Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• Loving a pet is fine. Nothing wrong with that. As long as people understand that pet life and human life are not on the same level. That’s why I brought up the scenario of choosing between saving a human life or an animal. I would certainly hope people would choose human life in such a scenario. Otherwise we’re in serious trouble. There is a difference between the two.
    Loving a pet is fine. Nothing wrong with that. As long as people understand that pet life and human life are not on the same level. That’s why I brought up the scenario of choosing between saving a human life or an animal. I would certainly hope people would choose human life in such a scenario. Otherwise we’re in serious trouble. There is a difference between the two.

I would choose good humans over good animals. But bad humans? I’d certainly argue the worst pets don’t even come close in how much damage the two can do. So the answer depends.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,530
    Loving a pet is fine. Nothing wrong with that. As long as people understand that pet life and human life are not on the same level. That’s why I brought up the scenario of choosing between saving a human life or an animal. I would certainly hope people would choose human life in such a scenario. Otherwise we’re in serious trouble. There is a difference between the two.

But that's not the point, nor was it when @Dragonpol made his post @ringfire211 ... I don't think anyone on this site needs to be reminded of the difference between human and animal life... But if one is lucky to have a pet, a pet that gives them unconditional love and comfort every single day, then yes, when they pass it can be devastating. You've lost a member of the family.

I mean, look no further when police dogs are put to rest. Look at the outpouring of grief. Animals are a beautiful part of our life, and when one is taken into a home, they become a loved member.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,395
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    That is sad news, on the passing of Terry Venables.
    RIP
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Benny wrote: »
    RIP

1996 one of my best years of my life, that was a great summer.
    RIP

Yep, I'd have to agree with you on that one. Cheering on England with beer in hand, enjoying the warm summer nights.
    RIP

Yep, I'd have to agree with you on that one. Cheering on England with beer in hand, enjoying the warm summer nights.

Some of England's best football in the modern era, all the players loved Terry.
    Gazza's goal against Scotland the Netherlands demolition... Gazza so close to scoring against Germany, etched in memory. Thank you Terry.,
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 11
    Chris Webb (1937 - 2023)
    RIP Chris Webb.
    A very long and distinguished career in film stunt work. Including 10 Bond films.
    YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, LALD, TSWLM, FYEO, OP, AVTAK, TLD and TND.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RIP Chris! He was involved in some of my favorite stunts and fights throughout the series. Legendary work.
    R.I.P. Shane Macgowan, 65.

The Pogues - Fairytale Of New York
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Love Fairytale of New York, but I think it is the only Pogues song I ever heard. I have it on a Kirsty McColl "Best of" compilation. Kirsty sadly passed aways 23 years before Shane (on Dec. 18, to be exact) when getting run over by a motor yacht off Cozumel (Mexico) while swimming with her son in the Caribbean Sea.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 5,815
    Just heard of the passing of actress Frances Sternhagen, aged 93. Quite a respectable career, including a movie with Sean Connery, Outland :

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/frances-sternhagen-dead-cheers-er-1235813149/

screen-shot-2013-01-11-at-11-36-55-am1.jpg
    also SexandCity , Communion-with-Chris Walkn
    Denny Laine, former member of The Moody Blues, and Wings has sadly passed away aged 79.

RIP.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 12,271
    RIP. Barry Lyndon is an all-time favorite for me, and I really can’t imagine anyone else doing the role. Haven’t seen him in much else except Paper Moon. But he is forever movie history now!
    Dwayne wrote: »

Oh gosh. I love Barry Lyndon. He was so great in it.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 6,741
    Yes, he was!

This reminds me that I need to watch Tough Guys Don't Dance. That looks great, just completely nuts in a good way. And no, I'm not joking. I never joke in my posts.
    R. I. P. Ryan O'Neal
    thedriver18.jpg?w=1272
    R.I.P. Ryan O'Neal
    'The Driver' is one of my favourite films, he was also great in 'Paper Moon' with his daughter Tatum! And the hilarious 'What's Up Doc?' is another great one!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I also remember having seen him over forty years ago in Andrew Bergman's 1981 film So Fine, a comedy about a college professor who happens to invent jeans that have see-through plastic "windows" over the buttocks. Don't really remember more details, an n,ever ran across it again. I remember it as funny but nowhere near, say, What's Up, Doc?. (So Fine still has one thing that sets it apart, which is a Morricone score.)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I also remember having seen him over forty years ago in Andrew Bergman's 1981 film So Fine, a comedy about a college professor who happens to invent jeans that have see-through plastic "windows" over the buttocks. Don't really remember more details, an n,ever ran across it again. I remember it as funny but nowhere near, say, What's Up, Doc?. (So Fine still has one thing that sets it apart, which is a Morricone score.)

