What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    BMB007 wrote: »
    200w.gif?cid=6c09b952mjk4ewu4l0r1qpc6znlpht2fpdmgz5pu5q6kwbzp&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Jokes aside: I've long had an idea for a soft/loose re-adaptation of "The Living Daylights" only instead of an orchestra the woman is a singer who got caught in some conspiracy, and some songs are performed diegetically (think: "Cabaret") in the film by the woman.

Now Bond singing would be a whole different ballgame...

They should just nick the opening of Temple of Doom wholesale and plonk it in a Bond opening.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Mallory wrote: »
    BMB007 wrote: »
    200w.gif?cid=6c09b952mjk4ewu4l0r1qpc6znlpht2fpdmgz5pu5q6kwbzp&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Jokes aside: I've long had an idea for a soft/loose re-adaptation of "The Living Daylights" only instead of an orchestra the woman is a singer who got caught in some conspiracy, and some songs are performed diegetically (think: "Cabaret") in the film by the woman.

Now Bond singing would be a whole different ballgame...

They should just nick the opening of Temple of Doom wholesale and plonk it in a Bond opening.

The start of Temple of Doom is definitely the most fun part of the movie for me. If the rest of the film had been Indy in that kind of setting (which admittedly would mean pretty much divorcing it from its King Solomon's Mine roots), kind of a romp rather than touching on horror, I would enjoy it more than I do (I don't think it's bad, just that it's the third best Indy film after a fairly significant gap after Raiders and Crusade).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 11 Posts: 8,507
    Seems like @Mendes4Lyfe ‘s choice for director, is nowhere close to the next Bond picture, thankfully…:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/4/11/edgar-wright-running-man-remake-to-star-glenn-powell

I kinda agree with the writer, who says this about Wright: …but he also has an annoying penchant for infantilism and silliness. There’s a film geek sensibility to his movies that can sometimes rubs me the wrong way….

Sums up why I don’t think he should get near Bond until he can be more refined.

EDIT: and from deadline:

https://deadline.com/2024/04/glen-powell-edgar-wrights-running-man-paramount-1235881989/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    For me, Wright's work lost most of its appeal and magic when he moved away from Frost and Pegg. I still think I'm only one of maybe 10 or so people who actively hated Baby Driver - all style, zero substance.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    For me, Wright's work lost most of its appeal and magic when he moved away from Frost and Pegg. I still think I'm only one of maybe 10 or so people who actively hated Baby Driver - all style, zero substance.

I didn’t hate it, but I agree that Baby Driver was a lot of empty calories.

However, another one of @Mendes4Lyfe ’s fantasies evaporating into the air…
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »

I actually liked it quite a bit; it was like a “ cheat day “ from a healthy diet. I particularly liked seeing Jon Hamm playing against type.

I didn't hate it. But its quite ordinary! He did it as he was a big fan of Walter Hills 'The Driver', which it doesn't come anyway near!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

I actually liked it quite a bit; it was like a “ cheat day “ from a healthy diet. I particularly liked seeing Jon Hamm playing against type.

Hamm was damn good as the Big Bad Wolf of the flick… and that’s a good way of describing the flick: a cheat meal… 😂. Nice 👍🏻 @talos7 !!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Hamm's performance in it was one of the only highlights for me. He's been having an amazingly fun career of late and I've enjoyed everything he's been popping up in.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Hamm's performance in it was one of the only highlights for me. He's been having an amazingly fun career of late and I've enjoyed everything he's been popping up in.

He’s good value, and I think Talos also gave him a shout as a Felix. Depending on the Bond, this theoretically is a strong, likeable choice…
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 11 Posts: 7,981

He’s good value, and I think Talos also gave him a shout as a Felix. Depending on the Bond, this theoretically is a strong, likeable choice…

Obviously it depends on what dynamic they will be going for. I think he would play well off of Theo James, with Hamm as a late in his prime CIA agent and James as an in his prime Bond.

Heck, if not Bond, Guy Richie should think about bringing him in for The Gentlemen; he would have a blast as an American underworld gangster at odds with James and company.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Obviously it depends on what dynamic they will be going for. I think he would play well of of Theo James, with Hamm as a late in his prime CIA agent and James as an in his prime Bond.

Heck, if not Bond, Guy Richie should think about bringing I’m in for The Gentlemen; he would have a blast as an American underworld gangster at offs with James and company.

