Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I’m playing The Callisto Protocol as it is free on PS+.

Textbook definition of a 6/10 game. Graphically very nice and overall production value is high, but gameplay is both frustrating and derivative.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Agatha Christie: Murder On The Orient Express (2023)
    Not to be confused with the PC game from 20 years ago. This is the new Poirot game from Microids (their 4th Poirot game, and the second to be an adaption of one of the Christie stories), a modern day adaption of the story. I have only played around 20 minutes, so don't have much to say other than I like the visual style.

Cool, I love French video games, especially adventure and puzzle games. Years ago, I played a game called Safecracker, by Daydream Software, which was a Swedish company. That game was from 1997, and nine years later, it received a spiritual sequel, also titled Safecracker, which was developed by Kheops Studio. That was a French company that also made some other really cool adventure games, like Return to Mysterious Island, Voyage: Inspired by Jules Verne, The Secrets of Da Vinci: The Forbidden Manuscript and Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Not to be confused with the PC game from 20 years ago. This is the new Poirot game from Microids (their 4th Poirot game, and the second to be an adaption of one of the Christie stories), a modern day adaption of the story. I have only played around 20 minutes, so don't have much to say other than I like the visual style.

Cool, I love French video games, especially adventure and puzzle games. Years ago, I played a game called Safecracker, by Daydream Software, which was a Swedish company. That game was from 1997, and nine years later, it received a spiritual sequel, also titled Safecracker, which was developed by Kheops Studio. That was a French company that also made some other really cool adventure games, like Return to Mysterious Island, Voyage: Inspired by Jules Verne, The Secrets of Da Vinci: The Forbidden Manuscript and Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon.

If you don't mind no commentary videos, you can get a taste for it here...

I played one of the Dracula games on the PS1, but I don't remember much about it, other than it being a point and click horror game.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 6,733

I played one of the Dracula games on the PS1, but I don't remember much about it, other than it being a point and click horror game.

Thank you, will watch.

You must've played one of the first two Draculas. I like them a lot, they've got a really cool atmosphere, but despite their serious look, the world they're set in has a comic book sensibility, and the puzzles follow suit. There's a robotic guard in one room of the second game-- that should tell you enough. But I enjoy them. Dracula looks great, and Harker looks like Keanu Reeves (and in the version with English voices, he even sounds like him). Dracula 3 was made by a different company and is much more serious in its sensibilities. It's also a better game than its predecessors. The plot is better; it's a religious detective story, so to speak, set in post-WW1 Romania IIRC. The puzzles are more difficult. There's a great sequence where you have to extract blood from yourself and perform a blood test. Cool stuff.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2023 Posts: 13,894

Thank you, will watch.

You must've played one of the first two Draculas. I like them a lot, they've got a really cool atmosphere, but despite their serious look, the world they're set in has a comic book sensibility, and the puzzles follow suit. There's a robotic guard in one room of the second game-- that should tell you enough. But I enjoy them. Dracula looks great, and Harker looks like Keanu Reeves (and in the version with English voices, he even sounds like him). Dracula 3 was made by a different company and is much more serious in its sensibilities. It's also a better game than its predecessors. The plot is better; it's a religious detective story, so to speak, set in post-WW1 Romania IIRC. The puzzles are more difficult. There's a great sequence where you have to extract blood from yourself and perform a blood test. Cool stuff.

I've looked up gameplay on YouTube, and it was Dracula: Resurrection that I played. I remember something about a slintshot, and an NPC blocking a bridge. That's all.

My PS2 is still working fine, so I have a console to run it on. I might try and pick up a copy. I made the mistake of shaving down my PS1 collection during the PS2 era, and I regret it now.

Is this similar to la noire where you spend the time figuring out the killer

Risico007 wrote: »

Is this similar to la noire where you spend the time figuring out the killer

I don't know if it will be in the same way as LA Noire. I am still early on, so I don't know if this version will have a new twist to the reveal.

Catching that man in a lie looks like fun.

Catching that man in a lie looks like fun.

So far, I am enjoying it. It's still odd to see Poirot pull out his phone, and take pics of the crime scene.
    Tried to place a pick up in store order for the new Metal Gear Solid Collection at Target, which said there were 2 copies. Sure enough I get emailed a couple hours later saying it’s out of stock instead. Fun times; I’ll see if I can find it on my lunch break soon.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Tried to place a pick up in store order for the new Metal Gear Solid Collection at Target, which said there were 2 copies. Sure enough I get emailed a couple hours later saying it’s out of stock instead. Fun times; I’ll see if I can find it on my lunch break soon.

Isn’t this available digitally?
    FoxRox wrote: »

Isn’t this available digitally?

It is, but I always prefer to go with physical editions when I can. The Switch cartridge only comes with the 2D games with a required download for the others, but anything is better than nothing the way I see it. In any case luckily I did get a copy but it took a lot of searching. Nowhere but GameStop had it near me, which is a shame as I don’t like them, but I had to have it. Been dying to play all these.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    That's fair, can totally understand wanting to have physical media. I'm happy that I have a lot of the old video games from my childhood, but on the other hand I've become a bit of a materialist and I'm trying to have less *things* around. A lot of my modern video games are digital due to this and also convenience. Of course other problems arise, like the need for more physical storage, which is a pain. Glad you found these games though, seems like an awesome collection of classic games.
    I'm really liking the puzzles so far. The briefcase near the end of chapter two was a nice touch, especially after the first 3 digits.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,376
    singularity-inceleme.jpg
    I have had this game on my STEAM wish list for some time, it was on offer so bought it. Enjoying it so far very atmospheric and the monsters are good.

