Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Prince William thanks well-wishers following King Charles' cancer announcement

Tom gets a shout out from Prince William and its very funny.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 7 Posts: 4,442
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/filming-resumes-on-mission-impossible-8/
    The currently untitled eighth “Mission: Impossible” feature is back in production after the strikes halted shooting on the movie in July last year.

Shooting for the next instalment took place in the UK on Tuesday, with star/producer Tom Cruise spotted with longer and almost M:I-2 length hair in photos which can be seen at The Daily Mail.

-

Back when ‘Dead Reckoning’ was releasing, and just days before the strikes halted progress on the film, director Christopher McQuarrie gave an update on how much of the movie was done saying around 40% of the movie was completed and they’re done location shooting required in both Africa and the Arctic.

He also added the biggest and most complicated sequence of the film had yet to be shot. Joining the returnees from the last film will be Holt McCallany (“Mindhunter”) as the U.S. Secretary of Defense, along with Nick Offerman, Janet McTeer, Hannah Waddingham and Lucy Tulugarjuk.

Janet McTeer you mabey can have seen in movie's like The Menu with Ralph Fienes, Me Before You or Insurgent. Hannah Waddingham was seen earlier in The Hustle (2019) and Les Misérables (2012) and she did voice of chacter named Jinx in new animated Garfield movie.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I do wonder if they'll be a time jump at some point in the film. Maybe that's way Cruise's hair will be longer? Either that or he'll be filming more of Ethan's backstory with Marie in MI8.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I do wonder if they'll be a time jump at some point in the film. Maybe that's way Cruise's hair will be longer? Either that or he'll be filming more of Ethan's backstory with Marie in MI8.

I tend to think time jump; I think this would help to make it more of a stand alone film. They seem to be backing away from the part 1/part 2 angle.
    talos7 wrote: »

I tend to think time jump; I think this would help to make it more of a stand alone film. They seem to be backing away from the part 1/part 2 angle.

Yeah I hope so too mate
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I think that would be a wise decision, it may give Ethan more of an arc regarding events in DR.

I am holding off on buying the DR 4K steelbook simply because it currently has part 1 written on it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Long haired Ethan Hunt reigns supreme. So glad to see him rocking the longer look this go around again.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Long haired Ethan Hunt reigns supreme. So glad to see him rocking the longer look this go around again.

lol, I much prefer short haired Ethan; hopefully he will get a haircut mid film. :D
    It's just one of those funny and irrelevant "running themes" of the series where I always felt like I somehow enjoyed his installments where his hair was longer (though that's kind of been squashed in the past few years as I've reassessed my favorites/least favorites). There was a period there where it altered every other film, until Fallout.
    Bloodied, longer hair, and more nighttime running. Sign me up. This film can't arrive soon enough.

Thanks a ton for sharing those, @patb.
    patb wrote: »
    Awesome, I wonder how long they are shooting in London, tempted to go down to see them.
  • edited March 25 Posts: 4,600
    shades of Skyfall, Parliament under threat, running around to save the day. I think we can assume that AI has taken over the government infrastructure? )
    A photo of Cruise running !??! How can that be ! I jest, but actually I think it's great
    patb wrote: »

These photos look great, thanks for sharing mate
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Always happy to see MI filming photos shared.
    Can't wait for the next installment, which gathering from the change in Ethan's appearance (longer hair) the next film will likely be 6 months or a year or two later?
    Hair grows roughly a half an inch a month. his hair was fairly short in the last entry ; I suspect this film will take place at least a year later, if not more.
    Love Lies Bleeding's Katy O'Brian has been cast in the latest installment:

https://deadline.com/2024/03/mission-impossible-8-adds-katy-obrian-to-cast-1235869620/
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Hair grows roughly a half an inch a month.

Speak for yourself... I'd simply love for my hair to grow... 😂
    😂
    peter wrote: »

Now, now, I've seen you rocking these locks:

1874ffgoonk61.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Now, now, I've seen you rocking these locks:

1874ffgoonk61.jpg

@Creasy47 , no joke!; before my locks fell out, I did have long, blonde hair. My kids said I looked like a surfer-dude, and can’t believe that was ever me.

And neither can I, 😂!!

But, one day I started to shed hair faster than a dog bringing in his new spring coat. I receded fast. I shaved my head short to try and stop this dreaded male pattern baldness- thing, but, alas….

… I’m now Dr Evil (pinkie in side of mouth, and all…)
    That's gold! At least you got ahead of the inevitable baldness in a smart way.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That's gold! At least you got ahead of the inevitable baldness in a smart way.

And now there’s just more face for my wife to love ( 😂 )
    I see on paramount+ they dropped the part one and are calling it just Dead Reckoning. I wonder if they will rerelease the physical media without part one. my bluray says part one. just weird I wonder why they changed it. https://www.paramountplus.com/movies/video/sh0UeJexoBbPNr40vL8zV9TpG9qG7_BS/
    While I enjoyed Dead Reckoning there was something that I can’t quite put my finger on that was off about it. All of the ingredients were there but the final product, while still enjoyable, was oddly less than fully satisfying . I do think that Covid restrictions added complexity to the production that can’t be underestimated. Cruise and company would never admit this, but are no doubt aware.

While there will be elements that carry over, an effort is being made to make the entire its own Entity, so to speak.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    While I enjoyed Dead Reckoning there was something that I can’t quite put my finger on that was off about it. All of the ingredients were there but the final product, while still enjoyable, was oddly less than fully satisfying . I do think that Covid restrictions added complexity to the production that can’t be underestimated. Cruise and company would never admit this, but are no doubt aware.

While there will be elements that carry over, an effort is being made to make the entire its own Entity, so to speak.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Having watched it again recently, it just doesn’t ‘feel’ like a Mission movie and it doesn’t grab me or even hold my attention during it - I found it an effort to keep watching.

Initially having seen it in the cinema, I thought that feeling might’ve been from having seen too much of the scenes in the trailers but now, I would view it as a patchwork quilt of scenes, which don’t quite add up to a coherent movie.

For me, it’s like NTTD - an okay movie, in certain ways but just one that doesn’t work overall and has almost zero rewatchability (when compared to the other Mission movies, including 2, which is a bit of a turkey).

I hope they haven’t gone so far with the next one that they cannot reverse course to some extent, having noted the feedback / performance from this one.
    edited April 4 Posts: 2,513
    Having rewatched DR Part 1 recently, I think there was just too many characters and too much exposition.
    Fallout had no fat on it by comparison, it felt like set piece to set piece, which isn't for everyone but it's easy to rewatch
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I know where you’re coming from @talos7
    I’ve enjoyed the MI series since ‘96 and the first movie.
    But something in DR seemed off.
    It’s not obvious or noticeable. It just feels off.
    My most obvious gripe with the film is the parachute scene where Ethan enters the train during the climax.
    It just felt and looked to convenient too me.
    The stunts and story in MI have been better in previous instalments.
    I’m hoping MI 8 is an improvement, and too be fair, MI 7 wasn’t a let down.
    It’s just wasn’t the sum of its parts across the board.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    My guilty pleasure from the franchise is still MI2. Woo's direction is his Wooest. Zimmer's score is really good. Tom Cruise becomes a bonafide action star after this film. Thandiwe Newton is eye candy. Dougray Scott's Ambrose and his goons are entertaining and unintentionally funny at times. It's not the most intricate MI film, but I really like it.