Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'd be more than happy with Sope. He's certainly in my own top contenders alongside Aaron Taylor Johnson, Sam Claflin and Callum Turner. I just personally feel there's more important elements to James Bond than his skin colour.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 12,837
    peter wrote: »
    A short person would have a real challenge encapsulating James Bond @Mendes4Lyfe … Sope has no such problems. Other than people like you, obsessing over his skin color.

What does "encapsulating James Bond" mean besides the qualities that you listed above, because a little person is just as capable of portraying all of those qualities as an actor of 6 ft is.

The test I use when we’re on about changing xyz is this. Would it have made a difference to the last few films. You couldn’t slot a little person or a woman into them without dramatically altering them. But you could slot a tough, fit and good looking black or asian guy into any of the films from what, GE onwards? Maybe TND if you really wanted to get hung up on how successful he’d have been at spying in Russia. And you wouldn’t have to change anything else at all. Not a line of the script, not a single plot point or character dynamic. He’d still be the same top shagging super suave masculine icon, he‘d still be believeable moving through the posh rich circles Bond does. He’d just have darker skin than he has before.

I don’t think it makes any difference whatsoever in a modern Bond film. I do think it’s fair enough to want him to stay white if you want them to stay closer to the books, like @jetsetwilly, he’s very consistent in wanting things as close to Fleming as possible. But most of us aren’t really that bothered about that are we. We all pick and choose which bits of the books are important to us. It’s his fine if his race is one of those bits for you, but I do find it tiring when people bring Fleming writing him white up as if it should be the final word on the subject, before going back to praising Roger Moore’s Moonraker (I dunno if you like that one but you get my point).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Univex wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I love Daniel Craig and I hated the fact that Bond was blonde for the last 17 years. I dislike James Bond to be different from his literary depiction. Daniel Craig had other physical features that reminded me of the literary description, his cruel mouth, his eyes, his likeness to Carmichael,… It would take a lightning to strike twice in the same place and be encapsulated in the very same bottle for me to like a James Bond played by, for example, Sope. And then I wouldn’t be completely happy about it, as I wasn’t for the last 17 years to tell you the truth. And this comes from someone who supported Craig from the start, despite not believing that he’s the second coming of Connery.

Craig had the help of a brilliant production upgrade and a brilliant script to begin with. But if they had him playing Bond in TWINE or in TND, or in SP and NTTD only, then we’d see different reactions all around. He had a lot going on for him. A lot worked for him, despite the narrative that all were against him, which was only valid for CR.

Another “different” James Bond would have to have a brilliant script, a superb director, and a killer production for him to work the same way Craig did.

Just my two cents, of course.

That's a fair and sober take I can understand. It would certainly be different, and different can't be better for everybody. I think it's a credit to the franchise that there is so much potential, whether you stick to its roots and strict definitions, or choose to open it up to interpretation.

I hear you, and I agree. But I’m afraid some popular sayings and cautionary tales are true, being it the goose with the golden eggs or Pandora’s box, … And we’ve had different. And it worked rather well. Maybe it’s time for something closer to the origin, aesthetically wise - talking about Bond himself here. GE was a perfect example of distiling what worked for the literary Bond and the cinematic Bond and putting the two together with no shame or guilt or doubt about their product. I say get back to that ethos, with no shame or guilt, and with a bang, horns blaring in the background, “were you expecting someone else?” kind of thing. But infused with the production quality we’ve come to know with the Craig era.

I disagree in a way. Bond's background should at least be British. Now skincolour these days says little about how British you are, as there's plenty of people of different ethnicity beeing very British, so I don't really care about the colour part, but I DO care about the background part. Sorry, but James isn't a rastafari.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I love Daniel Craig and I hated the fact that Bond was blonde for the last 17 years. I dislike James Bond to be different from his literary depiction. Daniel Craig had other physical features that reminded me of the literary description, his cruel mouth, his eyes, his likeness to Carmichael,… It would take a lightning to strike twice in the same place and be encapsulated in the very same bottle for me to like a James Bond played by, for example, Sope. And then I wouldn’t be completely happy about it, as I wasn’t for the last 17 years to tell you the truth. And this comes from someone who supported Craig from the start, despite not believing that he’s the second coming of Connery.

