I've never noticed that before...

Comments

Who are the henchmen who beat Bond up at the beginning of OHMSS? are they agents of SPECTRE or Draco's men?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Who are the henchmen who beat Bond up at the beginning of OHMSS? are they agents of SPECTRE or Draco's men?

Draco's men, the agents of SPECTRE were all in Switzerland wearing orange colored jackets.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thinking about the beach fight, I realized that OHMSS features the only PTS without killing anyone.
    I find it funny that in Octopussy, when the Russians are having a meeting in the beginning of the film, they're all speaking English when they're supposed to be Russians.
    General Gogol, Orlov, the other Russian officers, they're all speaking English.

It's also the same case in Goldeneye, when there's a Russian meeting when Ourumov was presenting his report to the Minister, they're all speaking English 😅.

It's okay for them to speak in Russian (at least to make things more realistic and believable), with just English translations in the subtitles.

That's why as much as many people are bothered by the pure French speaking in the PTS of No Time To Die, it makes for a more realistic scene, because both Madeleine and her mother are French, of course, I do expect them to speak French and not English.

Just find it funny, that even in scene full of Russians, they're speaking English 😅.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not really something you haven’t noticed before is it @SIS_HQ , more of a general observation.
    There are many instances throughout the series, when foreign characters speak English.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Benny wrote: »
    Not really something you haven’t noticed before is it @SIS_HQ , more of a general observation.
    There are many instances throughout the series, when foreign characters speak English.

Yes, it's more of a general observation.
    Yes, but when they're talking to another foreign character with a different nationality/race, for example when they're talking to Bond, that's okay.

But in a scene full of characters with the same nationality for example in both the Russian meetings in Octopussy and Goldeneye, I find it funny that they're speaking English, I mean, they're all Russians in those scenes, so I think them speaking a Russian language would make it more realistic.

It's also the same in The Spy Who Loved Me in the briefing between Anya and General Gogol they're also speaking English despite of them being both Russians.

Think of in No Time To Die, the PTS scene, Madeleine and her mother are both French, so they speak French language, same when Madeleine was talking to Mathilde, she's also speaking French to her, but when Madeleine was talking to Bond, of course it's English, it makes things a bit realistic, at least for me.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited August 2023 Posts: 735
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Yes, but when they're talking to another foreign character with a different nationality/race, for example when they're talking to Bond, that's okay.

But in a scene full of characters with the same nationality for example in both the Russian meetings in Octopussy and Goldeneye, I find it funny that they're speaking English, I mean, they're all Russians in those scenes, so I think them speaking a Russian language would make it more realistic.

It's also the same in The Spy Who Loved Me in the briefing between Anya and General Gogol they're also speaking English despite of them being both Russians.

Think of in No Time To Die, the PTS scene, Madeleine and her mother are both French, so they speak French language, same when Madeleine was talking to Mathilde, she's also speaking French to her, but when Madeleine was talking to Bond, of course it's English, it makes things a bit realistic, at least for me.

Wow, wait till you see Dr. Zhivago, gonna blow your mind ... nothing but Russian characters, in Russia, speaking only English to each other.

Someone once said: the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

You know, I wonder, were Bond films ever dubbed into Russian? Indeed, what was the first Bond film to get a Russian release? Goldeneye perhaps?
    Feyador wrote: »
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Wow, wait till you see Dr. Zhivago, gonna blow your mind ... nothing but Russian characters, in Russia, speaking only English to each other.

Someone once said: the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

You know, I wonder, were Bond films ever dubbed into Russian? Indeed, what was the first Bond film to get a Russian release? Goldeneye perhaps?

That's the problem with the old movies (Dr. Zhivago, is it the one with Julie Christie? Yes, I haven't seen it yet), there's not much believability when it comes to those scenes, I think, that's where the modern films, at least excelled.

Although not all (I'm looking at you, Black Widow), but most of the modern movies of today do have foreign characters speaking in their native languages in some conversations (especially when both of them are the same nationality), I couldn't name them all, but I do watched several movies that did those (mainly action films).

As much as I disliked No Time To Die, the French dialogues there do really made it a bit realistic and believable (those scenes with Madeleine and her mother in the PTS, and the conversations between Madeleine and Mathilde, those felt a bit realistic and believable).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    A few things I noticed during the tuk tuk chase I hadn't seen before:

Sadruddin holding a cigarette between his middle and ring finger while showing Bond to his tuk tuk. Much like how Telly's Blofeld held his cigarette unusually.

When Vijay pops the tuk tuk up on two wheels, we see a cow chasing it.