Richard Kiel is in So Fine with O'Neal. He does blackface in it, unfortunately, but otherwise it seems like harmless fun.

MV5BYmQ2NDE2ZDctMjRlOC00NThjLWJkNmMtOTIxZWFjMjVhZjA5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

O'Neal's IMDB also shows him appearing as himself in a TV doc "James Bond: The First 21 Years," has anyone seen it by chance?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401537/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_39
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    If Isabelle Adjani's in a film, I've got no memory of whoever else is in it...sorry, Ryan.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 13,043
    LucknFate wrote: »
    O'Neal's IMDB also shows him appearing as himself in a TV doc "James Bond: The First 21 Years," has anyone seen it by chance?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401537/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_39

I just re-watched it, there's a slew of celebrities and world figures commenting on and complimenting Bond for the 21st Anniversary and to share slivers of Octopussy.
    Rest of cast listed alphabetically:
    Muhammad Ali Muhammad Ali ... Self
    Ursula Andress Ursula Andress ... Self
    Richard Attenborough Richard Attenborough ... Self
    The Beatles The Beatles ... Themselves (archive footage)
    Kabir Bedi Kabir Bedi ... Gobinda (archive footage)
    Björn Borg Björn Borg ... Self
    Ernest Borgnine Ernest Borgnine ... Self
    Glen Campbell Glen Campbell ... Self
    Fidel Castro Fidel Castro ... Self (archive footage)
    Bobby Charlton Bobby Charlton ... Self
    Tsai Chin Tsai Chin ... Ling (archive footage)
    William Colby William Colby ... Self - Director of the CIA 1973-1976
    Joan Collins Joan Collins ... Self
    Alistair Cooke Alistair Cooke ... Self
    Henry Cooper Henry Cooper ... Self
    James Cossins James Cossins ... Colthorpe (archive footage)
    Anthony Dawson Anthony Dawson ... Prof. R. J. Dent (archive footage)
    Kirk Douglas Kirk Douglas ... Self
    Britt Ekland Britt Ekland ... Self
    Farrah Fawcett Farrah Fawcett ... Self
    Henry Ford II Henry Ford II ... Self
    David Frost David Frost ... Self
    James Garner James Garner ... Self
    Eunice Gayson Eunice Gayson ... Sylvia Trench (archive footage)
    Bruce Glover Bruce Glover ... Mr. Wint (archive footage)
    Michael Goodliffe Michael Goodliffe ... Bill Tanner (archive footage)
    Alexander Haig Alexander Haig ... Self (as Gen. Alexander Haig)
    John Hodge John Hodge ... Self - NASA Director
    John Hollis John Hollis ... Ernst Stavro Blofeld (archive footage)
    Bob Hope Bob Hope ... Self
    R.J. Husk R.J. Husk ... Self - Captain Royal Navy (as Captain R.J. Husk R.N.)
    Tony Jacklin Tony Jacklin ... Self
    Louis Jourdan Louis Jourdan ... Kamal Khan (archive footage)
    Curd Jürgens Curd Jürgens ... Karl Stromberg (archive footage)
    Howard Keel Howard Keel ... Self
    Geoffrey Keen Geoffrey Keen ... Minister of Defense (archive footage)
    Gene Kelly Gene Kelly ... Self
    Burt Lancaster Burt Lancaster ... Self
    Bernard Lee Bernard Lee ... M (archive footage)
    Liberace Liberace ... Self
    Patrick Lichfield Patrick Lichfield ... Self (as Lord Lichfield)
    Hal Linden Hal Linden ... Self
    Desmond Llewelyn Desmond Llewelyn ... Q (archive footage)
    Ali MacGraw Ali MacGraw ... Self
    Peter Marsh Peter Marsh ... Self - Lecturer in Psychology
    Dean Martin Dean Martin ... Self
    Paul McCartney Paul McCartney ... Self
    Stirling Moss Stirling Moss ... Self
    Mickey Munn Mickey Munn ... Self - Captain - Parachute Regiment
    Richard Nixon Richard Nixon ... Self (archive footage)
    Denis Norden Denis Norden ... Self
    Ryan O'Neal Ryan O'Neal ... Self
    Al Pacino Al Pacino ... Self
    Arnold Palmer Arnold Palmer ... Self
    Gregory Peck Gregory Peck ... Self
    Mark Phillips Mark Phillips ... Self - Captain (as Capt. Mark Phillips)
    Stefanie Powers Stefanie Powers ... Self
    Ronald Reagan Ronald Reagan ... Self
    Christopher Reeve Christopher Reeve ... Self
    Milton Reid Milton Reid ... Sandor (archive footage)
    Burt Reynolds Burt Reynolds ... Self
    Harold Sakata Harold Sakata ... Oddjob (archive footage)
    Peter Sarstedt Peter Sarstedt ... Self
    Arnold Schwarzenegger Arnold Schwarzenegger ... Self
    Tom Selleck Tom Selleck ... Self
    Barry Sheene Barry Sheene ... Self
    Bob Simmons Bob Simmons ... Col. Jacques Bouvar (archive footage)
    Frank Sinatra Frank Sinatra ... Self
    Jill St. John Jill St. John ... Self
    Rod Steiger Rod Steiger ... Self
    Jackie Stewart Jackie Stewart ... Self
    James Stewart James Stewart ... Self
    Jimmy Tarbuck Jimmy Tarbuck ... Self
    John Travolta John Travolta ... Self
    Fred Trueman Fred Trueman ... Self
    Robert Wagner Robert Wagner ... Self
    Kristina Wayborn Kristina Wayborn ... Magda (archive footage)
    Harold Wilson Harold Wilson ... Self (archive footage)
    Shelley Winters Shelley Winters ... Self
    Barbara Woodhouse Barbara Woodhouse ... Self
    Robert Rietty Robert Rietty ... Ernst Stavro Blofeld (voice) (archive footage) (uncredited)
    Mary Stavin Mary Stavin ... Woman on Octopussy's Bed (uncredited)

