Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    One of a kind, R. I. P. Tina Turner.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I commented on the "Bond family" thread, where this has also been posted. I'm truly devastated.
    RIP. Incredible voice.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Sad to hear of the death of Tuna Turner. She brought the Bond sound back with GoldenEye and had the stature and gravitas to make it work. Simply the Best.
    Rip Tina one of the best bond songs
  • Some of us think of "GoldenEye" when we hear the name of Tina Turner. Not me. I think of this song. Ike & Tina Turner took "Proud Mary" from John Fogarty & made it their own. Nice....and......
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,270

Great track, one of my favourites of Tina's.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Very sad news to wake up to. Tina Turner was a true rock star, a massively talented singer and beloved by many.
    RIP
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    RIP Tina Turner. You were simply the Best!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    RIP Tina Turner, listening to Great Spirits one of my favorites, maybe my most favorite of them all, it's a theme song from Brother Bear, and yes as a Bond fan, there's Goldeneye, but Great Spirits is really my favorite song of hers.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Some of us think of "GoldenEye" when we hear the name of Tina Turner. Not me. I think of this song. Ike & Tina Turner took "Proud Mary" from John Fogarty & made it their own.

I'm not taking away anything from Ike and Tina Turner when I note that they borrowed their cover's arrangement from the version of "Proud Mary" produced by Phil Spector for the Checkmates, which was arranged by Spector and Perry Botkin Jr.:

But what Spector and the Checkmates didn't have to make the song fully theirs was Tina Turner. Her fiery, ecstatic vocals made the song her property.
    R.I.P. Tina Turner.. Legend!
  • Revelator wrote: »
    Some of us think of "GoldenEye" when we hear the name of Tina Turner. Not me. I think of this song. Ike & Tina Turner took "Proud Mary" from John Fogarty & made it their own.

I'm not taking away anything from Ike and Tina Turner when I note that they borrowed their cover's arrangement from the version of "Proud Mary" produced by Phil Spector for the Checkmates, which was arranged by Spector and Perry Botkin Jr.:

But what Spector and the Checkmates didn't have to make the song fully theirs was Tina Turner. Her fiery, ecstatic vocals made the song her property.

I have to admit I'd never even heard the Checkmates' version of this song until now. Thanks for the info!
    Michel Côté died, aged 72. That's way too young. Maybe my favourite Québec, both great at comedies and dramas. Better known internationally for C.R.A.Z.Y., for me he will always be Pierre Gauthier from the crime drama Omerta: la loi du silence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12136735/Michel-Cote-died-age-72.html
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sad to hear of the passing of actor Peter Simonischek today. I've been rewatching clips from Toni Erdmann all this week. He was a brilliant performer.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/peter-simonischek-dead-toni-erdmann-actor-was-76-1235382859/
    Legendary (and that word is not usurped) songwriter Cynthia Weill, who passed away, aged 82.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65791188

With her husband Barry Mann, she wrote so many great songs that I could barely choose just one. But here's one :

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    'Girl from Ipanema' singer Astrud Gilberto dead at 83

I have the Stan Getz album, and listened to it quite a few times. Time to listen to it again, methinks.

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg
  • Some things you had to experience during their moment in order to really appreciate them. One such experience is the height of 007 frenzy in the early-to-mid sixties. I suspect Astrud Gilberto's vocals on "The Girl from Ipanema" is another such "had-to-be-there" moment. The epitome of cool circa 1964.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Some things you had to experience during their moment in order to really appreciate them. One such experience is the height of 007 frenzy in the early-to-mid sixties. I suspect Astrud Gilberto's vocals on "The Girl from Ipanema" is another such "had-to-be-there" moment. The epitome of cool circa 1964.

Well put @BeatlesSansEarmuffs. It's hard for younger people to appreciate (perhaps) but there was a time when having a number one song meant millions in sales and likely cross-cultural appeal. Today? Not so much IMO

I remember Astrud Gilberto as a pre-teen listening to Am radio in the 1960s. And even then, I thought her cool and somewhat detached vocals were so dreamy. Naturally, I thought the song was about her (LOL), and only years later did I learn the story behind the recording.

RIP Ms. Gilberto.
    sheikytitlejpeg.jpg
    R. I. P. Wrestling Legend The Iron Sheik 81.
    R. I. P. Astrud Gilberto great song I have only heard her version few times. As a huge Sinatra fan I listen to his version of The Girl from Ipanema often.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Quoting the New York Times:

"George Winston, who during decades when pop and rock dominated the musical landscape became a best-selling musician by playing soothing piano instrumentals in a style that was often described as new age but that he liked to call “rural folk piano,” died on Sunday in Williamsport, Pa. He was 74. ... His publicist, Jesse Cutler, said the cause was cancer."

I have loved his music for 30+ years, especially for relaxation, I admit. He's among my chill-out heroes which I turn on (e.g.) when my wife and I use our sauna. But his "Christmas" and "Winter Into Spring" albums are also a constant among the "seasonal" music we listen to. George gave us a lot of joy, and I mourn his passing.
    sheikytitlejpeg.jpg

:(

Very important wrestler in 80s era , certainly in Hogans career
    Tracy wrote: »
    sheikytitlejpeg.jpg

:(

Very important wrestler in 80s era , certainly in Hogans career

I recall a particular urban legend regarding The Iron Sheik and Hogan. I watched wrestling as a kid in the 80's and then 90's great memory's that I often revisit.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RIP Treat Williams
    edited June 2023 Posts: 23,270
    Just heard about Treat Williams very sad, I am a fan of his movies especially The Phantom...

the-phantom-treat-williams.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1280
    R.I.P.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    RIP Ms Gilberto

Being a huge bossa nova fan, I absolutely adored her voice. One of the things I'm my parents very grateful for, is introducing me to something like bossa nova at a very young age.