I like this too!! Time for a collaboration, 😂
  • edited April 11 Posts: 486
    007HallY wrote: »
    Your man Nolan spent years making corporate training videos (which from experience editing such videos are rather depressing things to work on, and certainly not visionary) and made at least two very questionable student short films. Phillips and others like him just worked on more mainstream/higher profile stuff earlier on in their careers (and honestly, he did it quite well) and slowly drifted into making other types of films which could be considered 'visionary'.

Oh, come on! Nolan directed the excellent Memento as his second feature film when he was 30. Phillips directed around TEN bad to okay comedies before making a truly acclaimed movie at the age of 49. So those two are entirely different scenarios.

Someone making bad to okay movie after bad to okay movie then suddenly making a great movie around the age of 50 (or later) is extremely rare.
    Could not agree more! I think he would be totally wrong for Bond, even a more lighthearted Bond film. And I say this as someone who really likes his first two films.
    Your man Nolan spent years making corporate training videos (which from experience editing such videos are rather depressing things to work on, and certainly not visionary) and made at least two very questionable student short films. Phillips and others like him just worked on more mainstream/higher profile stuff earlier on in their careers (and honestly, he did it quite well) and slowly drifted into making other types of films which could be considered 'visionary'.

Oh, come on! Nolan directed the excellent Memento as his second feature film when he was 30. Phillips directed around TEN bad to okay comedies before making a truly acclaimed movie at the age of 49. So those two are entirely different scenarios.

Someone making bad to okay movie after bad to okay movie then suddenly making a great movie around the age of 50 (or later) is extremely rare.
    Could not agree more! I think he would be totally wrong for Bond, even a more lighthearted Bond film. And I say this as someone who really likes his first two films.

Joker was "truly acclaimed"? Are you sure about that?
    Say what you will about Todd Phillips but "The Hangover" was a certified Big Deal movie when it came out.

Regardless — talking about directors like they are athletes is a strange way to talk about them.
  • edited April 12 Posts: 2,925

Depends on what you mean by ‘bad to ok’ movies. Low brow comedy? That’s not bad honestly, and I think Phillips was actually quite good at them and made some good films. As I said, Hitchcock took many films before he mastered his craft, and actually made quite a few comedies that would have been similarly low brow.

I’m guessing you’re not a filmmaker yourself or anything like that. You have to understand with pretty much all directors it takes time to hone skills, and even longer to get to a point where they can make those ‘great’ films, if they even get appreciated for them being so at all. Even Nolan as I said had to do this with his corporate videos. Watch Kubrick’s first two features and they’re pretty awful. Even outliers who cropped up at 30 years old and made a great film likely had a closet full of awful shorts or scripts which never worked out. Plenty of directors do great films a bit later after doing many other jobs. You have to understand directing is a job for a lot of people in film/tv, and rather a difficult one to make a career out of. A lot of early director’s careers are made up of doing stuff that you wouldn’t think defines their later ones. And they usually have different career outlines than someone like Nolan (who I genuinely admire for getting his start with low budget feature filmmaking).
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Umm.. it was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. It was nominated for a Best Directing Oscar. It won an Oscar for Best Actor. It won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How crazy would it be if both Villeneuve and Nolan both couldn't make Bond fit their schedules, and EON are forced to draft in Martin Campbell at the last minute? I guess it depends on whether EON and Amazon view November 2026 as the deadline that the film has to be out by or not.
    How crazy would it be if both Villeneuve and Nolan both couldn't make Bond fit their schedules, and EON are forced to draft in Martin Campbell at the last minute? I guess it depends on whether EON and Amazon view November 2026 as the deadline that the film has to be out by or not.

If they were in a hurry the movie would already be done.
  • peterpeter Toronto

😂
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

If Solitaire hadn’t have lost her powers, she might be quite useful too you.
    Solitaire- A director meets with EON.
    Fan - Is it Nolan or Villeneuve?
    Solitaire - I cannot see when you are this way.
    Fan - Is Bond 26 going to come out in 2026
    Solitaire - I just said, I cannot see when you are this way.
    Fan - Is it Campbell? Edgar Wright?
    Solitaire - I quit!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 12 Posts: 23,558

