Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

I do like the first six films, and even FIRST CONTACT.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That reminds me, has anyone seen the show FOR ALL MANKIND? It's by former Trek writer Ronald D. Moore. I'd give it a solid recommend, being a fun alternative history of how the space race would have changed if the Russians landed on the moon first. The first episode is IMO one of the most riveting hours of television I've ever watched.
    talos7 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Wow.

Wow.They really don’t like white straight men on those starship bridges these days! ( Picard and Riker are guests ).

The writers of these modern Trek shows are so infected with the woke mind virus ( See also DISCO and SNW )

Clutching pearls again.... This is when the term "snowflake" really makes sense.

And @talos7 , my exact feelings. I loved the original series and TNG, have loads of fun with Enterprise and S3 of Picard kicked butt.

Enterprise really hit its stride when Manny Coto became more involved. Sadly, I read that he passed away somewhat recently.

Yeah Manny Coto was awesome.He really saved ENT quality wise.He loved the franchise and respected canon ( He actually used it to the show’s advantage).

Sad that he passed away really.RIP Mr Coto

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,394
    Picard S3 is my favorite TV show or film from 2023.

So many chills.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 1 Posts: 23,394
    Star Trek III: The Search For Spock 4K UHD

StarTrek III was my most anticipated movie of all time as a kid, you know if you know.

So many chills.

Yep.The only decent Star Trek put out by the Kurtzman era.

I almost skipped S3 because of terrible the first two seasons were but the likes of Robert Meyer Burnett ( who got to see it months before the release ) convinced me to give it a chance and I’m glad I did,

Rewatching Picard season 1, I bought the boxset so well here we are. S1 is considerably better than S2 despite its obvious issues, the first 2 episodes are pretty good and are intriguing enough, I probably liked them first time round,

I do tell myself frequently whilst watching, this is a sequel of sorts to Nemesis.

Visually this show does look good the budget is apparent and the CGI is not as messy as STD.
    edited January 10 Posts: 8,025

So many chills.

Yep.The only decent Star Trek put out by the Kurtzman era.

Not when LOWER DECKS and STRANGE NEW WORLDS exist.

So far I’m three episodes into PRODIGY. It’s cute, though I’ll watch more down the line to see how it progresses.
    Ricardo Montalban discusses the film "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"
    edited January 10 Posts: 23,394
    Star Trek Generations alternate ending - Kirk and Spock reunited in the Nexus

This is good.
    I gave Strange New Worlds a chance,but it’s just more woke garbage from Kurtzman.I like Anson Mount as Pike but it seems the creators can’t have more than one charismatic white male lead on the show so fill the rest of his crew with women and turn Kirk into Jim Carey lookalike.

Lower Decks is just a stupid and juvenile cartoon satire of the franchise ( at least it looked that way from all 15 mins I could take of the first and only episode I watched )

Discovery is by far the worst Star Trek show ever,in fact it may be the worst sci-fi show ever.Glad they finally decided to cancel it.

Picard S1 and S2 were a disaster.S3 managed to redeem it though.

Managed to watch about five minutes of the first episode of Prodigy ( WTF was that? )

That Starfleet Academy show they have planned sounds like trash.

Trek is dead.
    edited January 10 Posts: 23,394
    I thought SNW S1 was ok with a few stand out episodes, unfortunately for me in any case S2 was pretty awful at times. The low point of S2 being that horrendous singing episode.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 10 Posts: 16,331
    I gave Strange New Worlds a chance,but it’s just more woke garbage from Kurtzman.I like Anson Mount as Pike but it seems the creators can’t have more than one charismatic white male lead on the show so fill the rest of his crew with women and turn Kirk into Jim Carey lookalike.

Lower Decks is just a stupid and juvenile cartoon satire of the franchise ( at least it looked that way from all 15 mins I could take of the first and only episode I watched )

Discovery is by far the worst Star Trek show ever,in fact it may be the worst sci-fi show ever.Glad they finally decided to cancel it.

Picard S1 and S2 were a disaster.S3 managed to redeem it though.

