How do you listen to music?

Comments

Ended up getting the Sonos One after work today. Very easy to set up; took me less than five minutes to take the speaker out of the box until I had registered a Sonos user on the app and have music playing out of it. It did take a bit more time to have the Google Assistant up and running on it, as for whatever reason, Google didn't identify that I had a Sonos account… It sorted itself out on the third try, which probably means it took a while before the assistant recognised that everything was indeed registered. Anyway, it works perfectly now.

Sound wise it's what I expected really, as I'm used to these speakers already. The high placement of the speaker above the kitchen cabinets spreads the sound quite well in the kitchen area, I think. It's only when you get very close to it (for example when taking something out of the cabinets directly below it), that the sound feels a little bit more muddy. A bit further away, next to the sink or the kitchen oven, it's sounds good. I briefly played radio on the Sonos as well, and speaking voices sound clear and well on it.

For the size of the kitchen area, a smaller speaker might have been more than enough too (the Google Nest Mini for example), but in the end I found it hard to find a better option than the Sonos One. It can easily be moved and do just as good a job in any other room, if needed.

Is Sono locked to Google exclusively, I have no experience with a Sonos. I used Google music years ago bought a few albums though been a while since I used the app.

Top top with smart speakers in the kitchen, don't try to use voice commands when the kettle is on 😂 my speakers never here me.

No, the Sonos One (Gen 2) is compatible with multiple streaming services, like Spotify and Amazon Music, etc, as well as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple Siri via iOS/AirPlay.

Haha, I actually tried talking to it with the kettle on tonight, and it didn't work 😂 It did work when I walked closer to the speaker though.

I may upgrade my Kitchen smart speakers at some point, something to consider. I have found myself shouting at my speakers and getting angry when the kettle is on :))

---

Just bought a vintage 90's dedicated CD player, I have not had a dedicated CD player since my last one broke (I have been using my PC or Xbox to play CD's).

Aesthetically I do like many of the 90's Sony CD players.

3394900-ca7c301e-vintage-sony-cdp-m18-cd-player-made-in-japan.jpg
    It does sound pretty good.

Haha! Kettle issues aside, my Sonos is working perfectly so far. Annoyingly, if I'd waited just a few more weeks I would have been aware that Sonos have just released their next generation of speakers, Era. The Era 100 looks to be the equivalent of the Sonos One I bought, only with better specs. Oh well, if I ever need a smart speaker in another room, it will be tempting to get the Era 100.

That's a nice looking CD player! I got one which is quite similar, a JVC XL-V311 (identical to the one pictured below) – which is the CD player I grew up with listening to. It's never been serviced, but is still working perfectly. I haven't used it for a while, but as soon as I get my audio setup up and running, I will be playing my CD collection on it again.

P1040686__60599.1631362317.JPG?c=2

That's the problem with new tech, new versions appear on the market very quickly. I have been stung by buying a speaker only for the next gen to appear shortly after though admittedly I got it at a cheap price.

80's/90's CD players are so durable, the one I just bought is 32 years old and works like new and barely has a mark on it. Currently I have the CD player plugged into my Bose soundbar which has a amp and subwoofer so no need for an external amp for the player. Its good to have set ups which offer different listening experiences.

Your JVC looks a good player, mine is so old it does not have a headphone port :))

Yes, it's like buying a new smartphone. There's always the next generation of phones just around the corner. Very happy with the Sonos One though, so I'm not that bothered to have missed out on the new Sonos speaker.

I think the JVC CD player is from 1989 or 1990, so it's essentially the same era as the one you've got. I know where little about this specific model, but I've read that players from the late 80's and early 90's were quite good – even cheaper ones. There was a cassette deck that went along with this JVC too, but that was unfortunately sold some years ago.

CD players of that era were often packed with some good hardware. since I bought my retro player I have purchased 10 new CD's, I am really getting back into listening to music on this format.