@Mendes4Lyfe
    In continuation of our game,
    1) Who says Nolan and/or Villeneuve want to do a Bond film right now? What makes you so sure that not being able to fit Bond 26 into their schedules is the only reason why they wouldn't do it?
    2) Why would it be "crazy" that two very prolific, working directors cannot squeeze a big film into their schedules?
    3) Why would EON be "forced" to bring in Campbell? Are only three blokes capable of doing a Bond film?
    4) Who says Campbell wants to be "drafted in" at this point?
    5) Why would EON be "forced" to do anything at all? Is Universal "forced" to do another Death Race? Is Paramount "forced" to do another Star Trek? Is New Line "forced" to do another Nightmare On Elm Street? Is Colombia Pictures "forced" to do another Bad Boys? What makes you think we can "force" EON to do another Bond film?
    6) What's so special about November 2026? What's wrong with October 2027?

You continue to live in your fantasy world where fans can somehow predict the likelihood of a Bond release, especially one that will have to introduce a whole new era. In truth, there is zero information to work with at the moment, except that "James Bond will Return" according to that film you so maturely won't even call by its title. Other than that, nothing. There's the Internet and YouTube, yes -- a sad wasteland of wishful thinking sold as hard truth by people tragically stuck in a dangerous tunnel vision.

Look, fantasise all you want. Just stop with the future-telling alright because you're pulling all your predictions from places where the sun doesn't shine. Could Nolan, or Villeneuve, or Campbell make the next Bond film with Turner or whoever, slated for a November '26 release? Sure -- in the sense that no laws of physics would be broken either way. Will any of this happen? We . Have . Absolutely . No . Way . To . Know . At . This . Point!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited April 12 Posts: 8,507
    DarthDimi wrote: »

@Mendes4Lyfe
    1) Who says Nolan and/or Villeneuve want to do a Bond film right now? What makes you so sure that not being able to fit Bond 26 into their schedules is the only reason why they wouldn't do it?
    2) Why would it be "crazy" that two very prolific, working directors cannot squeeze a big film into their schedules?
    3) Why would EON be "forced" to bring in Campbell? Are only three blokes capable of doing a Bond film?
    5) Why would EON be "forced" to do anything at all? Is Universal "forced" to do another Death Race? Is Paramount "forced" to do another Star Trek? Is New Line "forced" to do another Nightmare On Elm Street? Is Colombia Pictures "forced" to do another Bad Boys? What makes you think we can "force" EON to do another Bond film?

You continue to live in your fantasy world where fans can somehow predict the likelihood of a Bond release, especially one that will have to introduce a whole new era. In truth, there is zero information to work with at the moment, except that "James Bond will Return" according to that film you so maturely won't even call by its title. Other than that, nothing. There's the Internet and YouTube, yes -- a sad wasteland of wishful thinking sold as hard truth by people tragically stuck in a dangerous tunnel vision.

Look, fantasise all you want. Just stop with the future-telling alright because you're pulling all your predictions from places where the sun doesn't shine. Could Nolan, or Villeneuve, or Campbell make the next Bond film with Turner or whoever, slated for a November '26 release? Sure -- in the sense that no laws of physics would be broken either way. Will any of this happen? We . Have . Absolutely . No . Way . To . Know . At . This . Point!

Nicely stated.

One should really look up the definitions to the words: humility and patience.

It’s amazing: one doesn’t know even have a sliver of what’s happening in a certain field, and no matter how much they blow a gasket, it will not speed up projects that they have no control of. It’s very strange.

But I fear the entitled just don’t waste their time on correcting behaviours… all the same, that’d be a frustrating life to live, where every “fact” one tries to will into existence, instead, evaporates from reality.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 12 Posts: 4,445
    But it does show you the potential such a director with such a prior filmography can have.

Sure, miracles do happen. Todd Philip directing a movie as great as Joker was one. But don't tell me a director with a proven track record isn't far more likely to deliver a visionary film than someone who never made a visionary film before.

It's not a miracle at all. It's the accumulation of many years of experience - making films, telling stories visually (even rather low brow comedies), working with actors/writers/other departments, and basically honing the craft of directing. Even Hitchcock took many, many years before he became the 'Master of Suspense' we know him as. Your man Nolan spent years making corporate training videos (which from experience editing such videos are rather depressing things to work on, and certainly not visionary) and made at least two very questionable student short films. Phillips and others like him just worked on more mainstream/higher profile stuff earlier on in their careers (and honestly, he did it quite well) and slowly drifted into making other types of films which could be considered 'visionary'.

