Which actor would make a good Bond villain?

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Will be difficult to watch Starr in future roles without seeing the terrifying Homelander character.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »
    Will be difficult to watch Starr in future roles without seeing the terrifying Homelander character.

Starr and Homelander are great for TV, but as a Bond villain I don't quite see it.
    A little bit too cartoonish, bit pantomime, Johnathan Pryce light.
    Jason Momoa was incredible in Fast X as an eccentric, flamboyant pyschopath. Turns out he's a Bond fan, no surprise there. I'm confident he's going to be casted.
    Benny wrote: »

Starr and Homelander are great for TV, but as a Bond villain I don't quite see it.

I like Starr and how he plays Homelander, but I fear casting him as a Bond villain wouldn't quite work. As we've seen with Waltz and Malek, an actor known for playing villains/creepy characters doesn't always translate to a great Bond villain, especially if they're essentially doing a version of the characters they're known for.

I think a great Bond villain will come of one of two things. Either a lesser known actor will take the role (more a Mads Mikelson in 2006 type) or a more well known actor will play a character that's against 'type' for them (so someone like Javiar Bardem playing the sinister but darkly trickster-like Silva which isn't the same as the cold robotic killer he played in No Country).
    007HallY wrote: »

I like Starr and how he plays Homelander, but I fear casting him as a Bond villain wouldn't quite work. As we've seen with Waltz and Malek, an actor known for playing villains/creepy characters doesn't always translate to a great Bond villain, especially if they're essentially doing a version of the characters they're known for.

I think a great Bond villain will come of one of two things. Either a lesser known actor will take the role (more a Mads Mikelson in 2006 type) or a more well known actor will play a character that's against 'type' for them (so someone like Javiar Bardem playing the sinister but darkly trickster-like Silva which isn't the same as the cold robotic killer he played in No Country).

I hope they go for lesser known veterans. My bet: they'll do this for at least the first film, so the new Bond is not outshined by a star.

I think I might agree with this, although I have no problem with Pryce's Carver. Starr might work better as a Logan Ash type or fellow agent.

I think I might agree with this, although I have no problem with Pryce's Carver. Starr might work better as a Logan Ash type or fellow agent.

Pryce is fun but let's face it, Carver is not the most threatening villains of the franchise. Personally I'd rather have my villains more menacing. Although I think it was due to the way he was written.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Pryce is fun but let's face it, Carver is not the most threatening villains of the franchise. Personally I'd rather have my villains more menacing. Although I think it was due to the way he was written.
    He himself was not threatening, no. I think it's necessary to have such villains appear every now and then, if for no other reason than for the sake of variety. Also, I imagine there are real life villains out there who don't come across as threatening/menacing but need to be stopped. Who was Carver based on? Same with him hamming it up - I can handle such a performance from time to time, but I do relish a more menacing character too, that's what I loved about Greene - he didn't have an intimidating physique but there was something psychopathic in the eyes.

He himself was not threatening, no. I think it's necessary to have such villains appear every now and then, if for no other reason than for the sake of variety. Also, I imagine there are real life villains out there who don't come across as threatening/menacing but need to be stopped. Who was Carver based on? Same with him hamming it up - I can handle such a performance from time to time, but I do relish a more menacing character too, that's what I loved about Greene - he didn't have an intimidating physique but there was something psychopathic in the eyes.

Oh but I was not speaking of a physical menace. John Hurt is not physically imposing as Caligula, yet he's very menacing.

Oh but I was not speaking of a physical menace. John Hurt is not physically imposing as Caligula, yet he's very menacing.
    There was something menacing about Dr No - the way he spoke with authority, and in some moments, TB's Largo, like when he disposes of Quist, then walks toward the camera kissing his SPECTRE ring. Largo actually looks at the camera briefly while kissing the ring, warning the audience not to mess with SPECTRE.
    A good actor becomes the villain rather than the villain becoming the actor. Our two latest examples, Blofeld and Safin, were both terribly unimpressive. Good actors, blah villains. Paul Walter Hauser has potential. I would enjoy seeing him play a more gregarious villain along the lines of Goldfinger or Largo. Big men who seem to enjoy themselves and their villainy as opposed to an emotionally dead villain such as Safin.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 14,838
    I don't know much about him, but the actor playing Brezhnev in The Death of Stalin has the look if nothing else. It would also be nice to have another brutish main villain (frequent in the novels, not so much in the movies) and he's got the right physique for it: https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0503319/
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    He is bad. He is bald. He is German.

scholzpng.png
    ;) :D :)>-
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Pedro Alonso, he's starring in Netflix Series, Berlin, a spin off of Money Heist.

