Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited March 25 Posts: 104
    peter wrote: »
    I’ll tell you what I think is happening:

A script is being written, and Villeneuve will be attached as director, if it’s finished in a time that fits his schedule.

I'm not sure if I missed something? If I remember correctly Broccoli or Wilson once said in an interview that they will ask Purvis & Wade to write a script, but was there ever an information that the producers asked Villeneuve regarding Bond 26?

EDIT: Ah my bad, you explained it already, sorry.
    Personally I don't think Villeneuve would be a good choice at this point. I fear it will go too much in the same direction as the last movies.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As script is crucial, but a lot of heavy lifting is done before it gets to that stage. Settling on a story has to be an intense process, not to mention the entire tone and direction this incarnation of Bond will have.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 25 Posts: 8,501
    mtm wrote: »
    B24 is still open too- maybe there are various earnings from the film they have to address even years after it being released.

Just looking through their appointments and I see James Higgins was only removed from being a director of Eon in 2021, upon his death aged 98. I guess he wouldn't have been very active and more advisory if anything, so it seems nice they kept him on the payroll.

That’s make sense. Money still comes in years and years later…

Wow, interesting find, @mtm !! That’s amazing!!

Edit: @talos7 … yes, yes and yes!!!!!!
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    I’ll tell you what I think is happening:

A script is being written, and Villeneuve will be attached as director, if it’s finished in a time that fits his schedule.

I'm not sure if I missed something? If I remember correctly Broccoli or Wilson once said in an interview that they will ask Purvis & Wade to write a script, but was there ever an information that the producers asked Villeneuve regarding Bond 26?

EDIT: Ah my bad, you explained it already, sorry.
    Personally I don't think Villeneuve would be a good choice at this point. I fear it will go too much in the same direction as the last movies.

Perhaps it'll be a similar situation to CR or SF where P&W will begin a script in the story/initial draft stages and then after a director is picked it will be handed over to them/their writers to iron out for creative reasons.

At the end of the day I don't know though. I really don't know how money works on this level of filmmaking either, but maybe P&W have done stuff on an individual/freelance basis? Maybe EON is still very much in that brainstorming/story development stage. No idea about whether the director will be Villeneuve one way or the other...

One thing I do know is that ATJ hasn't been cast and nor is there an announcement imminent... just yet anyway.
    Maybe ATJ has written a screenplay...
    Maybe ATJ has written a screenplay...

According to The Sun
    Personally, I would have preferred it if Villeneuve directed NTTD (although I think Fukunaga did a good job directing-wise) instead of the next movie. For various reasons, Villeneuves directing style would fit very well to the Craig era: Slow, dark, mostly serious in tone.
    If they hire Villeneuve, you would at least have a rough idea of the direction the next era is likely to take (based on his filmography).
    I know I'm in the minority here but while I like some of Villeneuves movies (Blade Runner 2049 is an excellent sequel) I would not look forward to an era which is too similar to the one of Craig (or even surpasses it in terms of seriousness and emotionality).
    Of course you could say that I'm drawing conclusions too prematurely, but at the moment there are no indications that they want to deviate from the style of the last era.
    I want the right director for the right film , not a prestige pick . Now, I’m not saying that Villeneuve would simply be a prestige pick; it all depends what they want to do with the next Bond.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    I vote for this man, he knows what's up

377647_full.jpg

Minimally, I would love for him to shoot the screentests
  • edited March 25 Posts: 486
    @peter Why I think that at this point Nolan is more likely to direct than Villeneuve:

- "Where there's smoke, there's fire" -> ATJ likely really is the frontrunner
    - but they don't start the Bond actor selection until a director is on board and they have at least a draft of the script (this is where you and I agree)
    - which, I believe, means that there *is* a draft and they have selected the director
    - so why not announce a release date and the writers? they pretty much always do it as soon as the writers have signed the contract
    - maybe the writer and the director are the same person and maybe this person is particularly secretive... *cough* Nolan *cough*
    If Nolan wants ATJ for Bond, keep him as far away from the franchise, a “ Prisoner “ if need be…so to speak
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter Why I think that at this point Nolan is more likely to direct than Villeneuve:

- "Where there's smoke, there's fire" -> ATJ likely really is the frontrunner
    - but they don't start the Bond actor selection until a director is on board and they have at least a draft of the script (this is where you and I agree)
    - which, I believe, means that there *is* a draft and they have selected the director
    - so why not announce a release date and the writers? they pretty much always do it as soon as the writers have signed the contract
    - maybe the writer and the director are the same person and maybe this person is particularly secretive... *cough* Nolan *cough*

Listen, @Colonel_Venus , I'm not going to bang n about this too much longer. I don't care how you're piecing this together, but the main industry publications have dropped this story, almost immediately.

