Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

delfloria wrote: »
    I just cant picture any actor as good as Craig in the role.. Im prepared to be amazed at who Eon announce

That's what us old timers thought about Connery after seeing DN, FRWL and GF first run.

I wish I'd been in there in the 60s to see the 3 Bs. Bond, The Beatles and George Best!

It was a magical time, capped off, for me, with Ian Fleming's other secret agent, Napoleon Solo and his partner Illya on weekly basis.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    How absolutely surreal it must've been to see the likes of the Connery era in real time in theaters. What an event.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    @Benny I'd love to see Bond in Canada. Do you think it'd be used as a snowy/winter location?

I think a winter timeframe would work well.
    Maybe a train sequence through the Rockies?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited March 8 Posts: 7,981
    I would love a thrilling winter sequence that transitions into a spectacular, Caribbean Island location where Bond is headed for some R&R with some beauty.
    wherEVER it goes, it won't be Canada. Pretty sure there's a law against it. Certainly EON policy against it.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited March 9 Posts: 735
    Since62 wrote: »
    wherEVER it goes, it won't be Canada. Pretty sure there's a law against it. Certainly EON policy against it.

The Miss Moneypenny [literally] of Bond girls?

Solidly reliable but not terribly exciting ....

As TSWLM proved we're good for location shooting and have a long history outside Bond in disguising our cities as American ones for TV and Film.

I think there was something in The Economist a few years back about Canada being the second most boring country in the world. Only Singapore finished ahead of us.

So "boring," evidently, that we couldn't even manage to be the most boring ....
    Except for killing Bond and someone surviving a fall from a plane, I fully expect all to happen. (Maybe the fall if we get a Bond we can't take seriously.) Hopefully during this long gap consideration will be given to where a Bond film hasn't gone before. I am thinking more than locations. I hope what ends up being familiar is the daring and originality as opposed to scenes and stunts and stories we feel we've seen before.

If we must have trains and motorcycles, etc. Then how Bond having to control a runaway antique steam engine. Bond giving chase on a motorcycle with a sidecar or a bicycle. A chase scene on an ocean liner. A rope ladder across a gorge.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CrabKey wrote: »
    My hope is the writers of the next film will avoid the following: train fights, Bond on a motorcycle, DB5 (frequently destroyed), anything to do with diamonds, Bond resigning, being scolded, and put on leave, a mole in the organization, a villain who can predict the thoughts and actions of everyone in order to set traps, Bond falling in love, superhuman henchmen who can fall out of planes and not die, and Bond being killed.

I think these writers did the last Mission Impossible film :)
  • Since62 wrote: »

Hey, f**k you buddy! (Southpark voice)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 9 Posts: 8,090
    If Villeneuve is planning on squeezing in bond before Messiah, then that means an announcement can't be far away.

I remember when they announced Superman Legacy it was Feb 2023 (I think), for a July 2025 release, everyone said "holy moly, that soon?!" and that was 2 years and 4/5 months away. If they want to hit the usual November date in 2026, we're currently 2 years and 8/9 months away. In other words, only about 4 months off the tight schedule that DC set for themselves with Legacy, now known simply as: SUPERMAN.

I think the whole basis of Villeneuve being on board is that a movie happens sooner than later, and if so it's very likely we get some announcements in the coming months.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mont Tremblant
    https://www.cntraveler.com/hotels/mont-tremblant/fairmont-tremblant

https://www.tripsavvy.com/mont-tremblant-for-visitors-1482018

Banff:

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/563724078335415547/?amp_client_id=CLIENT_ID(_)&mweb_unauth_id={{default.session}}&amp_url=https://www.pinterest.jp/amp/pin/563724078335415547/&open_share=t

https://www.google.com/search?q=banff alberta summer&hl=en-ca&udm=2&uds=AMwkrPsMfcRgrN4GQDdVf4AmzISZQBQHaVA2RYvICedNb16wy7TLFVetNoLnJTTzbrvTNiYwpO_xp_1263rCdBYio4wY6-FbPWVpp5ZX1q2PsCpD6Pihk7wzvYSEbajZZQyQMfSgNnSyKyYdtZn1u3PYtOXBYomhvnmvBdIUcA7rZxKQIe4BVvu_8RtckCS97fwZmGVz9IW7FyZwTJrgUyeT-9AbsAl4GnvMHHRjaPOQ_-loPG0OW_CJh-OwcSXho1CksRjrU7Y2L0K47tVstIsoITM5cVfpO-vnLO5RZ7jmZpPiHCQN3Vk&sa=X&ved=0CBYQtI8BKABqFwoTCJjrsbCC54QDFQAAAAAdAAAAABBj&biw=428&bih=745&dpr=3#imgrc=iVeYy_aCb7WJqM&imgdii=_ThvR8hvKYRylM

Montreal is a great city too. Very cool (and I’d say that, although nothing could ever stand in for NYC, Montreal makes a better cover for this city in films, compared to Toronto).

