The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    One of my favorites from the master.
    71IgRqK6sEL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Hitchcock finished his career strongly IMO with Frenzy and Family Plot, Barry Foster is very convincing in Frenzy.

I have most of Hitch's films on DVD and Bluray I have only got a few in 4K, I recently bought Psycho on that format.
    Foster is fantastic as Rusk.
    I'm still waiting for my favorite Hitchcock, Strangers On A Train, to get a 4K release.
    A nice Criterion edition would be most welcome.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I've never had a physical copy of Assignment K (1968), and had planned on getting an older DVD release of this mostly forgotten spy film starring Stephen Boyd and Camilla Sparv for Christmas. I quite like this film, and like OHMSS, I try to watch it during the Christmas holidays.

imprint-assignment-k.jpg?resize=1080%2C608&ssl=1

Anyway, I was happy to discover before buying a DVD copy that Imprint Films have just released a worldwide first release of Assignment K on Blu-ray. With only 1500 copies available, I jumped at the chance to get my own copy, which I got in the mail just a few days ago. I'm yet to see actual screenshots of the restored film anywhere online, but I'm sure this will be a good high-definition presentation.

Earlier this year, I also found and bought a movie tie-in paperback of the book the film is based upon, Department K by Hartley Howard, which I'll be reading during Christmas.

I can't believe i have never heard of this film, good cast I will have to look out for it. I have watched most of the spy films from that era.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 17,294
    I've never had a physical copy of Assignment K (1968), and had planned on getting an older DVD release of this mostly forgotten spy film starring Stephen Boyd and Camilla Sparv for Christmas. I quite like this film, and like OHMSS, I try to watch it during the Christmas holidays.

Anyway, I was happy to discover before buying a DVD copy that Imprint Films have just released a worldwide first release of Assignment K on Blu-ray. With only 1500 copies available, I jumped at the chance to get my own copy, which I got in the mail just a few days ago. I'm yet to see actual screenshots of the restored film anywhere online, but I'm sure this will be a good high-definition presentation.

Earlier this year, I also found and bought a movie tie-in paperback of the book the film is based upon, Department K by Hartley Howard, which I'll be reading during Christmas.

I can't believe i have never heard of this film, good cast I will have to look out for it. I have watched most of the spy films from that era.

I think I originally only found out about Assignment K from a side note on a blog post about the Matt Helm films (Camilla Sparv starred in Murderers' Row), several years ago. It's not up there with Bond and the best spy films of the era, but it's a decent spy film even so, IMO.

Probably my favourite of Hitchcocks! Cast is terrific ( love Alec McKeons starving policeman!) and great camera moves and set pieces ( the potato truck scene is still a standout sequence for its sense of the macabre!)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Hitchcock finished his career strongly IMO with Frenzy and Family Plot, Barry Foster is very convincing in Frenzy.

I have most of Hitch's films on DVD and Bluray I have only got a few in 4K, I recently bought Psycho on that format.
    Foster is fantastic as Rusk.
    I'm still waiting for my favorite Hitchcock, Strangers On A Train, to get a 4K release.
    A nice Criterion edition would be most welcome.

Strangers on a Train is right up there, I have the DVD and Bluray, the Bluray has a good commentary and documentary. Just looking at my Bluray copy now, I am putting it n my Christmas pile of films to watch it has been a few years. I often associate Hitch with Christmas, in the UK as a kid there were often Hitchcock seasons over Christmas on TV, I would tape them on VHS initially.

I think I originally only found out about Assignment K from a side note on a blog post about the Matt Helm films (Camilla Sparv starred in Murderers' Row), several years ago. It's not up there with Bond and the best spy films of the era, but it's a decent spy film even so, IMO.

Talking Pictures channel in the UK often play forgotten movies from the vault, I would not be surprised if it appeared on there at some point, they often play spy movies. they have recently shown a few of the Helm films and Danger: Diabolik.

Talking Pictures channel in the UK often play forgotten movies from the vault, I would not be surprised if it appeared on there at some point, they often play spy movies. they have recently shown a few of the Helm films and Danger: Diabolik.

