Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I haven’t seen Killers of the Flower Moon or Oppenheimer yet, but I want to see both. I expect to enjoy the former more, though, simply because Scorsese is way better than Nolan for me. Regarding the Academy, it’s like I always say: Kubrick never winning one Best Director or not having a Best Picture is all the proof I need to not take it too seriously.

Very good point about Kubrick, @FoxRox … Flowers was just so bloody mesmerizing, so deeply layered from the artistic and technical achievements and talents that worked on it. Breathtaking and haunting….

Oppenheimer to me was very flawed, at times baffling, with no reason, at all, to do the story in a non linear fashion. However, and this is not a popular opinion: the last act is when I became really engaged; there was a drive to this third act, obstacles, and a fantastic antagonist fully realized in Downey Jr’s, Lewis Strauss…

I look forward to your feedback when you see these two films (and have you seen Keitel’s The Bad Lieutenant yet??)
    peter wrote: »
    I haven’t seen Killers of the Flower Moon or Oppenheimer yet, but I want to see both. I expect to enjoy the former more, though, simply because Scorsese is way better than Nolan for me. Regarding the Academy, it’s like I always say: Kubrick never winning one Best Director or not having a Best Picture is all the proof I need to not take it too seriously.

Very good point about Kubrick, @FoxRox … Flowers was just so bloody mesmerizing, so deeply layered from the artistic and technical achievements and talents that worked on it. Breathtaking and haunting….

Oppenheimer to me was very flawed, at times baffling, with no reason, at all, to do the story in a non linear fashion. However, and this is not a popular opinion: the last act is when I became really engaged; there was a drive to this third act, obstacles, and a fantastic antagonist fully realized in Downey Jr’s, Lewis Strauss…

I look forward to your feedback when you see these two films (and have you seen Keitel’s The Bad Lieutenant yet??)

Kubrick is probably still my #1 director, so I'm a bit biased, but I really believe he was / is the gold standard, and it's criminal he was never recognized as such by the Academy, but at the end of the day awards are just awards. I'm not a fan of every single Scorsese film, but anytime there are 10+ films from a single director that I want to own, that means they are in an elite category, which he is to me. As much as I personally love his Batman movies, Nolan doesn't make a ton of films I particularly care to revisit, unfortunately. The Prestige is actually my favorite besides Batman. But I am still definitely interested in checking out Oppenheimer!

Unfortunately no, but I didn't forget about it at all! I've been working tirelessly through Brian De Palma's filmography, and still have so many to go. While not on the level of Scorsese or Kubrick, De Palma makes highly watchable, highly enjoyable films for my tastes. However, the last few I've checked out haven't been quite as up to par for me (The Fury, The Black Dahlia, Snake Eyes). But I'd consider Scarface, The Untouchables, Blow Out, and Carrie all among my favorite movies, with tons of admirable runner-uppers like Carlito's Way, Sisters, Dressed to Kill, Obsession...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 21 Posts: 40,492
    Speaking of Kubrick, I'm only a few decades late to the party but I finally had the time to watch Spartacus today and thought it was yet another masterpiece by one of history's most precise and calculating directors. Amazing, amazing stuff.

I see Bad Lieutenant mentioned here, I recently revisited that one and loved it even more than I did the first time. I've become a really, really big fan of Abel Ferrara's work over the past year or so.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Speaking of Kubrick, I'm only a few decades late to the party but I finally had the time to watch Spartacus today and thought it was yet another masterpiece by one of history's most precise and calculating directors. Amazing, amazing stuff.

I see Bad Lieutenant mentioned here, I recently revisited that one and loved it even more than I did the first time. I've become a really, really big fan of Abel Ferrara's work over the past year or so.

Nice! I have a friend who loves Kubrick and his favorite film of his is Spartacus, even though it's arguably the least "Kubrickian" of all his movies. It's still a wonderful picture, even though I personally prefer a lot of his other movies myself. It's also not quite my #1, but Barry Lyndon might be the single most aesthetically pleasing film ever, among holding other terrific qualities.

Nice! I have a friend who loves Kubrick and his favorite film of his is Spartacus, even though it's arguably the least "Kubrickian" of all his movies. It's still a wonderful picture, even though I personally prefer a lot of his other movies myself. It's also not quite my #1, but Barry Lyndon might be the single most aesthetically pleasing film ever, among holding other terrific qualities.

Yeah I can see his handiwork and attention to detail but it is funny how the film retains the same style and atmosphere throughout despite Mann directing the opening that wasn't reshot when Kubrick stepped in a week later. It's gold.