Managed to watch about five minutes of the first episode of Prodigy ( WTF was that? )

That Starfleet Academy show they have planned sounds like trash.

Trek is dead.

Strange New Worlds had more than one white male character. Did you forget about Spock and Sam Kirk? Paul Wesley is pretty good as Jim Kirk too. He just had to grow into the role. People harp on the Jim Carey similarities but that's just shallow.

Lower Decks gets far better after the first episode. It quickly gets over it's early show weirdness and gets it's groove early on. It might seem juvenile on the surface but it has a lot of heart put into it. Try giving the other episodes a chance. Just because it's satire doesn't mean it's bad.

I do agree Discovery is awful. I couldn't make it beyond season 1. Picard didn't interest me at all so I skipped it.

Why are you so hung up on identity politics? Does a regular cast with four males and five women really upset you that much?

Are you only okay with a cast if it goes as far as Voyager featuring six men and four women?

Did DS9 upset you for only featuring one white male in the main cast? Did Voyager for only having two?

How the hell did you like any Star Trek featuring diverse casts since 1966?

Or was that okay in TOS/TNG because they at least featured straight white males as the captains?

Was Enterprise a breath of fresh air for you when white actors took back all the prominent roles and relegated the only two POC characters (Travis & Hoshi) in the background?

These are all rhetorical questions, I just find it really silly that anyone would get hung up over the casting demographics of STAR TREK.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Why are you so hung up on identity politics? Does a regular cast with four males and five women really upset you that much?

Are you only okay with a cast if it goes as far as Voyager featuring six men and four women?

Did DS9 upset you for only featuring one white male in the main cast? Did Voyager for only having two?

How the hell did you like any Star Trek featuring diverse casts since 1966?

Or was that okay in TOS/TNG because they at least featured straight white males as the captains?

Was Enterprise a breath of fresh air for you when white actors took back all the prominent roles and relegated the only two POC characters (Travis & Hoshi) in the background?

These are all rhetorical questions, I just find it really silly that anyone would get hung up over the casting demographics of STAR TREK.

Aston really comes off as having an inferiority complex. I really enjoyed SNW, and I wasn't aware of what the male to female ratio was, 😂!! It was just damn good, and fun, storytelling (although, I must admit, I don't like James Kirk, but I'll live with it).

Aston sounds like he's reading from the Bible of Breitbart publications where all their writers, who complain about whiners and snowflakes, are themselves the biggest whiners and snowflakes (yes, I pop on there as it really does make for good reading when I'm exploring irony, and reading their comment section when I'm researching horror)....
    edited January 10 Posts: 8,025
    I remember at another forum that I noted a small milestone for a Trek series. In this case, it was the third season of DISCOVERY. For the first time in any Star Trek series, there was not a single straight white male in the main cast (not including any recurring actors). This was NOT something anyone from production was bragging about on social media or anything, it was MY own observation. I didnt think it was a bad or good thing, it’s just a little factoid.

Well, one of the members read my observation and went on a rant claiming that woke media was trying to commit white genocide.

=))

It definitely reminded me of this meme.

d3c.jpeg
    Modern day Trek isn’t just about how woke it’s gotten ( And no,Star Trek has never been woke,it’s been progressive,I don’t remember anyone lecturing Scotty about the “ proper “ use of pronouns and Kirk’s bridge crew being almost entirely female which is ridiculous for a military vessel )

It’s about how the writers are completely and utterly creatively bankrupt,as Robert Meyer Burnett stated recently,it’s just become a show about Star Trek,just referencing all the stuff that’s come before ( Seriously! Stop mentioning Khan every five episodes and every season of Picard involved The Borg ).

