Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Saw Maestro at its NA debut last night. Not what you might expect, but I thought it was a well-crafted film and got a lot out of it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Some of my latest watches:

Babylon: Loved it. At one point, Tobey Maguire shows up out of nowhere and steals the film.

75c9db6312a4a397cc4f7f81628a2fb2.jpg

The Batman: Yeah, give me more of this! Just cut it out with the goddamn Joker.

Mikey and Nicky: Loved it.

The Quick and the Dead: My essential annual Hackman viewing. He kicks ass, as does most of the movie, despite some iffy plotting in spots. So much style! The love scene was absolutely superfluous, and I'm happy to read Sharon Stone agreed. She was so cool in her role, as well, as were Crowe and DiCaprio.

It's My Turn: Another fun time with Ms. Jill Clayburgh. Michael Douglas in the beginnings of movie stardom was already charismatic. Charles Grodin too. Catchy music score by Columbo veteran Patrick Williams.

The Innocent: @GoldenGun recommended this. It was good, especially the last part of the film, with the payoff of everything that came before. The outlook on life of the character of Tullio was fascinating, but I still felt the film as a whole was still a bit dull, a bit lacking in life. I don't know that she's particularly held in high esteem as an actress, but I felt Jennifer O'Neill was superb in her role. Despite not regarding it as a great film, I'm looking forward to more Visconti movies. Oh, and the last shot of the movie was delightful.

Only just saw that you gave "L' innocente" a go, thanks for checking it out! :) Sorry you couldn't get out of it what I did, but I'm glad you at least didn't dislike it :)
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 6,760
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Some of my latest watches:

Babylon: Loved it. At one point, Tobey Maguire shows up out of nowhere and steals the film.

75c9db6312a4a397cc4f7f81628a2fb2.jpg

The Batman: Yeah, give me more of this! Just cut it out with the goddamn Joker.

Mikey and Nicky: Loved it.

The Quick and the Dead: My essential annual Hackman viewing. He kicks ass, as does most of the movie, despite some iffy plotting in spots. So much style! The love scene was absolutely superfluous, and I'm happy to read Sharon Stone agreed. She was so cool in her role, as well, as were Crowe and DiCaprio.

It's My Turn: Another fun time with Ms. Jill Clayburgh. Michael Douglas in the beginnings of movie stardom was already charismatic. Charles Grodin too. Catchy music score by Columbo veteran Patrick Williams.

The Innocent: @GoldenGun recommended this. It was good, especially the last part of the film, with the payoff of everything that came before. The outlook on life of the character of Tullio was fascinating, but I still felt the film as a whole was still a bit dull, a bit lacking in life. I don't know that she's particularly held in high esteem as an actress, but I felt Jennifer O'Neill was superb in her role. Despite not regarding it as a great film, I'm looking forward to more Visconti movies. Oh, and the last shot of the movie was delightful.

Only just saw that you gave "L' innocente" a go, thanks for checking it out! :) Sorry you couldn't get out of it what I did, but I'm glad you at least didn't dislike it :)

You're welcome and thanks for the recommendation ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    MV5BMTUwMjg0MzgyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQ2MDgzNA@@._V1_.jpg
    I have never seen this film before, but given the Lovecraft connection, and it's from the team behind the Re-Animator, I did have an idea what I was in for.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    MV5BMTUwMjg0MzgyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQ2MDgzNA@@._V1_.jpg
    I have never seen this film before, but given the Lovecraft connection, and it's from the team behind the Re-Animator, I did have an idea what I was in for.

I like this film very, very much. As far as the Gordon / Yuzna adaptations of Lovecraft are concerned, my ranking is:

1) DAGON (also an adaptation of my favorite Lovecraft story: The Shadow Over Innsmouth)
    2) FROM BEYOND
    3) RE-ANIMATOR
    Woody Allen’d latest.

If the man’s gonna make the same narrative over and over again, he could at least improve upon it. Which, alas, is not the case. One of his worst. Abismal even. Both Crimes and misdemeanours and Matchpoint were better versions of this film. By now, he’s ran out of ideas, and that’s painfully obvious.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,720
    My choice tonight was a classic from the late 60s:
    717KbCjnnDL._SL1200_.jpg
    In English, this is The Bridge At Remagen, with a plethora of great acting performances and also a magnificent Elmer Bernstein score. Loved it (and having seen it at least fifty years ago), not least since it did not portray the "German" protagonists (i.e. Robert Vaughn and a few others) as fanatical Nazis but as characters torn between their conscience and obedience to the Nazi regime.

