Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @mtm thank you my friend
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I do find the backstory to be so unnecessary because not only does it change the origins and scope of the team's founding but also adds some unnecessary sense of revenge, considering Ethan finds the perfect reason to want to kill Gabriel after the second act death.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The first IMF secretary of the film franchise has sadly passed away - Ghost Protocol's Tom Wilkinson, aged 75. :(
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,378
    Currently watching Rogue Nation in 4K, this film really does get better each time I watch it. The opera scene is phenomenal one of the best sequences in the series.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2023 Posts: 7,981
    Currently watching Rogue Nation in 4K, this film really does get better each time I watch it. The opera scene is phenomenal one of the best sequences in the series.

It’s my favorite.. There have been times that I’ve watched it and picked Craig in place of Cruise; with som tailoring, this would have made a great Bond film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    talos7 wrote: »

It’s my favorite.

I am thinking RN based on this watch may climb above GP in my ranking. I still place M: I and Fallout above RN.

RN is a very good Bond film at its core, the writing for RN is considerably better than the last four Bond films IMO.

It’s my favorite.

I am thinking RN based on this watch may climb above GP in my ranking. I still place M: I and Fallout above RN.

RN is a very good Bond film at its core, the writing for RN is considerably better than the last four Bond films IMO.

Lol, I edited my post prior to seeing yours. Great minds…

It’s my favorite.

Lol, I edited my post prior to seeing yours. Great minds…

lol one thing that is impressive amongst many things in RN is the pacing, I don't think there is a wasted moment or piece of dialogue in the entire film.
    My series rewatch earlier this year gave me my favorite viewing of RN and my weakest experience with GP ever. RN is #3 for me now.
    Man RN was awesome thoroughly enjoyed this rewatch I got proper chills.

It is one of Tom's best performances as Ethan, Rebecca Ferguson =((
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    My series rewatch earlier this year gave me my favorite viewing of RN and my weakest experience with GP ever. RN is #3 for me now.

I think because the Khalifa sequence is so outstanding it elevated GP for me for a very long time.

Edited: I am tempted to watch the next two installments, oh what the hell going to watch Fallout.
    Fallout is indeed a masterpiece, Christopher McQuarrie draws inspiration from Nolan, Hitchcock and Friedkin to create one of the best action movies ever made.

Bizarrely one of my favorite scenes is when the French police woman is shot, some amazing character work here with minimal dialog.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Fallout is indeed a masterpiece, Christopher McQuarrie draws inspiration from Nolan, Hitchcock and Friedkin to create one of the best action movies ever made.

Bizarrely one of my favorite scenes is when the French police woman is shot, some amazing character work here with minimal dialog.

For someone who confuses these films and jumbles the last three or four up, I remember this scene you’re talking about. Excellent, top notch scene!! Beautifully executed!!
    peter wrote: »

For someone who confuses these films and jumbles the last three or four up, I remember this scene you’re talking about. Excellent, top notch scene!! Beautifully executed!!

Great deal of humanity in that scene from Ethan.
    Henry Cavill is quite menacing at times, lurking and listening in the background like a Terminator during the London underground scenes.

I still believe under a good director Cavill would be a great Bond.

Being a runner myself I absolutely buzz of the Tom running through London scene, i incorporate a lot of Plyometrics into my training though not to this extreme lol.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,006
    Agreed with much of the above!

While RN and Fallout vie for my top spot, I usually give the nod to RN since it feels slightly more like a spy/espionage film. In my opinion, the Vienna opera scene is the best sequence in all of M:I, even though it's an homage to Hitchcock (and to a lesser degree QOS).
    I feel Henry Cavill was lucky to escape with his life after shooting that scene in Fallout where Alec Baldwin points a gun at him..

“ Guns empty,what about this one…want to find out? “
    😳
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Look at all of the clever effects:

• edited January 15 Posts: 440
    mtm wrote: »

Incredible to think they did it all for real. No greenscreen or CGI here. /s

Though I guess it's better than Rogue Nation, where special effects magazine Cinefex actually had its article on the movie forcibly altered by the studio to remove these kinds of examples.

Full credit to ILM, though; I had no idea that Benji's scene was almost entirely greenscreen. Makes me wonder if it was one of those trademark McQ late additions.

Thank you for finding and sharing it with us @mtm !
    I've said that they should have added traffic to the Rome chase in SPECTRE; this illustrates that it could have been done seamlessly
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've said that they should have added traffic to the Rome chase in SPECTRE; this illustrates that it could have been done seamlessly

Why, though? I'm not looking for a fight or anything. Just wondering what the point of traffic at nighttime is. Where I live, hardly any car is seen at night. Then again, I don't live in Rome. 😉
    edited January 16 Posts: 7,981
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Why, though? I'm not looking for a fight or anything. Just wondering what the point of traffic at nighttime is. Where I live, hardly any car is seen at night. Then again, I don't live in Rome. 😉

Well, there is realism, then there is something that’s exciting and visually interesting; sometimes they are not the same. How would a silent battle in Star Wars go over?

I found the car chase visually uninteresting, despite the incredible setting, and quite dull. I think the addition of other vehicles could have made it feel more precarious and added visual appeal
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Well, there is realism, then there is something that’s exciting and visually interesting; sometimes they are not the same. How would a silent battle in Star Wars go over?

I found the car chase visually uninteresting, despite the incredible setting, and quite dull. I think the addition of other vehicles could have made it feel more precarious and added visual appeal

Obstacles would add tension.
  • edited January 16 Posts: 6,677
    Not to extend an over extended discussion, but for me I would only cut the Moneypenny scenes from it, the rest of it is properly ghostly, as it should be in a film with SP for title ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Univex wrote: »
    Not to extend an over extended discussion, but for me I would only cut the Moneypenny scenes from it, the rest of it is properly ghostly, as it should be in a film with SP for title ;)

"I thought I saw a Spectre on your hard shoulder."

