Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Dead Reckoning is a rare modern example of writing good female characters.Rebecca Ferguson,Vanessa Kirby,Hayley Atwell,and Pom Klementieff are all great in it and really add to the story.There is no ridiculous girlboss stuff really ( Both Ferguson and Klementieff are beaten by the villain and Atwells character,while able to hold her own in a fight,relies on Hunt to save her).

Totally agreed. The only issues I have with the script are when it comes to the two keys, but I traced their path on my recent rewatch and it all makes sense now. I even had a running list throughout but I'm an idiot and deleted it before posting it.

Regardless, the one key that Ilsa gets off the courier and hands to Ethan (that ends up changing hands with Grace throughout) is one of the genuine keys throughout. All the others are counterfeit, until we're told the other genuine key is in the possession of the White Widow. The only nagging point left is how both keys were mysteriously acquired when the bodies were found in the thawed ice yet how they both went to completely different people.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Dead Reckoning is a rare modern example of writing good female characters.Rebecca Ferguson,Vanessa Kirby,Hayley Atwell,and Pom Klementieff are all great in it and really add to the story.There is no ridiculous girlboss stuff really ( Both Ferguson and Klementieff are beaten by the villain and Atwells character,while able to hold her own in a fight,relies on Hunt to save her).

Totally agreed. The only issues I have with the script are when it comes to the two keys, but I traced their path on my recent rewatch and it all makes sense now. I even had a running list throughout but I'm an idiot and deleted it before posting it.

Regardless, the one key that Ilsa gets off the courier and hands to Ethan (that ends up changing hands with Grace throughout) is one of the genuine keys throughout. All the others are counterfeit, until we're told the other genuine key is in the possession of the White Widow. The only nagging point left is how both keys were mysteriously acquired when the bodies were found in the thawed ice yet how they both went to completely different people.

Agreed the whole key thing was difficult 2 keep track of on first viewing but the Movie benefits from rewatches and makes it more clear.I would guess the questions you raised will be answered in part 2.

It looks like Hunt and his team will have to deep dive to the wreck of the sub in part 2 as that is where the main core of “ The Entity “ is located right? So it looks like the car chase is not the only thing from FYEO that Cruise and McQuarrie were inspired by!
    Absolutely, really only needed a couple more viewings before most of it fell into place.

And you said it. I do think that'll end up encompassing the finale, or at least a big chunk at some point. I figure either:
    Gabriel will retrieve the source code, resulting in a finale where Ethan has to find it and destroy it, or the sub will be a heroic-type finale where there's no escape and Hunt sacrifices himself to destroy the source code and save the world. I hope it's the former.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

It's actually a fine example of how not to write a female character when it comes to Ilsa, for my money. A really poor series of creative decisions.

It's actually a fine example of how not to write a female character when it comes to Ilsa, for my money. A really poor series of creative decisions.

I don't think any writing in regards to Ilsa is bad, per se, but the whole movie really feels like they suddenly didn't know what to do with her character and were desperate to replace her with Grace. Such a mind-boggling and aggravating decision after building her up over the last few installments.

I don't think any writing in regards to Ilsa is bad, per se, but the whole movie really feels like they suddenly didn't know what to do with her character and were desperate to replace her with Grace. Such a mind-boggling and aggravating decision after building her up over the last few installments.

And Ilsa is the better character. I, for one, was gutted, no pun intended. What a shame, to loose that character like that. A Mathis kind of situation, if you ask me. She deserved better.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 1,394
    Univex wrote: »

And Ilsa is the better character. I, for one, was gutted, no pun intended. What a shame, to loose that character like that. A Mathis kind of situation, if you ask me. She deserved better.

I disagree.Ilsa served her purpose in the previous two films and her death increases the personal stakes for Hunt in taking Gabriel down ( The brief flashbacks allude to a similar incident in Hunts past during a previous encounter with Gabriel many years previously).

And I liked how they handled Ilsas death.She went out fighting.You’re supposed to feel “ gutted “ as you say because she had become a beloved character.It’s about time they killed a major character off in this series.

I disagree.Ilsa served her purpose in the previous two films and her death increases the personal stakes for Hunt in taking Gabriel down ( The brief flashbacks allude to a similar incident in Hunts past during a previous encounter with Gabriel many years previously).

