Quick Big Mi6 Pre-title sequence ranking game

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    1. TLD
    2. TSWLM
    3. GE
    4. GF
    5. OHMSS

Something like that, although I can also see OHMSS getting a top 3 spot considering how some of you chaps put this film on such an unusually high pedestal compared to other very good entries.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I would also guess that OHMSS is next. The other four are more "special" and more often mentioned around here when it comes to PTS (I believe)
    I'm pretty sure that TLD wins. The rest is very difficult to guess.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If it was my choice, it would go with the following,

5. OHMSS far too high imo
    4. TLD
    3. TSWLM
    2. GE
    1. GF.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    My prediction:
    1. TSWLM
    2. TLD
    3. GF
    4. GE
    5. OHMSS

My wish:
    1. OHMSS
    2. GF
    3. TLD
    4. TSWLM
    5. GE
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Hi guys, regretfully I am experiencing some issues with my phone and I am unable to access my file with the results. I know the top 5 by heart, but revealing them so unceremoniously would take away the fun. Let’s hang on a few days while I try to recover them.

In the meantime, why don’t you try and predict how the top 5 will turn out ;)

The remaining entries, in chronological order, are GF, OHMSS, TSWLM, TLD and GE.

Hey @GoldenGun, any luck with your phone?
    Cant wait to see the final 5!! 🤔
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Hi guys, regretfully I am experiencing some issues with my phone and I am unable to access my file with the results. I know the top 5 by heart, but revealing them so unceremoniously would take away the fun. Let’s hang on a few days while I try to recover them.

In the meantime, why don’t you try and predict how the top 5 will turn out ;)

The remaining entries, in chronological order, are GF, OHMSS, TSWLM, TLD and GE.

Hey @GoldenGun, any luck with your phone?
    Cant wait to see the final 5!! 🤔

Just sent it back for repairs. Hopefully that will get the trick done. If not, I’ll still reveal them of course. We’ll get it done by the end of the year, promised ;)

Okay folks, after Christmas (the holiday, not the scientist) we can continue with the top 5. Stay tuned and thanks for your patience :)
    Looking forward to it @GoldenGun
    Far up! Far out! Far more! We're back as we dive straight into the top 5, starting with our number 5:

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969)
    featuring something that never happened to another fella.

on+her+majesty%27s+secret+service+jeu+B+france+lobby+card+james+bond+007.jpg

The usual high ranking for Lazenby's single entry, with one gold medal and two silvers as its best ratings.

There were also three 5th places and another six placements in the latter half of the top 10.

Everyone ranked this one in their top 20, with one 20th spot being its lowest finish.

OHMSS obtained 122 points.
    #5 is exactly where it landed in my ranking, too.
    The editing makes the fight to a very intense experience. And there are some beautiful shots in there.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    #8 for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Superbly edited sequence with a hauntingly beautiful color palette and epic score. This is one of the very best for me.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I placed it in 20th place.
    Sure it gets the story started, with Bond saving Tracy. But aside from a beach fight it's all fairly basic stuff. Never been a fan of the 'gag' line before the titles roll either.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,020
    Gold medal for me. It’s hardly the most exciting PTS in terms of action…. hell, it’s the only one in the series where not a single character dies! But it is unmatched when it comes to cinematography, music and overall atmosphere.
    The wide shot of Bond coming out of the ocean carrying Tracy might be my favorite shot in the whole series… it’s simply gorgeous, especially accompanied by Barry’s luscious strings.
    The beach fight is fast and furious and I absolutely love Bond’s introduction as well as the ‘controversial’ final quip.
    Whether it was intentional on Hunt’s part, I have no idea, but this Vertigo homage ticks all the right buttons for me.

#5 is exactly where I placed it. Though I could have placed it even higher. Love how the new Bond is teased with the close up shots and agree with @R1s1ngs0n , that is a superb shot, overall it has a hauntingly beautiful look, and Barrys score supports superbly. It was Hunts idea to stage part of the fight in the water, which greatly adds to the excitement! My only quibble is Georges reading of the famous line, ( was it shot in studio?), and the line to camera, which was unnecessary! Apart from that, a terrific opener to a sublime movie!
    Couldn't agree more with the praise here. Love how the new Bond is slowly revealed, love the music, the editing and the cinematography too. Superb fight too. One of my favourites.
    Slight confession here, this isn't one of my favourite PTS's. I'd actually go as far to say that it's the least effective way the series has ever introduced a new Bond.

Not to say it's bad at all. The cinematography and fight choreography are generally very good. From a script perspective it does an effective job of adapting the events of the novel.

