Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited October 2023 Posts: 12,837
    [Its not like they have been focused on the sexual aspect of bond for a while now, its mostly just kissing scenes. I can't think of any scenes from the past few craig films that wouldn't work with a trans actor in the role, can you?

If they were playing the character as trans then yeah, I could. I can’t be arsed to list them though, only reason I’m replying again is I didn’t appreciate you making me sound bigoted towards the end there.
    Also you would only be acknowledging them as trans in the same way you are acknowledging them as black.

Except those two things aren’t the same, so I don’t think that acknowledgement would work the same way.
    The upshot of what you're saying is basically that trans people aren't convincing at portraying their chosen gender on screen and shouldn't be cast in roles with any kind of sexual dimension to them so as to not offend the sensibilities of a largely cis audience.

Not what I’ve said at all. I’ve said I think Bond needs to be cisgender presently for the films to work as they do, because society hasn’t progressed enough yet to the point where a trans Bond would make no difference in the same way a black Bond would. You could just treat it the same, but it would push it too far into fantasy for me, and acknowledging it properly and altering the film with that in mind would stop it feeling like Bond. So, I’d only want a trans actor if they could pass as cisgender. I think the odds of that happening are low because there aren’t many trans actors in the first place, so the odds of one who could pass as cisgender also being able to pull off all Bond’s quite difficult to nail shtick are pretty much non existent. As for your last point, I think Bond should stick to conventional beauty standards. If you’re casting a trans actor who couldn’t pass as cis like you’re suggesting, I think you’d have a hard time getting them to fit those standards. I wouldn’t want an overweight Bond or Bond girl for the same reason. That doesn’t mean you can’t cast them in sexy roles in other films or that nobody finds them attractive.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2023 Posts: 5,869
    All in all I think, whatever happens, there’s been more coverage of overly specific details on this site than whatever will be considered by EON, which makes me thankful we’re not the ones casting him.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    All in all I think, whatever happens, there’s been more coverage of overly specific details on this site than whatever will be considered by EON, which makes me thankful we’re not the ones casting him.

Oh yes, absolutely. Now that is the truth.
  • But what if a chinless black trans man in a wheelchair was cast as Bond? That would be an outrage.
    But how can we have a discussion on chins without the man himself...

E12gVZ3X0AAytDt.png

ANTHONY CHINN!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    HALF OUR NET INCOME?!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    peter wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    @peter you once said uou can imagine anyone post craig so what made you change your tune?

And bullets for winter isnt that bad i like the title

Simply put: Sope made me excited by his charisma, charm, ruggedness, masculinity, vulnerability…. Whereas other actors just look like wet napkins compared to him (in most cases, although I think Mescal is one to watch out for too; a young man with talent, presence and oozes sex appeal).

Saying that, I don’t think Sope’ll be cast.

But he ticks all the boxes in what I personally would like in James Bond. He’s got it all. He’s one talented actor that has star charisma, and stands like a giant amongst the other “candidates” discussed here.

Yes, if Eon wants a serious actor, and if he wants it, Mescal is the one to watch. I could easily see Barbara Broccoli choosing him.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 2,954
    But what if a chinless black trans man in a wheelchair was cast as Bond? That would be an outrage.

Maybe if they had a deeper voice than ATJ some fans would get behind it. Or a good chin.
    Denbigh wrote: »

Exactly. EON also has the ability to get some of their preferred candidates to audition (or at least will do at some point) which really makes the difference. I suspect when looking at an actor’s previous work they’re also not looking at chins, height etc. but more vague and intangible qualities. How they move, acting ability, what kind of vibe they give off in certain roles etc.

Casting’s an odd thing in that way. It’s not a science, especially when it comes to a part like Bond.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    There's also the question of how much trouble the producers think the candidate would be day-in, day-out. They will want someone pretty reliable, and I think that will mean someone with a certain amount of experience. I don't think we'll get another Lazenby.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It's difficult to imagine that we'll get someone who gives it their absolute all, totally above and beyond, like Dan did. We were so lucky to have him.
  • If there is not a "Next Bond Pool" yet here on this page perhaps there should be ? It should be done by one of you regulars here. I do not visit enough. Also not familiar enough with gambling rules on line? It would be something to do while we wait for next Bond.....James Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I also imagine that whomever is chosen, there will be a very strong vetting of the man’s socials and background. EoN don’t want to hire someone only to discover a couple of months later that there may be skeletons in the closet, a la a Jonathan Majors.