And I liked how they handled Ilsas death.She went out fighting.You’re supposed to feel “ gutted “ as you say because she had become a beloved character.It’s about time they killed a major character off in this series.

To some of us that is called 'fridging'. It's not good writing.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 6,677
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Exactly. Awful writing. Fallout was a masterpiece in the writing department by comparison.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sadly Ilsa had nowhere to go without compromising her character. She was so independent that Ethan and her could never really be together, but she also couldn’t keep leaving and then coming back to team up with him again. The character had run its course, and yet I also still don’t agree with killing her off. I don’t know what the solution is but I do know when I’m not satisfied.
    McQ’s writing previously felt masterful to me but here it was ragged and disjointed. Hopefully it’s just a blip.
    Grace is not much of a replacement for me.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 8,038

Absolutely correct. No amount of flashbacks can make it any more acceptable. The fact that she died at the hands of someone clearly not as skilled as some of the villains she's previously faced and bested just added additional insult.

Kill off a beloved character all you want to increase emotional stakes; no issue with that. However it simply must make sense logically in order for the emotion to land afterwards.
    mtm wrote: »
    The character had run its course, and yet I also still don’t agree with killing her off. I don’t know what the solution is but I do know when I’m not satisfied.

I'd have left it at the fakeout death in this installment, rather than her "dying" only to come back and then die for real.

The only thing I can think of that may have influenced their decision making was Ferguson's availability coupled with the Covid issues they faced during shooting meaning they couldn't keep shooting back to back. I don't envy them in the slightest - but I'd have really preferred if they left her in hiding and she returned to help save the day in part two (perhaps getting her heroic death then, instead).

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Maybe it was the killing her halfway through the film: just felt rather anti climactic. They just kind of move on from it onto the next set piece.
  • M_Blaise wrote: »

Like Tracy Bond

;)

Like Tracy Bond

;)

No a character dying isn't automatically fridging.

No I don’t buy into that “ fridging “ nonsense.It’s just a word made up by the woke feminists to complain when a female character isn’t front and center kicking all the horrible white males in every movie.

I liked Ilsa but the Mission Impossible movies,while they have an ensemble cast,there is no question they are TOM CRUISE movies.Ethan Hunt is the main character and Ilsas death propels him forward in this story and makes his mission to stop Gabriel more personal.

Does anyone here complain about the “ Fridging “ of Vesper in CR?

edited December 2023 Posts: 8,038

No I don’t buy into that “ fridging “ nonsense.It’s just a word made up by the woke feminists to complain when a female character isn’t front and center kicking all the horrible white males in every movie.

The concept of "fridging" has been around since before you were born, and from a time where the word "woke" actually related to someone's status of sleeping/not sleeping. So no, not really.
    I liked Ilsa but the Mission Impossible movies,while they have an ensemble cast,there is no question they are TOM CRUISE movies.Ethan Hunt is the main character and Ilsas death propels him forward in this story and makes his mission to stop Gabriel more personal.

This isn't an excuse for bad writing. And yes, while increasing the emotional angle may have been the intention, the writing of it is so hodgepodge that it doesn't land. Ethan already has a personal motivation to stop Gabriel, too.
    Does anyone here complain about the “ Fridging “ of Vesper in CR?

No, because that's not an example of it.

• Fridging is cool :D

Revenge movies need that.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,986
    Ethan already has a personal motivation to stop Gabriel already, too.

Which is of course the death of a previous ladyfriend. I guess you could say McQ is trying to set up some rhymes and recurring elements in there, but I'm not sure it's not repetitious and just looks a bit like he couldn't think of another way of making it personal. And killing off love interests is a touch trite already; doing it twice has the potential for it to be doubly so.

When the flashback started I actually thought for a moment we were going back to Sarah from the first movie being killed, which I wouldn't have minded it linking back to. Kristin Scott Thomas was easily one of the better love interests from the MI films for my money.

It's funny to imagine her being Tom's love interest in a movie made today. Just wouldn't happen as she dares to look her age.
    Fridging is cool :D

Yep.

• peterpeter Toronto

Yep.

Hulloooo, hulloooo.

🙄
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 486
    Come on guys! Ilsa is obviously alive. The reveal of her being alive will be one of the "big twists" of M:I 8. And no, this isn't a spoiler as it's not something I read somewhere. It's just obvious. Also, I am not writing this because I hope she will return. I mean, she was great in Rogue Nation but I didn't particularly care for her character beyond that film.

