unthinkable and I couldn’t believe my eyes.

And Woll has been….sigh…. A wall, 😂. He’s been tremendous. Composed. And because of his calmness, I fear Boston will be taking runs. They’ll “slip” into the net. They’ll try and bump him in any way they can. That’s the nature of the NHL Playoffs— if you’re not cheating in some way, then you’re not trying, 😂. And the Bruins are going to be trying to do whatever they can to get Woll out of net (legally, by peppering shots and trying to get a couple early goals, or by “accidental” contact(s)).

Have fun this evening.
    I will be having fun with my bro watching Game 7 tonight. Neither are "my team," but I always enjoy a good Game 7. Preference is the Maple Leafs - best of luck @peter!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @FoxRox !!! Win or lose, I just want them to show up! And fight!

I’ll be sad if the Leafs don’t make it to the next round, BUT, if they leave everything on the ice, as they have done these past two games, I will have nothing to really complain about (other than it’s a mystery why they didn’t start the series the way they’ve been playing— a full team effort, one for all, all for one)!

So long as they just fight until the last horn…. That’s all I can ask for!! Enjoy the time spent with your brother!!

🤞 🤞
    Well my brave thoughts and words didn't seem to inspire the buds!

God the roller coaster that this freaking team takes me on continues. Like a fool with a cheating lover, I will return in the fall and believe that THIS year will be different and we will have some level of success. I suppose a fan of Buffalo, San Jose and Phoenix may wish to have a team consistently making the playoffs but after 8 years of making the playoffs and winning a grand total of 1 series I am done with this group.

I can't for the life of me see how anyone could justify running back the same core and saying that this year will be different. While I think Keefe is a competent coach, you don't get a winning regular season record without competence, I would fire him and bring in a new guy with new vision and coaching techniques. I would do my best to re-sign Domi and Bert if the dollars and term make sense. I would be looking for a steady goalie to tandem with Woll. I would be shopping Marner and maybe Reilly to see what they may fetch. I think both have no-move clauses so it will be tough to get value.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I hope the Panthers wipe out Boston quickly so that I don't get tormented by "what might have been".
  • edited May 6 Posts: 12,294
    Shame about the Leafs. I have a good feeling Florida will take out Boston within six games, though; the Panthers are my pick to win it all this year. Wouldn't be the least surprised at a rematch of last year's finals, in fact, hopefully with the other side winning this time.

EDIT: So much for that! Color me shocked Dallas made it past Vegas.
    With that our second round series are set:

Panthers vs Bruins
    Rangers vs Canes

Stars vs Avs
    Canucks vs Oilers

We are guaranteed a Canadian team makes it to a conference final. On paper I would say the Oilers should be favored even though they are the underdog. If the Canucks had their goalies I would say it might be different.

I am sensing a Panthers Rangers final in the East. In the West I am going with Oilers Avs. Though the Stars might be able to expose the questionable goaltending on the Avs.
    I'll be rooting for the Panthers, Canes, Stars, and Canucks.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm with @creasy, except for, I'd like to see Nate and the Avs take out Dallas. I know Dallas is a talented and hard working team, and I don't know why I'm not a fan. But I'm not...

But I'd like to see the Panthers knee cap the Bruins-- the faster the better.
    Canes take out NYR.
    Canucks putting McJesus to bed.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Colorado, Edmonton, Rangers and Boston will be the final 4
    edited May 11 Posts: 5,024
    hmmm well @Last_Rat_Standing one of your final four looks good about now.

I must say I enjoy the white washing that Boston is getting right now. I am glad the Leafs were spared that treatment. I don't see any of our core four thriving in that game where Bennet returns and lays a beat down on Marchand and Pasta.

Oilers Canucks looks like a long series. I think Avs Stars will be a 6 gamer.

EDIT We had a 45 minute press conference where the management team of the Leafs said that everything is on the table in terms of improving our team. I liked Treliving saying our offence in the playoffs makes every goalie look like a first star. Marner and Matthews rarely go into the "dirty areas" to score. JT is older and less prolific. Nylander can do it when the mood suits him. Should be an interesting off season in TO.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    hmmm well @Last_Rat_Standing one of your final four looks good about now.

I must say I enjoy the white washing that Boston is getting right now. I am glad the Leafs were spared that treatment. I don't see any of our core four thriving in that game where Bennet returns and lays a beat down on Marchand and Pasta.

Oilers Canucks looks like a long series. I think Avs Stars will be a 6 gamer.