Whoever becomes James Bond has to have a squeaky clean record.
    I do always wonder just how possible it is to avoid something from an actor’s past/personal life popping up though. Obviously when it comes to previous assaults/sexual misconduct that’s a very different and far bigger issue than, say, a stupid joke posted on social media when they were young, or something like a previous alcohol or substance abuse issue (which quite a number of more famous actors I suspect struggle with). I’m not sure how many people have a squeaky clean past in this sense. I’m not even sure if any of the previous Bond actors have such a record.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    007HallY wrote: »
    I do always wonder just how possible it is to avoid something from an actor’s past/personal life popping up though. Obviously when it comes to previous assaults/sexual misconduct that’s a very different and far bigger issue than, say, a stupid joke posted on social media when they were young, or something like a previous alcohol or substance abuse issue (which quite a number of more famous actors I suspect struggle with). I’m not sure how many people have a squeaky clean past in this sense. I’m not even sure if any of the previous Bond actors have such a record.

I hear you, but it is now something that’s considered. I’m sure there’s some kind of red line that each studio has defined.

But even silly tweets, like James Gunn made over a decade ago, had him temporarily losing his job and the Guardians gig, until his cast fought for his return.
  • peter wrote: »
    I also imagine that whomever is chosen, there will be a very strong vetting of the man’s socials and background. EoN don’t want to hire someone only to discover a couple of months later that there may be skeletons in the closet, a la a Jonathan Majors.

Whoever becomes James Bond has to have a squeaky clean record.
    Yep. That I 100% agree with.

I hear you, but it is now something that’s considered. I’m sure there’s some kind of red line that each studio has defined.

But even silly tweets, like James Gunn made over a decade ago, had him temporarily losing his job and the Guardians gig, until his cast fought for his return.

Yeah I’m sure there’s a red line somewhere. I suspect if there’s any whisper of sexual misconduct or abusive behaviour from people an actor has worked with in the past they’ll definitely avoid them.

That said I feel these things are so selective. I remember watching an old Graham Norton interview with Mark Wahlberg and Tom Holland where they talk about the latter being new to Hollywood. Lots of jokes on Wahlberg’s part about him being the last person to give advice and the fact that he’s been in jail etc. Very much a sort of lovable rogue act. I do wonder how many people in the audience knew that some of Wahlberg’s jail time comes from him beating up and racially abusing an Asian American man to the point where he nearly blinded the guy. That’s not even the only racially charged crime he’s committed. He still seems to get work. Same with Michael Fassbender - an actor who has allegations of beating up his ex girlfriend on more than one occasion.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

It seems increasingly common that younger up and coming actors majorly curate and delete their social posts when they've been cast in a potentially career changing role.

If a British actor in his early to mid thirties suddenly power cleans the f*** out of his socials next year...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Red_Snow wrote: »

It seems increasingly common that younger up and coming actors majorly curate and delete their social posts when they've been cast in a potentially career changing role.

If a British actor in his early to mid thirties suddenly power cleans the f*** out of his socials next year...

Good point and something to keep an eye on, 😂
    For me as many know i am the popcorn king.. i dont know actors in British period peices or british theater stars

That being said the fan trailer with james norton looked really good and Nicholas Hoult is coming into his own to be honest as roger moore esque bond
  • There's nothing I've seen ATJ in that makes me think he'd be a good Bond. Happy to be proven wrong if he gets the job, but he doesn't have the acting chops.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    For me as many know i am the popcorn king.. i dont know actors in British period peices or british theater stars

That being said the fan trailer with james norton looked really good and Nicholas Hoult is coming into his own to be honest as roger moore esque bond

Absolutely about Hoult.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,934
    Nicholas Hoult as a Sir Rog-type Bond? Yeah, I can actually see that. Good call. Not the type of Bond I want next, but if that's the route they go they could certainly do a lot worse than Hoult. I can't see ATJ as a Rogesque Bond at all although, strangely, I thought that he showed greater comedic skills in Bullet Train than Hoult did in Renfield. Funny how that works.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While Craig may have been Barbara’s favorite from the outset, 8 actors were screentested; The role is not going to be handled to anyone; it’s going to be earned.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    While Craig may have been Barbara’s favorite from the outset, 8 actors were screentested; The role is not going to be handled to anyone; it’s going to be earned.