Also, "fridging" is about the phenomenon of women character being killed to move a male character's story arc forward being far more common than the other way around. I don't think anyone ever claimed it's always wrong to do that. What people said (I mean in general, not in this topic) is that it's wrong that it's far more common than the other way around.
    Come on guys! Ilsa is obviously alive. The reveal of her being alive will be one of the "big twists" of M:I 8. And no, this isn't a spoiler as it's not something I read somewhere. It's just obvious. Also, I am not writing this because I hope she will return. I mean, she was great in Rogue Nation but I didn't particularly care for her character beyond that film.

Also, "fridging" is about the phenomenon of women character being killed to move a male character's story arc forward being far more common than the other way around. I don't think anyone ever claimed it's always wrong to do that. What people said (I mean in general, not in this topic) is that it's wrong that it's far more common than the other way around.

Well action movies are mostly made for men so it’s only natural that more women get “ fridged “.

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,434
    Vesper was not Fridged. I don't think any Bond woman has ever truly been "fridged" in the same sense as the original context/inspiration for the term.

Ilsa was fridged, and in this case, it was poor writing because she was immediately replaced by an almost identical character. I find arguments saying Ilsa had no ground left to stand on as a character in Ethan's story as nonsense from someone who lacks imagination. They could be lovers, they could be platonic, why can't she join the IMF and be another Benji-type team partner? You can't on one hand say Luther belongs in every movie and hasn't been forcefully written in lately, and then on the other hand say there are zero story options for Ilsa in an action movie with 20 functional characters. Come on.

MI7 is bad writing, and MI6 is right there to show it up.

The Ilsa death may not have me in the seat for MI8. 7 was so sloppy to me. I'm glad it's somebody's favorite at least. Someone let me know if Ilsa comes back once 8 is released, as I also do suspect that's likely the case.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Luther and Benji are a variation of the same character. The IT help, the MI equivalent of Q branch. Benji being the bumbling comedy character for the most part. In reality of course such a team member wouldn't last so long. But the MI films work not only as a team effort, though Ethan does most of the work and saves the day, but you need that element of comedy (started by the Bond series) to keep the film light and exciting. Without the odd quip or joke, it would be rather dull.
    Luther on the other hand acts in a similar vein to Benji, but is more successful in getting the info or unraveling the puzzle that the team my need. You could drop either of them and the films would still work, but they need at least one of them, for the team element to succeed.
    Personally I enjoy both Luther and Benji, and find them to be great additions to the cast.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Vesper was not Fridged. I don't think any Bond woman has ever truly been "fridged" in the same sense as the original context/inspiration for the term.

I guess Della comes the closest perhaps..? Maybe Jill Masterson, but Bond didn’t care massively deeply about her.
    LucknFate wrote: »

Ilsa was fridged, and in this case, it was poor writing because she was immediately replaced by an almost identical character. I find arguments saying Ilsa had no ground left to stand on as a character in Ethan's story as nonsense from someone who lacks imagination. They could be lovers, they could be platonic, why can't she join the IMF and be another Benji-type team partner?

I think that’s a bit strong. The issue with Ilsa is that she’s been shown to not really want to be a long term part of the team, and also to basically want out of the game, so to join IMF would contradict her character somewhat. Maybe they could have found a way to sell it to us, but also arguably with DR these films were reaching a stage where they’re getting too repetitive and need a shakeup (personally I’d have killed Benji off).
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Watched Dead Reckoning for the second time last night. I forgot how much they say "the Entity" throughout, to quote Silva, It's exhausting.

The exposition scene after the desert sequence was ridiculous to me, the way every character in the room was finishing the next person's sentence was really grating to me for some reason this time round.

I'm still not fond of Grace as a character, it becomes a bit repetitive watching Ethan chase Grace and the CIA guys chase Ethan.

Loved the action again this time round, that alleyway fight is exhilarating and the bike jump still has me holding my breath

I do wish they hadn't have changed the MI team backstory though. The Choice element feels really last minute and tacked on. Ethan and the team only joined the IMF to avoid prison, isn't that the same as The Man From Uncle?
    Feels like that goes against Ethan and the teams collective character, they've always known right from wrong even when others don't.
    I really do believe Ilsa is dead because..

