Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

1296297298299300302»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Tom looks ridiculously good for his age, I can't believe he is 61.

I hope Tom decides to continue making these films after part 8. I really hope Ethan does not get killed off like DC's Bond.

I think they'll pull a 'Bourne Ultimatum' on Hunt.
    We think he's dead... and right before the end titles start playing, we see him walk away.

Or possibly running away knowing Tom ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is that the same outfit he’s wearing in the biplane scene.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Is that the same outfit he’s wearing in the biplane scene.

Having reviewed the photo's posted from JustJared, and the ones from the biplane scenes that appeared a while ago, it looks like Tom is indeed wearing the same outfit.
    Well spotted @mtm
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 2 Posts: 1,383
    I still don't understand why they want to change the title...when they've already name the first one, with part one attached to it and the next film being a very direct sequel. Maybe they feel Dead Reckoning as a title, was the reason for the box office failure, apart from Barbie & Oppenheimer, I don't know.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I still don't understand why they want to change the title...when they've already name the first one, with part one attached to it and the next film being a very direct sequel. Maybe they feel Dead Reckoning as a title, was the reason for the box office failure, apart from Barbie & Oppenheimer, I don't know.

I think they are aware that DR did not connect with audiences to the degree that other entrees had; it's not a bad movie by any means but there was something missing.
    I tend to think the weight of dealing with COVID restrictions during the prolonged production didn't help.

The initial thought may have been to have the next film be a direct follow up, but is appears that they are making it clear that some time has past, Tom's longer hair being one gauge . No doubt the two films will be connected in some ways but they are approaching this in a way that will give it it's own identity.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »

I think they are aware that DR did not connect with audiences to the degree that other entrees had; it's not a bad movie by any means but there was something missing.
    I tend to think the weight of dealing with COVID restrictions during the prolonged production didn't help.

The initial thought may have been to have the next film be a direct follow up, but is appears that they are making it clear that some time has past, Tom's longer hair being one gauge . No doubt the two films will be connected in some ways but they are approaching this in a way that will give it it's own identity.
    From a marketing perspective, it may make sense for this to be NTTD as opposed to Spectre: Part 2. I assume a good chunk of the story (key stunts) was / were locked down / too tied to DR to change but based on DR’s reception, they are trying to establish continuity but ‘detach’ it from DR, in as much as they can.
    edited May 3 Posts: 1,383
    talos7 wrote: »

Yeah, it's not a bad film, yet like a lot of people have said, (which I also agree with) there's something missing...I don't know what it is. Maybe the upcoming film would have a new baddie? To help create its own identity. If they had known, they shouldn't have named it Part One, so it stays on its own like the other films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 3 Posts: 16,333
    I think what's missing is we don't see enough of how big of a threat the Entity is. We get a nice demonstration at the start and airport scene but it never shows something sinister. There should have been a scene where The Entity shows it's true potential for chaos and causes some kind of industrial accident that starts a panic.
    edited May 3 Posts: 1,383
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think what's missing is we don't see enough of how big of a threat the Entity is. We get a nice demonstration at the start and airport scene but it never shows something sinister. There should have been a scene where The Entity shows it's true potential for chaos and causes some kind of industrial accident that starts a panic.

Yeah, that could be it. Although, some filmmakers don't like showing much of something, so it doesn't lose its value. Imagine what Michael Bay would have done with The Entity, LOL. Although, one thing I know is, I felt more mystery and complexity in DR than I did in NTTD. NTTD should have tried to do something complex and more mysterious with the Nanobots like DR did with The Entity. For all the action in DR, it still aimed for suspense and mystery, so it did well and better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the bit where it becomes Benji in Venice is a pretty decent demonstration of its scary powers.
    I think the bit where it becomes Benji in Venice is a pretty decent demonstration of its scary powers.

