Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A.W.O.L. (1990)
    1077-2.jpg
    First time seeing this one, though I recall The Action Elite doing a favourable retrospective on this and another Van Damme film, 2 or 3 years ago. A surprisingly emotional storyline for a 90's action movie.

I had all Van Damme early films back in my youth, I stopped watching and buying them after Sudden Death Van Damme's Die Hard, probably his highest budget film also.

A.W.O.L. was amongst his best run of films, Deborah Rennard played a good villain. if I am remembering correctly the film was also known as Lionheart, A.W.O.L in the UK.

Sudden Death is one of my favourites, regardless of it's Die Hard-esque premise. I have also enjoyed a lot of his films made since. Most, not all. Double Team, Derailed Knock Off and In Hell are amongst the ones that I didn't like.

Double Team with Rodman? I have only watched that maybe once can't remember much about the plot. I did watch the first season of JCVD on Prime video, it was amusing.

Yes, the the one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    MacGruber

Almost 15 years after its release and I still love this stupidly hilarious movie so much. Will Forte is gold in this.

A lot of fun I have it on bluray, that reminds me I still have not watched the TV show that was released recently (last years or so).

The series wasn't as great as the film but if you're a fan, it's worth the watch. It's very short, easy to burn through, and I'll always take more MacGruber where I can get him. It's a shame it likely won't get another season but then again I never expected a TV series follow-up to begin with, so never say never.

@007ClassicBondFan, great choice there! The American Friend is another favorite of mine, I love the dynamic between Ganz and Hopper throughout. They're both brilliant in it but Ganz really does offer a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings in two hours.

Just looked on Prime the 8 episodes are £9.99 in HD, I looked for the bluray on Amazon though it appears to be only on DVD for £20. I will give it go, I do enjoy the utterly stupid antics of MacGruber.

I'm not sure if you can get it in your country but Peacock has the entire series on their platform if you're a subscriber too.

I was wondering if it was any of the streaming services. We don't get Peacock in the UK though will have a look online to see if any other service picked it up.

Keep me posted on your thoughts if you do ever get around to it please!

@Creasy47 I bought the series and watched the first episode, it was a bit jarring something feels off. I don't know if it's down to age of actors but the performances lacked the madcap energy, maybe it's the way they were directed.

Yeah it's a bit of a drop-off in quality at times, does have a cheap feeling to it (I guess because it's a similar budget but it's stretched across several episodes), but it still got some laughs out of me and I was just happy to see more MacGruber.

And separately, I love Assassins so much, one of my favorite '90s action-thrillers.

Watching episode 1 again, the Macguber recap song is funny. Was tired last night so was not in the best frame of mind to watch it.

The Bondian title sequence 😂

I will take back my previous assessment, Forte is as crazy as ever 😂

On episode 2 I do not know how Kristen Wiig keeps a straight face delivering her lines.

Oh yeah you said it, he definitely had little problem getting back into the role. I love him as MacGruber.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Halloween (2018)

Not bad, and at least better than those Zombie versions, though I prefer the original sequels, even though they get pretty bonkers near the end of that cycle.

Yet, I feel the Halloween atmosphere is at its best in the films from 1978-1995. These newer ones tend to take place in a more trashy environment, which I'm not a fan of.

Still though, this one isn't bad. Will have to check out Kills and Ends at some point.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    For those in the U.S., Turner Classic Movies (TCM) has been running several shorts (between films) featuring Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg, etc. talking about their love of film.

This particular short, looks back at the days of “The Double Feature.”

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 5 Posts: 13,894
    81yrTiGW5KL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Low budget, simple concept, but quite nail biting at times.
    @MajorDSmythe, the twist really ruined this one for me, but as someone who despises tall heights, it was definitely anxiety-inducing for most of its runtime. You couldn't pay me enough money to climb up that thing.
    @MajorDSmythe, the twist really ruined this one for me, but as someone who despises tall heights, it was definitely anxiety-inducing for most of its runtime. You couldn't pay me enough money to climb up that thing.

I wasn't as bothered by that, as I was by the fact that we don't see.... the survivor actually get off the tower. Felt like they cut a corner there. And the actions of the YouTuber on the way up. All just to get likes. #-o

I wasn't as bothered by that, as I was by the fact that we don't see.... the survivor actually get off the tower. Felt like they cut a corner there. And the actions of the YouTuber on the way up. All just to get likes. #-o

Yeah they did seem a bit rushed in that ending and we didn't get too much of a payoff during the finale.

The "getting likes in the face of danger" was probably the most realistic aspect of the whole film. I don't know how many streamers I've seen die after hanging off the side of huge skyscrapers and not being able to maintain their strength and grip, or how many people have fallen to their death at the Grand Canyon trying to get a selfie. It's madness.

