Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I had quite the journey yesterday afternoon in finally getting to go see Poor Things and had one of the best times in theaters in a long, long while. What an experience.

Its great, isn't it? I concur, I really enjoyed it!

It should land in my Top 3 of the year, I'd imagine. It really is something special from start to finish.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    20230831_143118_0-glazed-intensity10.0-render2-V1.jpg

A fine film. There's a slow-build to it but I found the pay off really worth it. There's a certain car crash sequence that took my breath away. A return to form for Mann after a few odd efforts in the last decade.

I'm ready to watch the film. Thanks for giving me hope, @CraigMooreOHMSS!

Dim the lights and get absorbed in the sunny Italian atmosphere, @DarthDimi!
    Finally got around to watching Thanksgiving (2023). As someone who did not care for the Hostel movies at all (seemingly Eli Roth's big claim to fame), I was still very interested in this project, as I'd always wanted a Thanksgiving-themed horror movie. I have to say, this one didn't disappoint! Some of the characters and lines are a bit rough, but I'm also pretty sure that's often kind of the point with so much satire and humor going on. The kills were top-notch, and the killer reveal / motive was fully satisfying to me. A very entertaining time!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching Thanksgiving (2023). As someone who did not care for the Hostel movies at all (seemingly Eli Roth's big claim to fame), I was still very interested in this project, as I'd always wanted a Thanksgiving-themed horror movie. I have to say, this one didn't disappoint! Some of the characters and lines are a bit rough, but I'm also pretty sure that's often kind of the point with so much satire and humor going on. The kills were top-notch, and the killer reveal / motive was fully satisfying to me. A very entertaining time!

I am a fan of the slasher genre so looking forward to this one, i will rent it when its no longer Home Premiere price.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had quite the journey yesterday afternoon in finally getting to go see Poor Things and had one of the best times in theaters in a long, long while. What an experience.

It should land in my Top 3 of the year, I'd imagine. It really is something special from start to finish.

It's very high on my to do list.
    I find this thread is often a good place to find a good movie to watch, based on recommendations.
    Benny wrote: »

It's very high on my to do list.
    I find this thread is often a good place to find a good movie to watch, based on recommendations.

It really is. Even certain films I've been meaning to see for years, sometimes I see them mentioned here and that's the final kick in the rear I need to give them a shot.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

It took me a second to catch on to the tone they were going for, but I really enjoyed it
    MacGruber

Almost 15 years after its release and I still love this stupidly hilarious movie so much. Will Forte is gold in this.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MacGruber

Almost 15 years after its release and I still love this stupidly hilarious movie so much. Will Forte is gold in this.

A lot of fun I have it on bluray, that reminds me I still have not watched the TV show that was released recently (last years or so).
  • The American Friend (1977);

This was my 2nd foray into European Cinema, and incidentally yet another Patricia Highsmith-Tom Ripley adaptation after the excellent Purple Noon from 1960. Dennis Hopper stars as Ripley in this film, and while he’s certainly a far cry from the cool/calculated Ripley by Alain Delon, Hopper brings his own manic energy to the character that made for every scene he was on screen a delight. I also really enjoyed Bruno Ganz in this film too. The two have such a great chemistry in the film, I was a bit upset at the films ending as a result. But nevertheless, this one was a great one overall! I even prefer it to Purple Noon!
    MacGruber

A lot of fun I have it on bluray, that reminds me I still have not watched the TV show that was released recently (last years or so).

The series wasn't as great as the film but if you're a fan, it's worth the watch. It's very short, easy to burn through, and I'll always take more MacGruber where I can get him. It's a shame it likely won't get another season but then again I never expected a TV series follow-up to begin with, so never say never.

@007ClassicBondFan, great choice there! The American Friend is another favorite of mine, I love the dynamic between Ganz and Hopper throughout. They're both brilliant in it but Ganz really does offer a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings in two hours.
    MacGruber

The series wasn't as great as the film but if you're a fan, it's worth the watch. It's very short, easy to burn through, and I'll always take more MacGruber where I can get him. It's a shame it likely won't get another season but then again I never expected a TV series follow-up to begin with, so never say never.

@007ClassicBondFan, great choice there! The American Friend is another favorite of mine, I love the dynamic between Ganz and Hopper throughout. They're both brilliant in it but Ganz really does offer a rollercoaster of emotions and feelings in two hours.

Just looked on Prime the 8 episodes are £9.99 in HD, I looked for the bluray on Amazon though it appears to be only on DVD for £20. I will give it go, I do enjoy the utterly stupid antics of MacGruber.
    MacGruber

Just looked on Prime the 8 episodes are £9.99 in HD, I looked for the bluray on Amazon though it appears to be only on DVD for £20. I will give it go, I do enjoy the utterly stupid antics of MacGruber.