My smart phone I have had a few years now I have hit a ceiling with them so not in a hurry to upgrade this one, its literally the size of a tablet lol thinking about it I could do with a smaller micro smart phone when out cycling etc.

Oh definitely, and if you see past the fact that it's a physical format (which might not be for everyone these days), it's probably the ultimate format too. I have a few records on my list that I'd love to have on CD. Mostly newer releases, but also some older ones that I just want to own rather than just stream on Spotify.

I usually keep my smart phones for several years before upgrading. My former iPhone lasted 7 years, and would have lasted a further few years if it weren't for the battery life becoming an issue. When I got my current iPhone I made sure to go for a smaller size one, as the larger models are just to big IMO.

Since I bought the retro CD player think I have bought around 50 CD's, they are so much cheaper than digital downloads if you shop around. I have almost completely stopped streaming/playing my digital cloud/downloaded music.

There are definitely a lot of good deals for CDs these days. Even new releases, if you compare them to the much pricier vinyl editions of the same albums. There are a few albums I'd like to get physical copies of, and if I want to save some money and format isn't a big deal, I might just as well get them as CDs.

True, I have stopped buying vinyl for the moment since I got my CD player so much cheaper.

I want some different better speakers for my CD player, the sound bar I use is good but want the sound from different areas.

I've seen examples of artists releasing albums on digital and vinyl, but dropping CD. Sometimes the vinyls are special edition coloured vinyls as well – which are often more expensive. Most artists have both a vinyl and CD option though.

A dedicated pair of CD speakers could be worth getting. They don't have the be all that expensive either, just a good fit for the CD player and the place you have available.

I may have to get an amp, just occured to me my soundbar has the amp etc built in. Will try to get a retro amp that goes well with the cd player.

A pair of powered speakers could be an option. The first that comes to mind are Klipsch's The Fives – though there are no doubt plenty of much cheaper options than these.
    Just bought another 10 CD's this morning :)) so much for me going minimalist.

Haha! CD's do have a tendency to take up quite a bit of space. When I replaced the jewel cases for the majority of my CD collection with plastic sleeves, I reduced the physical size of my collection by two-thirds – if not more. Only the more "important" albums were left in their original cases.

Cheers i will look at powered speakers options, my sound bar is good it just limited as to the field/direction in which the sound is coming from.

I see a lot of people put CD's in sleeve, have you kept the individual CD cases and boxed them up? I may look into getting a CD wallet.

Soundbars have several benefits, but field/direction is one of the major drawbacks.

I have my sleeved CDs in three Tjena Ikea boxes right now. It's not an optimal solution, and I will look at finding some better boxes to store them in. I've considered a CD wallet, but haven't found one I like yet.

I am now over run by CD's some are just scattered on the floor lol

---

Looking to purchase some new PC stereo speakers, the Dolby Atmos Sound Slayer I bought a while ago I ended using with my Xbox instead, decided I prefer stereo speakers on my PC. So far this pair is the most likely i will buy...

maxresdefault.jpg

The Creative T100 is a compact 2.0 desktop speaker system perfect for computers and laptops. With an incredible audio performance, it offers wide connectivity options - wired, wireless, and more. Stream wirelessly via Bluetooth or directly via USB drive playback. Connect to 3.5 mm AUX-in input or via optical for wired options.

Black.
    With a powerful 2.75 driver and improved BasXPort technology, it enhances the bass
    without the need of a subwoofer.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.
    2 x 20w watt satellite speakers.
    Total power output 40W. (80W at peak)

These are around £100 though thinking i should go more premium, though I do like the look of the T100's and the optical connection is exactly what I want.

Haha, it's very easy for discs to start piling up! I've bought some Blu-rays recently, which are still in their original cases rather than sleeves. Even just a selection of films requires quite a lot of space.