Vijay smashes the tennis racquet over the thug's head, and then pushes him away, racquet still in place. Vijay loses his racquet. During the marketplace fight, Vijay is nowhere to be seen. Afterwards, he reappears to taxi Bond away, and upon reaching Q-Branch, we see Vijay has reacquired his broken racquet and put it back in the case. In short, it looks like Vijay went back for his racquet, leaving Bond to fight on his own, while risking his own life returning to the thugs in the crashed vehicle. Must've been one expensive racquet.

When Vijay drives the tuk tuk through the hidden entrance to Q-Branch (the paper poster of the dragon), the dragon's mouth is nearly closed. When the replacement poster slides down to conceal the torn one, the dragon is now cheekily poking its tongue out, much to Gobinda's annoyance. I hadn't noticed the first poster was different to the second. Great humour there.
    Ha. Very cool @QBranch , especially the one with the poster. I need to have a look.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The poster gag got a big laugh in the theatre when I saw it! Didn't notice all those little touches in the chase scene. OP is up next on my Bondathon!
  • At the end of DAD Bond and Jinx attempt to exit the plane and use the helicopter within. They open the rear release and two automobiles drop out.

A red car plummets to the ground way down below and after a few seconds a yellow model follows. Although later both are seen some 10, 15 feet apart nose down in mud. How did this occur when the plane was traveling at such high speed between disposal.
    At the end of DAD Bond and Jinx attempt to exit the plane and use the helicopter within. They open the rear release and two automobiles drop out.

A red car plummets to the ground way down below and after a few seconds a yellow model follows. Although later both are seen some 10, 15 feet apart nose down in mud. How did this occur when the plane was traveling at such high speed between disposal.

A film in which Bond is driving an invisible car, anything can happen.
  • In TND at the Hamburg media launch event, Henry Gupta tries to convince Elliott Carver his wife knows Bond from before or past times.

He shows a clip where Paris asks Bond if : 'do you still sleep with a gun under your pillow' etc, while Brosnan's Bond looks over a rail and surveys a crowd below.

However if you go back to the actual scene shortly earlier in the movie Bond is in a different position when asked the question. Not by any rail, or studying a crowd, but regarding her fixedly. Even her voice intonation of question varies.

edited September 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Watched TWINE, I've realized that in the third act when he knew that Elektra's dead, Renard may also be a greedy (and selfish) man.

Sure, he's hurt when he'd found out that Elektra's dead, but why to still continue the plan of inserting that Plutonium Rod into the reactor? Knowing that no one would benefit from it? For me, Renard would do it for himself, since there's no Elektra to benefit from the success of that plan, it's Renard who would handle that Business pipeline, and to the lesser extent, the King Industries (because the heiress was already dead), so the one who would benefit the Oil Monopolization was Renard.

He's also greedy, because if he's doing it for Elektra (and her wishes), when he knew that Elektra's dead, he should've killed Bond (as a revenge) and stop the plan (since he's not doing it for himself, but for Elektra), maybe have him kill Bond, set up a bomb to destroy that submarine and leave/escape.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Was he not going to die on the sub if his plan went smoothly?
    Yes Renard was dying to bring the plan to it's conclusion. I have always thought that unlike the dude from GF who gets locked in the safe with OddJob and Bond, Renard was willing to continue to die for Electra. He had no reason to live and was going to meet her in heaven.

There are some really interesting concepts in TWINE but it is almost too much plot for one movie and we have some un-finished or under developed loose ends as a result. The dynamic between Renard and Electra is an interesting one. The victim becomes the abuser. How she treats him so cruelly when we can only imagine how cruelly he must have treated her in captivity.

Back to your observation, yes I think Renard was dying and prepared to die regardless of Electra being alive or not.
    thedove wrote: »
    Yes Renard was dying to bring the plan to it's conclusion. I have always thought that unlike the dude from GF who gets locked in the safe with OddJob and Bond, Renard was willing to continue to die for Electra. He had no reason to live and was going to meet her in heaven.

Back to your observation, yes I think Renard was dying and prepared to die regardless of Electra being alive or not.

But again, why to still put the plutonium rod to the reactor? Knowing that Elektra's dead, so no one would've benefit from the success of it? Unless, Renard was going use it to his own interests?

If he's bringing the plan to its conclusion, then it didn't makes sense, because if he's doing it as a suicide mission, then who would've benefit from it? So, if the plan succeed and Renard died, there would be a monopoly on the Oil/Pipelines, so that's all? Who would benefit from it? Bond? Other staffs of the King Industries? Christmas Jones?