Craig had the help of a brilliant production upgrade and a brilliant script to begin with. But if they had him playing Bond in TWINE or in TND, or in SP and NTTD only, then we’d see different reactions all around. He had a lot going on for him. A lot worked for him, despite the narrative that all were against him, which was only valid for CR.

Another “different” James Bond would have to have a brilliant script, a superb director, and a killer production for him to work the same way Craig did.

Just my two cents, of course.

That's a fair and sober take I can understand. It would certainly be different, and different can't be better for everybody. I think it's a credit to the franchise that there is so much potential, whether you stick to its roots and strict definitions, or choose to open it up to interpretation.

I hear you, and I agree. But I’m afraid some popular sayings and cautionary tales are true, being it the goose with the golden eggs or Pandora’s box, … And we’ve had different. And it worked rather well. Maybe it’s time for something closer to the origin, aesthetically wise - talking about Bond himself here. GE was a perfect example of distiling what worked for the literary Bond and the cinematic Bond and putting the two together with no shame or guilt or doubt about their product. I say get back to that ethos, with no shame or guilt, and with a bang, horns blaring in the background, “were you expecting someone else?” kind of thing. But infused with the production quality we’ve come to know with the Craig era.

I disagree in a way. Bond's background should at least be British. Now skincolour these days says little about how British you are, as there's plenty of people of different ethnicity beeing very British, so I don't really care about the colour part, but I DO care about the background part. Sorry, but James isn't a rastafari.

Agreed; Bond's British-ness is inextricably linked to the character and the stories being told.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 6,677
    And where in my post did I say Bond shouldn’t be British?? I was, in fact, just making a case for doing something more canonical. I never mentioned Britishness.

And race comes with a set of characteristics beyond skin colour that further push the character out of its original depiction. I have no problem with the logic of Britishness having nothing to do with race. That is a given. But the character was written with a set of characteristics that are phenotipically found on caucasians. So, we’d lose those. All or most of them. Would that be wrong, per se? No. But it’s not as in the books, is it? That’s all. It’s got nothing to do with discussing race issues. It’s just intelectual property integrity I’m talking about. People get annoyed when the change mentioned is about race. Not me. I’m against most change made to intelectual property. Not all change, I’m not an idiot and I know this franchise was built upon changing some things. Buy not Bond himself. Not that much. You can change the time(s), the world, the context, but you shouldn’t change Bond.
  • cryancryan UK
    How about the Scottish actor Stuart Martin? ( Miss Scarlet & the Duke, The Medicis, Jamestown) As female fan I think he’s got it all - height, looks, physicality, right age (37), intelligence. And he looks like he could kill you. :)
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    cryan wrote: »
    How about the Scottish actor Stuart Martin? ( Miss Scarlet & the Duke, The Medicis, Jamestown) As female fan I think he’s got it all - height, looks, physicality, right age (37), intelligence. And he looks like he could kill you. :)

I can sort of see it, he's kind of got comic Bond vibes but it's hard to tell when he's not completely clean-shaven. Plus at this rate 37 might be pushing it age-wise
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If you can have a black bond there is categorically no reason why bond can't also be trans. A man who is black is still a man, just like a man who is trans is still a man.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    If you can have a black bond there is categorically no reason why bond can't also be trans. A man who is black is still a man, just like a man who is trans is still a man.

Totally. Elliot Page is Canadian if we're going by Lazenby Rules, and he's 36 now (almost) prime Bond age.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 486
    Last night I had a dream in which Aaron Taylor Johnson gave a big speech at the Nobel Prize awards ceremony and Barbara Broccoli introduced him. There were two men in the front row who became very excited (shouting, jumping up and down) because they thought BB would announce ATJ as the next Bond right there and then. :D
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Wait, @Mendes4Lyfe , I thought you were championing a little person as the next James Bond. Now a trans actor? I can’t keep up with you!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Wait, @Mendes4Lyfe , I thought you were championing a little person as the next James Bond. Now a trans actor? I can’t keep up with you!

