Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I didn't expect LTK to end in the top 10.
    I like the story of it and also the end with the wedding is totally fine for me.
    All mentioned positive points make sense to me. It is indeed very good, in establishing the story and introducing so many characters without feeling forced. We get Bond, Leiter and his wife, one of the main Bondgirls, one of the important henchman (Dario), Sharky, and the main villain.
    However, I still miss something. There isn't "the" big highlight for me. Everything is good no doubt), but nothing is wow...my main issue is probably the hooking stunt which isn't as exciting as the best of the best.

Time for OP...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Our number 9, ladies and gentlemen:

MOONRAKER (1979)
    featuring a femme fatale disappearing into thin air. And also Jaws.

pdf_4f68cfb0-2b19-012e-9494-0050569439b1.jpg

One silver medal and three bronze ones for MR, making it the highest-ranked entry that did not top anyone's list.

Still a strong showing of course, with six more members ranking it between 5th and 10th.

Just one member ranked it outside the top 20. Only by a hair though, it was a 21st place.

MR obtained a total of 114 points.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Intriguing opening (with lovely music); simple, yet incredibly exciting and truly iconic stunt, beautifully shot - pretty much perfect.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    The suspension of disbelief is strong in this one, but for me the plane sequence is worth the silver medal all by itself. It’s breathtaking.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    11th for me. I really enjoy it. It's simple and well executed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a completely nonsensical yet very entertaining PTS. One of the best PTS from a technical POV.
    I was the one that marked it low. It’s a technically excellent stunt but it’s simply personal preference. I don’t find it all that interesting as a way of starting the story. Still though, it’s pretty impressive.
    6th in my ranking. Definitely top 10 material. A bit tension in the beginning. A funny moment with M and Moneypenny, a beautiful woman, a surprising fall out of the window with Jaws' smile and then the best part follows: great stunt work. And of course: also a very good score.
    The last gag could be removed but I'm sure my kids will giggle when they are old enough to watch Jaws reaction in a few years.
    Overall, very good.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 6,839
    # 8 for me. An excellent pts. As was said the plane sequence itself is superb, but the freefall stunts are thrilling, despite the obvious doubles ( Paul Weston for Jaws with an orange skin segment covered in tinfoil 😅)
    The part where Bond puts his hands by his side and chases the bad guy with the parachute, with the Bond theme blaring is one of THE great Bondian moments!
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,161
    I had it at number seven. It’s hard to describe the intensity and excitement upon seeing this segment in the theater back in 1979. Along with the opening to TSWLM, I have rarely seen an audience that united in experiencing an action scene. CGI has definitely taken away that sense of wonder we used to feel. “How the hell did they do that?”
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't have as much love for the PTS as others, it came in at #15 for me, but MR as a whole has really shot up in my rankings in the past few years overall. It's such a blast.

@Birdleson, I couldn't agree more with that last sentence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2023 Posts: 15,016
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    # 8 for me. An excellent pts. As was said the plane sequence itself is superb, but the feefall stunts are thrilling, despite the obvious doubles ( Paul Weston for Jaws with an orange skin segment covered in tinfoil 😅)
    The part where Bond puts his hands by his side and chases the bad guy with the parachute, with the Bond theme blaring is one of THE great Bondian moments!

Yes, I love that bit! Amazingly the Chris Wood novelisation has Bond, erm, flapping his arms at that point...
    I don't think Paul Weston was a skydiver though, was he? This stuff was all done by the young American skydiving team: BJ Worth, Jake Lombard and those guys.
    Gorgeous John Barry score for this, especially the hijack part.
    mtm wrote: »
    # 8 for me. An excellent pts. As was said the plane sequence itself is superb, but the feefall stunts are thrilling, despite the obvious doubles ( Paul Weston for Jaws with an orange skin segment covered in tinfoil 😅)

Yes, I love that bit! Amazingly the Chris Wood novelisation has Bond, erm, flapping his arms at that point...
    I don't think Paul Weston was a skydiver though, was he? This stuff was all done by the young American skydiving team: BJ Worth, Jake Lombard and those guys.

