Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Someone mentioned S3 as being “TNG S8”, which I really don’t get. S3 is still fundamentally the show PICARD was in the first two seasons, being a darker and more serialized show than TNG ever was. It’s not like we’re getting an extra season of standalone adventures with a set crew commanded by Picard. We don’t even actually have the whole crew until the last two episodes. That said, it still serves as a solid finale for TNG, which NEMESIS failed to be.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Someone mentioned S3 as being “TNG S8”, which I really don’t get. S3 is still fundamentally the show PICARD was in the first two seasons, being a darker and more serialized show than TNG ever was. It’s not like we’re getting an extra season of standalone adventures with a set crew commanded by Picard. We don’t even actually have the whole crew until the last two episodes. That said, it still serves as a solid finale for TNG, which NEMESIS failed to be.

I see Picard as a sequel to Nemesis always have, S3 of Picard feels like a extended feature film to me. TNG is its own thing entirely compared with Picard S3, both great in different ways.
    Both S1 and 3 do feel like follow ups to the films in that the first gives Data a more emotionally fulfilling exit than NEMESIS did, and then the third is the finale/reunion for the cast. Which makes S2 stand out even more as an outlier. You could probably skip that entire season and not miss anything crucial.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2 Posts: 23,367
    Both S1 and 3 do feel like follow ups to the films in that the first gives Data a more emotionally fulfilling exit than NEMESIS did, and then the third is the finale/reunion for the cast. Which makes S2 stand out even more as an outlier. You could probably skip that entire season and not miss anything crucial.

Having revisted a few Picard S1 episodes again recently i think for the most part it is ok when you put some huge decisions later in season to one side.

No idea what they were thinking with S2, I will buy season 2 as I bought the other 2 seasons though will wait until S2 is on offer or i find it cheap.

---

I watched the first act of Star Trek Generations restoration on 4K disk yesterday, it is a huge improvement on the bluray. The details on the Enterprise B and Nexus ribbon look fantastic, the whole Kirk sequence really pop's.

Edited: Watching Star Trek Generations from the start.I think fans of the film will be genuinely impressed by how good this restoration looks and sounds, it is a must purchase IMO. The in the Nexus scenes are amazing.

star-trek-generations-4kultrahd-review-highdef-digest-5.jpg

I am glad i opted for the ST single disks/sets as the individual slip covers make that decision worthwhile they are stunning.
    At some point I’ll rewatch all of PICARD down the line. PIC S2 was probably the weakest season out of all the Kurtzman era. It had a lot of promise with the ideas, but it felt too meandering and the stuff with Picard’s mother just bored me.
    edited February 2 Posts: 23,367
    Picard S3 explores PTSD extremely well,

At some point I’ll rewatch all of PICARD down the line. PIC S2 was probably the weakest season out of all the Kurtzman era. It had a lot of promise with the ideas, but it felt too meandering and the stuff with Picard’s mother just bored me.

Picard S2 firsr few episodes were promising then totally nose dived.
    Picard S3 is amazing so many deep cuts that I find overwhelming at times, so much of the writing resonates..
    edited February 3 Posts: 23,367
    Eddington!

With hair!
    Quantum tunneling is fun.
    The Titan did not move, it was always there.
    Paramount+ Starts Production on ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ Movie Starring Michelle Yeoh, Seven Added to Cast
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2024/tv/news/paramount-plus-star-trek-section-31-movie-michelle-yeoh-1235891617/amp/
    edited February 7 Posts: 23,367
    Just finished rewatching Picard S3 absolutely amazing, I will watch these Bluray's every year. Easily one of my all time favorite seasons of any TV show, brilliant writing (Great appreciation of canon).
    edited February 8 Posts: 8,025
    Last season of DISCO will hit April 4th. I’ve already done my full rewatch, so I’m more than prepped.

Congrats to both PICARD and STRANGE NEW WORLDS for snagging Saturn Awards.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited February 8 Posts: 4,312
    Section 31 is a stand-alone movie with mainly new characters. Craig Sweeny wrote the script and as far as I can see, he takes credit for writing parts of ST:D S1 E3, which was decent, so this might be good.
    edited February 8 Posts: 23,367
    Just purchased the Picard S3 album, it has a very impressive 45 tracks, so many great themes and nods to the likes of Horner and Goldsmith.

Legacies

Amazing scene at the Space dock museum.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That soundtrack is pretty solid.
    Murdock wrote: »
    That soundtrack is pretty solid.

Its very cinematic for a TV show.
    edited February 18 Posts: 23,367
    Watching Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home remaster on 4K Disk for the first time, god this film is good.

I feel blessed that in my youth I was able to experience these 6 incredible Star Trek films on release..

William Shatner is brilliant, Kirk is the greatest.
    edited February 23 Posts: 23,367
    Star Trek: Discovery - Official Season 5 Trailer (2024) Sonequa Martin-Green

I will sub to Paramount+ I watched the first 4 seasons so may as well see the final season.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just finished rewatching Picard S3 absolutely amazing, I will watch these Bluray's every year. Easily one of my all time favorite seasons of any TV show, brilliant writing (Great appreciation of canon).

I actually liked the first two seasons, but the third was just the best Trek of this century.
    I’d give S3 of ENTERPRISE the edge, as far as serialized Trek goes.
    I’d give S3 of ENTERPRISE the edge, as far as serialized Trek goes.

That was very good, but it didn't come to as satisfying a conclusion as Picard...
    That’s the thing, I overall liked S3 of Picard, but I didnt think the actual last episode was that great and there was a lot of choices I’m not a fan of. The strongest section of the season was the combat with Riker in command of the Titan. After the Changeling character is taken out that’s when the season is less compelling.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I actually liked the first two seasons, but the third was just the best Trek of this century.

Picard S1 is pretty good to be fair it's only the last episode and what happened to Picard that I wish did not happen. Been rewatching Picard S1 on bluray, I have yet to buy S2 though I will to complete the set. S2 started OK though went downhill for me after that.

Enterprise bluray Boxset will be next for me, it was a good show ultimately I preferred it to Voyager.
    Picard S1 is pretty good to be fair it's only the last episode and what happened to Picard that I wish did not happen.
    Agreed.
    edited March 2 Posts: 23,367
    Star Trek Nemesis looks great on 4K and I have to say Picard series has elevated this film.

First Contact on 4K is easily the best Next Gen movie, Patrick Stewart is brilliant in this film and shows his Shakespearean talent to the max. I often felt in the other Next Gen films Picard slipped in and out of character, especially in Nemesis.
    My Next Gen movie ranking at the moment is...

First Contact
    Generations
    Nemesis
    Insurrection

Nemesis would be second if Kirk was not in Generations.
    My Enterprise Bluray box set has arrived and loving the menu's, watching Broken Bow looks great. Enterprise is a gem of a series. I only ever watched it all the way through on TV and VHS recordings back in the day.