Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    LucknFate wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Apologies for the random thought, but I just saw someone else asking the question if Bond films should be set in period in the 50s, and it made me wonder why you don’t see people asking for superhero films to be set when the characters were originally conceived (although I’m sure every question has been asked on the MCU forums!). A Spider Man film set in the 60s could be pretty cool.
    Pretty much the only one you see is the 90s/2000s Superman and Batman cartoons being vaguely 30s/40s styled.

Some have argued that the upcoming Fantastic Four should/will be backdated to the 1960s. Or the characters will come from a 1960s-like universe.

That would be cool, but is very unlikely.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The FF do seem the most 60s out of the lot of them for some reason, so I could certainly see it working quite nicely.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The FF do seem the most 60s out of the lot of them for some reason, so I could certainly see it working quite nicely.

Interesting, I feel the same. I wonder what it is about add that makes them most suited for a 60’s setting?
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,450
    talos7 wrote: »

Interesting, I feel the same. I wonder what it is about add that makes them most suited for a 60’s setting?

I think the joke is that they are the literal nuclear family, after the space accident. But it's a team that's also a family, and it's very literal. The sparky hot-headed one lights on fire. The tough guy is a rock. The smart one can literally reach conclusions. The lovely woman can escape by turning invisible. It's very on the nose and straightforward and fun. And the main? character is a scientist, which was like every 60s hero and villain. But it's mostly the space stuff probably.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I really enjoyed X-Men First Class and thought it did a great job of conveying the time period. I thought the 70's X-Men was also well crafted and developed. I had trouble making it through the one set in the 80's. I can't comment on that one.

As for basing Super-Hero movies in the time period or different time periods. If it's part of the story then fill your boots. Lets not do it as a cheap way to make people interested in a film or plot.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    One nice thing about the DC Animated films is that they can do projects like this that depict the Justice League of the Golden Age comics of 1938-1956.

MV5BNTU5NzM0NTU0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTEyNzAwNzE@._V1_.jpg

If Eon wanted to do something like that as side projects for Amazon that would be an interesting route to take. There would have to be quality control by someone that Eon would trust, of course.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 997
    One nice thing about the DC Animated films is that they can do projects like this that depict the Justice League of the Golden Age comics of 1938-1956.

MV5BNTU5NzM0NTU0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTEyNzAwNzE@._V1_.jpg

If Eon wanted to do something like that as side projects for Amazon that would be an interesting route to take. There would have to be quality control by someone that Eon would trust, of course.

Imagine the potential of Marvel series and films set in different time periods.

Marvels with Phillip Sheldon

A mockumentary series that accounts the stories of the Marvel heroes from a historical point of view.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Marvel Studios' The Marvels | Official Trailer

It's never a good sign when the gimmick has already worn thin in a trailer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Superheroes innit, but this has the same problem as Justice League doesn't it? In that why would someone as powerful as Superman or Captain Marvel need to team up with anyone?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Superheroes innit, but this has the same problem as Justice League doesn't it? In that why would someone as powerful as Superman or Captain Marvel need to team up with anyone?

Presumably because switching places with one another every time they use their powers would be just a tad annoying, so they work together untangle their powers. Stronger together, weaker apart.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 15,115
    Yeah very true, although I feel like they must untangle themselves reasonably early in the film otherwise they can't use their powers and it would get a bit repetitive.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Wasn't there a fight scene in one of the teasers showing them working together using each others powers?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    i just watched the Dungeons & Dragons film, and it's like a Marvel film but done right. People with superpowers and fight scenes, but the characters are human, the jokes land, and the emotional beats really hit home. If Marvel haven't already tapped up the makers of this I'd be amazed. It's very, very good.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    i just watched the Dungeons & Dragons film, and it's like a Marvel film but done right. People with superpowers and fight scenes, but the characters are human, the jokes land, and the emotional beats really hit home. If Marvel haven't already tapped up the makers of this I'd be amazed. It's very, very good.

i was thinking about renting Dungeons & Dragons, if I remember correctly I heard there are some decent practical sets/stunts in this film?

The main problem with The Marvels, IMHO, is that you may have to have seen two series on Disney + in order to fully understand it. That's fine if you have Disney +, but I don't. I hope everyone involved will be able to bypass that little hiccup, but I have my doubts.

Well, Superman might be very powerful and almost invulnerable, but he's not invincible, for one. For example, he's susceptible to magic, and might need somebody like Zatanna to fight magic-based villains. Then, there is safety in numbers, in case of things like alien invasions and stuff. Then, other heroes have other specialities that Superman clearly doesn't have (the mind of Batman, the versatility of the Martian Manhunter, Zatanna's experience and practice of magic, etc.) or informations that he doesn't have either. So, there are a lot of reasons for Superman to team up with other heroes. And the same applies to Captain Marvel (all of them).
    Gerard wrote: »
    The main problem with The Marvels, IMHO, is that you may have to have seen two series on Disney + in order to fully understand it. That's fine if you have Disney +, but I don't. I hope everyone involved will be able to bypass that little hiccup, but I have my doubts.

I don’t think THE MARVELS is following up any plot threads from those two shows. They’re just where Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan were introduced as characters. If THE MARVELS does things correctly, they’ll have brief reintroductions to speed up audiences on who they are and then move onto the main story.
    the-marvels-movie-poster-900x837.jpg

How can this be an official poster yet look like something out of PowerPoint?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Wow, Kamala's outfit there is absolutely hideous. Is that what she looks like in the comics?
    Wow, Kamala's outfit there is absolutely hideous. Is that what she looks like in the comics?

IVX_Vol_1_3_Inhumans_Variant_Textless.jpg
    Kinda, but yep.
    I liked her TV show outfit better.

Kinda, but yep.

Not anymore : she died, was reborn, and will join the New Mutants shortly :

Ms_Marvel_New_Mutant_Design_Sheet.jpg
    [DELETED]
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 15,115

Kinda, but yep.

Yikes. It's good that she's not in her pants like most superheroes, but it's also like she's got a tabard on.

mo7w7bi7ytz6qshigo7o.jpg

The film version manages to be even worse. The sort of hijab-esque scarf is nice.
    the-marvels-movie-poster-900x837.jpg

How can this be an official poster yet look like something out of PowerPoint?

God.That movie is going to flop hard.It’s really saying something that despite the financial success of Captain Marvel,they didn’t give her a true solo sequel.Being released between Infinity War and Endgame is the only reason anyone watched that film.

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

Considering I fell out of love with the first season by the time it ended, and haven't enjoyed any Marvel properties (except Spiderverse) since, this actually looks pretty good.
    LucknFate wrote: »

Considering I fell out of love with the first season by the time it ended, and haven't enjoyed any Marvel properties (except Spiderverse) since, this actually looks pretty good.

The first season of LOKI to me is the only Marvel show that Disney + has produced that I thought was OK, Disney Marvel really are on life support at this point. I have stopped rushing to watch MCU films and skipped a few of them through lack of interest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah the last Ant Man film was an incredibly low energy effort. They really are just coasting now. I was amazed to see it was directed by the same guy who made the other Ant Mans.
    As I said above, if you want to watch a good Marvel film, watch Dungeons and Dragons. It's everything they should be.
    On the other hand, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was really, really good. In fact, it's my second favourite Marvel movie, after Captain America : The Winter Soldier.
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is great and its one of a few anomalies from phase 4 and 5 that is actually good.

GOTG and Captain America all six films are my favorites from the MCU.