True, true, true....so true. The fact that The Entity doesn't talk, makes it more scary.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 3 Posts: 7,999
    I really like the concept of The Entity. FO is a very good film ;it frustrates my that I can’t quite put my finger on what its lacking. Some time has passed since I’ve seen it; I’m going to give it another go. My initial, mild, disappointment may have , in part, been do to my anticipation having been so high.
  • edited May 3 Posts: 4,602
    It's hard to work out how the "Entity" can be seen as such a huge threat and yet, there will be a time gap between the movies. As we saw with NTTD, once the script writers are tied up with linking up old plot threads, it can be very messy. If they have abandoned the idea of "back to back" then, with hindsight, two seperate adventures would have been fine. Has McQ overstretched?
    On another note, we know that the corporate machine is happy to squeeze every last cent from any franchise. I sincerely hope that the MI brand is not trashed in this process and a genuine attempt to make original, new stories is made.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

It's a great scene but perhaps a show of force was needed to try and guilt Ethan into giving it the keys. Perhaps as a cliffhanger for part 2.
  • edited May 6 Posts: 17,331
    Tom Cruise apparently landed with a private airplane at Vigra airport outside Ålesund this weekend. Shooting scenes in Norway again?
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    I did not have high hopes for DR, as Christopher McQuarrie basicly killed my enthusiasm for the franchise with the uninspired direction in Rogue Nation and Fallout, I was really puzzled that he of all directors would be the one that got offered the chance to direct more than one MI film. But he really proved me wrong this time, DR is by far his best effort yet and one of the best in the franchise. It brought back a lot of the humor, energy and style of GP. It is maybe a bit too long and lacks a satisfying conclusion, but it is one hell of a ride with excellent sequences and a colorful set of characters. My ranking of the films:

1. Mission Impossible (More of a thriller, which i prefer. Expertly directed by De Palma)
    2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Colorful, kinetic, peak of the action scenes of the franchise, basicly tied for the first spot)
    3. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1 (Return to form)
    4. Mission Impossible II (Guilty pleasure, so ridiculous it is entertaining, does have some great scenes also)
    5. Mission Impossible III (Has some great scenes and a fantastic villain. The second half is dull however, and Abrams is not the best director. But a passable entry nevertheless)
    6. Mission Impossible Fallout (Dull and forgettable)
    7. Mission Impossible Rogue Nation (Even more dull and forgettable)
  • edited May 10 Posts: 647
    I did not have high hopes for DR, as Christopher McQuarrie basicly killed my enthusiasm for the franchise with the uninspired direction in Rogue Nation and Fallout, I was really puzzled that he of all directors would be the one that got offered the chance to direct more than one MI film. But he really proved me wrong this time, DR is by far his best effort yet and one of the best in the franchise. It brought back a lot of the humor, energy and style of GP. It is maybe a bit too long and lacks a satisfying conclusion, but it is one hell of a ride with excellent sequences and a colorful set of characters. My ranking of the films:

1. Mission Impossible (More of a thriller, which i prefer. Expertly directed by De Palma)
    2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Colorful, kinetic, peak of the action scenes of the franchise, basicly tied for the first spot)
    3. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1 (Return to form)
    4. Mission Impossible II (Guilty pleasure, so ridiculous it is entertaining, does have some great scenes also)
    5. Mission Impossible III (Has some great scenes and a fantastic villain. The second half is dull however, and Abrams is not the best director. But a passable entry nevertheless)
    6. Mission Impossible Fallout (Dull and forgettable)
    7. Mission Impossible Rogue Nation (Even more dull and forgettable)
    I believe you’re the first person that I’ve come across that calls Rogue Nation and Fallout dull and forgettable and the worst of the series. Seems like for most people (myself included) those 2 are the best in the series. I remember being extremely impressed with Ghost Protocol and thought wow the series really scored big with that one (after not being impressed with the previous 3 entries) but I thought it was a one-off and didn’t think they could duplicate that kind of magic. Imagine my surprise when Rogue Nation knocked my socks off and managed to surpass GP. Then imagine my shock again when Fallout managed to top even RN. So those 2 entries I think are the absolute tops in the series!

I was thrilled with Dead Reckoning too so I’m not knocking that one by any means. I feel like I need to watch it another time to really decide where it ranks. But it’s pretty high up there with Fallout and Rogue Nation.

Basically this series just doesn’t let up. Keeps getting better and better. I honestly don’t know another franchise that does this. Typically sequels don’t get better. There may be a fluke once in a while but you don’t get a string of sequels that are consistently better and better.
    Tom Cruise has spent time this week, base jumping in Loen.