I had a pair of Creative desktop speakers many years ago. Can't compare those old speakers to these though, but for the requirements back then, they did the job. I haven't looked at new, dedicated PC speakers in a long time, so I'm not up to speed about what a regular pair of desktop speakers should feature. These looks to cover connectivity options quite well – so the only thing you might want to consider if there are better sounding speakers with the same functions at the same price point, or if going just a little bit further up in price will bring the advantage of better sound quality.

There's also the option of regular (non-desktop) speakers with similar features.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,530
    Ended up getting the Sonos One after work today. Very easy to set up; took me less than five minutes to take the speaker out of the box until I had registered a Sonos user on the app and have music playing out of it. It did take a bit more time to have the Google Assistant up and running on it, as for whatever reason, Google didn't identify that I had a Sonos account… It sorted itself out on the third try, which probably means it took a while before the assistant recognised that everything was indeed registered. Anyway, it works perfectly now.

Sound wise it's what I expected really, as I'm used to these speakers already. The high placement of the speaker above the kitchen cabinets spreads the sound quite well in the kitchen area, I think. It's only when you get very close to it (for example when taking something out of the cabinets directly below it), that the sound feels a little bit more muddy. A bit further away, next to the sink or the kitchen oven, it's sounds good. I briefly played radio on the Sonos as well, and speaking voices sound clear and well on it.

For the size of the kitchen area, a smaller speaker might have been more than enough too (the Google Nest Mini for example), but in the end I found it hard to find a better option than the Sonos One. It can easily be moved and do just as good a job in any other room, if needed.

Is Sono locked to Google exclusively, I have no experience with a Sonos. I used Google music years ago bought a few albums though been a while since I used the app.

Top top with smart speakers in the kitchen, don't try to use voice commands when the kettle is on 😂 my speakers never here me.

No, the Sonos One (Gen 2) is compatible with multiple streaming services, like Spotify and Amazon Music, etc, as well as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple Siri via iOS/AirPlay.

Haha, I actually tried talking to it with the kettle on tonight, and it didn't work 😂 It did work when I walked closer to the speaker though.

I may upgrade my Kitchen smart speakers at some point, something to consider. I have found myself shouting at my speakers and getting angry when the kettle is on :))

---

Just bought a vintage 90's dedicated CD player, I have not had a dedicated CD player since my last one broke (I have been using my PC or Xbox to play CD's).

Haha! Kettle issues aside, my Sonos is working perfectly so far. Annoyingly, if I'd waited just a few more weeks I would have been aware that Sonos have just released their next generation of speakers, Era. The Era 100 looks to be the equivalent of the Sonos One I bought, only with better specs. Oh well, if I ever need a smart speaker in another room, it will be tempting to get the Era 100.

That's a nice looking CD player! I got one which is quite similar, a JVC XL-V311 (identical to the one pictured below) – which is the CD player I grew up with listening to. It's never been serviced, but is still working perfectly. I haven't used it for a while, but as soon as I get my audio setup up and running, I will be playing my CD collection on it again.

That's the problem with new tech, new versions appear on the market very quickly. I have been stung by buying a speaker only for the next gen to appear shortly after though admittedly I got it at a cheap price.

80's/90's CD players are so durable, the one I just bought is 32 years old and works like new and barely has a mark on it. Currently I have the CD player plugged into my Bose soundbar which has a amp and subwoofer so no need for an external amp for the player. Its good to have set ups which offer different listening experiences.

Your JVC looks a good player, mine is so old it does not have a headphone port :))

Yes, it's like buying a new smartphone. There's always the next generation of phones just around the corner. Very happy with the Sonos One though, so I'm not that bothered to have missed out on the new Sonos speaker.

I think the JVC CD player is from 1989 or 1990, so it's essentially the same era as the one you've got. I know where little about this specific model, but I've read that players from the late 80's and early 90's were quite good – even cheaper ones. There was a cassette deck that went along with this JVC too, but that was unfortunately sold some years ago.

CD players of that era were often packed with some good hardware. since I bought my retro player I have purchased 10 new CD's, I am really getting back into listening to music on this format.