That's much as I would like to remember my own father (1915 - 1996), who was an artillery batallion commander in the German army until the Soviets captured him (for five years or so) until he was released on Jan 1, 1950, and allowed to return to his family (which didn't include me at the time).
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I am working my way through a re-watch of The Hunger Games movies, as I havent seen them for quite a number of years, and I note the prequel is coming out soon.

Ratings/Rankings so far:

1. The Hunger Games Catching Fire - 4.5/5
    2. The Hunger Games - 4/5

Going to try and get Mockingjay Part 1 done tonight, I remember enjoying this one at the cinema, Part 2 less so.
    Mallory wrote: »
    I am working my way through a re-watch of The Hunger Games movies, as I havent seen them for quite a number of years, and I note the prequel is coming out soon.

Ratings/Rankings so far:

1. The Hunger Games Catching Fire - 4.5/5
    2. The Hunger Games - 4/5

Going to try and get Mockingjay Part 1 done tonight, I remember enjoying this one at the cinema, Part 2 less so.

Funny: I had the opposite reaction. Pt.1 is just a bunch of talking heads, shot by a sea-sick cameraman, in a film that fails to exist on its own. It's so clearly a drawn-out first part of a book (the setup) somehow stretched to an entire film. Pt.2, at least, has major action scenes and a dramatic ending to offer.

Catching Fire is my favorite.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I remember thinking the first one was insanely forgettable but the second was a big improvement, at least in the action department. I recall even less from the third installment and gave up after that, had no interest in seeing how it all ended.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Mocking Jay part 1 was the slowest and most forgettable. Part 2 had the decent execution of making their way through the Capital avoiding all of the traps. Catching Fire is the best of the 4 by far.
    Stripes 4/6 , not really that funny imo and a bit overlong , 90 mins for comedy should be sufficient
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    tumblr_mtyhsyYQ701rsbftzo8_500.gif

tumblr_o70hfmuGUS1vsfgv6o2_500.gif

8fa762702e821bedda1865a1ecebb11e30351ae5.gif
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Operation Fortune. If you haven't seen it, it's Guy Ritchie basically doing a medium-weight Bond movie with Jason Statham instead of an actual Bond. Quite entertaining- I don't know how I missed it when it came out.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Operation Fortune. If you haven't seen it, it's Guy Ritchie basically doing a medium-weight Bond movie with Jason Statham instead of an actual Bond. Quite entertaining- I don't know how I missed it when it came out.

That's how I felt. It was entertaining enough for a viewing, nothing special but not horrible either. I'm really looking forward to Statham's next one, The Beekeeper.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Last night: this.
    71PITMOZeWL._SL1299_.jpg
    Very good noir/crime story, directed by the legendary Fritz Lang. I'll probably watch another one of his movies tonight.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    1000x563.jpg
    Psycho III 1986 There is a better film here than i remember, a few good idea's and Perkins is on good form in front and behind the camera in his directional debut. admittedly the trashy sleazy element still put me off a bit though don't last long. Relatively speaking I think this is a better film than quite a few of the Jason and Michael Myers sequels.

HD certainly gives Psycho III a new lease of life.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 12,281
    Recently rewatched American Psycho (2000). It takes a certain mood, but it hits the spot when I’m in that mood. The satire is enormous and not the least bit subtle, but still highly entertaining. I have to say that I think the movie’s aged particularly well, in the sense that there is so much glorification of the 1980s these days in other movies, shows, and just the ways people talk about it. But American Psycho is here to present it as the ultimate nightmare landscape and does a great job at it. I would like to see a similar thing done for the 1950s - the “good ol’ days” - where all the real horrors are exposed and the rose-tinted idea of the past is rightfully torn apart.
  • Finished watching the first 3 Friday the 13th films. To be frank I don’t understand the appeal of these movies, and I’m debating whether or not I want to finish the series. I much prefer the original Halloween and Halloween 2 to these movies.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I remember part 6 being a cut above the rest… no pun intended
  • talos7 wrote: »
    I remember part 6 being a cut above the rest… no pun intended

Man that probably doesn’t bode well for me then…
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    straitjacket.jpeg
    Bizzare horror from 1964, one particular scene was creepy as hell which I did not see coming.

A classic from the "hagsploitation" era. :D
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Dwayne wrote: »
    straitjacket.jpeg
    Bizzare horror from 1964, one particular scene was creepy as hell which I did not see coming.

