Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

As a tribute :

Mathis1 wrote: »
    R.I.P. Alan Arkin...he starred in so many other movies, most famously 'Catch-22'

He was perfectly cast as Yossarian in Catch 22. Arkin was made to play that character, even if the movie didn't measure up to the book.

CRAP! My favorite Inspector Clouseau. Yes, I preferred Arkin to Peter Sellers.
    Wonderful actor with countless movies I quote him from.
    GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, THE ROCKETEER, etc
    Another legend gone.
    :(
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Dr. Oatman, please pick up! Pick up!

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    .R. I. P. Alan Arkin great actor.
    Léon Gautier, the last surviving member of the 177 French commandos who landed in Normandy on D-Day, has passed away, aged 100 years old.

https://apnews.com/article/dday-french-commando-leon-gautier-7689361aae215bbcc03cd48d514ef939

As a tribute, the first part of the assault by the French commandos in The Longest Day :

RIP Denise Bombardier. Whatever people may have thought of her (and I often disagreed with her), she was a great intellectual and old school feminist. She also rightly denounced sex predator Gabriel Matzneff, back in the days when he was a revered member of the French literary world.
    https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2023-07-04/denise-bombardier-s-eteint-a-82-ans/on-perd-une-voix-unique.php
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Jane Birkin, Anglo-French singer/actor (and formerly John Barry's wife for three years) died at the age of 76 in Paris.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP Jane.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Another 60s Icon has left us.
    RIP Jane. =((

Jane-Birkin-pictured-alongside-her-first-husband-John-Barry-2649956.jpg?r=1599142238613
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RIP Jane. I didn't know until reading of her passing that her daughter was Charlotte Gainsbourg. I finally saw her in Lux Aeterna the other night and she was incredible in it as always.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I don't know if this is behind a paywall for most of you, but here is the obit from the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/16/style/jane-birkin-birkin-bag-style-icon.html
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Her brother, Andrew, was a location scout and an AD on 2001: A Space Odyssey. He came up with the background that's used for the first part of the film, and for some of the footage from the psychedelic sequence. He's also directed a couple of films (including Burning Secret, which was a project that Kubrick had previously considered) in addition to writing scripts for Jacques Demy, Jean-Jacques Annaud (The Name of the Rose) or Luc Besson.

Jane was truly iconic in France, through her collaborations and relationship with Gainsbourg, as well as on her own, as a singer and an actress. She did comedy, drama, noir, perfectly comfortable in each genre.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    RIP Jane, an icon on both sides of the Channel.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 6,740
    Anybody seen that comedy she made with Pierre Richard? I'd like to.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 1,640
    *****50 anniversary Bruce Lee*****

premiered the day before he died in the UK , brit fans had never seen BL before
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    96 that is a good life, R.I.P. Tony Bennet.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He was ill with Alzheimer’s these last few years, but amazingly, at least for a while, it seemed this disease didn’t affect him when he got in front of the piano to sing (I believe it was with Anderson Cooper interviewing him, that they showed this). It was magical to see. A truly wonderful artist.
    As the German Army was pushed back to its homeland, Benedetto and his company saw bitter fighting in cold winter conditions, often hunkering down in foxholes as German 88 mm guns fired on them.[25] At the end of March, they crossed the Rhine and entered Germany, engaging in dangerous house-to-house, town-after-town fighting to clean out German soldiers;[25] during the first week of April, they crossed the Kocher River, and by the end of the month reached the Danube.[26] During his time in combat, Benedetto narrowly escaped death several times.[9] The experience made him a pacifist;[9] he would later write, "Anybody who thinks that war is romantic obviously hasn't gone through one,"[24] and later say, "It was a nightmare that's permanent. I just said, 'This is not life. This is not life.'"[27] At the war's conclusion he was involved in the liberation of the Kaufering concentration camp, a subcamp of Dachau, near Landsberg, where some American prisoners of war from the 63rd Division had also been held.[26] He later wrote in his autobiography that "I saw things no human being should ever have to see."[

• Having grown up in the San Francisco Bay area, this song is in my list of all time favorites. I got to see Tony sing it once live... when the SF Bay Bridge was repaired and re-opened after partially collapsing in the big earthquake of 1989, the public was invited onto the bridge for a re-opening ceremony. The mayors of Oakland and San Francisco spoke briefly... and Tony sang The Song for us. I was there, of course. It's a memory that will live with me forever. Rest in Peace, Tony... you gave us a song that will last through the ages!
    Actress Josephine Chaplin, daughter of Charlie Chaplin, has passed away:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/josephine-chaplin-dead-charlie-chaplin-daughter-actress-1235444916/
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    One of life’s great mysteries is how we grow attached to a public figure – when we are too young to really understand. For me Tony Bennett’s “I Left My Heart in San Francisco” became a near obsession when I was about 5 or 6 years of age.

Why?

Well, as a child I thought suspension bridges were the most majestic things I had ever seen (an opinion that I still hold BTW) and I even use to build “Lego” versions over the kitchen sink for my little Matchbox cars. The fact that the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which connects Brooklyn and Staten Island here in New York, had just opened a few years before, probably had a lot to do with this.

One day, in going through my mother’s LP collection I came across this (or a LP cover like it) and I was hooked. What I voice!
    220px-ILeftMyHeartInSanFranciscoLP.jpg

While, perhaps, not as celebrated like fellow vocalists Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin, Mr. Bennett became “the moment” for me. And that moment lasted for years and years.

RIP Mr. Tony Bennett, and thanks for helping me build that bridge.
    I must admit I missed out on Tony Bennett for most of his career (while knowing most of the other jazz singers and crooners of that period), but only discovered him when I read about his collaboration with Lady Gaga (a person that I tried to ignore because of her stupid pseudonym). Turns out I bought one of their joint albums (Cheek to Cheek), and it actually contains great pieces of music. RIP, Tony. Right on, Lady.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    RIP Tony Bennett.

One of the famous singers, I may not be familiar with his music, but i'm familiar with his name, that's how popular he is.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RIP to the legendary Tony Bennett
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Saddened to hear of the death today of the veteran BBC newsreader and journalist George Alagiah at the age of 67. He had sadly been suffering from cancer for the last few years.
    R.I.P Football Legend Trevor Francis 69, the first British £1 Million player.

skysports-trevor-francis-nottingham_6228812.jpg?20230724124908
    I don't really know anything about or from her since "Nothing Compares To You" (or however it is spelled), and she seems to have had several attempts at suicide before. Her son "succeeded" doing it at 17. It's really a tragic family situation, whichever way you look at it. May she rest in peace, according to what her most recent belief was.