53198224274_aff29c2732_b.jpg
    53198224269_d642f79908_b.jpg
    53198415756_0bc5a9c9f4_b.jpg
    AAAAQfHqnd7Joejb6bNPXanOUn3MXYtUrJHUIivOzvlch6VMmv52AcAKCjqhJcMrJEsqMWaS3hgDIg5jHouxZUNtBcYiA_yMaD1n-Zyyg_LIqYou_c6QEagnf3Vtvm54SX7BzkBz1cBGTw0gzlSYSmt1XH_K.jpg?r=6c1
    aaf82664-028c-11ec-a9e6-af764bf61cc2_1629641537055.jpg
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Pedro Alonso, he's starring in Netflix Series, Berlin, a spin off of Money Heist.

53198224274_aff29c2732_b.jpg
    53198224269_d642f79908_b.jpg
    53198415756_0bc5a9c9f4_b.jpg
    AAAAQfHqnd7Joejb6bNPXanOUn3MXYtUrJHUIivOzvlch6VMmv52AcAKCjqhJcMrJEsqMWaS3hgDIg5jHouxZUNtBcYiA_yMaD1n-Zyyg_LIqYou_c6QEagnf3Vtvm54SX7BzkBz1cBGTw0gzlSYSmt1XH_K.jpg?r=6c1
    aaf82664-028c-11ec-a9e6-af764bf61cc2_1629641537055.jpg

Right age, would be nice to keep with non Anglo-Saxon villains. Not sure about his face though.
    Good actor! Nice proposal.
    Not familiar with him, but he has a good classic villain look, different enough from previous Bond baddies.
    A great villain can be wildly over the top. Or convey something awful beneath a deceptive exterior. You can say the words, but if you can't convey something unpleasantly chilling that oozes out like sweat, you're not a good villain.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    A great villain can be wildly over the top. Or convey something awful beneath a deceptive exterior. You can say the words, but if you can't convey something unpleasantly chilling that oozes out like sweat, you're not a good villain.
    Absolutely right. It must get under your skin.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2023 Posts: 2,932
    That's one of the reasons Dominic Greene was actually a great villain - you not only hated the oily little weasel on sight, but you could tell that his physical cowardice masked a psycho who was just one insult or thwarted plan away from exploding.
    Don't know how good his English is, but Steve Tientcheu, who I discovered in Lupin season 3, would make a great Buonaparte Ignace Gallia type villain. He looks imposing and plain nasty.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Sharon Stone.

The idea of her as Bond villain would be sexy and cool, and she is badass in real life too; interesting Variety article with her today: https://variety.com/2023/film/news/leonardo-dipcario-thankful-sharon-stone-paid-acting-salary-1235794812/
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Sharon Stone.

The idea of her as Bond villain would be sexy and cool, and she is badass in real life too; interesting Variety article with her today: https://variety.com/2023/film/news/leonardo-dipcario-thankful-sharon-stone-paid-acting-salary-1235794812/

I'd rather have an Irma Bunt,,Rosa Klebb kind of villainess. Unsexy and sinister.
    I'm watching Lilyhammer at the moment. A couple of the Norwegian actors could make very good Bond villains.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    In the 1980's and early 1990's, I hoped Jürgen Prochnow to beoame a Bond villain, but at 82, he is too old.

aa06608ad3fb7fdac1fc614fcb7944e2.jpg

Then, why not Mikael Persbrandt?
    800px-Mikael_Persbrandt_p%C3%A5_premi%C3%A4r.JPG

And there are the so often again actors like Idris Elba, Daniel Kaluyya, David Ojelowo, Mark Strong...

And the other ususal German suspects.

Sebastian Koch

Sebastian_Koch_2011.jpg

Thomas Kretschmann
    Thomas_Kretschmann_in_March_2012.jpg

Christian Berkel
    Christian_Berkel_Berlinale_2009.jpg

Helen Mirren as a female villain per chance?
    Or regarding male villains Mads Mikkelsen's brother Lars? Or Michael Fassbender, who will be too old for the part of Bond, taken they look for an actor in his early thirties...
  • Marton Csokas.
  • Gary Oldman would be great
    Mikael Persbrandt was born to play a Bond villain.
    Gary Oldman would be great

To continue the Oscar-winner-Bond-Villain-line?
    Csokas at least looks like a perfect villain. Can't tag him to a film, but he looks the part.