💯 💯 💯…. Just like most job positions, there is a process of interviews/auditions.

Especially as something as big as Bond, the producers will make sure they dot all “I”s and cross all “T”s. They need to know the man they choose is the best possible candidate at that time (and a lot goes into this decision (is the actor able to accept he may have to say no to some projects during his tenure; is he ready to give a decade of his life? Is he a personality that they want to work with day in and day out during production ? Is he ready to do extra promotions…)). If Craig and EoN are to be believed, he really pushed back on accepting the role, and for good reason: He was essentially a working actor, highly regarded in many indie films and TV, and if he accepted the role his life was about to be turned upside down… And now more than ever, every step the next actor takes will be scrutinized, will be filmed … His world will suddenly get a lot smaller….
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Also, while the creative decision of who becomes Bond lies with Eon, Amazon can exert power in other ways, like the budget.

I can't imagine them going with a lightweight presence like Brosnan or Cavill anymore. I enjoyed Moore but even AVTAK was 38 years ago!

Eon struck gold with Craig and I don't fault them for taking their time now. The temptation will likely be to go with a serious actor like Craig but not too similar to Craig. The new fellow will have big shoes to fill.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,113
    echo wrote: »
    Also, while the creative decision of who becomes Bond lies with Eon, Amazon can exert power in other ways, like the budget.

I can't imagine them going with a lightweight presence like Brosnan or Cavill anymore. I enjoyed Moore but even AVTAK was 38 years ago!

Eon struck gold with Craig and I don't fault them for taking their time now. The temptation will likely be to go with a serious actor like Craig but not too similar to Craig. The new fellow will have big shoes to fill.

Craig worked for 2006 - 2012.

Some like SPECTRE, some like Bond 25, but in the opinion of the casual audience those films came and went without leaving much of a mark (except on Bond himself). I think continuing in the same vein with a new actor when put the series on very shaky ground.

The whole point of wiping the slate clean was to make way for something new, a fresh approach.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    echo wrote: »

Craig worked for 2006 - 2012.

Some like SPECTRE, some like Bond 25, but in the opinion of the casual audience those films came and went without leaving much of a mark (except on Bond himself). I think continuing in the same vein with a new actor when put the series on very shaky ground.

The whole point of wiping the slate clean was to make way for something new, a fresh approach.

Enter Nolan and his period Bond, close to the source material. Then we're all happy! Right guys? RIGHT!?

:)
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 9,775
    For me again much like a decade ago i am starting to see my Connery type my Moore type and possibly my dalton type

A decade ago it was

Hardy (connery type)
    Fassbender (dalton type)
    Hiddleston (moore type)

Now its

Hoult (moore type)
    Jack Bannon (connery type)

And i havent found my dalton yet personally Patterson could be Daltonesque but i prefer him as Batman (similar to Bale now 20 years ago)

Again in 2017 i had my mind made up Hardy for a trilogy

Now i dont have a front runner just a bunch of actors who might be good maybe..

The elephant in the room is ATJ an actor i am convinced is Bab’s favorite (with no inside info just a gut feeling and the kinds of men she goes for) but whom is so forgettable i forgot i saw him in two films…

Look others like David Zaritsky and Calvin Dyson seem over the moon with the potential of him as 007 and i trust them

A Nolan/ATJ paring for bond 26 might be the best option

But that is based more on what people i trust say then my own opinion lol as i saw the trailer for beekeeper and thought man i want to see that where as most here see the same trailer and think “the dusted off that old script that even Arnold was too good for from 1989 huh”
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,934
    ATJ an actor...so forgettable i forgot i saw him in two films…
    Have to 'fess, I'd seen The Wall twice and it was only when I watched it again last year that I realised/remembered that ATJ played the main character in it! :D Maybe that speaks to his skills as a character actor...er...maybe...
    Venutius wrote: »
    ATJ an actor...so forgettable i forgot i saw him in two films…
    Have to 'fess, I'd seen The Wall twice and it was only when I watched it again last year that I realised/remembered that ATJ played the main character in it! :D Maybe that speaks to his skills as a character actor...er...maybe...

I did the same thing with Craig, didn't realise he was the guy from Lara Croft until ages after he was cast.