EDIT We had a 45 minute press conference where the management team of the Leafs said that everything is on the table in terms of improving our team. I liked Treliving saying our offence in the playoffs makes every goalie look like a first star. Marner and Matthews rarely go into the "dirty areas" to score. JT is older and less prolific. Nylander can do it when the mood suits him. Should be an interesting off season in TO.

Shanahan can still skate, it seems: when asked the million dollar question by Steve Simmons: why, after eight failed seasons (plus two more before that), does Shanny think he can change the team now?

He skated right around that and made a delicious word salad.

This guy has got to go.

Keefe loses his job, when these are the teams Shanny greenlit. He let Dubas invest in four to five players with 50%of the cap, then spread the remaining cash on the 16-18 players. You can't build a team of depth like that, but Shanny remains standing for at least one more season.

(and I do think a coaching change is necessary, not because Keefe is a bad coach, but because the entitled children inside the dressing room need a new, more aggressive voice)

Shanny hasta go....

I don't blame this year on the players. We know this is their nature and it, as a collective, isn't built for the playoffs.

I don't blame the coaches, outside of their inability to get the PP going (and the coach who was in charge of that, a buddy of Shanny's, still has his job (as of this writing!!!!!!!).

I certainly don't blame Treliving who was brought in late and opened bare cupboards thanks to Dubas and Shanahan.

I don't blame the new boss of MLS&E. He's been on the job for a month.

Shanny needs to go. He keeps failing upwards.
    Well said @peter there are strong indications that this is the Shanahan plan. He was quick at the start to say which players have to go and I laugh that some found success and became Stanley Cup Champions.

When we look at the players we let walk for nothing because we couldn't afford them. Hyman, Van Riemsdyk were two that were discarded and could still be contributing. Both go to the ":dirty areas" that Treliving said we have to go to score.

We can't keep any of the rentals, some for cost, others for reasons that I am sure that they can see this team can't win as currently constructed. I guess Shanny is getting a reprieve for next spring when we either fail to make the playoffs, or exit quickly will get the boot.

I see Detroit and Ottawa has two teams that are going to improve. Add in a hungry Montreal team and maybe a Buffalo team that wants to improve and you might be life and death to make the playoffs.

• peterpeter Toronto
    @thedove , I never understood letting Hyman walk. What does he make? $5.5? They didn't read the tea leaves well on that one.

And yep, I'm as concerned as you about the rising teams all around us.

Shanahan came in here saying he'd change the culture of the club. Yet his players are some of the highest paid in the league, they get shielded from the media, and they call themselves "like gods in this city", after being booted from the first round -again! He may've changed the culture, but perhaps for the worse.

I can't believe this is the same Shanny, a Hall of Fame player who was big and strong and played tough, made you pay, and, as a power forward, went to the ugly places to score goals. He's got soft in his old age, whereas his ex teammate Yzerman, is as ornery and as competitive as he ever was.

It's sad.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Me right now.

Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.
    Gonna lose to the Rangers anyway
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Me right now.

Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.

😂!

Enjoy the ride.

And yes, NYR are looking like beasts. Congrats to the Hurricanes for willing at least one win. Can they make it two?
    Me right now.

Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.

😂!

Enjoy the ride.

And yes, NYR are looking like beasts. Congrats to the Hurricanes for willing at least one win. Can they make it two?

Nah. Rangers winning tonight
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Me right now.

Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.
    Don't blow it.

😂!

Enjoy the ride.

Nah. Rangers winning tonight

I’d imagine so… They look more destined than any other team still standing. Different team, but a similar feeling to LA when they won in ‘12 and ‘14 (even though they just squeaked into the playoffs in ‘12, they had been playing great hockey weeks prior, and only got tougher and more ornery once the playoffs started).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Spoke too soon, and Rod The Body's team has shown life. This year the second round has been better than the first.

And right now Dallas is manhandling Nate and crew. I sorely underestimated the Stars even knowing they're an amazing team!
    It was only a matter of time before Dallas started to dominate in the playoffs. They've gotten so close in the last few years. I hope it's them raising the Cup in a few weeks.
    I'm sensing Canucks Stars in the West. East I am seeing Panthers and ?????

I am curious whether Canes can come back and win the series. The second round has featured some great hockey.

What does everyone think of the suspension of Cousy? I think based on Reilly getting 6 games during the regular season 1 game seems light.
    Canes coming back to win four straight against a team like the Rangers will be a mighty tall order, but they're already halfway there. Just one more win and anything can happen.