Alex Kurtzman is just a talentless hack who doesn’t understand Star Trek and hired a bunch of activists on his writing staff. Thank goodness for Terry Matalas,at least he was actually a Star Trek fan and saved the final season of Picard ( Even it it was mostly fan service it had a good story and was a genuine love letter to TNG ).
    Modern day Trek isn’t just about how woke it’s gotten ( And no,Star Trek has never been woke,it’s been progressive,I don’t remember anyone lecturing Scotty about the “ proper “ use of pronouns and Kirk’s bridge crew being almost entirely female which is ridiculous for a military vessel )

What the hell is THAT supposed to imply? Do you realize how you sound?
    edited January 11 Posts: 23,394
    Star Trek prequel to 2009 film in development with Andor director
    https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/scifi/star-trek-prequel-2009-film-andor-director-newsupdate/

Toby Haynes also directed the excellent Doctor Who series 5 finale, The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang.
    The only prequel I would be interested in is the Earth-Romulan War. That’s the one major event pre-TOS that has never been depicted, and I’d prefer a mini-series.
    Great.ANOTHER classic Trek prequel.

Star Trek is boldly going backward.Star Trek used to be about looking to the future.
    Great.ANOTHER classic Trek prequel.

Star Trek is boldly going backward.Star Trek used to be about looking to the future.

As long as there’s other Trek projects that moving forward, I don’t mind the idea of one of them being a prequel.

But whatever, it seems all you’re interested in doing in this thread is griping and gatekeeping.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think it could be fun honestly. The era between the 2150's and 2230's is basically a blank canvas for Trek. Having a movie about the Romulan wars would be pretty awesome. Or they could go into some cosmic weirdness that I'd be all for. Trek can go wherever it likes as long as it's good.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think it could be fun honestly. The era between the 2150's and 2230's is basically a blank canvas for Trek. Having a movie about the Romulan wars would be pretty awesome. Or they could go into some cosmic weirdness that I'd be all for. Trek can go wherever it likes as long as it's good.

Romulan Wars, the first years of the Federation that probably saw struggle in those early years. The 22nd century is certainly a goldmine of possibly interesting stories.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Murdock wrote: »

Romulan Wars, the first years of the Federation that probably saw struggle in those early years. The 22nd century is certainly a goldmine of possibly interesting stories.

I agree…
  • edited January 12 Posts: 1,394
    Also,this year marks 8 years since the release of the last Trek movie.Marking the largest absence of Trek from the big screen.Just how incompetent are Paramount and Bad Robot at letting their golden goose die a slow death over the last decade?

They produce multiple seasons of drivel like Discovery,SNW,Lower Drecks,Prodigy and Picard ( S3 notwithstanding) and can’t get a new movie off the ground.

They really blew it with the momentum generated by the reboot in 2009 and failed to capitalise on it.No wonder Trek is dead.
    No wonder Trek is dead.

It isn’t.

Trek in cinema? Yeah, I think that is dead and it’s probably better that it stays that way. Trek is always at its heart a television show. The first ten movies only existed in the sense of being glorified reunion specials put up on the big screen. The first three films was an attempt to turn Trek into a billion dollar franchise, but Star Trek never has and never will have that wide of an appeal.

Trek is better off staying on TV.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    B-b-b-but @MakeshiftPython !!!!! Aston Lotus says… uh uh…. Uhm, like diversity hiring and, and uh, women -WOMEN- on the bridge and chicks gotta be hot. No ugly women on the bridge or in DC or in Star Wars!! Just HOT CHIXXX!!! and uh diversity ruins EVERYTHING!!! and people with dark skin!!! And WOMEN!!! WOMEN on the BRIDGE?!?!!!! What would Gene Roddenberry-… oh, wait…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 12 Posts: 14,980
    Trek in cinema? Yeah, I think that is dead and it’s probably better that it stays that way. Trek is always at its heart a television show. The first ten movies only existed in the sense of being glorified reunion specials put up on the big screen.

I must admit though, my preferred version of Trek are those movies. I just think they're the most successful iteration: they have excitement, adventure, spirit, good gags and real heart. I enjoy watching a lot of the TV stuff, but for me the films are the pinnacle. And I enjoyed S3 of Picard so much more because it intentionally tried to call on that feel.
    I also think the Pine movies are great (well, 1 and 3) and he's a pretty perfect replacement for Shatner, and I think it would be a shame if we never see him in mustard again.
    I am open to a fourth film but I think that’s not gonna happen. I didn’t like the first two, but I did like BEYOND as it did better by the characters.