Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    So lads, time to count those *crickets* again

EON doing nothing for over two years then asking P&W to write the script would be a truly hellish nightmare scenario. The thought of this being a possible scenario genuinely fills me with pure terror.
  • edited March 26 Posts: 704
    EON doing nothing for over two years then asking P&W to write the script would be a truly hellish nightmare scenario. The thought of this being a possible scenario genuinely fills me with pure terror.

I want to believe that they are lying.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Why?

When have you read one of their untouched scripts, @Colonel_Venus ? All of their scripts have involved various hands and script doctors and producers notes. Brofeld was MGW’s invention. A crazy invisible Aston Martin went from a tactical concept, to the super car via the director of DAD.

What have these guys done that’s so bad? I’m confused about the criticism these guys receive when many of the black marks during their time, seem to be of someone else’s participation in script development.

I’m seriously asking!
    I far prefer that they haven't started testing over having cast someone horribly wrong for the part.
    P&W are fine. Actually some of the more interesting stuff of the modern Bond films come from them. It’s all about the director/who they bring on to develop the script further which makes or breaks these films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »

Why?

When have you read one of their untouched scripts, @Colonel_Venus ? All of their scripts have involved various hands and script doctors and producers notes. Brofeld was MGW’s invention. A crazy invisible Aston Martin went from a tactical concept, to the super car via the director of DAD.

What have these guys done that’s so bad? I’m confused about the criticism these guys receive when many of the black marks during their time, seem to be of someone else’s participation in script development.

I’m seriously asking!

I don't understand it either, I think they seem to come up with good ideas.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic

I don't understand why you guys continue to claim with such certainty that EON has done nothing in the last two or almost three years (since NTTD was launched). What have they done then? Seriously whhat have they done then?? Sit at their office desks every day crossing their arms and staring at the ceiling??? :-S

Just because I don't know what they have done, just because you don't know what they have done, doesn't mean they haven't been doing anything.

Please stop being so pessimistic. We had a six-year stop between Dalton - Brosnan and nothing bad happened, on the contrary, the franchise came renewed and stronger. We had four years between Brosnan - Craig and the same thing happened too. Now we are almost three years old and you guys only complain.

If EON is working, they are doing it behind closed doors so that nothing is disclosed, so that no information is leaked.

;)

I don't understand why you guys continue to claim with such certainty that EON has done nothing in the last two or almost three years (since NTTD was launched). What have they done then? Seriously whhat have they done then?? Sit at their office desks every day crossing their arms and staring at the ceiling??? :-S

Just because I don't know what they have done, just because you don't know what they have done, doesn't mean they haven't been doing anything.

Please stop being so pessimistic. We had a six-year stop between Dalton - Brosnan and nothing bad happened, on the contrary, the franchise came renewed and stronger. We had four years between Brosnan - Craig and the same thing happened too. Now we are almost three years old and you guys only complain.

If EON is working, they are doing it behind closed doors so that nothing is disclosed, so that no information is leaked.

;)

Six year gap between Dalton and Brosnan was hell on earth.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 26 Posts: 7,980

;)

As I said in an earlier post, a lot of heavy lifting is done prior to the actual writing of a script, particularly in a case like this where the previous incarnation has come to a end and a new direction must be decided upon.

(Edit) I also think that they want a certain amount of time from the end of the Craig era.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    talos7 wrote: »

;)

As I said in an earlier post, a lot of heavy lifting is done prior to the actual writing of a script, particularly in a case like this where the previous incarnation has come to a end and a new direction must be decided upon.

(Edit) I also think that they want a certain amount of time from the end of the Craig era.

Can't come quick enough. I only find him quite watchable in CR and that was mostly due to Campbell.

;)

Can't come quick enough. I only find him quite watchable in CR and that was mostly due to Campbell.

🙄
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    George Lazenby backs Aaron Taylor-Johnson for Bond - The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/25/george-lazenby-backs-aaron-taylor-johnson-for-bond
    Dragonpol wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/mar/25/george-lazenby-backs-aaron-taylor-johnson-for-bond

So that he will not remain the worst Bond ?

So that he will not remain the worst Bond ?

I'm sure some people here are hoping he'll only do one.

P.S. I wouldn't say George Lazenby is the worst Bond either.
    I actually like George and think he would have grown into the role and become a more accomplished actor.
    My snarky comment was based on general perception.
    I actually like George and think he would have grown into the role and become a more accomplished actor.

Agreed. You're fine. I just always like to defend Lazenby and Dalton in particular from attack.

Agreed. You're fine. I just always like to defend Lazenby and Dalton in particular from attack.

I'm with you guys, Lazenby gives a great performance, giving Bond another layer and depth. As for Aaron, I think he might be a good Bond, but the rumors he's already been offered the role are false.
  • edited March 26 Posts: 3,279
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

Lol, that jumped out at me as well, “seriously rumored” ok…

English isn't my first language. What I meant:

A tabloid claiming that ATJ did a screentest or has been offered the role = serious rumour.

