Behind the scenes Bond - various

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 14,983
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Whoa, love that green screen shot of Bond holding Alec off the cradle. Never seen it before.
    Is that some kind of green support arm that’s coming out of the wall and going into Sean Bean’s back, presumably to hold him vertically upside down? Whoah, I hope he didn’t have to hang like that upside down for too long! Blood rushing to your head like that - can’t be good.

No, they're doing it horizontally. Pierce is standing on his tippy toes. Sean is laying flat on his back. Presumably there's a plank or bit of fibreglass shaped to his back for him to lay on.

Same here (with thanks to Thunderballs as ever):

31b808_b0e9ef4e0cc34aff9d86ab6021263cd0~mv2.jpg
    (That one seems to be flipped for some reason!)

31b808_0d78c77929c1491db7d411245ca59c3c~mv2.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ah, so I was right then! Very cool way to execute that, never would've thought of it myself. Gonna keep it in mind when I rewatch this next month.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's a lovely bit of lateral thinking which I wouldn't have even considered when watching it, but it makes sense for doing it safely. You can see the track on the floor that I guess they wheel Sean's trolley along for when he 'falls'.
  • mtm wrote: »
    Whoa, love that green screen shot of Bond holding Alec off the cradle. Never seen it before.
    Is that some kind of green support arm that’s coming out of the wall and going into Sean Bean’s back, presumably to hold him vertically upside down? Whoah, I hope he didn’t have to hang like that upside down for too long! Blood rushing to your head like that - can’t be good.

No, they're doing it horizontally. Pierce is standing on his tippy toes. Sean is laying flat on his back. Presumably there's a plank or bit of fibreglass shaped to his back for him to lay on.

So if it’s all horizontal did they rotate that footage somehow to make it look vertical on the screen?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it's the same way up in the film, isn't it? They just put a picture of the ground on the far wall and your mind reads it as the camera pointing down whereas it's actually just shooting horizontally. If you hung a carpet on the wall next to you and put a picture frame on the floor and took a photo, it would look like you're taking a photo from the ceiling.

Those must've been some heavy duty ladders not to be bending under the actors! But it does make it much safer to do, plus not as tiring for them to repeat for different takes.

Yeah there you go: the camera is just pointing horizontally, it's the background which is the wrong way around.

ME16YJPV_o.jpg

ME16YJPW_o.jpg

ME16YJPX_o.jpg

The funny thing is if you look at the "No, for me" reverse close up on Pierce, from the look of the telescope behind him he's actually holding Alec pretty much horizontally! :D
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it's the same way up in the film, isn't it? They just put a picture of the ground on the far wall and your mind reads it as the camera pointing down whereas it's actually just shooting horizontally.
    Those must've been some heavy duty ladders not to be bending under the actors! But it does make it much safer to do, plus not as tiring for them to repeat for different takes.

This is the case. And as you said, Bean falls "down" by merely falling backward, as the bit he's attached to just moves on a track to give the appearance of him falling to the ground. Masterful stuff.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    83574917_3498521353523465_4358922631802519552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=7f8c78&_nc_ohc=DOj8GkzsEi0AX-Mcglv&_nc_oc=AQkbwXAwCk36a4QFZgjMp47mm6pRmYCcd7ZwCc9wlqg3PztB8pRQlwvYyzHNp2-YBek&_nc_ht=scontent-fra5-1.xx&oh=00_AfDqzyLbeHsWZALbbXwnwBSwts1ZvGaWMOKo0LaD2RBs3Q&oe=6550E238
    Insanely impressive for a mid-90s film. I love it.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 724

Not at all. They looked bad back then.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

To you they did. That effect still holds up for me, and obviously for plenty of others.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    *I apologise for the following images. They may cause some members heartrates to rise*

2tairbackueu.jpg
    cebw5z416697.jpg
    wzugj05u90mi.jpg
    tbx4tzi4idkd.jpg
    dafpfrk2l6l6.jpg
    bxb6kejnpi5x.jpg
    z7p2czxctmvj.jpg
    ln0weiwj5eb7.jpg
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

To you they did. That effect still holds up for me, and obviously for plenty of others.

It doesn't matter now. It's an old movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Yes, it really is. Great to see how it was done. It's certainly a lot better than the old back or front projection method.
    lidppc25e5ol.jpg
    tnvcch7d18v2.jpg
    qcau1p96xhdw.jpg
    f0hut8ayseuc.jpg
    w5qt2psgxhlv.jpg
    llcitbfa8hdh.jpg
    exk02rjjzrn8.jpg
    xnz3n1wxcew5.jpg

Sadly we come to the end of the line for GoldenEye.
    Tomorrow we move onto the 18th film, Tomorrow Never Dies.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, it really is. Great to see how it was done. It's certainly a lot better than the old back or front projection method.

It truly is movie magic. I will be watching Goldeneye some time this weekend, the first time since my last complete Bond Marathon that must be going on three or four years(?).

Seeing the BTS footage shows a production team at the top of their game. Very impressive and I'm always in awe of these great and talented people...
    @Benny, you genius. What a great way to wrap GE (and yes, heart rates will definitely rise with those images).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    51776274290_34c9231596_o.png
    QBranch wrote: »
    51776274290_34c9231596_o.png

Love it!
    So glad that Q did indeed get to enjoy his lunch.
    Time for us to move onto the second outing for Pierce Brosnan. The eighteenth film in the EON series of James Bond films...

Tomorrow Never Dies

0qpdu2tjjdko.jpg

a0y54t7dfaxp.jpg
    3p11urci8zja.jpg
    4fuv5wi4a874.jpg
    hbr0xaq8yj8b.jpg
    6z8oxiwgmqku.jpg
    3ml3gwt569v0.jpg
    ev2yw3a9gzch.jpg

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Pierce's best Bond movie. And one of the top ten ever made IMHO.
    mw6qaz769vdc.jpg
    pz6uzcejunzh.jpg
    tx0iqldtgfyr.jpg
    dlzo2opiq7je.jpg
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited October 2023 Posts: 4,312
    That's an odd pose... is she trying to steal Bond's car keys?
  • zebrafish wrote: »
    That's an odd pose... is she trying to steal Bond's car keys?

yeah, the keys ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »

So if it’s all horizontal did they rotate that footage somehow to make it look vertical on the screen?

Not unlike…

AsWDoz0.jpg

snj3s1j156c0.jpg
    eb2lbdr7f5q0.jpg
    8l9id4rmkrtf.jpeg
    epwxus10joqz.jpg
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Pierce's best Bond movie. And one of the top ten ever made IMHO.

And probably my go-to feel-good Bond film, always.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 724
    Yes, It's Brosnan's best movie.

And the best "third Dalton movie we've never had".
    Well, GE will always be GE, and Pierce's best one, IMO. And one of the 10 best Bond films. But I do get where you're coming from. And I've probably watched TND more times than I care to confess.

BTW, is it safe to assume we have high quality BTS pictures from the early films, and only low quality, small pics from Pierce's. That's a shame.