Yeah they did seem a bit rushed in that ending and we didn't get too much of a payoff during the finale.

The "getting likes in the face of danger" was probably the most realistic aspect of the whole film. I don't know how many streamers I've seen die after hanging off the side of huge skyscrapers and not being able to maintain their strength and grip, or how many people have fallen to their death at the Grand Canyon trying to get a selfie. It's madness.

I bought into that part of the film completely too. People do dumb shit all the time for likes. Darwin Award winners, the lot of them.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Dwayne wrote: »
    For those in the U.S., Turner Classic Movies (TCM) has been running several shorts (between films) featuring Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg, etc. talking about their love of film.

This particular short, looks back at the days of “The Double Feature.”

Thanks, I somehow missed that one ....

Larger cities in both Canada and the US often had independent or regionally owned theatre chains that weren't in a position to secure big, new A listed movies. So instead they ran second run and genre B movie double (sometimes triple or more) features. I grew up on these in the 1970s ... often with my friends on a Saturday afternoon.
    What would you get if you crossed Roger Corman, with Vincent Price and William Shakespeare?

Tower Of London (1962)
    nr020505-140_1.jpg?ti1704680599
    Price plays the scheming Duke of Gloucester, who leaves a trail of bodies on the path to become King Richard III. Not what I was expecting, it's more a Shakespearean drama, than a horror film, as the DVD/BR cover would have you believe. But Price is never less than watchable, especially when he gets to make the most of Shakespearean dialogue, something he would come back to with Theatre Of Blood.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 10 Posts: 23,361
    2010_clash_of_the_titans_wallpaper_001.jpg
    Time has been kind to this film, compared to many movies in recent years this is pretty good escapism, It has a ridiculously good cast, Ralph Fiennes being the standout, there are several Brosnan/Craig era Bond actors in this and its sequel.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Time has been kind to this film, compared to many movies in recent years this is pretty good escapism, It has a ridiculously good cast, Ralph Fiennes being the standout, there are several Brosnan/Craig era Bond actors in this and its sequel.

I quite like it! I also love the 1981 original. Think this was a fairly decent remake, with a good cast, some fine action and a nice atmosphere. Wasn't too keen on the sequel though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I quite like it! I also love the 1981 original. Think this was a fairly decent remake, with a good cast, some fine action and a nice atmosphere. Wasn't too keen on the sequel though.

You can't beat Ray Harryhausen creatures of the original, though I liked the giant scorpions in the remake,. The lovely Jemma Arterton has a lot of screen time also which is always good. I will rewatch the Wrath of the Titans tomorrow, I have all the above films one of my favourite genres.
    I watched the original 'Clash of the Titans' at Christmas. It drags a bit, and Harry Hamlin has the personality of a Greek column, but Harryhausens effects are still a marvel to watch, especially in the best set piece, the Medusa sequence!
    The Abyss (1989), for the first time ever. For a long time I had casual interest in seeing this movie, as I like many of the older works of James Cameron and the plot and cast looked great. I don't know what to say except any expectations I had were utterly surpassed! It was one of the most emotionally draining movies I've ever seen. It had the story and characters to match the fantastic action and effects. I am so hyped this is coming to physical 4K next month, as it became an immediate must-buy. I really really fell in love with this movie. Might even be my favorite Cameron film now - I really need to marathon his movies!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I watched the original 'Clash of the Titans' at Christmas. It drags a bit, and Harry Hamlin has the personality of a Greek column, but Harryhausens effects are still a marvel to watch, especially in the best set piece, the Medusa sequence!

Its all about the creatures and the score to the original is good, the sound design during the Medusa scene is something else.

FoxRox wrote: »
    The Abyss (1989), for the first time ever. For a long time I had casual interest in seeing this movie, as I like many of the older works of James Cameron and the plot and cast looked great. I don't know what to say except any expectations I had were utterly surpassed! It was one of the most emotionally draining movies I've ever seen. It had the story and characters to match the fantastic action and effects. I am so hyped this is coming to physical 4K next month, as it became an immediate must-buy. I really really fell in love with this movie. Might even be my favorite Cameron film now - I really need to marathon his movies!

I watched The Abyss at the cinema when it was originally released, technically a ground breaking film. There are a couple of versions of The Abyss , not watched my bluray for several years though will definitely buy it when available on 4K.
    I also saw 'The Abyss' at the cinema and agree that technically it is superb, but I couldn't engage with any of the characters and felt the emotional stuff was forced, and we have discussed how hard it is to make underwater action exciting, and I think Cameron fails too! And dont get me started on the cute fluorescent 👽!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I also saw 'The Abyss' at the cinema and agree that technically it is superb, but I couldn't engage with any of the characters and felt the emotional stuff was forced, and we have discussed how hard it is to make underwater action exciting, and I think Cameron fails too! And dont get me started on the cute fluorescent 👽!

