Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    My #1 film, but only #6 in this category. One of the greats, nonetheless.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yes, a classic PTS. More than deserves this spot.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    My #9. The great thing about this PTS is that it has every possible ingredient a successful PTS could have (maybe apart from real tension). The stylish Connery and the final comment are highlights for me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Absolute class act this pts, can't say I can add more than what's already been said.

I once gave a presentation about the Bond films to my classmates back when I was 17 or so, and this was the scene I chose to represent the entire series.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    #3 for me. Nothing to add to all that's already been said. Iconic, immortal... it's pure gold.

Same here. I had it at #2. Iconic. Positively Iconic. ^:)^
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Absolute class act this pts, can't say I can add more than what's already been said.

I once gave a presentation about the Bond films to my classmates back when I was 17 or so, and this was the scene I chose to represent the entire series.

Funnily, I did exactly the same by using this scene for an english presentation ;)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GF is my number one pre title sequence. Sure, other pts have been more spectacular and exciting. But this was the first one to be a mini movie, before the film proper begins. Everything about this sequence works. The seagull rebreather, the nighttime mission with Bond dressed in black. Removing the wetsuit to reveal the white tuxedo underneath.
    Admiring Bonita, joining her in her dressing room, and ultimately discovering she's on the pay of the (unseen) villains of this scene. The fight with Capungo and his violent death. Even the dialogue is sharp and witty.
    It's the perfect pts in my opinion and is as near as faultless as I can see.

Funnily, I did exactly the same by using this scene for an english presentation ;)

Haha great stuff, mate!

Okay fellas, the top 3 will be revealed next year, so I'll see you then!

Happy New Year, everyone!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GF is probably the most iconic PTS of all isn't it? Just an all-time classic sequence of cinema, never mind relative to Bond films. I think I'd put it top of the tree.
    Okay, so, with TSWLM, GE and TLD left, here's what I'm hoping for:

3) TSWLM
    2) TLD
    1) GE
    I'll be very disappointed if GE wins.
    From the final 3 left, I hope....
    1) TLD
    2) TSWLM
    3) GE
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I'll be very disappointed if GE wins.
    From the final 3 left, I hope....
    1) TLD
    2) TSWLM
    3) GE

TLD is my number one as well! Let’s go Tim!
    Happy New Year everyone!

Our bronze medalist:

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (1977)
    featuring a yellow-red ski outfit, for blending in I suppose, and the 'Union Jack'.

Spy-Who-Loved-Me-lobby-card-13.jpg

A fan favourite, the pre-title ski chase of 'Spy' collected one gold, one silver and three bronze medals.

Three more members gave it 4th place, and one participant put it in 5th. Additionally, four more top 10's were counted.

Everyone ranked this one inside their top 20, with three 19th places as its lowest finish.

TSWLM was awarded 127 points in total.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Nice one, I'm actually making that ski pole rifle atm, so I'm totally in TSWLM PTS mode! The chase is so good - the music has a sense of danger to it; looks like fun to ski through the tunnel; Bogner outfit is iconic. I wonder how close the ski really got to hitting Rick Sylvester in the head. The stunt, I think, was the start of us seeing Union Jack-emblazoned items throughout the films, continuing with OP, NSNA, AVTAK, NTTD, no doubt others.

Nice bit of sub action at the beginning. Actually, the gun barrel leading into the sub footage is one of my favourite openings. The crewman who's playing chess - his arm looks like it's shaking the table rather than it being a real tremor!
  • edited January 8 Posts: 6,819
    TSWLM didn't make my top 10! The ski action is superb ( though OHMSS does it better!) and the jump gasp inducing, but the first half of this pts is quite dull. And it loses points for me on that, plus I know they put Bond in a bright yellow suit so he (or his stunt double!) could be seen clearly going off the cliff, but he does lose a lot of coolness by donning it! Its the only time the bad guys look cooler than him!! Agree the fade into the titles is terrific!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Exactly where it ranks for me.
    Like GF, TSWLM pts is a Bond classic. Known by Bond fans and general movie fans alike as the one where he ski's off a cliff and opens a Union flag parachute.
    It took me till the sad passing of Sir Roger Moore, till I could see this film on the big screen. It was still jaw droppingly awesome, even though I've seen it countless times.
    So, by my reckoning that leaves us TLD and GE left?
    It's a great PTS, mainly because of the awesome stunt work. Not quite as satisfying as some other PTS, though, at least not in my book. And given how structurally similar they are, I don't quite understand the enormous difference between where we (me as well) rank TSWLM and MR.

