Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

I'm the one who placed it 24th. It's always been a bit too silly for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This came in at #13 for me but I do love it. Those aerial stunts are always great.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I have OP at #20. While there isn't anything wrong with this PTS, it doesn't get me as excited as the majority of these sequences. The aerial action doesn't stand out for me, the location is a bit forgettable. The woman is very attractive, though. I will never believe that she was only 18.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's good but I don't quite love it. I think the home counties-with-a-few-potted-palm-trees location doesn't really help!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,586
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah, it's good but I don't quite love it. I think the home counties-with-a-few-potted-palm-trees location doesn't really help!

Yeah. :-D That's like having the N-Korea scenes in DAD shot at Pinewood. ;-) Funny how they nevertheless got away with most of that in the series. (Yet, because they couldn't find a castle in Japan, they weren't going to adapt the novel YOLT? Lame, guys.)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    At number 007, we've got:

TOMORROW NEVER DIES (1997)
    featuring a backseat driver.

TOMORROWNEVERDIESFRLC4.jpg

Two Brosnan entries in the top 10 and this is the first one.

It received one gold medal, two silvers and one bronze medal. Additionally, it was also ranked 4th twice and it ended up in three more top 10's.

Only one bottom 5 for TND, which turned out to be a 21st place, also its lowest ranking.

TND ended up with a total of 115 points.
    Another one that wound up at #20 for me but, after this recent Bondathon, it could've gone much higher. It's got a cracking PTS that so subtly flirts with where the story is going but winds up largely unconcerned with Gupta after he disappears from the screen (until he properly enters again later on, anyway). Bond's got a great outfit here and is really under the gun to save the world from Chernobyl 2.0. Good stuff, and probably the action highlight of the film to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,017
    I love this one, I think it's a great bit of action design. Having to get some bombs out of the way of an incoming missile is a terrific concept and nicely original with some great tension, and then they even stick on a bit of fighter aircraft business on top of that, with a fantastic Bond-y punchline gag with the ejection seat. Loads of good gags and character work... I think it's one of the very best.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #20 for me.
    I'm the one who had it at 21. Doesn't do anything for me, a generic shooting/explosions effort with some lame Top Gun antics ( along with a Brossa painface!!) and a silly payoff!
    It's nice to see Geoffrey Palmer back with his sitcom buddy Judi Dench, and I like the final shot of the jet smashing the screen into the titles, but it's all very meh for an opener!
    OP was fun, this ain't!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I'm the one who had it at 21. Doesn't do anything for me, a generic shooting/explosions effort with some lame Top Gun antics ( along with a Brossa painface!!) and a silly payoff!
    It's nice to see Geoffrey Palmer back with his sitcom buddy Judi Dench, and I like the final shot of the jet smashing the screen into the titles, but it's all very meh for an opener!
    OP was fun, this ain't!
    My thoughts exactly.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,970
    It's a fun PTS. Very simple but effective premise - Bond needs to get the missiles out before the site is nuked. There's some great action, good quips, and it's one of those openings that gets you pumped for the film ahead.

My slight criticisms would be that some of the edits when the action starts feel a bit too choppy (Bond seems to hop on a truck that comes out of nowhere, and one or two of the edits start a bit too far into Bond doing a roll or whatever, but it's a very minor criticism and it helps that it's a fast paced action scene so it's very much a nit pick). I can understand the criticism that Gupta and the decoding device get a bit lost in the chaos too when they should be a bit more important to the story. Still though, I'm a fan of this one.
    #16, decent enough.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited November 2023 Posts: 4,400
    #13 in my ranking. There is a good tension there. I like the scenes with M and the aerial action. The music is also a plus for me and the fact that the ship is seen again after the titles.
    However, the action is a bit too generic. A lot of shooting and explosions without something to stand out.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2023 Posts: 3,393
    I'm going say that it's my #1, yes, my number 1 PTS, for me, it's the definitive Bond PTS, complete with the action, Bond doing spying, Cold War touches, and just showing a man doing his deadly job, it's just complete.

Some PTS were mocked, but not this one, it's a pretty serious scene, had DAD didn't involved hovercrafts, it may have been great.

It's a PTS where I'm not asking for more because that PTS gave it all what makes Bond, not in a self parody way, and very satisfying.

It's a perfect Bond PTS for me.
    When people expect a Bond film, this is the PTS that offers it, this PTS already described what a Bond film looked like.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Seriously good PTS. One of the best. Top 3 for me. It's just a pity we didn't see Bond unfold that rifle.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Number 12, but could be higher. I enjoy it immensely (and think the first half of this film is a top flight Bond film).
    peter wrote: »
    Number 12, but could be higher.

That is the problem, they are pretty much all good. It was surprising how many that I thoroughly enjoy ended up with mediocre to poor placements.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »

That is the problem, they are pretty much all good. It was surprising how many that I thoroughly enjoy ended up with mediocre to poor placements.

Agreed!! I always feel like putting some kind of disclaimer about my true enjoyment of the PTS vs a mediocre ranking!!

As fans, it's a fine problemmto have , though!l

That's a good point. I've noticed even some that are 20 and above (such as TND) are actually great. There are simply too many great ones that even the very good options will end up "ranking" low.
    Now that we're down to the cream, I'm guessing that MR (maybe OHMSS) will come next. I really don't see the Top Four being anything but TSWLM, TLD, GE and CR in some order.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Now that we're down to the cream, I'm guessing that MR (maybe OHMSS) will come next. I really don't see the Top Four being anything but TSWLM, TLD, GE and CR in some order.

What about GF?
    TSWLM, TLD and GE should be in the top four. I'd have to go with OHMSS next, and coming in at 6th is already too high for it.
    I had TND in 9th spot. A great pts with all the right elements of an exciting pre titles, executed nicely.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Expecting GF to be in top 3 or at least top 5.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,161
    GF is my #1 film, but I hadn't thought of the PTS as being that popular. I guess it did more or less set the template.
    I’ll tell you where it ranks for me at the conclusion for the game.
    Apart from OHMSS, the top four are almost exactly intact for me.
    MR is already out of the race 😉
    Yes, I forgot.
    My Top Four are intact. It would be six if SF didn't get knocked out surprisingly early.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I'm expecting GF to be next, then OHMSS.
    I’m hoping OHMSS is next. It’s the least deserving of those remaining.
    GF, Spy, TLD or GE could all take out the Gold medal.