I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    In Majesty’s when Bond has the fistfight in his suite at the hotel near the beginning, he tosses the henchman to the ground. Something looks weird about the floor underneath the rugs, its hardwood but looks like covered in some sort of plastic matting? Was it there for decor purposes or to help break a fall? Definitely looks strange during the frame by frame and you can even hear it slightly crinkle in the audio when volume is turned up.
    Interesting! I've always liked that scene, but have never once noticed this. Something to look for the next time I watch OHMSS.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Russia is getting around to replacing what I believe to be the jet plane featured in the opening of Tomorrow Never Dies. https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russias-new-jet-trainer-design-is-a-1990s-throwback
  • GBFGBF
    edited January 9 Posts: 3,195
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it wasn't until my recent Bondathon that I noticed a rare parallel between Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only. I'm not sure if this is super obvious, but the submarine scene in FYEO is very similar to the trip to the space station in Moonraker. It's not just the yellow suits, the setting (Bond with the Bond girl in a narrow capsule), but also the dramatic score and Bond being the first to point at the target.

It's bizarre when you consider that these two films are very different in many categories and that two different directors were responsible for them.
    My understanding is that genius miniature effects man Derek Meddings was responsible for both FYEO and MR. Hence the similarities between the shots you mentioned.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Plus due to Carole Bouquet not being able to swim all the "underwater" with her and Bond wasn't really underwater. Camera tricks to make it look like it.
  • Jwview008Jwview008 Ohio
    The cable pulling the rolls into the water in AVTAK
  • Jwview008Jwview008 Ohio
    In TMWTGG just before the corkscrew jump they go over a bridge and cause a pedestrian’s hat to fly off into the water
  • GBFGBF
    thedove wrote: »
    Plus due to Carole Bouquet not being able to swim all the "underwater" with her and Bond wasn't really underwater. Camera tricks to make it look like it.

That's true and I guess Moore and Chiles weren't in space by filming that scene in Moonraker :-) So there is another similarity...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I can't believe I didn't know before that this was the same lift.

v5if7h2rzwv61.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=daba73dc5a970a83467cdd5b4391b1f8136fcbfd
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mtm wrote: »
    I can't believe I didn't know before that this was the same lift.

v5if7h2rzwv61.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=daba73dc5a970a83467cdd5b4391b1f8136fcbfd

I didn't either but it makes sense as both scenes were filmed in Mexico.
    We need a "lifts of James Bond" thread! LOL!

Seriously, the lift or elevator, was never just an elevator with Bond. From LTK and SP. But look at the lift in DAF in the Whyte House. The lift where the fight in DAF takes place. I loved the lift in Spy that has a futuristic look about it.
  • edited February 4 Posts: 17,293
    Speaking of lift(ing): I've been watching the first series of Special Branch (1969-1970 and 1973-1974) recently, finishing the final episode of the first season earlier tonight. One detail I couldn't help but notice was the fact that not only does one of the sets feature the same kind of artwork we see at Piz Gloria in OHMSS and the oil platform in DAF. It also features the same type of sofa Tiffany Case is seen lounging in.

Did the set decorators happen to watch this episode back in late 1969, only to search out the same items for DAF less than two years later?
    KzIaVAT.png
    S2u8FE1.jpg

vd7Wibo.png
    5Zkyauv.png
    Diamonds-Are-Forever-717.jpg
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jeez @Torgeirtrap you have sharper eyes than Bond does in TB!
    Great spot. :-bd
    Speaking of lift(ing): I've been watching the first series of Special Branch (1969-1970 and 1973-1974) recently, finishing the final episode of the first season earlier tonight. One detail I couldn't help but notice was the fact that not only does one of the sets feature the same kind of artwork we see at Piz Gloria in OHMSS and the oil platform in DAF. It also features the same type of sofa Tiffany Case is seen lounging in.