Only TLD and GE left. Interesting.
    This is one I rate highly too. It just gets everything set up and going nicely, and we get that wonderful stunt at the end.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #7 for me. It’s a classic for sure and used to be my number one for many, many years.
    But as years passed, my love for this PTS has dwindled a bit while my admiration for its ‘twin’ PTS, MR has only grown (now my 2nd favorite). The ski chase itself is nowhere as exciting as the ones featured in OHMSS but the ski jump/Union Jack finale alone warrants a top 10 spot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very close for me at #4. I think my jaw drops and I hold my breath every time Bond makes that cliff jump. It never fails to blow my mind. I even dig Hamlisch's music sprinkled throughout.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited January 9 Posts: 2,161
    Spot on, #3 for me! The visceral thrill felt in the theatre was only matched but STAR WARS.
    #3 is also its spot in my ranking.
    Great formula (same as in MR and a bit like YOLT but now with action and stunt in the last bit) which I would love to see again. The baddies do something evil, we don't know the details yet. M gets a call and asks Moneypenny for the location of 007. Cut to Bond who is kissing a lovely lady. He is interrupted and the action kicks in. Awesome stunt before the titles start.
    I love it. (The triple X scene makes it a bit long but it gets interesting when we realize that Bond kills her lover).

I have to add: The stunt: 20 seconds of silence before the parachute opens and it is exciting to watch everytime!
    Definitely an excellent pts, but much like the rest of TSWLM, while I have a great time with it, it doesn't seem to click with me as much as I wish it would.
  • GBFGBF
    What's Up?
    edited January 20 Posts: 6,788
    I will reveal the top 2 soon, I wanted to it earlier but I was ill and didn't quite have the energy to do so (or anything else for that matter). Hope to get to it on Monday.
    I will reveal the top 2 soon, I wanted to it earlier but I was ill and didn't quite have the energy to do so (or anything else for that matter). Hope to get to it on Monday.

Looking forward to it @GoldenGun Hope you're feeling better? And well done on the way this game was presented!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Sorry to hear that you're under the weather @GoldenGun. Take your time and get better soon.

PS: D-A-L-T-O-N .... D-A-L-T-O-N.
    While I love the GE PTS, I would also say that TLD deserves to be the winner. I would be very surprised if Brosnan takes the goldmedal despite having the name already in the title.
    I'm looking forward to the final results.
    Thanks for the kind words, fellas. Feeling much better now.

So it's about time to wrap this one up with the final two reveals.

In second place, we have our silver medalist:

GOLDENEYE (1995)
    featuring another 00.

GOLDENEYELC9.jpg.webp

Pierce's 007 introduction received one gold medal, seven silvers and a single bronze one.

It also ended up in two more top 5's and three more top 10's.

Everyone rated GE in their top 20, except for one member who gave it the 21st spot, making GE the highest-ranked entry with a bottom 5 finish.

Nevertheless, GE grabs the silver with a total of 138 points.
    __
    That makes our number one, and also our gold medalist:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS (1987)
    featuring two other 00's.

tumblr_mv64eu9UWh1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

Five gold medals were counted for Tim's first 007 scene, that's more than any other entry in this contest.

There was also one 2nd, four 4th and three 5th places. Additionally, three members rated it in the lower half of the top 10.

Does anyone dislike this pre-title sequence? Apparently not, only two members ranked it outside their top 10, but everyone included it in their top 15, with 15th being its lowest score, which happened only on one occasion.

With the biggest amount of first places and being the only entry that made it into everyone's top 15, making it also the entry with the highest 'worst' placement, it seems we have a worthy winner.

TLD obtained an impressive total of 146 points.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hearty applause to both winners, though of course I was hoping GE would pull out in front and take first place. As always, you're a legend for running these games, @GoldenGun. Appreciate it!