Which actor would make a good Bond villain?

1181920212224»

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »
    I generally prefer veteran European actors for Bond villains.
    Yes, I too agree with this.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I watch a lot of subtitled film and TV shows, but the thing is knowing which of these great actors actually can act in English, as I don't think we'll ever get a Bond film with more than a few minutes of subtitles.
    I’ve always loved Mads’ accent. His english got better throughout the years, but thankfully he kept that creepy lisped accent.
    I watch a lot of subtitled film and TV shows, but the thing is knowing which of these great actors actually can act in English, as I don't think we'll ever get a Bond film with more than a few minutes of subtitles.

That can be determined with an audition.

I'd add to my previous comment that I prefer when the actor playing the villain is also relatively unknown internationally.

I don’t think you understood my point. :(

From what I understood you mean his acting skills can be lessened if he doesn't speak in his native language? Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I understood you mean his acting skills can be lessened if he doesn't speak in his native language? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, what I meant was I feel stupid saying actor X would be perfect for a Bond villain if I don't even know if they speak English. Nicholas Ofczarek is great in the Austrian/German police series Der Pass (aka Pagan Peak), but is he a good suggestion if he doesn't speak English? Dito for Korean actor Cha Seung-won, who I've seen in several roles now, but again, is it worth me throwing his name into the mix if I don't know if he speaks English? .

I felt one problem the cancelled Netflix show 1899 had was that it had brought together all these talented actors from various international shows, but they were limited to acting against other actors who spoke the same language. I think more English-as-a-first-language speakers are getting more open to watching drama that is subtitled, but I don't think it's enough that we'll get a Bond film that has more than 5 minutes of subtitles, and even if we did, I think if two actors are not able to communicate in one language it makes playing against each other difficult (not impossible, mind you).

Obviously an audition would decide one way or another if an actor can speak English, but until then I just feel a bit funny making suggestions that might be totally non-viable for basic reasons.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Chris Pine is not often an actor I think about until I'm actually watching him.

And whether he plays a hero (StartTrek), or an anti hero (Hell or High Water), I always marvel at his value. He is one helluva solid and consistent performer.

I found him downright creepy in Don't Worry Darling, and would love to see him as the lead villain in the new Bond era.

He'd be older than the new Bond, but not by too much. He's in great shape and could pose a physical, as well as an intellectual match against the younger double-0....

It seems that whatever role Pine plays, his effort is always at the forefront, so he has the talent and charisma to pull off someone truly haunting, a physical and mental match for Bond, and he'd help elevate the entire project by being the opposite force of nature to whomever picks up the tuxedo...

I never give Pine enough credit, but I'd certainly plunk down my $$ to see him give Bond a run for his money... (And there haven't been too many American villains in the series (Savalas, Kotto, Walken, Baker, Davi, Malek. Not a bad rogues gallery, minus Baker and to others, Malek))

No, what I meant was I feel stupid saying actor X would be perfect for a Bond villain if I don't even know if they speak English. Nicholas Ofczarek is great in the Austrian/German police series Der Pass (aka Pagan Peak), but is he a good suggestion if he doesn't speak English? Dito for Korean actor Cha Seung-won, who I've seen in several roles now, but again, is it worth me throwing his name into the mix if I don't know if he speaks English? .

I felt one problem the cancelled Netflix show 1899 had was that it had brought together all these talented actors from various international shows, but they were limited to acting against other actors who spoke the same language. I think more English-as-a-first-language speakers are getting more open to watching drama that is subtitled, but I don't think it's enough that we'll get a Bond film that has more than 5 minutes of subtitles, and even if we did, I think if two actors are not able to communicate in one language it makes playing against each other difficult (not impossible, mind you).

Obviously an audition would decide one way or another if an actor can speak English, but until then I just feel a bit funny making suggestions that might be totally non-viable for basic reasons.