A tabloid saying that Elba is one of the frontrunners according to bookies therefore might play Bond = not a serious rumour.

ATJ was offered and accepted the role in December 2022 as well, according to the same newspaper back then, and his gunbarrel sequence was shown to the world this time last year.

If it helps, a source I know very close to BB says, no script, no actor cast.

If it helps, my neighbour is best friends with BB's cat, and he says there IS a script, based on the Fleming novels DAF, MR, TSWLM, TMWTGG, and a director - which is actually covered by one person, someone called Nolan.

Noel Gallagher is doing the title song, and ATJ has already done the gun-barrel test, has been fitted with the right suits, and is about to be announced to the world next week, 1st April, 2024.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    💯 on all counts...

And in regards to the role, I don't care if it's ATJ, or Daniel Day Lewis, they're going to test the actors, they're going to measure each actor against the others.

Who else would invest 800 million to a billion dollars, over four projects (in this case four films), and just hand it off to one, untested person?

Who just hands the Batman role off, for the same reason? Or Superman? And as for secret auditions, and secret scripts being written... I mean, Hollywood started to slow down at the beginning of last year, readying for the upcoming writers strike. Not a lot of money was spent, pre-strike because no one wanted to spend cash, not knowing what the outlook of the industry would look like after.

And that strike ended in late September. Most new projects really hit their stride early this year in regards to new writing assignments...

Then you had the actors strike... Which ended in November...

So when were these secret scripts written?

When were the secret auditions done?

Others are reporting that Barbara Broccoli has said she wants ATJ , and no one else (recycling the Craig story), and this likely didn't happen either, because, even with Craig, she auditioned other actors, and it came down to two actors. But some reports are having us believe this is a coronation.

In the end, it's all BS... IF ATJ gets the role it will be after a script, a director and auditions.
    EON didn’t need to screentest others to decide they wanted Craig. Sure they screen tested some others but only to placate MGM.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    EON didn’t need to screentest others to decide they wanted Craig. Sure they screen tested some others but only to placate MGM.

@Colonel_Venus you're making things up. Show me the proof they auditioned Craig to placate MGM, lol!!

You're now literally creating fibs.

MGW wasn't sure about Craig, at first.

Neither was Campbell.

They HAVE to audition. If Craig pooches the process, Cavill would have won the role.

You're now making things up to support the rumour you want to be a reality. Please don't do that.

@Colonel_Venus you're making things up. Show me the proof they auditioned Craig to placate MGM, lol!!

Neither was Campbell.

They HAVE to audition. If Craig pooches the process, Cavill would have won the role.

You're now making things up to support the rumour you want to be a reality. Please don't do that.

If by autition you mean "screen test". I never ever said they auditioned Craig to placate MGM. I said they screen tested OTHERS to placate MGM. Also, I would really appreciate it if you didn't call me a liar. From this point on I will ignore your comments.
  • edited March 26 Posts: 2,900
    Even if hypothetically all of them wanted Craig and no one else, they’d surely still have done the auditions of others for their own benefit just to ensure they had a back up if Craig had dropped out. Considering the amount of names they considered too (supposedly about 200 in the early stages) I’d say that while Craig was likely one of BB’s early favourites and became the front runner during auditions, it seems like they kept their options wide open and weren’t set on him only from the get go.

I mean, I get that in hindsight Craig’s casting seemed inevitable and set in stone, but these things never are. I genuinely think it was the audition process that showed his true capabilities.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Neither was Campbell.

If by autition you mean "screen test". I never ever said they auditioned Craig to placate MGM. I said they screen tested OTHERS to placate MGM. Also, I would really appreciate it if you didn't call me a liar. From this point on I will ignore your comments.

The same question applies: show me the the proof that they screentested/auditioned other actors to placate MGM.

They HAVE to audition actors period, to test their individual talents, and to see how they stack against others.

The best wins, that's how this works.

And I didn't call you a liar, @Colonel_Venus , I said you were fibbing, you were making up a story. So, I do apologize as I don't think you're a liar. But I do think you've contorted something to fit your narrative.

So I do apologize, I should have expanded and explained what I meant by fibbing.

Please accept my apology, but I understand not replying to me-- which may be for the best, since, as I stated last night, we are chasing tails here...
    No screentests were done to placate anyone; it’s part of the process and always will be.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    No matter how good you think someone might be, with that amount of money at risk you would want to be completely 100% certain. Making them pop a dinner suit on and play a scene is no trouble at all comparatively and yet completely essential.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    No matter how good you think someone might be, with that amount of money at risk you would want to be completely 100% certain. Making them pop a dinner suit on and play a scene is no trouble at all comparatively and yet completely essential.

Fully agreed. No Time To Gamble.
    I think ATJ is being forced against his will to become the next Bond. Rescue mission.
    I think ATJ is being forced against his will to become the next Bond. Rescue mission.

Is that why his voice is so high ?