I thought @Mendes4Lyfe was suggesting Aidan Turner. I wasn't aware he was a trans actor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Benny wrote: »

I thought @Mendes4Lyfe was suggesting Aidan Turner. I wasn't aware he was a trans actor.

I’m beginning to learn that @Mendes4Lyfe is truly an out-of-the-box thinker. I commend him on not just resorting to the same old/same old.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 8,087
    I don't necessarily think it matters who plays james bond to how well the film perform or is recieved. I mean, what many consider (including myself) to be one of if not THE best Bond films featured a guy who had barely acted at all, and conversely the guy widely acknowledged as the BEST BOND ever also gave some of the most low-effort performances in the role (YOLT, DAF). At the end of the day there are so many factors that go into making a bond film good or bad, and the guy in the tux represents quite a small cog in the overall machine. I think I may have said at one stage or another that if bond were to become black I wouldn't watch it, and I don't think I would say that today. Not because I changed my mind, I still think that all things being equal bond should be how he was written, but if it was a straight up choice between a black bond whose identity as a defender of the realm out for King and Country remains intact versus a white bond who is openly portrayed as anti-monarchy anti-heirarchy etc. Then I think I would take the black bond (however inaccurate it is) over the actually flagrantly anti-bond bond. And I think the "woke" bond would be more of an insult to the works of fleming than the black bond would. I guess what I mean is, making him black is one thing, but changing his actual history/perspective is another and whatever your politics may be bond is clearly supposed to be at least vaguely patriotic and pro-monarchy.

There will always be actors that are better suited for the role than others, but how well you suit the part and what you manage to get done IN the part are very different.
  • YOLT and DAF made more money.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    YOLT and DAF made more money.

Compared to what exactly?
  • Than the other fella.
    What I mean is I think most bond fans would have much preferred OHMSS part 2, even with the lesser bond actor, than Diamonds Are Forever with Connery sleepwalking through the film.

If he can pass as a biological man then sure why not. But they’re not going to find a trans actor (a niche pool of people), who looks enough like a cisgender man to be cast in those roles over cis actors (an even nicher pool of people), who can convincingly play James Bond (another niche pool), so what’s the point in bringing it up.
  • What I mean is I think most bond fans would have much preferred OHMSS part 2, even with the lesser bond actor, than Diamonds Are Forever with Connery sleepwalking through the film.

Well, DAF was the 70's GoldenEye. It was needed.

If he can pass as a biological man then sure why not. But they’re not going to find a trans actor (a niche pool of people), who looks enough like a cisgender man to be cast in those roles over cis actors (an even nicher pool of people), who can convincingly play James Bond (another niche pool), so what’s the point in bringing it up.

Why should he need to pass as biologically male if the black actor doesn't need to pass as biologically white?

This is what I mean, it's all so arbitrary. One minute we're using the standard of "would it make a difference" and the next we switch to "as long as they pass as resembling the character fleming wrote" but no black actor resembles the character as fleming wrote him so we're back to square one. ~X(
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 6,677
    So, they should choose someone who resembles the character as Fleming wrote him. Simple. Why are we arguing this again?
    So, they should choose someone who resembles the character as Fleming wrote him. Simple. Why are we arguing this again?

It's the only consistent standard there is.

It's the only consistent standard there is.
    Of course it is.

Why should he need to pass as biologically male if the black actor doesn't need to pass as biologically white?

This is what I mean, it's all so arbitrary. One minute we're using the standard of "would it make a difference" and the next we switch to "as long as they pass as resembling the character fleming wrote" but no black actor resembles the character as fleming wrote him so we're back to square one. ~X(

Again, this is just the way I see it: because the two changes aren’t the same thing. You can depict him as black without it messing with the core of Bond’s appeal, the suave masculine power fantasy. People of different colours don’t look out of place in Bond’s high society world anymore, and if you cast the right person then men would still be wishing they were as cool as him, and women would still fancy him.