You could be right about Weston, I think he may have doubled him in some other scenes!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    vzok wrote: »
    Gorgeous John Barry score for this, especially the hijack part.

One of his best scores of the series, in my opinion. It elevates everything on screen.
    I’d be quite surprised if the top 3 doesn’t end up looking something like this:
    1. TSWLM
    2. CR
    3. GE

None of which made my top 3 with only one included in my top 10.
    Great PTS really, I wish I could / would have placed it higher. One of the best stunts ever put to film.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    1. TSWLM
    2. CR
    3. GE

I only rate CR out of that list. I will be very surprised if TLD doesn't make top 3!
    1. TSWLM
    2. CR
    3. GE

I would bet it is TSWLM, since you never warmed that much to Brosnan and Craig? I love all three. But I don't share the love for the OP PTS, which is still in the game.
    1. TSWLM
    2. CR
    3. GE

I would bet it is TSWLM, since you never warmed that much to Brosnan and Craig? I love all three. But I don't share the love for the OP PTS, which is still in the game.
    It is indeed TSWLM. But not being a fan of either Brosnan or Craig doesn’t affect my rankings. I did place NTTD 9th because I genuinely think it’s an excellent sequence. So is SP. But the Brosnan era PTS I just find to be not very interesting, with the exception of DAD.
    1. TSWLM
    2. CR
    3. GE

I only rate CR out of that list. I will be very surprised if TLD doesn't make top 3!
    Although I ranked TLD just outside the top 3, it is indeed a fabulous PTS and I’d have no qualms about it being crowned #1.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2023 Posts: 3,393
    #3 for me, well speaking here as a fan of Moonraker, I simply liked the skydiving stunt, way ahead of its time.
    I've enjoyed a lot out of it, while my ranking of it may be different now, I still enjoy this PTS so much.
    But I prefer the rest of the film's scenes after this.
    Top #3 for me, with the other two being from Brosnan's 😅.
    Well, don't you worry anymore @goldenswissroyale, because next up, finishing 8th, we have:

OCTOPUSSY (1983)
    featuring a none-mentioned, fictitious, very Cuban-like, Latin American regime, bordering the USA by land... Can't find it on any map I'm afraid.

tumblr_ngeyb5hXcv1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

As it turns out, OP seems to be one member's favourite entry here. It is also another one's third favourite, and it additionally collected three 4th places and one 5th one. Two more top 10's were noted as well.

At the other end of the scenery, there were two bottom 5's given to our Acrostar minijet adventure. One of those was a penultimate place, making OP the highest-ranked entry with such a dubious honour.

Nevertheless, OP collected a respectable total of 114 points. Edging out MR's same amount by virtue of more gold medals.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love this PTS, I won't lie about it. It's a silly little adventure that has nothing to do with the rest of the film, but Moore is a delight, Barry (as usual) sets the right tone, the jokes work for me, and that little jet is awesome! My favourite part is when Barry plays his victory music, and then suddenly turns very menacing when the jet runs out of gas, only to end up with some very playful tunes as Bond arrives at the gas station. I absolutely love it!! Such good fun.
    I had it at 3! OP is a wonderful Bond movie, and part of it is due to the pts! So well put together, it is gloriously entertaining! The Bede jet is one of the coolest of Bonds vehicles! And the action is tremendous ( love that explosion of the hangar!) and it doesn't end with a silly joke, though I would like to have seen the original storyboarded finale they had in mind!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great fun, and an impressive set with the hangar 'miniature' feeling the heat.

Lots of little details of note: first up is a truck nearly running over chickens, something which I think wouldn't 'fly' today. Some forced perspective trickery - I mean, I didn't know Tina Hudson was so young there. As the soldiers scramble to close the hangar doors, a different plane approaches. Or has the Bede jet sneakily transformed into Battle mode?

I'd like to see more fictional countries in future films, they can take the place of the Russians and the Chinese etc.; plus I love that element of something unique to Bond's world.
    Personally, I quite like this PTS as well, just missed out on my top 10, finishing 11th.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love it. It's my number 10.
    I have this fine PTS at #12
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    My number 5
    Yes, it wasn't me who ranked it first.