A classic from the "hagsploitation" era. :D

Crawford and Davis certainly got an extra lease of life in cinema after What Ever Happened to Baby Jane. .
    Finished watching the first 3 Friday the 13th films. To be frank I don’t understand the appeal of these movies, and I’m debating whether or not I want to finish the series. I much prefer the original Halloween and Halloween 2 to these movies.

The Final Chapter, i.e. part IV, is my favourite, but for lots of reasons that happen to come in pairs. ;-)

There's also Freddy vs. Jason, which is quite a delight.

To be honest, I'm a huge slasher fan. I find these old-fashioned '80s (and '90s) flicks interesting as well as amusing.
    Man I really want to rewatch Freddy vs. Jason. That was a fun movie!

And Bride of Chucky!
    ...and here is my next Fritz Lang movie:

715VNvHyQxL._SL1500_.jpg
    This is in fact quite a gripping spy/war movie made in 1946. US nuclear scientist Alvah Jesper (Cooper) is commissioned by the OSS to get an Italian colleague out of the German occupied country, since intelligence showed that the Germans were also working on an atom bomb.

Among his qualifications is "speaking a little German", so he is to impersonate a German scientist from Berlin in order to get to the Italian professor. This is really my major gripe with the movie, since he speaks with the worst American accent imaginable, and nobody who has learned at least a little German would have accepted him in that role. The Gestapo would probably have captured him as soon as having said "Guten Morgen" for the first time. But I guess it was the studio who insisted that Cooper play the role... in a movie that is otherwise stacked with German/Austrian actors who all speak with nothing worse than a Vienna accent.

On the bright side, Austrian actress Lilli Palmer actually steals the show in her role as an Italian resistance fighter named Gina, who of course ultimately falls in love with Cooper's character.

For 1946, the film is surprisingly ambivalent about the atom bomb and the danger it poses for the world in the future. However, there are at least rumours that Fritz Lang had to cut the entire final reel of the movie at the studio's request, since it did not have the semi-happy ending with Jesper being flown out to safety and promising Gina to come back after the war. In Lang's ending (as I read somewhere), Cooper's character dies, while the Americans must keep searching for the German labs, ultimately coming to the conclusion that those had probably been relocated to South America and still pose a threat.

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    ...and here is my next Fritz Lang movie:

715VNvHyQxL._SL1500_.jpg
    This is in fact quite a gripping spy/war movie made in 1946. US nuclear scientist Alvah Jesper (Cooper) is commissioned by the OSS to get an Italian colleague out of the German occupied country, since intelligence showed that the Germans were also working on an atom bomb.

Among his qualifications is "speaking a little German", so he is to impersonate a German scientist from Berlin in order to get to the Italian professor. This is really my major gripe with the movie, since he speaks with the worst American accent imaginable, and nobody who has learned at least a little German would have accepted him in that role. The Gestapo would probably have captured him as soon as having said "Guten Morgen" for the first time. But I guess it was the studio who insisted that Cooper play the role... in a movie that is otherwise stacked with German/Austrian actors who all speak with nothing worse than a Vienna accent.

On the bright side, Austrian actress Lilli Palmer actually steals the show in her role as an Italian resistance fighter named Gina, who of course ultimately falls in love with Cooper's character.

For 1946, the film is surprisingly ambivalent about the atom bomb and the danger it poses for the world in the future. However, there are at least rumours that Fritz Lang had to cut the entire final reel of the movie at the studio's request, since it did not have the semi-happy ending with Jesper being flown out to safety and promising Gina to come back after the war. In Lang's ending (as I read somewhere), Cooper's character dies, while the Americans must keep searching for the German labs, ultimately coming to the conclusion that those had probably been relocated to South America and still pose a threat.

You know your stuff, @j_w_pepper.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    You know your stuff, @j_w_pepper.

Thank you, @DarthDimi.
    And here's the next one of my Fritz Lang spree:

81QiBnE4luL._SL1500_.jpg

I'd say it is noir as noir can be, with a femme fatale (Gloria Grahame) being at the centre of the entire story. Plus, it is probably the most railroad-centred movie I know. Ahead of From Russia With Love and Murder on the Orient Express. Railroad fans, take heed of this!

:
    I clearly need to check out more of Lang's work. From what I've seen, he's a brilliant director. Metropolis is a masterpiece, so is M, and I thoroughly enjoyed Ministry of Fear.