Did the set decorators happen to watch this episode back in late 1969, only to search out the same items for DAF less than two years later?
    KzIaVAT.png
    S2u8FE1.jpg

vd7Wibo.png
    5Zkyauv.png

Fascinating. Definitely some leftover studio set pieces or something, who knows. I looked up the (nine) production designers listed on IMDB for the series and none of them seem to have credited crossover with Diamonds Are Forever specifically. I bet Bond got a discount on a used set, to be honest.

I do like the hint of the Japan flag behind "Blofeld" as the actor was in YOLT.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada

KzIaVAT.png
    S2u8FE1.jpg

vd7Wibo.png
    5Zkyauv.png
    Brilliantly spotted @Torgeirtrap !

It looks like Japanese flag-inspired pop art (who knew Blofeld was a fan).

Do we rule it out as having appeared in YOLT?
    https://x.com/metaplexmovies/status/1755097970242982284?s=20

I believe I've heard stories that the motorcycle chase in TND was a relatively late addition to the script, however I wonder if that's true, because is it not just a direct reference to the stunt that Michelle Yeoh was known for, which is jumping a live bike onto a live train?

Or was it really just a coincidence they went back to bike jumping for her Bond movie?
  • edited February 10 Posts: 17,293
    Benny wrote: »
    Jeez @Torgeirtrap you have sharper eyes than Bond does in TB!
    Great spot. :-bd

I blame having seen DAF many, many times! :))
    LucknFate wrote: »

KzIaVAT.png
    S2u8FE1.jpg

vd7Wibo.png
    5Zkyauv.png

Fascinating. Definitely some leftover studio set pieces or something, who knows. I looked up the (nine) production designers listed on IMDB for the series and none of them seem to have credited crossover with Diamonds Are Forever specifically. I bet Bond got a discount on a used set, to be honest.

I do like the hint of the Japan flag behind "Blofeld" as the actor was in YOLT.

Watching several 1960's tv shows, like ITC productions for example, artwork or other small pieces of interior tend to pop up which are also part of Bond movie sets. This is the first time I've noticed this on Special Branch though, which was a Thames Television/ ITV show. I guess all of these productions sourced their interior from the same places.

The Japan flag artwork is a nice bit of continuity – first and foremost between two Bond films following each other, featuring the same villain – but also, like you mention, the fact that Charles Gray also featured in a Bond film which takes place in Japan. Never really thought about this piece of trivia before.
    Feyador wrote: »

KzIaVAT.png
    S2u8FE1.jpg

vd7Wibo.png
    5Zkyauv.png
    Brilliantly spotted @Torgeirtrap !

It looks like Japanese flag-inspired pop art (who knew Blofeld was a fan).

Do we rule it out as having appeared in YOLT?

It's been a while since I last watched YOLT, so I can't be sure. Will definitely look for the artwork next time around!
    LucknFate wrote: »
    https://x.com/metaplexmovies/status/1755097970242982284?s=20

I believe I've heard stories that the motorcycle chase in TND was a relatively late addition to the script, however I wonder if that's true, because is it not just a direct reference to the stunt that Michelle Yeoh was known for, which is jumping a live bike onto a live train?

Or was it really just a coincidence they went back to bike jumping for her Bond movie?

That clip made me think of the train sequence in SF!

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 15 Posts: 8,087
    Technically speaking, once Scaramanga has been dispatched what is the threat of the movie supposed to be? Bond and Mary are both free, all they have to do is get off the island, bond wants the solex, but if he can't get it in time nothing evil happens, so he could just say "bummer" and then leave.
    Much like NTTD the ending of TMWTGG is a limp end to a somewhat enjoyable film. The Solex was always a secondary plot point and not the main driver of the film. You are correct the only thing at the end of the movie was or Bond to leave the island. I suppose the tanks exploding add to the drama or at least were inserted to add to the drama but really once Scaramanga is dead there is nothing left for Bond to achieve.
    I believe it was @mtm on Twitter who pointed this out, but is the Campbell character supposed to be an MI6 agent or one of Draco's men? It seems in the book it's the former, in the movie it's alluded to be the latter.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I always assumed MI6. What in the film makes you think otherwise?
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited February 15 Posts: 1,691
    Never thought about it! But yeah, he helps Bond before M agrees to allow the whole Bray disguise idea. And Campbell is standing at a Draco site when he sends the copier over.
    I assumed that Bond took initiative and contacted the Station S and asked for some down low help. But I suppose the theory that he works for Draco makes sense too. I have never understood why he was climbing to see Bond. Clearly he knows where Bond is, all he gains is blowing Bond's cover or alerting Blofeld that the authorities are after him. Either way it makes no logical sense for Campbell to climb up to see Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 15 Posts: 14,961
    thedove wrote: »
    I assumed that Bond took initiative and contacted the Station S and asked for some down low help. But I suppose the theory that he works for Draco makes sense too. I have never understood why he was climbing to see Bond. Clearly he knows where Bond is, all he gains is blowing Bond's cover or alerting Blofeld that the authorities are after him. Either way it makes no logical sense for Campbell to climb up to see Bond.