"I thought I saw a Spectre on your hard shoulder."

Indeed my good friend ;) And by “hard shoulder” you of course meant “the area at the side of a motorway or other road where you are allowed to stop if your car breaks down”. And, as such, a deserted area. Ghostly ;) A spectral run of the road.
  • edited January 18 Posts: 4,600
    Some interesting comments recently (been away for a while). I'm not sure what Grace brings to the film compared to what she takes away. Imagine a script without Grace with Ilsa largely replacing her role/screen time. The airport scene, car chase, night club, Venice chase/fight scenes could all be completed with Ilsa with her steadily further bonding with Ethan (and the team) with sharp dialogue/banter and hints of romance (as per previous movies), finding out a little some more about her personal background and then Ilsa dies during the train set piece, leaving a far bigger emotional impact and setting up a better revenge story for the next movie.

The train scene has great physical drama but lacks emotional drama IMHO. The audience would be more invested if Ilsa's life was at risk (and worse) during the train climax compared to a character that we have no real connection with.

It's also possible to continue the deeper theme from Fallout re the morals of Ethan trying to save every single life (with some early Ilsa dialogue foreshadowing this) and Ethan being on the receiving end of this concept and it's Ilsa who saves him.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Dead Reckoning is a rare modern example of writing good female characters.Rebecca Ferguson,Vanessa Kirby,Hayley Atwell,and Pom Klementieff are all great in it and really add to the story.There is no ridiculous girlboss stuff really ( Both Ferguson and Klementieff are beaten by the villain and Atwells character,while able to hold her own in a fight,relies on Hunt to save her).

It's actually a fine example of how not to write a female character when it comes to Ilsa, for my money. A really poor series of creative decisions.

I don't think any writing in regards to Ilsa is bad, per se, but the whole movie really feels like they suddenly didn't know what to do with her character and were desperate to replace her with Grace. Such a mind-boggling and aggravating decision after building her up over the last few installments.

And Ilsa is the better character. I, for one, was gutted, no pun intended. What a shame, to loose that character like that. A Mathis kind of situation, if you ask me. She deserved better.

I disagree.Ilsa served her purpose in the previous two films and her death increases the personal stakes for Hunt in taking Gabriel down ( The brief flashbacks allude to a similar incident in Hunts past during a previous encounter with Gabriel many years previously).

And I liked how they handled Ilsas death.She went out fighting.You’re supposed to feel “ gutted “ as you say because she had become a beloved character.It’s about time they killed a major character off in this series.

To some of us that is called 'fridging'. It's not good writing.

No I don’t buy into that “ fridging “ nonsense.It’s just a word made up by the woke feminists to complain when a female character isn’t front and center kicking all the horrible white males in every movie.

I liked Ilsa but the Mission Impossible movies,while they have an ensemble cast,there is no question they are TOM CRUISE movies.Ethan Hunt is the main character and Ilsas death propels him forward in this story and makes his mission to stop Gabriel more personal.

Does anyone here complain about the “ Fridging “ of Vesper in CR?

mtm wrote: »

Pretty sure there were comments when I first watched this. They were very positive.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 19 Posts: 4,444
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/mission-impossible-renames-seventh-film/
    “Mission: Impossible” Renames Seventh Film
    By
    Garth Franklin
    Thursday, January 18th 2024 1:52 pm
    Paramount Pictures

It’s official, Paramount Pictures has renamed “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One” to just “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning”.

The news follows in the wake of a delay of what was called “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part Two” which was supposed to originally arive June 28th 2024 and will now hit May 23rd 2025. With that delay a while back came the news that film would receive a new title.

The news comes after the movie’s theatrical run wasn’t the home run that had been hoped – the film lost amidst the crush that was the Barbenheimer cultural event.

Despite critical acclaim, the film grossed $567.5 million at the global box-office from a budget of $219 million – down from the $690-790 million its three predecessors grossed on budgets that came in considerably less.

Filming is set to continue on the eighth film for a good chunk of this year and will potentially mark the end of the franchise.

Source: Variety

Mabey i should thankfull now there is no 2 disc BD release in my country (and first disc not included the isolated score, only audiocommentary), whyle movie was bigger hit then Fallout. Title change is now another good reasen to make new release. 30 minutes of features be already not be that much (Whyle it is better then nothing).

Whyle deal with Warner can be problem for new release, i think earlier there mabey going to use old disc. With Warner buying Paramount my expection then wil be that deal with DutchFilmworks who release Paramount titles since late 2020 (and take over from Universal) in The Netherlands with exeption of Top Gun 2 (and possible reasen why Babylon and Mi7 missing te bonus disc) will end and Warner wil do this for them (There doing this for MGM titles already and take this over from 20th Century Fox and also for some Universal titles). And mabey it is even possible that Bond 29&30 wil start with Paramount logo (after Amazon and MGM logo) as Eon have deal with MGM/Amazon/Warner make Bond 27/Bond 28 and then Paramount moost logic step to be next if Warner not stay much longer. Bond 26 wil be made by MGM/Universal like NTTD but with help of Amazon and expect be released under the MGM/Universal flag (like NTTD and like Sony and CR2006). And Tom Cruis is now also Warner actor after Mi8 and Top Gun 3.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited February 5 Posts: 1,431
    There's been very little movement on the production so that's an exciting update. I could've swore someone shared they were filming a few months back but I couldn't find more on it anywhere I searched.