My smart phone I have had a few years now I have hit a ceiling with them so not in a hurry to upgrade this one, its literally the size of a tablet lol thinking about it I could do with a smaller micro smart phone when out cycling etc.

Oh definitely, and if you see past the fact that it's a physical format (which might not be for everyone these days), it's probably the ultimate format too. I have a few records on my list that I'd love to have on CD. Mostly newer releases, but also some older ones that I just want to own rather than just stream on Spotify.

I usually keep my smart phones for several years before upgrading. My former iPhone lasted 7 years, and would have lasted a further few years if it weren't for the battery life becoming an issue. When I got my current iPhone I made sure to go for a smaller size one, as the larger models are just to big IMO.

Since I bought the retro CD player think I have bought around 50 CD's, they are so much cheaper than digital downloads if you shop around. I have almost completely stopped streaming/playing my digital cloud/downloaded music.

There are definitely a lot of good deals for CDs these days. Even new releases, if you compare them to the much pricier vinyl editions of the same albums. There are a few albums I'd like to get physical copies of, and if I want to save some money and format isn't a big deal, I might just as well get them as CDs.

True, I have stopped buying vinyl for the moment since I got my CD player so much cheaper.

I want some different better speakers for my CD player, the sound bar I use is good but want the sound from different areas.

I've seen examples of artists releasing albums on digital and vinyl, but dropping CD. Sometimes the vinyls are special edition coloured vinyls as well – which are often more expensive. Most artists have both a vinyl and CD option though.

A dedicated pair of CD speakers could be worth getting. They don't have the be all that expensive either, just a good fit for the CD player and the place you have available.

I may have to get an amp, just occured to me my soundbar has the amp etc built in. Will try to get a retro amp that goes well with the cd player.

A pair of powered speakers could be an option. The first that comes to mind are Klipsch's The Fives – though there are no doubt plenty of much cheaper options than these.

Haha! CD's do have a tendency to take up quite a bit of space. When I replaced the jewel cases for the majority of my CD collection with plastic sleeves, I reduced the physical size of my collection by two-thirds – if not more. Only the more "important" albums were left in their original cases.

Cheers i will look at powered speakers options, my sound bar is good it just limited as to the field/direction in which the sound is coming from.

I see a lot of people put CD's in sleeve, have you kept the individual CD cases and boxed them up? I may look into getting a CD wallet.

Soundbars have several benefits, but field/direction is one of the major drawbacks.

I have my sleeved CDs in three Tjena Ikea boxes right now. It's not an optimal solution, and I will look at finding some better boxes to store them in. I've considered a CD wallet, but haven't found one I like yet.

---

Looking to purchase some new PC stereo speakers, the Dolby Atmos Sound Slayer I bought a while ago I ended using with my Xbox instead, decided I prefer stereo speakers on my PC. So far this pair is the most likely i will buy...

maxresdefault.jpg

The Creative T100 is a compact 2.0 desktop speaker system perfect for computers and laptops. With an incredible audio performance, it offers wide connectivity options - wired, wireless, and more. Stream wirelessly via Bluetooth or directly via USB drive playback. Connect to 3.5 mm AUX-in input or via optical for wired options.

Black.
    With a powerful 2.75 driver and improved BasXPort technology, it enhances the bass
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

These are around £100 though thinking i should go more premium, though I do like the look of the T100's and the optical connection is exactly what I want.

Haha, it's very easy for discs to start piling up! I've bought some Blu-rays recently, which are still in their original cases rather than sleeves. Even just a selection of films requires quite a lot of space.

I had a pair of Creative desktop speakers many years ago. Can't compare those old speakers to these though, but for the requirements back then, they did the job. I haven't looked at new, dedicated PC speakers in a long time, so I'm not up to speed about what a regular pair of desktop speakers should feature. These looks to cover connectivity options quite well – so the only thing you might want to consider if there are better sounding speakers with the same functions at the same price point, or if going just a little bit further up in price will bring the advantage of better sound quality.