I'm not sure if you can get it in your country but Peacock has the entire series on their platform if you're a subscriber too.
    MacGruber

I'm not sure if you can get it in your country but Peacock has the entire series on their platform if you're a subscriber too.

I was wondering if it was any of the streaming services. We don't get Peacock in the UK though will have a look online to see if any other service picked it up.
    MacGruber

I was wondering if it was any of the streaming services. We don't get Peacock in the UK though will have a look online to see if any other service picked it up.

Keep me posted on your thoughts if you do ever get around to it please!
    MacGruber

I will likely buy it on Friday on digital when off work, noticed run time on episodes are short so will blast through it at weekend.
  • edited February 1 Posts: 12,281
    Femme Fatale (2002) and Mona Lisa (1986). Very good ones!

Femme Fatale assuming its De Palma, that opening set piece is a masterclass in film making. I am a big fan of this film, it's one of my favorites of his.

Femme Fatale assuming its De Palma, that opening set piece is a masterclass in film making. I am a big fan of this film, it's one of my favorites of his.

Yes, the De Palma film. The opening is great for sure, though I love all of it! Antonio Banderas is a favorite of mine, and he really gave it his all in this one.
    edited February 3 Posts: 23,465
    MacGruber

@Creasy47 I bought the series and watched the first episode, it was a bit jarring something feels off. I don't know if it's down to age of actors but the performances lacked the madcap energy, maybe it's the way they were directed.

Yes, the De Palma film. The opening is great for sure, though I love all of it! Antonio Banderas is a favorite of mine, and he really gave it his all in this one.

I have always been a bit hit and miss with Banderas, though he is great in Femme Fatale. Also good in Assassin's and Desperado.
    MacGruber

@Creasy47 I bought the series and watched the first episode, it was a bit jarring something feels off. I don't know if it's down to age of actors but the performances lacked the madcap energy, maybe it's the way they were directed.

Yeah it's a bit of a drop-off in quality at times, does have a cheap feeling to it (I guess because it's a similar budget but it's stretched across several episodes), but it still got some laughs out of me and I was just happy to see more MacGruber.

And separately, I love Assassins so much, one of my favorite '90s action-thrillers.
    MacGruber

Yeah it's a bit of a drop-off in quality at times, does have a cheap feeling to it (I guess because it's a similar budget but it's stretched across several episodes), but it still got some laughs out of me and I was just happy to see more MacGruber.

And separately, I love Assassins so much, one of my favorite '90s action-thrillers.

Watching episode 1 again, the Macguber recap song is funny. Was tired last night so was not in the best frame of mind to watch it.

The Bondian title sequence 😂

I will take back my previous assessment, Forte is as crazy as ever 😂

On episode 2 I do not know how Kristen Wiig keeps a straight face delivering her lines.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A.W.O.L. (1990)
    1077-2.jpg
    First time seeing this one, though I recall The Action Elite doing a favourable retrospective on this and another Van Damme film, 2 or 3 years ago. A surprisingly emotional storyline for a 90's action movie.
    edited February 4 Posts: 23,465
    A.W.O.L. (1990)
    1077-2.jpg
    First time seeing this one, though I recall The Action Elite doing a favourable retrospective on this and another Van Damme film, 2 or 3 years ago. A surprisingly emotional storyline for a 90's action movie.

I had all Van Damme early films back in my youth, I stopped watching and buying them after Sudden Death Van Damme's Die Hard, probably his highest budget film also.

A.W.O.L. was amongst his best run of films, Deborah Rennard played a good villain. if I am remembering correctly the film was also known as Lionheart, A.W.O.L in the UK.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Maximum Risk is a very underrated Van Damme film that I recently watched.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Peak Van Damme is him beating up the Penguins mascot in Sudden Death
    edited February 4 Posts: 23,465
    This is peak Van Damme...

;))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A.W.O.L. (1990)
    1077-2.jpg

I had all Van Damme early films back in my youth, I stopped watching and buying them after Sudden Death Van Damme's Die Hard, probably his highest budget film also.

A.W.O.L. was amongst his best run of films, Deborah Rennard played a good villain. if I am remembering correctly the film was also known as Lionheart, A.W.O.L in the UK.

Sudden Death is one of my favourites, regardless of it's Die Hard-esque premise. I have also enjoyed a lot of his films made since. Most, not all. Double Team, Derailed Knock Off and In Hell are amongst the ones that I didn't like.
    A.W.O.L. (1990)
    1077-2.jpg

Sudden Death is one of my favourites, regardless of it's Die Hard-esque premise. I have also enjoyed a lot of his films made since. Most, not all. Double Team, Derailed Knock Off and In Hell are amongst the ones that I didn't like.

Double Team with Rodman? I have only watched that maybe once can't remember much about the plot. I did watch the first season of JCVD on Prime video, it was amusing.