This game really is graphically stunning I am impressed.

Just acquired the time manipulation gauntlet, this is a lot of fun.
    Anyone played RoboCop: Rogue City? It looks fun. Developed by the same company behind that awful Rambo game from a few years back. THAT was one of the worst games that I have played.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,057
    Anyone played RoboCop: Rogue City? It looks fun. Developed by the same company behind that awful Rambo game from a few years back. THAT was one of the worst games that I have played.

I want to, I am a huge RoboCop fan and I am glad the game has solid reviews, but its a £25 game at most for me.

Right now I am on Hogwarts Legacy and then plan on moving on to Ghost of Tsushima
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I keep saying it looks like a really great purchase at $30 or so, or even on GamePass. It's not something I'm shelling out full price for though.

Anybody here been loving Alan Wake II like I have? It's an entirely different experience from its predecessor and yet I love what it tries to do.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia

I've played RoboCop: Rogue City and it's just a average game not even close to DOOM Eternal for example.

Probably only worth $5 at most.

Worth waiting for something better to come out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,376
    downfall-half-life-2-mod-download-768x504.jpg
    Another terrifying HL mod, I get so jumpy when playing this.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,812
    Star Ocean The Second Story R

This was and is my favorite JRPG from the original PlayStation. The remake just released recently and, while I’m not very far, I’m in love with it all over again. Highly recommended for those of you who love old school JRPG’s.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 13,894
    Remothered: Tormented Fathers
    H2x1_NSwitchDS_RemotheredTormentedFathers_image1600w.jpg
    Damn this game, my nerves are shredded every time I play it. Looking at the trophy list, I must be approaching the last stretch.... I say with relief. This game might have a AA budget (or even A), but the creepy atmosphere and intensity is nothing short of AAA. With recent developments of the story leaving me feel "WTF", I have no idea what psychologically scarring twist(s) lie ahead, especially now that we know what happened to Richard.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn this game, my nerves are shredded every time I play it. Looking at the trophy list, I must be approaching the last stretch.... I say with relief. This game might have a AA budget (or even A), but the creepy atmosphere and intensity is nothing short of AAA. With recent developments of the story leaving me feel "WTF", I have no idea what psychologically scarring twist(s) lie ahead, especially now that we know what happened to Richard.

Would you recommend it? I saw some gameplay of this a while back and it looked really, really, really creepy. Is it a sequel, I'm guessing?
    edited November 2023 Posts: 13,894
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Would you recommend it? I saw some gameplay of this a while back and it looked really, really, really creepy. Is it a sequel, I'm guessing?

I would recommend it if you played Haunting Ground on the PS2 and liked it, it is more that than Resident Evil. If you haven't played Haunting Ground, then picture a more psychological Resident Evil 1, with no guns, and stalkers that will chase you from room to room and floor to floor unless you can break line of sight and hide. It's not a sequel, though a second game, Remothered: Broken Porcelain was made. I don't know how close of a sequel it is, as I have avoided reading up on it.
    Finished yesterday. I still have questions, but that one of the most creepiest games I have ever played. You can feel your heart pounding in you chest, when fleeing from one of the stalkers, desperately hoping that the next corner will be enough to break their line of sight. Then when it isn't enough, you quickly try to remember where you are in the villa's layout, and where the nearest closet to hide in or sofa to hide under is. Looking back on the story, of what I understand of it, it was a tragic tale.

I will give the 2nd game a try at some point, but I have heard that it contradicts a lot of what is told in Tormented Fathers.

Highly recommended.
    Assassin's Creed: Nexus VR.
    Half Life: Opposing Force got quite far into the game now, great addition to the series. I just love Half Life games.

Also been playing Half Life C.A.G.E.D. which is a fun prison break game.

maxresdefault.jpg
    ss_e8b8290d734e1a5aa6a6091a346908b1f9f874d7.1920x1080.jpg?t=1572767051

Most of my gaming recently has been on STEAM, I rarely use my Xbox.
    I thought the game had finished. After solving what traditionally was the end of the case. The game cuts to the credits... for a few seconds, before going back into the story for a new twist...
    Poirot relaxing in his room is awoken by a knocking on the door. Dr Constantine has made a mistake. Upon a further examination of the body, he has found a 13th stab wound, indicating 13 murderers, not 12. Poirot heads off to Venice to follow up a clue in Ratchett's diary.
    @MajorDSmythe have you played any of the other Poirot games, The ABC Murders and The First Case are going very cheap in the sale on Xbox, I was thinking of trying one of them...
    I have played The ABC Murders (I have the other two; First Case and London Case ready). I am not overly keen on the cell-shaded style art of of ABC, but overall it was ok.