Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

With all the UK papers going all in with Cillian Murphy as next Bond story, is it actually worth considering (just for a second) that perhaps, maybe, he would be a perfect fit for Bond considering where the franchise is right now?
    I don't see Cillian Murphy for one second wanting (at the age of 47) to be tied down to a multi-picture deal. He's not that sort of actor and (to be blunt) he's the wrong age to do multiple movies. But at 47, he could EASILY do one (maybe two) movies - possibly shot back-to-back?
    He could be a pallet cleanser before we get a FULL REBOOT. He could be the Lazenby between Connery & Moore (I know Connery did DAF after OHMSS). A stand-alone Bond you can watch on Bank Holiday's without having seen any other in the franchise.
    So, we get a great actor in a great single blockbuster Bond movie. A wham, bam, thank you mam like we got with Lazenby.
    And if the story was a stand alone, why not have it set in the Fleming accurate 50's / 60's? And can you image a Chris Nolan or Denis Villeneuve directed Bond set in this time period, with Cillian Murphy AS JAMES BOND!
    Goosebumps. I might be alone, but this would be pretty magical.
  • edited March 8 Posts: 705
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if Bond 7 wins us over in the first 15 minutes. Because he should. The history of the franchise is built around actors who should do exactly that. The idea an indeterminate space of time is needed to separate the next Bond from Craig eludes me. When that film finally arrives, I doubt anyone will be saying, "too soon."

If he's better looking than Craig, he probably won't have too much difficulty..
    SonofSean wrote: »
    With all the UK papers going all in with Cillian Murphy as next Bond story, is it actually worth considering (just for a second) that perhaps, maybe, he would be a perfect fit for Bond considering where the franchise is right now?
    I don't see Cillian Murphy for one second wanting (at the age of 47) to be tied down to a multi-picture deal. He's not that sort of actor and (to be blunt) he's the wrong age to do multiple movies. But at 47, he could EASILY do one (maybe two) movies - possibly shot back-to-back?
    He could be a pallet cleanser before we get a FULL REBOOT. He could be the Lazenby between Connery & Moore (I know Connery did DAF after OHMSS). A stand-alone Bond you can watch on Bank Holiday's without having seen any other in the franchise.
    So, we get a great actor in a great single blockbuster Bond movie. A wham, bam, thank you mam like we got with Lazenby.
    And if the story was a stand alone, why not have it set in the Fleming accurate 50's / 60's? And can you image a Chris Nolan or Denis Villeneuve directed Bond set in this time period, with Cillian Murphy AS JAMES BOND!

I suppose it makes sense the tabloids would be talking about Murphy for Bond considering Oppenheimer. But IIRC he’s said openly it doesn’t interest him at all, and that he’s too old. I think they also want an actor to be in the role for a good amount of time (ideally at least 8 years) just to maintain a sense that ‘x is James Bond’ so I don’t think they’ll go for a one off film or a ‘palette cleanser’.

There’s a lot to be said about period pieces/whether setting a Bond adventure in contemporary times is actually closer to the spirit of the Fleming novels. I think the biggest hurdle for that idea is that beyond the Bond fandom (and keep in mind some of us really don’t like this idea) I really cannot see a faithful period adaptation of, say, DAF having much appeal.
    007HallY wrote: »

I suppose it makes sense the tabloids would be talking about Murphy for Bond considering Oppenheimer. But IIRC he’s said openly it doesn’t interest him at all, and that he’s too old. I think they also want an actor to be in the role for a good amount of time (ideally at least 8 years) just to maintain a sense that ‘x is James Bond’ so I don’t think they’ll go for a one off film or a ‘palette cleanser’.

There’s a lot to be said about period pieces/whether setting a Bond adventure in contemporary times is actually closer to the spirit of the Fleming novels. I think the biggest hurdle for that idea is that beyond the Bond fandom (and keep in mind some of us really don’t like this idea) I really cannot see a faithful period adaptation of, say, DAF having much appeal.

Skyfall didn't have much appeal either. What matters is how you do it.
  • edited March 8 Posts: 2,902

The most successful Bond film of all time didn’t have much appeal?

Do you mean the creative decisions didn’t have much appeal before they were done in SF? Not sure about that either. I genuinely don’t get what you mean.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 8 Posts: 8,505
    How did SF not have appeal?

Do you mean the creative decisions didn’t have much appeal before? Not sure about that either. I genuinely don’t get what you mean.

The story doen't have much appeal. It could have been TWINE in other hands.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 8 Posts: 8,505

Do you mean the creative decisions didn’t have much appeal before? Not sure about that either. I genuinely don’t get what you mean.

What elements in the story didn’t appeal?

A missing list of embedded agents in terrorist organizations?

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

A personal vendetta against M?

Having to save M from her past?

What elements didn’t work Deke? Or are you just stating the first thing that comes to mind? Genuinely asking.

The story takes a lot from TWINE, but reusing ideas from other films isn’t uncommon for Bond (I mean, TSWLM is basically an updated YOLT, FYEO uses a lot of FRWL, DAD is arguably a loose remake of DAF etc).