It would have been great if we had a similar service over here too. Never come across any older spy flicks or anything from the Eurospy genre before. Luckily, some spy titles pop up on Youtube now and then, although the picture quality is usually very poor.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    550x757.jpg
    The Aftermath (2019) € 6,66 / 3 for € 19,98 (New)

550x750.jpg
    Isle Of Dogs (2018) € 6,66 / 3 for € 19,98 (New)

550x756.jpg
    Ad Astra (2019) € 6,66 / 3 for € 19,98 (New)
    c67751c644b196373d027f5580cbcc62.jpg
    Still not watched this film all the way through.
    ---
    Batman-Gotham-by-Gaslight-2018-movie-poster.jpg
    No idea why I bought this as I already own it on Bluray lol
    8807621_R_Z001A
    I have only had this set on DVD and a few of the seasons on Bluray single season sets, thought it was about time i got the complete set on Bluray... great excuse to do a total rewatch.
    I haven't pre-ordered it (I don't usually pre-order things anymore), but has anyone else seen / have interest in the newly announced 4K edition of Darkman? I really enjoyed this movie myself; while not extraordinary, it's a fun, distinctly Sam Raimi experience worth seeing! Something enjoyable about when the bad guys are yuppies to me, haha.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,381
    Darkman is good not seen it for some time, in fact not sure i have owned it since i had it on VHS. I would be interested to see how Darkman looks in 4K, the film has some great visuals. I have Raimi's Evil Dead trilogy boxset on Bluray and that looks good.

---

My Xbox One X is being a bit temperamental with 4K disks so treated myself to a premium dedicated 4K player for Christmas, I am sticking with physical media that's for sure.
    I already own this film on 4K digital though just found the 4K Bluray for £2 had to buy it at that price.

11997869-3454838417117010.jpg
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,381
    I started watching my Bluray LOTR boxset yesterday as it is the 20th Anniversary of TROTK, despite it being a fantastic Bluray set I immediately wondered what these films would be like in 4K. I have just been doing some last minute Christmas shopping and bought this for myself...
    ringenes-herre-2021-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-4k-uhd-box-set-4k-ultra-hd-690.jpg
    Having a sneak peak at TFOTR and the sound (Dolby Atmos) and image is phenomenal in 4K I am getting chills these films truly are incredible.
    Are 4K Discs the new Vinyl
    I was hoping to find the new 4K release of Face / Off at the store for less than it’s going for on Amazon, but struck out, so I’m just gonna hold off on that one for now. Instead I opted to start my 4K Child’s Play / Chucky collection.
    63bbbbe9-de93-486e-bbe6-388830bfb78c_1.f36aa9164ea1e0c364d2884448e8b1c2.jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff
    I never did finish the whole season, found it for £1.
    8fa13e405a52a06bf274f479f19c8057--rowan-tv-series.jpg
    24b05ab2-e14a-4486-9029-f028f1d48020.3df162bed98d64750822886ffea1e0e3.jpeg?odnHeight=768&odnWidth=768&odnBg=FFFFFF
    After watching a few reviews earlier I decided its time to start to buy the rest of the Star Trek films in 4K.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    4efb15daa5adf9214b9fed7bb22622cd_420x593.jpg?v=1691706161

@PrinceKamalKhan two more on the way.
    91cccLprGgL._SL1500_.jpg
    91WGxDsq9tL._SL1500_.jpg
    Both seasons are worth revisiting, £3.99 each on Bluray.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    mm00256188.jpg?width=700
    Of course, I had to buy that one :

4696441130.jpg
    edited January 19 Posts: 23,381
    13924608-1084985077215624.jpg

13924605-5924985078232177.jpg
    £5 off if i buy two, I am going to buy them all at some point on 4K, they arrive tomorrow.
    pbeK8zvKq2h1FGHkgC8ADUnk9uR.jpg
    I heard this was hilariously bad.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited January 20 Posts: 13,036
    ypla9kc.jpg

You wasted your money there mate! Seen it, really bad and not in a hilarious way at all!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

You wasted your money there mate! Seen it, really bad and not in a hilarious way at all!

When I woke this morning I did scratch my head as to why I bought it, I blame Jack Daniels.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 21 Posts: 4,445
    550x794.jpg550x776.jpg

Never Say.......Never Mind (2001) € 1,50
    Starring John Rhys-Davies (TLD)

Maintitles (parody on TB, TSWLM and NSNA) look better and be in 2:35:1 the rest is in 4:3 full frame (1:78:1) Cover claim DD 5.1 but it is DD 2.0.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Gosh, @M_Balje. I wanna see that.

Yes Swedish bikini team sounds appealing lol

---

Django-Unchained-Combo-Blu-Ray-DVD-bluray.jpg?fit=816%2C1000&ssl=1
    The only QT film I did not own... i think (I may have it on DVD not sure). Django Unchained is my least favorite QT film, admittedly I have only watched it 1 or 2 times, going to give the film another chance.