Nowadays it's very rare to find actors who don't have at least a functional knowledge of English, although not always enough to be comfortable acting in English at their full capacity, so to speak. Again, an audition would determine it.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    The last three villains have been played by Oscar-winning actors...
    • Javier Bardem
    • Christoph Waltz
    • Rami Malek

...it would be interesting if Cillian Murphy is the next villain (with Nolan as director)

;)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I apologize in advance, but someone put this up on Social Media. Introduce the Spang Brothers, as they have never be seen before. 432664049_1531007057468358_4588626955162827802_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=fje9yUwUbyQAX_DxWId&_nc_oc=AQnaHLoU8BX2qSHOw9F_fxmOLqE1Zx70ySoyRzTWA_5t8ht7plr0IOTjq9YsobW304A&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-2.xx&oh=00_AfC-lEPsuXajbsCniBAjLI0EPRb3Bdi34JFKeedpRiP3WA&oe=65FA30A9
    Watching the Roman Empire Netflix series and so many actors in it could play Bond villains, either main ones or henchmen. And it's narrated by Sean Bean. There's a few fine looking ladies who could make great Bond girls too, they are suitably beautiful and exotic.

Oh and I'm also watching South African crime series Ludik, with Arnold Vosloo. Apart from Vosloo himself, there are a number of very capable actors there with good "villainous" faces, all veteran actors but pretty much unknown.
    Oh and I'm also watching South African crime series Ludik, with Arnold Vosloo. Apart from Vosloo himself, there are a number of very capable actors there with good "villainous" faces, all veteran actors but pretty much unknown.

Yeah, SA actor Steven John Ward who plays Mihawk on the Netflix show One Piece has great Bond villain potential, having a very Dalton-esque look, but more evil. Could be a great counterpart to Bond.

Yeah, SA actor Steven John Ward who plays Mihawk on the Netflix show One Piece has great Bond villain potential, having a very Dalton-esque look, but more evil. Could be a great counterpart to Bond.

He's a bit young for a main villain though.

I thought Jandre Le Roux could be a suitably menacing henchman, maybe even a main villain if he's got the acting chops. Rob van Vuuren has a creepy face and the right age. Zane Meas is good too, although he looks like such a nice guy I'm not certain he'd work as a villain.
    Watching Heart of the Hunter on Netflix. There's a few actors there who could play Bond villains, main ones or henchmen.
    I probably said it before but Sam Troughton. He was great in Sam Mendes' 2014 take on King Lear. I always imagined he'd make a more menacing, creepier Denbigh. Now that he matured,,he'd be the perfect age to be a Bond villain.
    Jessica Chastain was asked if she'd like to portray Bond and she said nay, and that she'd much rather torture Bond. She has expressed a desire, then, to portray either a Bond Villain, or a Villain's Henchperson -- or a bureaucrat who puts Bond through training and paperwork and berates Bond for his treatment of government property, ranging from Supercars to paper clips. In other words - who tortures him. As such a bureaucrat would know, torture is worse for the victim if you keep them alive, and thereby get to torture them more, and more, and more...
    Since62 wrote: »
    Jessica Chastain was asked if she'd like to portray Bond and she said nay, and that she'd much rather torture Bond. She has expressed a desire, then, to portray either a Bond Villain, or a Villain's Henchperson -- or a bureaucrat who puts Bond through training and paperwork and berates Bond for his treatment of government property, ranging from Supercars to paper clips. In other words - who tortures him. As such a bureaucrat would know, torture is worse for the victim if you keep them alive, and thereby get to torture them more, and more, and more...
    One of the most entertainingly hissable villains I've come across in spy fiction was an SIS-employed lawyer named "Bunny" in le Carré's A Legacy of Spies. Tom Hollander's narration in the audiobook gives him a kind of Leslie Phillips' smarmy charm, and as the story progresses his 'friendliness' becomes more and more hostile as he tries to fit protagonist Peter Guillam for a frame as an unprofessional and irresponsible agent responsible for several deaths that SIS is being sued for. I think something similar could work for Bond, though with Bond I think it would have to be a sub-plot.