1) They lulled us into a false sense of security by “ killing “ her in the opening of the film only for it to be fake before actually killing her for real.

2) Ethan finds her with a big knife sticking out her chest
    personally I’d have killed Benji off.

I said this about Fallout considering the stakes and themes of that one. Benji is only a part of the team because of Ethan, essentially.

But it would have been doubly effective here considering the technological nature of the enemy. Ethan losing a massive chunk of his tech support in the field would have ramped things up a bit for me. It looks like they're going to push the analog vs digital thing in the next one, to boot.

It would have been cool to have Benji be the one to stumble into Gabriel and Grace on the bridge, too. We all expected to see Ilsa, of course, but Benji also went looking for Ethan/everyone after the comms were hacked. Gabriel's victory would have made physical sense then, too.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2023 Posts: 14,986
    I feel like I wrote that post Jordo- I agree with every word! :)
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Watched Dead Reckoning for the second time last night. I forgot how much they say "the Entity" throughout, to quote Silva, It's exhausting.

Yeah, especially considering they made the name up themselves. They could have called it anything.
    The exposition scene after the desert sequence was ridiculous to me, the way every character in the room was finishing the next person's sentence was really grating to me for some reason this time round.

I really hated that scene in the cinema- it just kills the pace stone dead. There's also just way too much backstory and detail in it: I feel like they tell us far too much we don't need to know. Ethan does something mildly clever to escape but it's nothing close to the fake hospital gag at the start of Fallout - this film just doesn't hit the ground running and feels leaden where Fallout was nimble and audience-pleasing.
    I'm still not fond of Grace as a character, it becomes a bit repetitive watching Ethan chase Grace and the CIA guys chase Ethan.

Yeah it's very rinse-and-repeat: the CIA guys don't really advance through the story. It's like they're in a cartoon - they just turn up to chase the pigeon.
    And I feel the same about Grace; I just don't find her attractive. I don't mean in a physical or sexual sense: I'm not attracted to the character and I found myself just not wanting to spend time with her. I guess it's a personal thing: I've seen folks say they found Phoebe Waller Bridge to be irritating in Indiana Jones which I can't understand, but I'm the same with the Grace character. She just rubs me up the wrong way, especially as she was effectively replacing the much-better Ilsa in my eyes.
    Loved the action again this time round, that alleyway fight is exhilarating and the bike jump still has me holding my breath

Yes, those are wonderfully executed.
    I do wish they hadn't have changed the MI team backstory though. The Choice element feels really last minute and tacked on. Ethan and the team only joined the IMF to avoid prison, isn't that the same as The Man From Uncle?
    Feels like that goes against Ethan and the teams collective character, they've always known right from wrong even when others don't.

Also agreed: it feels a bit of large swing of backstory which affects all of the previous films, and I don't buy it that the Ethan in those was originally a dodgy character who changed his ways. He's cleaner than clean: that's his thing. Why wouldn't the bosses who were chasing him every previous time he's gone rogue have mentioned that whenever they were going though his file and telling about his parents' farm etc.? Angela Bassett had a chip on her shoulder about the IMF being 'Halloween' in Fallout, if they were actually an organisation entirely made up of ex-criminals you'd have thought that would have been the bigger issue for her and she might have mentioned it!

personally I’d have killed Benji off.

I said this about Fallout considering the stakes and themes of that one. Benji is only a part of the team because of Ethan, essentially.

But it would have been doubly effective here considering the technological nature of the enemy. Ethan losing a massive chunk of his tech support in the field would have ramped things up a bit for me. It looks like they're going to push the analog vs digital thing in the next one, to boot.

It would have been cool to have Benji be the one to stumble into Gabriel and Grace on the bridge, too. We all expected to see Ilsa, of course, but Benji also went looking for Ethan/everyone after the comms were hacked. Gabriel's victory would have made physical sense then, too.

Yup, works for me.
    The stuff with Benji directing Ethan on his bike at the end feels a little tired: we've been there now. I'm not sure how much more he has to give.
    And yes, I thought he really might die at the end of Fallout. I guess it's for the best he didn't as it would have been a downer ending which isn't what the film was going for, but they could have ditched him here.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 252
    Director Christopher McQuarrie on stunts in latest "Mission: Impossible" film