Doesn't makes sense, there's should be a motivation behind the plan, unless again, he's doing it for his own gain? To which would've make more sense.

Like it the plan succeeded, Renard would have more gain in terms of the Oil Pipelines.
  • This from script of world is not enough @SIS_HQ
    - Victor Zokas, a.k.a...
    - Renard, the anarchist.

He was operating
    in Moscow in 1996.

Pyongyang, North
    Korea, before that.

And he's been spotted in
    Afghanistan, Bosnia, Iraq, Iran,

Beirut and Cambodia.

- All the romantic vacation spots.
    - His only goal is chaos.

Line in film His only goal is chaos. Renard does not care. He not greedy. He already is dying. He is just bad. As has been told earlier in film.
    Great catch @Sir_Miles_Messervy that does explain a lot. I can imagine him thinking of the instability this would cause the oil market and the world if it was successful. He was at peace with dying and whether Electra was alive or not, some chaos would indeed come from their plot.
    Is it me or Mr. Kil and Gabor are a bit lookalike? Or maybe because both of them have long hair? 😅
  • Is this not racist for the MI6 community. Just because both actors are being colored in skin.
    Also why make comment like this. For me is rude and offend.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 4,398
    They also look a bit similar to me. This has nothing to do with racism. But it is a fact, that for example chinese people look often a bit similar for Europeans. (And Europeans look mire similar to Chinese people than people from their country. And the same reason could be here.
  • THIS ALSO OFFENDING I am not liking how people are making comment.
    Is this not racist for the MI6 community. Just because both actors are being colored in skin.
    Also why make comment like this. For me is rude and offend.

I'm just asking because as I'm having a marathon of the Brosnan Era, I've noticed that Gabor and Mr. Kil are a bit lookalike, and I've asked here if I was the only one, just to confirm because maybe I'm just being delusional.

There's nothing wrong in it, I'd just liked to hear the side and the opinion of this forum.
    They also look a bit similar to me. This has nothing to do with racism. But it is a fact, that for example chinese people look often a bit similar for Europeans. (And Europeans look mire similar to Chinese people than people from their country. And the same reason could be here.

Thanks, yes, or maybe because it's in the way EON executed them that way, again,nothing bad in there, just realizing that I'm not alone in noticing that.
    THIS ALSO OFFENDING I am not liking how people are making comment.

No one's making a comment in here, let alone writing bad or offensive words towards such people, none of us bullying them, it's a matter of notice, hence, the title of this thread.

Then wait till you see the comments in Who should/could be a Bond Actor, I'm sure you would've likely to get offended by some comments in there.
  • I am being sorry for my commenting. racist is for me is the most bad. Are you being from europe @SIS_HQ or mabye USA
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Sure, I've made connections between the two before: they both come from South Pacific Island nations and thus of similar stature. Both second level henchmen without much to say or do. Fiji and NZ would be great places for Bond to visit.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Some people look alike. I don't think anyone, in this context, is or meant to be racist.
    edited October 2023 Posts: 3,391
    SPECTRE is a remake of Goldeneye:

(Many people say it's a remake of OHMSS, but for me, it had more similarities with Goldeneye).

* A man from Bond's past comes back to haunt him (the dead is alive), Blofeld and Trevelyan, and both are also close to Bond (Blofeld was his step brother, and Trevelyan was his friend).

* Both are leader of a criminal syndicates: SPECTRE and Janus.

* The dynamic of Bond and Bond Girl:
    Madeleine questioning Bond's psyche and job, that train dinner scene for example (similar to how Natalya questioning Bond's psyche and job, that beach scene in particular).
    Bond teaching Madeleine how to assemble a gun (similar to how Bond teaching Natalya how to hold a gun).

* Also Both Bond Girls distrusted Bond for the whole film, quite antagonistic towards him.

* Both Bond Girls that got kidnapped by the main villain's men: Madeleine got kidnapped by Mr. Hinx and his men in Austria, Natalya got kidnapped by General Ourumov and his men in Russia, also both are taken inside the car, also Bond chased them using unusual vehicles: Tank/Plane.

* Both main villains that have accomplices that works in the Government (General Ourumov and Max Denbigh).

* Both plots are targeting London (Nine Eyes and the Goldeneye Satellite).

* Both films where M was firstly introduced and confronted Bond.
    Some Bond villains loved Napoleon Bonaparte:

In A View To A Kill, when Bond entered Zorin's room in Chateau in France, there's a portrait of Napoleon in there.

Of course in The Living Daylights, Napoleon Bonaparte is one of the icons whom Brad Whittaker idolized.