The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I really, really had a good time with Fast Charlie. It's a suprisingly light-hearted caper. Brosnan is on good form and the accent works much better in the film itself than the trailer led me to believe. There are some genuine chuckle-worthy moments in there and the little bits of violence are suitably gnarly.

Where did you watch it? I can't find it anywhere this side of the pond.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 303
    Maybe in a similar tone to Fast Charlie... I doubt it would ever happen but Taffin 2 could be interesting. Taffin returns to Ballymoran, Ireland to help an old relative or friend pay off a gambling debt and discovers the town is controlled by criminals up to no good.

Bit of trivia about PB's casting...
    Issues arose between the author Lyndon Mallet and the production company surrounding the casting of Pierce Brosnan in the role of Mark Taffin. This was due to the actual nature of the character in the book. In the book, Mark Taffin was never a handsome man; he was overweight and unattractive, a very different image to that portrayed by Brosnan.

A nice problem to have. Too handsome for the role!

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,957
    I did think that Fast Charlie looks like it could be taken as an unofficial sequel to Taffin as they seem not dissimilar characters!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s not unusual to have a disparity between the literary description of a character and the depiction of that character on film, Reacher and Wolverine are two examples. I can understand an author being upset but film is a visual medium and filmmakers are often thinking in terms of a broader audience.
  • bondywondy wrote: »

Mathis1 wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I watched Lawnmower Man last night, PB does look young in that film, the film has not aged well.

it was looked dated when it was released

Yeah I did think of Tron whilst watching this film which was far superior.

Love 'Tron', remember seeing it in the cinema called 'The Ambassador' which used to show films in 70mm, and had great audio! Sadly, no longer a Cinema! All of Arnies 80's movies were shown there, ah, good times!

There was an Opera House near me back in the 80's where I watched a lot of the classics of that time, alas it was bulldozed.

I have always wanted the futuristic black desk that David Warner has in his office in Tron or something similar.lol

I felt 'Tron' was such a one off film experience that I couldn't bring myself to watch 'Tron: Legacy'
    I still haven't seen it!

There was a Lawnmower Man 2.
    Rotten Tomatoes score... 10%. Not a classic then!

=;
    bondywondy wrote: »
    Maybe in a similar tone to Fast Charlie... I doubt it would ever happen but Taffin 2 could be interesting. Taffin returns to Ballymoran, Ireland to help an old relative or friend pay off a gambling debt and discovers the town is controlled by criminals up to no good.

Bit of trivia about PB's casting...
    Issues arose between the author Lyndon Mallet and the production company surrounding the casting of Pierce Brosnan in the role of Mark Taffin. This was due to the actual nature of the character in the book. In the book, Mark Taffin was never a handsome man; he was overweight and unattractive, a very different image to that portrayed by Brosnan.

A nice problem to have. Too handsome for the role!

and he gets to tell someone again, ”Maybe you shouldnt live here anymore!”
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    I really, really had a good time with Fast Charlie. It's a suprisingly light-hearted caper. Brosnan is on good form and the accent works much better in the film itself than the trailer led me to believe. There are some genuine chuckle-worthy moments in there and the little bits of violence are suitably gnarly.

Where did you watch it? I can't find it anywhere this side of the pond.

Sorry for the delay @mtm - I put my VPN to work and caught it on Vudu.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah okay, thanks.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 303
    PB faces prosecution over trespass:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12904817/amp/Pierce-Brosnan-Yellowstone-walkway-path-citation.html
    Leaving designated paths is punishable by up to to six months in jail or $5000 fine

Yikes. Guess he didn't read the park signs.
    I'm sure $5,000 is loose change for him.
  • bondywondy wrote: »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12904817/amp/Pierce-Brosnan-Yellowstone-walkway-path-citation.html
    Leaving designated paths is punishable by up to to six months in jail or $5000 fine

Hasn't he watched Dante's Peak!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,032

Hasn't he watched Dante's Peak!

Sounds like he didn't bring a knife this time. So that part is good.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/pierce-brosnan-airport-hunting-knife-813277/

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe he was on a secret mission to prevent SPECTRE from detonating a nuclear device in the geysers.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought he was all about conserving nature?
    I’m disappointed that we didn’t get a solo Dr.Fate movie with Pierce.He was terrific in that role.
  • I decided to watch The Long Good Friday.
    I didn't realise that Brozzer was in it. His first role as far as I can gather.
  • When I first saw the headline, I got excited thinking PB had been cast in the brilliant Yellowstone TV series
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    At least 22 people have died from burns sustained in Yellowstone’s springs and geysers.
    They include Colin Nathaniel Scott, who is thought to have dissolved in the hot acidic water after leaving the boardwalk at the park’s Norris Geyser Basin in search of a place to soak in 2015.
    Whoever stopped him probably saved his life.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I decided to watch The Long Good Friday.
    I didn't realise that Brozzer was in it. His first role as far as I can gather.