Old Quebec Cit is absolutely gorgeous, as well as Banff — in all seasons.

Toronto is generic, cluttered and confused, and that’s why it can stand in for a lot of generic North American cities but couldn’t naturally serve as a location for a Bond film.

But there are places in this huge country that have the class and visual aesthetics to be able to land a 007 film. Certainly not for the entirety of a 007 adventure, but a pre title sequence. Or a sequence, or two, while Bond is tracking down a lead….

I wouldn’t discount Canada (and I think Boyle was looking at Alberta when he was on B25, plus; our film tax credit system, combined with a strong US dollar, is attractive to productions (the combination delivers way more bang to the $$$) ).

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Just how 'real-world' does everyone want the new Bond era to be?

Are you in favour of larger-than-life henchmen with colourful names, or do you want more grounded enemies? Big Ken Adam-style sets, or more real-world locations? Tricked-out supercars and jetpacks, or just Bond with a Rolex wrapped around his fist as a makeshift knuckleduster?

Do you want a mix of the above, and just where do you draw the line?
  • peterpeter Toronto

Are you in favour of larger-than-life henchmen with colourful names, or do you want more grounded enemies? Big Ken Adam-style sets, or more real-world locations? Tricked-out supercars and jetpacks, or just Bond with a Rolex wrapped around his fist as a makeshift knuckleduster?

Depends on the story, really.

But I’m always up for some beautiful Ken Adams type of art direction.
  • edited March 9 Posts: 2,911

I’d personally like the more fantastical sort of things (the lairs, megalomaniac villains, henchmen, gadgets etc) but depicted in a way in which they’re grounded, we feel Bond is in genuine danger, and there’s a good dash of darkness and drama amongst the escapism. Not quite as ‘5 minutes into the future’ as NTTD, DAD, MR or YOLT (at least just yet) but not immune to a sense of fantasy.

So I suppose not dissimilar in spirit to the likes of DN and GE.
  • edited March 9 Posts: 707

I want all of this. The movies can have a different tone.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    007HallY wrote: »

I’d personally like the more fantastical sort of things (the lairs, megalomaniac villains, henchmen, gadgets etc) but depicted in a way in which they’re grounded, we feel Bond is in genuine danger, and there’s a good dash of darkness and drama amongst the escapism. Not quite as ‘5 minutes into the future’ as NTTD, DAD, MR or YOLT (at least just yet) but not immune to a sense of fantasy.

Yes, that's pretty much where I stand. I think Bond needs to dip his toe into the bizarre and end up in a world a little apart from our own, but he should always remain recognisably human - an exceptional man, but still just a man. I've compared him to Odysseus before, as an ordinary man who has journeyed into a strange land with strange menaces, who has to rely on wits and ordinary muscle to survive against the fantastical. Visually I want fantastic locations rather than the real world of Bourne and le Carré.

Yes, that's pretty much where I stand. I think Bond needs to dip his toe into the bizarre and end up in a world a little apart from our own, but he should always remain recognisably human - an exceptional man, but still just a man. I've compared him to Odysseus before, as an ordinary man who has journeyed into a strange land with strange menaces, who has to rely on wits and ordinary muscle to survive against the fantastical. Visually I want fantastic locations rather than the real world of Bourne and le Carré.

Yeah, I agree and like that analogy a lot.

I mean, I’m not in the game of making predictions, but it’d make sense if that was broadly the direction they’ll decide to take. NTTD embraced a lot more of those ‘traditional’ Bond elements (the big lair, the villain with a world domination plan etc) while maintaining a sense of darkness. Considering each new Bond era always retains something from the previous one it’s not unlikely (but again, I can’t say for sure). It might be quite cool seeing all those classical tropes ‘reimagined’ in certain ways I guess.
    If Villeneuve is planning on squeezing in bond before Messiah, then that means an announcement can't be far away.

It's not about squeezing in Bond before Messiah. He 100% wants to make a movie before Messiah anyway. It's about squeezing in Bond before Messiah AND another movie (Rendezvous with Rama or Cleopatra). Otherwise you are right, if he is going to direct Bond 26, it will be announced within months.
  • peterpeter Toronto

It's not about squeezing in Bond before Messiah. He 100% wants to make a movie before Messiah anyway. It's about squeezing in Bond before Messiah AND another movie (Rendezvous with Rama or Cleopatra). Otherwise you are right, if he is going to direct Bond 26, it will be announced within months.