I don't know what any director will give us when it comes to Bond. As I've said it's not always something we know, much like how we don't truly know how a specific actor could play this role. We could get something very special from a lesser known director.

Someone who I think could potentially have a second life as a filmmaker is Mark Mylod. He did The Menu recently, but his credits before that was made up of early 2000s comedy films, none of which seem very well received (including Ali G Indahouse, which even I don't like). Apart from that he did a lot of comedy for television too. Later on he did work for higher end tv shows such as Game of Thrones and Succession, and after that we get The Menu from him. I can imagine someone like that potentially doing a very good Bond movie (but again, I can't know for sure).

There are couple of directers that i ever sugest:

Cameron Crowe (Vanilla Sky). Last movie he direct was in 2015.
    Richard Kwietniowski. English. (Owning Mahowny) Last movie he direct was in 2014.
    John Duigan . Australian directer born in the UK. Family of Australian directer Bruce Beresford. Last movie he direct was in 2012. He direct movie that also play in London with Jon Bon Jovi and Thandie Newton (possible reasen why she was asked later for Mission Impossible 2).
    Andrew Davis (The Guardian, Collateral Damage)
    M.J. Bassett. Famale directer. Where some people like to see Christhoper Nolan direct a Bond movie (and i think not yet) mabey Eon should consider Bassett as directer. Watch the trailer of Solomon Kane and Silent Hill: Revelation.
    James Marsh (Shadow Dancer). Later he direct The Theory of Everything (2014), King of Thieves (2018) and last movie direct is Dance First (2023).
    The Theory of Everything
    Bernard Rose. Direct Mr Nice (2010), The Kreutzer Sonata (2008) and Anna Karenina (1997) with Sophie Marceau and Sean Bean.
    Maxime Alexandre. Belgium Directer. Working at some movies as Directer of photopgrahpy for Michael J. Basset. Horror, thriller, drama. Take a look to the trailer of Christopher Roth who a bit CR/QOS.
    John Wells. American directer. (Burnt / The Company Men) Then Roger Deankins (Skyfall/ The Company Men) or Adriano Goldman (Burnt/Trash/360) as cinematographer.

Example of Bernard Rose (Sugest in 2012):

Anna Karenina (1997). 2 years after Goldeneye, 2 years before Twine and from year of Tomorrow Never Dies.

Mr Nice (2010). There is qoute: This is not a James Bond movie. And with Spectre/NTTD is mind a scene with the blond girl look like a bit on Madeline talking against Bond.

The Kreutzer Sonata (2008)

If i take look more present work of Bernard Rose

On the set of The Hurdy Gurdy Man (2018)

Traveling Light (2021)

M.J. Bassett (sugest in 2012) in mean time she direct episodes of tv series like Reacher, The Equalizer, Strike Back and movie named Rogue (2020) and Inside Man 2 (2019)

• edited April 12 Posts: 332
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Umm.. it was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. It was nominated for a Best Directing Oscar. It won an Oscar for Best Actor. It won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.

Right you just have to ignore the reviews, where "critical acclaim" actually comes from.

@Mendes4Lyfe

Look, fantasise all you want. Just stop with a future-telling alright because you're pulling all your predictions from places where the sun doesn't shine. Could Nolan, or Villeneuve, or Campbell make the next Bond film with Turner or whoever, slated for a November '26 release? Sure -- in the sense that no laws of physics would be broken either way. Will any of this happen? We . Have . Absolutely . No . Way . To . Know . At . This . Point!

This is a forum and we talk about Bond26. Everything is fantasy and speculation!
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States

@Mendes4Lyfe

Look, fantasise all you want. Just stop with a future-telling alright because you're pulling all your predictions from places where the sun doesn't shine. Could Nolan, or Villeneuve, or Campbell make the next Bond film with Turner or whoever, slated for a November '26 release? Sure -- in the sense that no laws of physics would be broken either way. Will any of this happen? We . Have . Absolutely . No . Way . To . Know . At . This . Point!

This is a forum and we talk about Bond26. Everything is fantasy and speculation!

But grounded in reality! And most of us don’t try to repeat ourselves!
    MaxCasino wrote: »

@Mendes4Lyfe

Martin Campbell has not retired yet.

• peterpeter Toronto
    MaxCasino wrote: »

@Mendes4Lyfe

💯 💯 💯
  • edited April 12 Posts: 9,771
    the irony is i love fantasy but until we get concrete info anything and everything is possible