Which actor would make a good Bond villain?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Late to the party but Pedro Alonso would make for suuuuuch a good villain/henchman in the series.

I personally hope the next main Bond villain is some international talent that isn't terribly recognized by Hollywood audiences. I don't want another huge A-lister taking on the role.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,934
    Csokas has been a Bourne and Equaliser villain, though. I know it's been a while now, but he might still be a bit too familiar. Mind you, he was, er, 'seeing' Eva Green for a few years in the mid-'00s, so it's always good to see him take some punishment when the hero catches up to him... ;)
    In the 1980's and early 1990's, I hoped Jürgen Prochnow to beoame a Bond villain, but at 82, he is too old.

aa06608ad3fb7fdac1fc614fcb7944e2.jpg

Then, why not Mikael Persbrandt?
    800px-Mikael_Persbrandt_p%C3%A5_premi%C3%A4r.JPG

And there are the so often again actors like Idris Elba, Daniel Kaluyya, David Ojelowo, Mark Strong...

And the other ususal German suspects.

Sebastian Koch

Sebastian_Koch_2011.jpg

Thomas Kretschmann
    Thomas_Kretschmann_in_March_2012.jpg

Christian Berkel
    Christian_Berkel_Berlinale_2009.jpg

All very good suggestions. But given the age of some of them, they'd need to be cast now.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Csokas has been a Bourne and Equaliser villain, though. I know it's been a while now, but he might still be a bit too familiar. Mind you, he was, er, 'seeing' Eva Green for a few years in the mid-'00s, so it's always good to see him take some punishment when the hero catches up to him... ;)

And XXX villiain too.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,934
    Good point. Yeah, Csokas is a bit over-exposed as a villain in a spy movie, really. It might be worth them looking for someone who's in a similar position now to the one Mads was in back in 2006 - a character actor with a good reputation, usually in non-English language films so he's not overly-familiar to a general audience. Anyone fit that bill?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hell, get Csokas just so he can be a surprise ally to Bond's. Most audiences who recognize his face wouldn't expect that.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Good point. Yeah, Csokas is a bit over-exposed as a villain in a spy movie, really. It might be worth them looking for someone who's in a similar position now to the one Mads was in back in 2006 - a character actor with a good reputation, usually in non-English language films so he's not overly-familiar to a general audience. Anyone fit that bill?

That Polish actor Danny Boyle wanted for the villain in NTTD? I was not keen on Boyle directing the movie, but liked the idea of a return to unknown veteran actors from Europe.

Or maybe one of these guys?
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0832509/bio/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0960276/

Yes I'm watching a lot of Norwegian content on Netflix.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,261
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

That Polish actor Danny Boyle wanted for the villain in NTTD? I was not keen on Boyle directing the movie, but liked the idea of a return to unknown veteran actors from Europe.

Or maybe one of these guys?
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0832509/bio/?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0960276/

Yes I'm watching a lot of Norwegian content on Netflix.

That Tomasz Kot bloke? Why not?
    625f3b20d0bbdd4bceca64863fc8.jpeg

Or Goran Visnjic? (I know he was considered as a possibele Bond actor, before Craig got the part.

Yes Tomasz Kot. He'd probably work even better opposing a new, younger Bond.

As for Goran Visnjic, I never understood the appeal.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    1470902.entity.4_3.jpg

Ulrich Matthes was offered the role of Le Chiffre in CR, but declined because of his commitment at the Deutsches Theater Berlin, the play in question being, methinks, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (or was is it Chekhovs THE SEAGULL?). In the 1990's he was the German voice of Kenneth Branagh...
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Uma Thurman
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,519
    I'd love an unknown, some talented underrated European actor, so you don't know what to expect from them
    1470902.entity.4_3.jpg

Ulrich Matthes was offered the role of Le Chiffre in CR, but declined because of his commitment at the Deutsches Theater Berlin, the play in question being, methinks, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (or was is it Chekhovs THE SEAGULL?). In the 1990's he was the German voice of Kenneth Branagh...

He'd be perfect. I've seen him in Munich the Edge of War where he played Hitler. He was both chilling and charming. Given his age, he'd need to be cast now.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'd love an unknown, some talented underrated European actor, so you don't know what to expect from them

Yup me too.
  • Joe Pantoliano.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

It'd be a fun twist if they had a big, flashy American name positioned as the villain in marketing — but in actuality it was an unknown European actor.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm onboard getting Paul Giamatti into a Bond film.
    If he wants to play the villain with an accent, then let it be so.
    I wonder what kind of accent he has in mind!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,048
    Canadian?

Maybe Admiral Chuck Farrell's angry sibling?

Canadian?

Maybe Admiral Chuck Farrell's angry sibling?

Hahaha, he does look a bit like him!
    Watching Suburra: Blood on Rome on Netflix. Not sure if I'll watch more, but there are few actors there that just have the look of a Bond villain.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Paul Giamatti in Shoot Em Up mode would be a lot of fun.
    The more I'm watching Suburra, the more I think half the cast could play Bond villains of some sort, henchmen or main baddies.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Taz (One Piece) Skylar would make a great henchman-style bad guy, what with his bleached buzz-cut hairstyle and all that high-kicking practice he's had lately.
  • Adam Driver
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    One of the other threads jokingly considered Jason Statham as Blofeld, but if we want some kick ass fight scenes with Blofeld, that sounds good to me? I'm not joking.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have two candidates, one of which I've mentioned before, but what the hell.
    Whilst he probably wouldn't want to play a villain again in a major film series, I was watching No Country For Old Men last night, and I thought Josh Brolin could make an interesting Bond villain.
    Been a while since we had an American actor play a foe for Bond. Brolin is also a good actor, who could play it either tough or psychological style of villain.

The other is of course Paul Giamatti, who's pretty much amazing in everything he does.
    I'm thinking of a Goldfinger type villain for him, larger than life and right on the edge of totally insane and keeping it together.
    Benny wrote: »
    I have two candidates, one of which I've mentioned before, but what the hell.
    Whilst he probably wouldn't want to play a villain again in a major film series, I was watching No Country For Old Men last night, and I thought Josh Brolin could make an interesting Bond villain.
    Been a while since we had an American actor play a foe for Bond. Brolin is also a good actor, who could play it either tough or psychological style of villain.

The other is of course Paul Giamatti, who's pretty much amazing in everything he does.
    I'm thinking of a Goldfinger type villain for him, larger than life and right on the edge of totally insane and keeping it together.

I know the character wasn't American, but Rami Malek is an American actor.
    I generally prefer veteran European actors for Bond villains.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I generally prefer veteran European actors for Bond villains.

I concur, another reason why I never liked the Brosnan era!