Only if it’s the project that “needs to see the light of day quickly”, which means if this secret project’s script isn’t ready in some allotted time, then there won’t be any such announcement.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 9 Posts: 1,368
    The only thing about Villeneuve's slow burn style I like is, the time given to the viewer to immerse himself/herself into the world he has created. I can't imagine Villeneuve directing NTTD, without showing more of Jamaica and not including Bond with the harpoon gun as originally intended. The reason why NTTD doesn't feels like it drags is because, there are a lots of short scenes that ends too quickly.
  • edited March 9 Posts: 1,518
    mtm wrote: »
    CrabKey wrote: »
    My hope is the writers of the next film will avoid the following: train fights, Bond on a motorcycle, DB5 (frequently destroyed), anything to do with diamonds, Bond resigning, being scolded, and put on leave, a mole in the organization, a villain who can predict the thoughts and actions of everyone in order to set traps, Bond falling in love, superhuman henchmen who can fall out of planes and not die, and Bond being killed.

I think these writers did the last Mission Impossible film :)

Bond has always been unique. I hope future films can continue to be original and distinguish themselves from everything else.

Yes, the films can lighten up a bit, more along the lines of early Bond. Let's not return to a Jaws-like character biting through cables, a wheelchair bound Blofeld dropped down a chimney, Tarzan yells, wheeled gondolas, and double take pigeons. Silliness undermines the seriousness of Bond's character.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The only thing about Villeneuve's slow burn style I like is, the time given to the viewer to immerse himself/herself into the world he has created. I can't imagine Villeneuve directing NTTD, without showing more of Jamaica and not including Bond with the harpoon gun as originally intended. The reason why NTTD doesn't feels like it drags is because, there are a lots of short scenes that ends too quickly.

I would guess that Fukunaga uses a storytelling tool: start late, get out early.

This applies to the micro (individual scenes), and the macro (sequences and the overall story).

The goal is to never overstay the welcome, and to have the audience wanting more, with the belief that it’s better and more positive to have an audience wanting more, than complaining that a film overstayed its welcome (one could argue that Spectre did this in both individual scenes, and the overall story (I’ve heard many valid complaints that the film should have ended at Blofeld’s lair, rather than an extra 20 minutes in London))…
    peter wrote: »

I would guess that Fukunaga uses a storytelling tool: start late, get out early.

This applies to the micro (individual scenes), and the macro (sequences and the overall story).

The goal is to never overstay the welcome, and to have the audience wanting more, with the belief that it’s better and more positive to have an audience wanting more, than complaining that a film overstayed its welcome (one could argue that Spectre did this in both individual scenes, and the overall story (I’ve heard many valid complaints that the film should have ended at Blofeld’s lair, rather than an extra 20 minutes in London))…

Yeah. Agreed. Just that I felt the endings of most scenes in NTTD have this abrupt sort of ending to them.
  • edited March 9 Posts: 511

Great comment. Love the comparison. I think the same way. Even the Fleming novels have a bit of a supernatural bend to them. Red Grant FRWL having a relationship with the full moon, all the Blofeld castle stuff in YOLT. Even the name "Spectre" is a little out there.

Agree as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    https://screenrant.com/james-bond-26-box-office-challenge-biggest/

https://screenrant.com/james-bond-26-worrying-reasons-problems-future/#there-are-more-spy-movies-and-tv-shows-than-ever-before

Two articles that have some interesting points in each…

The first is from a couple days ago.

The second was from last month.
    For a bit of colour and wild creativity for Bond 26, I think a modern villian who lives and dresses like a 17th century Englishman would be entertaining. He's a loner villain who dresses like Edward Teach, but is very hard for Bond to defeat. He is shadowy and highly elusive.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For a bit of colour and wild creativity for Bond 26, I think a modern villian who lives and dresses like a 17th century Englishman would be entertaining. He's a loner villain who dresses like Edward Teach, but is very hard for Bond to defeat. He is shadowy and highly elusive.

Not quite the same but Connery looked positively charming as a villain with a formal fashion style in The Avengers.

10407_5.jpg

I thought it worked for that film. It could work for Bond too. I certainly wouldn't mind it. So far, I've always rather liked the outfits of our villains.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I do think they'd be better served having a grounded plot for the next film. I don't envy writers and producers, it must be tough to try to come up with credible threats that aren't too close to anything real world.