Also I’m not really sure it’s true that the story didn’t have much appeal. I remember at the time people finding the idea of Bond getting injured/having to deal with all his hurdles throughout the film great. A lot of people would say SF has story similarities to, say, TDK, which was an incredibly successful film. So I’m not really sure I agree mate.
    peter wrote: »

A missing list of embedded agents?

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

What elements didn’t work Deke? Or are you just stating the first thing that comes to mind? Genuinely asking.

These are very common spy things.

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

But then surely they’d have some level of appeal if they were common tropes in other films… 🤔
  • peterpeter Toronto

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

But then surely they’d have some level of appeal if they were common tropes in other films… 🤔

Exactly. The rule of thumb in storytelling in films is: give me something familiar, but different (I am not joking or being hyperbolic).

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

Exactly. The rule of thumb in storytelling in films is: give me something familiar, but different (I am not joking or being hyperbolic).

You can do the same with DAF.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

What are you talking about?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Benny I'd love to see Bond in Canada. Do you think it'd be used as a snowy/winter location?

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

You can do it with any Bond film. I personally would love to see them try to reuse elements/the basic premise of TMWTGG for a future film.

And yeah, that’s pretty much why we get things like genres (obviously not just in film). Hell, all Bond films themselves are pretty much ‘familiar, but different’ in spirit anyway.

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

You can do it with any Bond film. I personally would love to see them try to reuse elements/the basic premise of TMWTGG for a future film.

And yeah, that’s pretty much why we get things like genres (obviously not just in film). Hell, all Bond films themselves are pretty much ‘familiar, but different’ in spirit anyway.

Yeah, and a period movie doesn't mean old fashioned.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

Yep 👍🏻…

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

Yeah, and a period movie doesn't mean old fashioned.

I don’t disagree. But I never said a Bond period piece would be old fashioned. Just that I don’t think it’s in the spirit of the original novels/films, and I don’t think it’d get many people beyond some Bond fans interested. I don’t think it would add anything creatively to the franchise and it wouldn’t be a good gamble for success. But that’s just my opinion.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring

Ok Deke.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I said this on a different page but I think it applies here:
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Fleming's Bond has a whole essence that can be captured without delving back into adapting specific elements.

Bond’s rumoured death?

Cyber attacks?

Yep 👍🏻…

Well said.
    My hope is the writers of the next film will avoid the following: train fights, Bond on a motorcycle, DB5 (frequently destroyed), anything to do with diamonds, Bond resigning, being scolded, and put on leave, a mole in the organization, a villain who can predict the thoughts and actions of everyone in order to set traps, Bond falling in love, superhuman henchmen who can fall out of planes and not die, and Bond being killed.
  • edited March 8 Posts: 486
    I know that the producers usually shy away from anything topical, but the Russian invasion of Ukraine being part of the plot of Bond 26 would be great. Sure, many would say that it's propaganda but so what? Even if it were propaganda, a propaganda movie can still be a great movie. (Btw, I really wish Disney still made propagandistic animated shorts.)
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    My hope is the writers of the next film will avoid the following: train fights, Bond on a motorcycle, DB5 (frequently destroyed), anything to do with diamonds, Bond resigning, being scolded, and put on leave, a mole in the organization, a villain who can predict the thoughts and actions of everyone in order to set traps, Bond falling in love, superhuman henchmen who can fall out of planes and not die, and Bond being killed.

Add this to your list. M having trust issues with him, and then saying he’s the best, or something along those lines. Also, don’t have M’s past catch up with them. It makes them more of a villain than the actual villain. M needs to be cut back for awhile.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I am pretty sure they won't kill Bond in the near future.

But there's a good chance we will see the next Bond on a motorcycle, somewhere in his era; I'd also bet there could be a train fight sequence somewhere in the next decade, as well as an unstoppable henchman, and I'm sure Bond will be scolded by more than one person (seems to go hand in hand with these films. After all, when a character marches to the beat of his own drum, he will tick off superiors, allies, girlfriends. I like Bond being forced to eat humble pie every so often). I have a feeling if the DB5 comes back, it'll be later in the new Bond era...

I don't know, Crabkey, but I'm thinking a good third of your list will be seen in some form in ongoing intinerations of this character.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What I'm eager to see is how much of the Craig era they wish to retain but also how different they want it to be, whether it's in how Bond is presented or acts, the layout and structure of the era as a whole, lighthearted versus dark, campy versus serious, etc.
    I know that the producers usually shy away from anything topical, but the Russian invasion of Ukraine being part of the plot of Bond 26 would be great. Sure, many would say that it's propaganda but so what? Even if it were propaganda, a propaganda movie can still be a great movie. (Btw, I really wish Disney still made propagandistic animated shorts.)

The war may be over before the movie is released. Who Knows?

delfloria wrote: »
    I just cant picture any actor as good as Craig in the role.. Im prepared to be amazed at who Eon announce

That's what us old timers thought about Connery after seeing DN, FRWL and GF first run.

I wish I'd been in there in the 60s to see the 3 Bs. Bond, The Beatles and George Best!
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    delfloria wrote: »
    I just cant picture any actor as good as Craig in the role.. Im prepared to be amazed at who Eon announce

That's what us old timers thought about Connery after seeing DN, FRWL and GF first run.

I wish I'd been in there in the 60s to see the 3 Bs. Bond, The Beatles and George Best!

And Batman!