It has been years though I recall preferring the special edition/directors cut (I cant remember what it was called) being better than the theatrical cut.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The Special Edition/ Director’s cut is significantly better than the theatrical release ; it truly fleshes out the story and is not just padding.

My one wish for the 4K release is that the live action water used when shooting miniatures is replaced with Avatar quality CG water element. Two things give away miniature shots more than anything else, fire and water ; neither can be miniaturized and are a dead giveaway . Many shots in Goldeneye suffer from this.
    talos7 wrote: »
    The Special Edition/ Director’s cut is significantly better than the theatrical release ; it truly fleshes out the story and is not just padding.

My one wish for the 4K release is that the live action water used when shooting miniatures is replaced with Avatar quality CG water element. Two things give away miniature shots more than anything else, fire and water ; neither can be miniaturized and are a dead giveaway . Many shots in Goldeneye suffer from this.

Many of the Bond films and even Superman The Movie illustrate your point regarding miniature shots. I often turn a blind eye as I acknowledge the technology of the time and also if the intention of the scene works the effects don't matter so much.

The Abyss is the start of another technological revolution in film so adjustments would work, not sure if Jim would bother to do that.
    I had one of the finest "double bills" (on separate days) this past weekend with Wim Wenders' new film, Perfect Days, and a rewatch of a bonafide cult classic, The Big Lebowski. They're both perfect for their own reasons but it's rare I accidentally get to watch films in a row like that that are both so incredible and worthy of praise.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I've heard great things about PERFECT DAYS @Creasy47 and the trailer is very affecting. IIRC, it was Japan's entry in this year's Best Foreign film Oscar category. A definite "must watch" for next weekend.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »

Many of the Bond films and even Superman The Movie illustrate your point regarding miniature shots. I often turn a blind eye as I acknowledge the technology of the time and also if the intention of the scene works the effects don't matter so much.

The Abyss is the start of another technological revolution in film so adjustments would work, not sure if Jim would bother to do that.

While not on a Lucas level he did tweak some shots for the release of T2, so you never know.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Watched ASTEROID CITY. Can't say I'm a fan. Wes Anderson made an amazing film with THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, but his latest flick, while exceptionally good-looking, is more artistic pretention than anything else. Some bits are funny, and the acting is superb, but whatever Anderson is trying to convey isn't registering with me -- consequently, the film makes me feel dumb and I like to think I'm not. I get that he's trying to play with film grammar and I applaud him for it. But sometimes, enough is enough and, worse, too much is just too much. ASTEROID CITY is a glass of water with some food coloring in it and a fancy name, served on a lovely plate by a talented waiter. But it remains, all said and done, a glass of water. I think I will plug in something else now, just to remind me that good movies can be comprehensible too sometimes. 😏
    I've heard great things about PERFECT DAYS @Creasy47 and the trailer is very affecting. IIRC, it was Japan's entry in this year's Best Foreign film Oscar category. A definite "must watch" for next weekend.

That it was! I know it won an award recently or was nominated for one that made it the first time a Japanese film was selected that wasn't directed by someone who was also Japanese. Very interesting.

@DarthDimi, that's a shame to hear, I absolutely loved it and thought it was an incredible return to form after the awful mess that was The French Dispatch. That's still the only Anderson film I outright did not like. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan.

That it was! I know it won an award recently or was nominated for one that made it the first time a Japanese film was selected that wasn't directed by someone who was also Japanese. Very interesting.

@DarthDimi, that's a shame to hear, I absolutely loved it and thought it was an incredible return to form after the awful mess that was The French Dispatch. That's still the only Anderson film I outright did not like. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan.

I can understand that. And I agree about The French Dispatch. Perhaps that film put Anderson in a bad place for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I can understand that. And I agree about The French Dispatch. Perhaps that film put Anderson in a bad place for me.

Wow, this is strange. I felt Asteroid City was a pleasant if meaningless diversion. French Dispatch however I liked enough to buy it on blu ray.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Wow, this is strange. I felt Asteroid City was a pleasant if meaningless diversion. French Dispatch however I liked enough to buy it on blu ray.

I have to be honest. TGBH is the only WA film I have seen so far that I think is more than just a few neat tricks. Style over substance and all that. I am probably not the right person for his output.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

I have to be honest. TGBH is the only WA film I have seen so far that I think is more than just a few neat tricks. Style over substance and all that. I am probably not the right person for his output.

Style over substance can be good unless there's no substance at all. Asteroid City made its point in the first 15 minutes, it would have worked better as a short. French Dispatch was fascinating IMHO.