Didn't notice Mr. O'Neal, I wonder if he and some others shot a short clip and it wasn't used/included.

James Bond - The First 21 Years (27/5/1983) (47:30)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQaUJrGXn8E&pp=ygUeSmFtZXMgQm9uZDogVGhlIEZpcnN0IDIxIFllYXJz
    Venutius wrote: »
    If Isabelle Adjani's in a film, I've got no memory of whoever else is in it...sorry, Ryan.

Very understandable! Her role in 'The Driver' is quite small, but she still is alluring! I remember seeing Luc Bessons debut film 'Subway' and all I could remember from the film is Isabelle!!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Very understandable! Her role in 'The Driver' is quite small, but she still is alluring! I remember seeing Luc Bessons debut film 'Subway' and all I could remember from the film is Isabelle!!

That film, like so many of Besson’s work, has a superb Éric Serra score as well ;) Anyways I love that film, one of my favourite Besson pictures.

Concerning Ryan O’Neill, afraid I haven’t seen him in much else than Barry Lyndon, but he did make a lasting impression just with that part alone. RIP Mr O’Neill.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 6,822
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

That film, like so many of Besson’s work, has a superb Éric Serra score as well ;) Anyways I love that film, one of my favourite Besson pictures.

Concerning Ryan O’Neill, afraid I haven’t seen him in much else than Barry Lyndon, but he did make a lasting impression just with that part alone. RIP Mr O’Neill.

You should check out 'Paper Moon', its a lovely film, and you have to see 'The Driver', cracking thriller, and 'What's Up Doc?' is hilarious, a throwback to the screwball comedies, and has a brilliant chase finale!
    Am not a huge fan of 'Barry Lyndon' its well made as you would expect from Kubrick, but O' Neals dodgy Oirish accent grates a bit!