There are still a couple of his all-time, cream of the crop classics I've yet to see but I hope to get there eventually. Every time I start on one particular director, decade, or genre, I wind up pivoting to dozens of others.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SPARTACUS is a brilliant film. The cast alone makes every scene worth our time. I'm particularly fond of what ass-kissing Peter Ustinov, eloquent Charles Laughton, and imposing Laurence Olivier bring to the game. Jean Simmons' warmth and looks are very charming. The score is an absolute delight. And though this may have been "just a job" for Kubrick, he has more than put his stamp on the film if you ask me. It's a much edgier movie than, say, BEN-HUR or CLEOPATRA.
    BLOOD SIMPLE (1984)
    The Coen Brothers debut, a dark film noir, this is still an enjoyably engaging thriller. Frances McDormand is the unfaithful wife, whose husband , played by Dan Hedaya, hires a sleazy private eye ( the superb M. Emmet Walsh) to prove her infidelity and, if so, to kill both her and her lover (John Getz). Things of course, dont work out! Walsh is particularly memorable, he reminds me of Orson Welles nasty cop from 'Touch of Evil', and he delivers the films final line which is a cracker!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Saltburn (2023)

I went into this with high expectations, having seen glittering reviews and general buzz.
    Then I saw the film. What a load of pretentious overly artsy shite!
    There was nothing clever about this film. There are a few shocking scenes, that are disturbing in nature, these seem only included only for the shock value.
    The acting is fine, but the story is nothing new, and the ending implausible.
    A massive disappointment.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada

Not just Kubrick ... but a who's who among the very greatest, most influential filmmakers, just to name a few: Hitchcock, Welles, Bergman, Altman, Fellini, Lumet, Hawks, Penn, Leone, Kurosawa ...
    Feyador wrote: »

Not just Kubrick ... but a who's who among the very greatest, most influential filmmakers, just to name a few: Hitchcock, Welles, Bergman, Altman, Fellini, Lumet, Hawks, Penn, Leone, Kurosawa ...

I agree, especially about Kubrick. I have often wondered why he was so insidiously neglected. Part of the problem is, I think, that he was often nominated against other impressive names, like David Lean, Milos Forman, and William Friedkin. Still, not even a nomination for The Shining? (Oh wait, horror. Those academy farts think horror is beneath them, don't they?) Kubrick was actually nominated 'worst director' at the Golden Raspberry Awards for The Shining. (What am I missing here?) A 'best screenplay adaptation' nomination (no win) for Full Metal Jacket...
    Invasion USA 4/6

Okay but not as good as Delta Force imo
    Society Of The Snow (2023)

In 1972, the Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, chartered to fly a rugby team to Chile, catastrophically crashes on a glacier in the heart of the Andes.
    A well known story of survival in one of the most harsh environments in the world.
    Brilliantly shot and told, one of the best films I've seen in recent times.
    Benny wrote: »
    Society Of The Snow (2023)

In 1972, the Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, chartered to fly a rugby team to Chile, catastrophically crashes on a glacier in the heart of the Andes.
    A well known story of survival in one of the most harsh environments in the world.
    Brilliantly shot and told, one of the best films I've seen in recent times.

You and I both! I thought this was one of the finest survival thrillers I've ever seen, with plenty of emotion and drama packed in at the same time. Really great stuff.
    A little more Eastwood:
    Pale Rider
    Gran Torino
    Trouble with the Curve
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    mattjoes wrote: »
    A little more Eastwood:
    Pale Rider
    Gran Torino
    Trouble with the Curve

I saw Pale Rider in the last year and really, really enjoyed it. Doesn't hit the heights of some of his best Westerns but it's definitely up there.
    they-already-filmed-that-plane-disaster.....its-called-Alive-from-1993-or-so
    Tracy wrote: »

I've not seen it but sounds to me like an overly Hollywood portrayal of the event, with some white Americans playing Uruguayans for some bizarre reason. I can't imagine it does anything more effectively than Society of the Snow did.
    Tracy wrote: »

I've seen Alive and I've seen Society Of The Snow, whilst Alive is a good movie and obviously covers the same story, Society Of The Snow is clearly the better movie. Whilst the subject matter is sad and disturbing, it's so beautifully shot and acted.
    All in Spanish with English subtitles, but a film I could find no real faults with. I think the story and acting come across better because of the unknown actors. It really heightens the movie all round. At least for me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    lf?set=path%5B1%2F3%2F0%2F2%2F1302888%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
    Very funny homage to classic Noir and Bogart films. You won't find many comedy cast lists as good as this one.
  • edited January 27 Posts: 6,747
    A little more Eastwood:
    Pale Rider
    Gran Torino
    Trouble with the Curve

I saw Pale Rider in the last year and really, really enjoyed it. Doesn't hit the heights of some of his best Westerns but it's definitely up there.

One of the interesting things of the film is how the preacher awakens different emotions among the miners, more specifically, the family he stays with. Affection, love, admiration, jealousy... sometimes within the same person.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A little more Eastwood:
    Pale Rider
    Gran Torino
    Trouble with the Curve

One of the interesting things of the film is how the preacher awakens different emotions among the miners, more specifically, the family he stays with. Affection, love, admiration, jealousy... sometimes within the same person.

So, as with High Plains Drifter, is Preacher a ghost or did he survive his gunshot wounds and is seeking revenge?
    talos7 wrote: »
    A little more Eastwood:
    Pale Rider
    Gran Torino
    Trouble with the Curve

So, as with High Plains Drifter, is Preacher a ghost or did he survive his gunshot wounds and is seeking revenge?