Tracy also knows to find Bond in Piz Gloria- if Draco had sent Campbell to follow Bond and he had reported back (and didn't know about the plan to go in disguised as Bray) that would make it all make slightly more sense.

It's just for fun: I think the filmmakers probably intended him to be MI6, but it does almost fit better the other way. Before anyone attacks, it's just lighthearted and I don't think I'm right or anyone else is wrong.
  • I’ve always assumed Campbell to be working for Draco personally, nice to see some other people are thinking the same!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited February 16 Posts: 3,391
    I'm starting to assume the same that Campbell works for Draco, remember, MI6 had gone tired and impatient regarding of Bond's investigation of Blofeld, so Bond went to Draco for help, I think this is the only film where he'd worked without any backup from MI6 (LTK has Q on the field, at least), sure he'd presented the progress of his investigation regarding Blofeld at M's house, but I think that's not enough to convince M to fully trust Bond into the mission, so Bond continued to work with the help of Draco's men.

It's Draco who had gave him information on Blofeld's whereabouts, so, it's expected that he would send a man of his to help Bond on his mission, as long as Bond would do his share as part of the deal of course: to marry Tracy 😉.

Although, as it is, the film intended him to be working for MI6, but him working for Draco makes more sense, not even the MI6 was involved in the Piz Gloria attack.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited February 16 Posts: 735
    In the book Bond recognizes Campbell as an ex-navy friend from "the service," whom he surmises was following a lead of his own. I see no reason to think differently about the movie, except Campbell must have been assigned to him before the safe job. Anyway, "Campbell" doesn't strike me at all as Corsican Mafia (notoriously clan oriented) ....

PS MI6 never comes up in the novels. What was its first utterance in the movies? Brosnan era? In OHMSS Fleming does refer directly to "SIS" [Secret Intelligence Service], a much used catchall (in the press, for instance) for what was, I think, publicly known only later as MI6.

Hence ... On Her Majesty's Secret [Intelligence] Service
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited February 16 Posts: 3,391
    Feyador wrote: »
    In the book Bond recognizes Campbell as a friend from "the service," whom he surmises was following a lead of his own. I see no reason think differently about the movie.

PS Nobody would have called it MI6. I'm pretty sure it never comes up in the novels. What was its first utterance in the movies? Brosnan era? In OHMSS Fleming does refer to SIS [Secret Intelligence Services], a catchall for what was publicly known only later as MI5/6. Hence ... On Her Majesty's Secret Service

You may have a point, well, whatever it is, the film clearly indicates it that he's a British agent too, like what I've said:
    Although, as it is, the film intended him to be working for MI6, but him working for Draco makes more sense, not even the MI6 was involved in the Piz Gloria attack.

But yes, it's clear he's a British Agent, that's what the film was intended him to be.

People liked to make speculations, and it's a bit interesting to consider things.

Anyway, regarding MI6/SIS, that's what people generally called the British Intelligence in real life, most people were familiar with it being called MI6, not just in James Bond, but in real life as well, although SIS is the most appropriate way to call it, but MI6 is the first name of that institution (there's even MI5, but it's their Local Intelligence Security), it's easy to call it MI6, to make it specific.