Really, really, really great film, that one.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Mattjoes' Adventures with Pierce Brosnan

Episode 23: Fast Charlie (2023)

I had a lot of fun with this one. I think it's the first film of Brosnan that I watch since The Foreigner. Charlie is such a modest, unassuming movie, yet very well executed. Brosnan plays an internal kind of role, but his charisma still comes to the surface, and he and Morena Baccarin make a great team. While the film is not a comedy, there are plenty of funny moments (especially that "lot to chew on" line). I loved the laundry chute scene. And you know what the climax reminded me of? Car junkyard, revealing that the lead character had a solution planned all along? Yes, Charley Varrick. The one thing they could have improved on are the bad guys. The boss could have been a bit more memorable, or maybe they could have done more with that silent henchman who drank beer. But the movie was a lot of fun, and at 90 minutes, it didn't overstay its welcome.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some shots of Pierce as Sheriff Gabriel Dove in the upcoming Unholy Trinity:

427968034_18419359378041769_8166584315601057906_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=EN1FRRnMitUAX-KJo82&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfDOa6EobDv0ufzQu944Tk231eVsboB-LrhU6dUgJXgcFw&oe=65CE9E34

427970881_18419359387041769_3186691385437187598_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=NCXbTGYegUoAX_hpbjs&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfCcYziPgmrfASipjnKpOCLA3eAX6hncOukbm6Tle1w-yQ&oe=65CEC0B0

427952727_18419359396041769_2288381308890282739_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=scsYrCkhJ6oAX-fyHkz&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfBAlfHLq31VP6O9fLzB7AIqxmiEWC-kewudurWuCeLluQ&oe=65CFB8D9
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    What Happened to Remington Steele (1982-87)?
  • edited March 15 Posts: 303
    Pierce Brosnan pleads guilty and fined for park trespass.
    Actor Pierce Brosnan, who pleaded guilty Thursday to stepping off a trail in a thermal area during a November visit to Yellowstone National Park, got caught after posting pictures online, court records said.

Brosnan, who called in to the court hearing in Mammoth, Wyoming, was fined $500 and ordered to make a $1,000 donation to Yellowstone Forever — a nonprofit organization that supports the park — by April 1, court records said. Prosecutors had recommended a $5,000 fine and a two-year probationary sentence.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/pierce-brosnan-pleads-guilty-yellowstone-case-1235853075/

[-X
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Fast Charlie is now available for UK viewers on Amazon Prime. Finally, been wanting to watch this for a while.
    Actor Pierce Brosnan, who pleaded guilty Thursday to stepping off a trail in a thermal area during a November visit to Yellowstone National Park, got caught after posting pictures online, court records said.

Brosnan, who called in to the court hearing in Mammoth, Wyoming, was fined $500 and ordered to make a $1,000 donation to Yellowstone Forever — a nonprofit organization that supports the park — by April 1, court records said. Prosecutors had recommended a $5,000 fine and a two-year probationary sentence.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/pierce-brosnan-pleads-guilty-yellowstone-case-1235853075/

[-X

Why the " [-X "? If only people were as honest and candid as Pierce, the world would be a better place, I'm sure. So, for him: =D>
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »
    Fast Charlie is now available for UK viewers on Amazon Prime. Finally, been wanting to watch this for a while.

Thanks, I will give that a go. Nice tidy 90mins.

[-X

I love him, but he doesn't always seem the sharpest :) I wonder why on earth he pleaded not guilty first, very silly.
  • Mallory wrote: »

Brilliant. Didn't realise. Will defo watch that soon.
  • Harry Dalton wouldnt approve of PBs trespassing!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 16 Posts: 14,957
    Mallory wrote: »

Just gave it a go: decent, watchable stuff with some nice plot and scene ideas and a sense of humour here and there (although the PPK gag seemed a bit odd). Feels like it wants to be a sort of Elmore Leonard/Tarantino-ish style story here and there and perhaps doesn't quite achieve that level of pleasing narrative complexity, but it's still pleasing enough with a few nicely wacky ideas here and there. 90mins though, can't argue with that- it's nice and tight, generally a cut above the usual B movie fare.
    I wouldn't say he's miscast (although I bet Charlie in the book, and the script for that matter, is a couple of years younger!), but I don't know if this hits the best of Pierce's skillset: he's more of the old smoothie, and maybe this could have used someone a bit more grizzled. But he's a movie star, he makes it work.
    Folks might disagree, but I could see him as a good fit in a Guy Richie project, something like that. Something well-made and in that slightly Bond-ish opulent world that Richie likes to play in, but with a bit of a sense of fun.