There's also the option of regular (non-desktop) speakers with similar features.

I think you are right opting for regular speakers is the way to go in terms of quality, it is prime day in 1 week so will check out what deals are available. Literally every PC set of speakers review I watched there was a downside.

I did stumble on a review of another item which was like seeing the monolith from 2001 lol This next item is currently £650 though its something like this i have wanted for a very long time for music...

FiiO R7 Desktop Streaming Player and DAC/Amp

FiiO R7 review: a thoroughly modern micro system
    https://www.stuff.tv/review/fiio-r7-review/

Fiio-R7-review-homescreen.jpg
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 17,338

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

I think you are right opting for regular speakers is the way to go in terms of quality, it is prime day in 1 week so will check out what deals are available. Literally every PC set of speakers review I watched there was a downside.

I did stumble on a review of another item which was like seeing the monolith from 2001 lol This next item is currently £650 though its something like this i have wanted for a very long time for music...

It's definitely worth seeking out some good deals and discounts. Audio equipment is expensive enough!

The iiO R7 certainly looks like a good all-in-one device. Very "early Naughties micro system vibes", like the review points out, but that's part of the charm, I guess. If I get around to making myself a dedicated desktop setup/place at home, I could be tempted by this one! At £650 it's certainly not cheap, but I guess it's not bad at all for what you get.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

It's definitely worth seeking out some good deals and discounts. Audio equipment is expensive enough!

The iiO R7 certainly looks like a good all-in-one device. Very "early Naughties micro system vibes", like the review points out, but that's part of the charm, I guess. If I get around to making myself a dedicated desktop setup/place at home, I could be tempted by this one! At £650 it's certainly not cheap, but I guess it's not bad at all for what you get.

As nice as the Fiio R7 is I just can't justify the purchase with the equipment I already have, it would make other equipment i have spent money on redundant. Also it occurred to me software updates, how long would the R7 be supported with updates long term as it is literally Android mobile phone. Its nice to window shop though lol

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

As nice as the Fiio R7 is I just can't justify the purchase with the equipment I already have, it would make other equipment i have spent money on redundant. Also it occurred to me software updates, how long would the R7 be supported with updates long term as it is literally Android mobile phone. Its nice to window shop though lol

Good point re. software updates. The longevity of the product is very important at that price point, and with so much audio gear being smart devices one way or another, you can't be too sure how long they will function like you want them to.

That was something I had to consider with my Sonos speaker when I bought it. It works perfectly right now, with Google Assistant and all, but how will all those functions work in 5 or 10 years?

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

Good point re. software updates. The longevity of the product is very important at that price point, and with so much audio gear being smart devices one way or another, you can't be too sure how long they will function like you want them to.

That was something I had to consider with my Sonos speaker when I bought it. It works perfectly right now, with Google Assistant and all, but how will all those functions work in 5 or 10 years?

I expect a few of my Amazon Echo's will have support discontinued at some point, the amount of tablets I have that now just can't keep up with new apps is ridiculous. that is the problem with smart devices they are not forever. Amazingly my current phone I have had for 7 or 8 years and still keeps up though at some point I expect it to become redundant.

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

I expect a few of my Amazon Echo's will have support discontinued at some point, the amount of tablets I have that now just can't keep up with new apps is ridiculous. that is the problem with smart devices they are not forever. Amazingly my current phone I have had for 7 or 8 years and still keeps up though at some point I expect it to become redundant.

One can only hope the brands – be it Amazon, Sonos or others – allow some way of still using their products, even though some functions in time will become redundant. Worst case scenario will be to take out speaker elements and reuse them one way or the other! :))
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,722
    I still have no problems with my 1988 ATL Hans Deutsch speakers (the name is "Deutsch", the guy is Austrian). They work quite well with my Denon receiver from 2003 (don't remember the exact name - 3803?) that I took out of video service in 2010 when upgrading to Blu-ray because it did not have an HDMI socket. And I added a subwoofer about ten years ago. But soundwise I'm not complaining at all after 35 years.
    I have no complaints about my older audio gear either. There's obvious drawbacks, of course, but overall the positives outweigh the negatives. My oldest speakers were made around 1973 – 19 years older than I am. I got a small speaker pair from 1968 too, but the speaker elements aren't original.