Of course, it's best that they don't explain. Maybe he turned to religion after the miracle of surviving those wounds. Maybe he worked with Stockburn at some point.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    A little more Eastwood:
    Pale Rider
    Gran Torino
    Trouble with the Curve

Of course, it's best that they don't explain. Maybe he turned to religion after the miracle of surviving those wounds. Maybe he worked with Stockburn at some point.

Good point; I have never considered that.
    LIFEFORCE (1985)
    THE INTERNATIONAL CUT (116 min)

cSDzLQEkd3dz5rmNJbFuFj002rz.jpg

Tobe Hooper's cult classic was poorly received when it hit theatres nearly 40 years ago but has since climbed up on many lists. It certainly is one of the very few CANNON films that I can safely call a great genre effort. Based on Colin Wilson's equally exciting novel THE SPACE VAMPIRES, this mysterious -- or "weird" -- sci-fi horror flick mixes Body Snatcher paranoia with Lovecraftian cosmicism in the boldest way imaginable. Mathilda May's perfect physical appearance and Mancini's memorable score alone make LIFEFORCE worth your time. But there's more, much more. The madness that follows the discovery of an alien spaceship hidden within Halley's Comet is as entertaining as it is frightening. Dan O'Bannon's screenplay opens with a heavy dose of science fiction before it transitions into an almost pure gothic spectacle. The film takes us from space to modern laboratories, and then to London burning and overrun with zombie vampires. One cannot overstate how crazy this film is; and yet, it is all so well done, the result is an utterly fascinating attempt to go bigger than THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT and darker than so many of the early '80s sci-fi horror excursions that were conceived in the wake of ALIEN's massive success.

LIFEFORCE may be far from perfect, but I'm enjoying this film time and again. Like an E.C. comic that found its own lifeforce on celluloid, it is a rare and daring accomplishment that, not unlike Carpenter's THE THING and PRINCE OF DARKNESS, failed to receive the praise it deserved. I think it's a bloody awesome film!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 29 Posts: 23,407
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    LIFEFORCE (1985)

Tobe Hooper's cult classic was poorly received when it hit theatres nearly 40 years ago but has since climbed up on many lists. It certainly is one of the very few CANNON films that I can safely call a great genre effort. Based on Colin Wilson's equally exciting novel THE SPACE VAMPIRES, this mysterious -- or "weird" -- sci-fi horror flick mixes Body Snatcher paranoia with Lovecraftian cosmicism in the boldest way imaginable. Mathilda May's perfect physical appearance and Mancini's memorable score alone make LIFEFORCE worth your time. But there's more, much more. The madness that follows the discovery of an alien spaceship hidden within Halley's Comet is as entertaining as it is frightening. Dan O'Bannon's screenplay opens with a heavy dose of science fiction before it transitions into an almost pure gothic spectacle. The film takes us from space to modern laboratories, and then to London burning and overrun with zombie vampires. One cannot overstate how crazy this film is; and yet, it is all so well done, the result is an utterly fascinating attempt to go bigger than THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT and darker than so many of the early '80s sci-fi horror excursions that were conceived in the wake of ALIEN's massive success.

LIFEFORCE may be far from perfect, but I'm enjoying this film time and again. Like an E.C. comic that found its own lifeforce on celluloid, it is a rare and daring accomplishment that, not unlike Carpenter's THE THING and PRINCE OF DARKNESS, failed to receive the praise it deserved. I think it's a bloody awesome film!

One of my favorites, I have the extended cut on Bluray presented by ARROW, the extra's are good as always.

Lifeforce is easily one the the craziest films you will see, I was thinking the other day I am due a rewatch of this underrated classic.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    LIFEFORCE (1985)

One of my favorites, I have the extended cut on Bluray presented by ARROW, the extra's are good as always.

Lifeforce is easily one the the craziest films you will see, I was thinking the other day I am due a rewatch of this underrated classic.

The ARROW bluray is, indeed, a real treat!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    20230831_143118_0-glazed-intensity10.0-render2-V1.jpg

A fine film. There's a slow-build to it but I found the pay off really worth it. There's a certain car crash sequence that took my breath away. A return to form for Mann after a few odd efforts in the last decade.
    20230831_143118_0-glazed-intensity10.0-render2-V1.jpg

A fine film. There's a slow-build to it but I found the pay off really worth it. There's a certain car crash sequence that took my breath away. A return to form for Mann after a few odd efforts in the last decade.

I'm ready to watch the film. Thanks for giving me hope, @CraigMooreOHMSS!
    I had quite the journey yesterday afternoon in finally getting to go see Poor Things and had one of the best times in theaters in a long, long while. What an experience.
    I had quite the journey yesterday afternoon in finally getting to go see Poor Things and had one of the best times in theaters in a long, long while. What an experience.

Its great, isn't it? I concur, I really enjoyed it!