If you cast a trans actor and acknowledged him as trans now, then you would have to alter things and mess with that masculine power fantasy. His dynamics with other characters and how he’s percieved and treated couldn’t just be the same, or you’d be heightening the reality of it to the point that it doesn’t resemble our own at all anymore imo. If they didn’t alter those things, I think it’d be immersion breaking in the same way it would have been if they’d had a black Bond sat at that card table in DN. And let’s be honest, most of us don’t fancy trans people, you’d be ignoring conventional standards of sex appeal so much that the film wouldn’t have much of it to most of the audience. Which is another important part of Bond.

Maybe one day, trans people will be visible and accepted enough, and conventional beauty standards will have changed so much, that this isn’t true. And saying he was born a woman even though he’s a man will be as insignificant to Bond’s world, and the way he and the film functions, as saying he was born to black parents. But we won’t be there for a long time, if ever, so for now I don’t see the two changes as the same.
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 9,771
    @peter you once said uou can imagine anyone post craig so what made you change your tune?

And bullets for winter isnt that bad i like the title
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »
    @peter you once said uou can imagine anyone post craig so what made you change your tune?

And bullets for winter isnt that bad i like the title

Simply put: Sope made me excited by his charisma, charm, ruggedness, masculinity, vulnerability…. Whereas other actors just look like wet napkins compared to him (in most cases, although I think Mescal is one to watch out for too; a young man with talent, presence and oozes sex appeal).

Saying that, I don’t think Sope’ll be cast.

But he ticks all the boxes in what I personally would like in James Bond. He’s got it all. He’s one talented actor that has star charisma, and stands like a giant amongst the other “candidates” discussed here.

Again, this is just the way I see it: because the two changes aren’t the same thing. You can depict him as black without it messing with the core of Bond’s appeal, the suave masculine power fantasy. People of different colours don’t look out of place in Bond’s high society world anymore, and if you cast the right person then men would still be wishing they were as cool as him, and women would still fancy him.

If you cast a trans actor and acknowledged him as trans now, then you would have to alter things and mess with that masculine power fantasy. His dynamics with other characters and how he’s percieved and treated couldn’t just be the same, or you’d be heightening the reality of it to the point that it doesn’t resemble our own at all anymore imo. If they didn’t alter those things, I think it’d be immersion breaking in the same way it would have been if they’d had a black Bond sat at that card table in DN. And let’s be honest, most of us don’t fancy trans people, you’d be ignoring conventional standards of sex appeal so much that the film wouldn’t have much of it to most of the audience. Which is another important part of Bond.

Maybe one day, trans people will be visible and accepted enough, and conventional beauty standards will have changed so much, that this isn’t true. And saying he was born a woman even though he’s a man will be as insignificant to Bond’s world, and the way he and the film functions, as saying he was born to black parents. But we won’t be there for a long time, if ever, so for now I don’t see the two changes as the same.

You seem to be emphasising the difference a lot. Its not like they have been focused on the sexual aspect of bond for a while now, its mostly just kissing scenes. I can't think of any scenes from the past few craig films that wouldn't work with a trans actor in the role, can you? Also you would only be acknowledging them as trans in the same way you are acknowledging them as black. You aren't making role about the fact that they're black or trans. The upshot of what you're saying is basically that trans people aren't convincing at portraying their chosen gender on screen and shouldn't be cast in roles with any kind of sexual dimension to them so as to not offend the sensibilities of a largely cis audience.
  • cryan wrote: »

The last time he was brought up in this thread there was an extensive discussions on chins, and whether a not a weak-chinned man could play Bond. So hopefully this won't distract from the discussion of whether or not he can be trans...

He doesn't look too bad I guess.

stuartmartin.jpg