In other places in the film industry, no one is talking about this nothing burger. Because it's all b.s.

But if you're so sure, then join me, and put your money where your mouth is, and wait for the "imminent" announcement.

I made a bet that's basically me taking all the risk, and I'm not asking for anything in return.

You should do the same, 😂...
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    If Nolan wants ATJ for Bond, keep him as far away from the franchise, a “ Prisoner “ if need be…so to speak

Amen to that!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @buddyoldchap I'd love Campbell back, the man gets Bond. I'd love him as a producer or executive of the series
    Minimally, I would love for him to shoot the screentests
    I'd love this mate, like I do with EON, I trust his judgement
    but the main industry publications have dropped this story, almost immediately.

In other places in the film industry, no one is talking about this nothing burger.

But it was pretty much the same in the spring of 2005 when Daniel Craig was reported by tabloids to be the frontrunner. Only tabloids discussed it extensively.
  • peterpeter Toronto

In other places in the film industry, no one is talking about this nothing burger.

But it was pretty much the same in the spring of 2005 when Daniel Craig was reported by tabloids to be the frontrunner. Only tabloids discussed it extensively.

We’ve gone through and have already responded (not just me, but others too), why this isn’t anything like last time (please look at the last few pages)!!

So if you keep saying the same thing, and my answers don’t change, then we are chasing tails!

So, have fun waiting for this to come to fruition. There’s not much more we can say on this subject…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

How many tabloid stories have there been about Idris Elba in the last ten or so years? Is that smoke?
  • edited March 25 Posts: 6,677

How many tabloid stories have there been about Idris Elba in the last ten or so years? Is that smoke?

Smoke that thankfully was blown away by time. A very good point. And one to close the argument, I believe. Well done. It's all smoke and no fire.
    Univex wrote: »
    And one to close the argument, I believe.
    It absolutely does not close the argument. Show me a single tabloid article that claimed that Elba was offered the role. Heck, show me one that claimed that he did a screen test. At no point was Elba (or anyone else in the last 2 years) as seriously rumoured as ATJ.
    It absolutely does not close the argument. Show me a single tabloid article that claimed that Elba was offered the role. Heck, show me one that claimed that he did a screen test. At no point was Elba (or anyone else in the last 2 years) as seriously rumoured as ATJ.

I see your point. But I do have a hard time with the word "serious" when you're referring to said rumors. There is no seriousness to those pseudo-articles. None to be seen.

I see your point. But I do have a hard time with the word "serious" when you're referring to said rumors. There is no seriousness to those pseudo-articles. None to be seen.

Lol, that jumped out at me as well, “seriously rumored” ok…

English isn't my first language. What I meant:

A tabloid claiming that ATJ did a screentest or has been offered the role = serious rumour.

A tabloid saying that Elba is one of the frontrunners according to bookies therefore might play Bond = not a serious rumour.

A tabloid claiming that ATJ did a screentest or has been offered the role = serious rumour.

A tabloid saying that Elba is one of the frontrunners according to bookies therefore might play Bond = not a serious rumour.

Well I guess that’s the point the ATJ rumor is no more serious than the Elba rumors; both are tabloid creations that spread throughout countless outlets.Neither is based in fact. The ATJ may appear more serious, because its fabrication includes contrived specifics .
  • edited March 26 Posts: 6,677
    The way I see it, a "serious rumour" is practically an oxymoron, a paradox in the very least. The only serious thing are news. Rumours are just that, tittle-tattle, grapevine furphy, scuttlebutt.

And I see no difference between those two. They are both rumours, and nothing more.

EDIT: I read your post after posting my own, @talos7. Couldn't agree more.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire

Well I guess that’s the point the ATJ rumor is no more serious than the Elba rumors; both are tabloid creations that spread throughout countless outlets.Neither is based in fact. The ATJ may appear more serious, because its fabrication includes contrived specifics .
    Exactly, this. Making the hogwash more elaborate doesn't mean its any less likely to be hogwash. Or balderdash. Or piffle.
  • edited March 26 Posts: 704
    Rumours are rumours.

Nolan or Villeneuve directing Bond is rumour too, by the way.

We have the same clues.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

ATJ was offered and accepted the role in December 2022 as well, according to the same newspaper back then, and his gunbarrel sequence was shown to the world this time last year.

ATJ was offered and accepted the role in December 2022 as well, according to the same newspaper back then, and his gunbarrel sequence was shown to the world this time last year.

If it helps, a source I know very close to BB says, no script, no actor cast.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

If it helps, a source I know very close to BB says, no script, no actor cast.

🙏 Thank you ;)

Should’ve asked for the director, though 😉😁

But I do believe nothing is happening at this point, besides P&W tossing around some ideas while they sip on their respective earl greys.