That said, it's never been a PTS that's flowed particularly well from my viewings. The opening with Q banging on about radioactive lint always felt a bit random to me (I understand it's basically a segway to M saying 'where's Bond?', and yes, it's generally better from a script perspective to start as late in a scene as possible, but it feels like they're setting up the radioactive lint to be important when it's an inconsequential detail, and it comes off as if M is randomly asking where Bond is as it seems weirdly unrelated to what Q is talking about, as if he's suddenly grown bored of what Q is saying... one would have thought this brief dialogue exchange would instead have focused a bit more on the search for Blofeld or something a bit more relevant to the story). The subsequent cut to the Aston has always felt too abrupt in this sense.

Lazenby's introduction as Bond has never sat right with me either. Again, it's strong cinematography-wise with his face in the shadows and the shots of his hands, however because the PTS is relatively low key and the fight sequences come later it never feels like Lazenby's Bond has truly been 'built up' before saying the iconic line. The series would later refine how new Bonds are introduced, and I think it's in large part due to this PTS.

Also that final line... it's not good. Never has been. At worst it probably hammered home for audiences at the time that they weren't watching 'the original Bond'.

Bond introductions need to make viewers forget about the previous Bond. The new actor needs to be allowed to make their mark before they can be accepted as the character. GE, TLD and CR are much stronger openings for these reasons in my eyes.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 4,398
    My favourite shot is the moment where we see the ancor right in front of us while the fight happens in the background.
    One could nitpick that the beauty of the single shots seems way more important than the continuity: the weather/clouds and waves change from shot to shot...but it is way too beautiful to be bothered ;)

I'm sure that my question was discussed many times in other threads: but what is the best explanation for the fact that the Union Corse guys want to kill Bond? Because he touched Tracy?
    Love the atmosphere. Bond not on an official mission here. Anchor shot is great. Beach action is always welcome, let's see more of that.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    11th for me. Nice action, well shot, but none of it makes very much sense.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    #3 for me. Almost as perfect as a PTS in this series gets, from its great action and darkly visual appeal to this "new" intro to Bond and more. It's incredible.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My number six... just hanging outside of my top five because it's very good and effective, but not quite elite in my book. Points taken off for a weak Bond, James Bond introduction, the clumsy way Lazenby is shaking Tracy's shoulder, and the fourth wall break....
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Yes, his "Bond, James Bond" lost him a spot or tow on mine.
    Our number 4, ladies and gentlemen:

GOLDFINGER (1964)
    featuring Bonita's magical eye reflection.
    goldfinger-original-lobby-card-n04-9x12-in-1964-guy-hamilton-sean-connery.jpg
    The highest ranked entry from the Connery era, GF grabbed two gold medals, one silver and two bronzes.

There was also one 5th place, in addition to five other participants who ranked it in the lower half of the top 10.

Everyone rated GF in their top 20 and only four members placed it outside the top 15, with one 17th spot being its lowest placement.

GF managed to collect a total of 124 points.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Third for me. My favourite as a child. Great music. Connery looking like a weapon. And that kick to the guard…. It’s only been pushed out of my number one, begrudgingly, and only relatively recently… Short, sweet and incredibly cool.
    Sixth for me! Its the one that really started it all, and is so polished and excitingly Bond! Great that they took it from the novel too ( in a way!)
    Connery is the epitome of cool, pulling off the wet suit to reveal a tuxedo, and placing the flower in his lapel! The fight scene is a little sloppy, could have been more brutal, but the payoff is sublime, and the door slamming into Bassey/Barry theme is the icing on the cake!
    On point - I think, number one - the carat mass is high here. It ticks off (or creates) a lot of great Bondian moments early on, like the night-time sneaky mission, Bond throwing away Q equipment, revealing clothes beneath clothes, enemy seen in a reflection, classic henchman fight finale, posthumous one-liners etc. The flow of action is very left-to-right, and setting beside the Ramirez docks a little mysterious.

I'm in gadget heaven here, thanks to the novel seagull snorkel and grappling gun with magical fishing line that becomes thick rope upon firing. Here, Connery executes one of a couple of tricky foot steps when hopping over the guards body. Love the black outfit and mini backpack, which would be seen again when snooping around Auric's factory and in the FRWL video game.

The classiness steps up when Bond reveals the white tux with carnation, and some nice Latin music introduces a dancing Bonita. GF shows us a PTS can be engaging and remain iconic without needing to be action-packed, like the also-great TND opening. 10/10

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52668394213_021bd11877_o.png
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    #10 for me. It's great, it's simply another category where there are so many great PTS choices that some inevitably drop in ranking. I do agree that the fight scene is a bit sloppy but that whole PTS is very iconic still.
    Bond kept going for Capungo's leg, presumably to sniff the shoe? 😅 The forced throw into the bath was pretty realistic though imo. Did Alf Joint get burnt by the special-effects? I know Harold Sakata got burnt on the steel bars, but I thought I read something about Alf getting injured too.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,020
    #3 for me. Nothing to add to all that's already been said. Iconic, immortal... it's pure gold.