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

One can only hope the brands – be it Amazon, Sonos or others – allow some way of still using their products, even though some functions in time will become redundant. Worst case scenario will be to take out speaker elements and reuse them one way or the other! :))

The novelty value of smart devices is wearing off for me, despite owning a lot I use them less and less. I saw another old CD player in a charity shop the other day which I almost bought, older more durable tech is where IO am at i guess. New tech is flashy admittedly and catches the eye.

I have 3 weeks off at the end of the month and I am having a huge clear out, I have to commit to going more minimalist (I know I say this every year lol). I will buy a CD case book storage. Did you keep the CD boxes when putting all the disks into the CD book?

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

The novelty value of smart devices is wearing off for me, despite owning a lot I use them less and less. I saw another old CD player in a charity shop the other day which I almost bought, older more durable tech is where IO am at i guess. New tech is flashy admittedly and catches the eye.

I have 3 weeks off at the end of the month and I am having a huge clear out, I have to commit to going more minimalist (I know I say this every year lol). I will buy a CD case book storage. Did you keep the CD boxes when putting all the disks into the CD book?

I use my Sonos more or less every day, simply because it's convenient. It's placed in the kitchen, which is also probably the room you need convenience the most. If I didn't have the need for a speaker in the kitchen, I would no doubt be very happy without a smart speaker. Time will tell how many years I'll get out of the Sonos speaker.

No, I didn't keep the jewel cases when I downsized my collection. The only jewel cases I did keep, were for CD releases with multiple CDs, which wouldn't fit the artwork in the sleeves – as well as cardboard CD cases with artwork printed on them. The sleeves with CDs are kept in boxes for now – the CD books I've found were either too bulky and large, or otherwise inconvenient to use.

---

---

maxresdefault.jpg

Black.
    Easy install.
    Remote control.
    Plug and play.
    iPod compatible.

I use my Sonos more or less every day, simply because it's convenient. It's placed in the kitchen, which is also probably the room you need convenience the most. If I didn't have the need for a speaker in the kitchen, I would no doubt be very happy without a smart speaker. Time will tell how many years I'll get out of the Sonos speaker.

No, I didn't keep the jewel cases when I downsized my collection. The only jewel cases I did keep, were for CD releases with multiple CDs, which wouldn't fit the artwork in the sleeves – as well as cardboard CD cases with artwork printed on them. The sleeves with CDs are kept in boxes for now – the CD books I've found were either too bulky and large, or otherwise inconvenient to use.

As there is little value in Cd's though that seems to be changing here recently I will throw some boxes and keep the movie score boxes and put them in storage. Its prime day at midnight so I will look for a good quality CD book. I need to determine how may CD's I have, not sure what capacity I will need.

Kitchen is probably the place I use Smart speaker also, i listen to Talk Sport a lot when cooking or training in my gym room.
    I had a very simple rule for how I approached my CD clearout. I asked myself "Am I likely to ever take this CD out of the shelf and give it a listen?". If I couldn't be certain that I would, it went in the clearout box. The CDs I have left will get play time, even though it's been a while since I've had a chance to use my CD player. The only thing left is finding a permanent storage solution – be it a CD book or a nice storage box of some sort. Maybe with some dividers to sort by artist, for example.

I've actually used the radio just as much as streaming music since I got my Sonos. I often listen to radio in the car, but I've never had much of a habit of listening to radio at home, until I got a speaker in the kitchen.

I am tempted to get a speaker for the bathroom, but I don't have an outlet to connect one into. I am considering having another power outlet installed though, and that will make things easier.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,530
    Just this second ordered the Creative T100 speakers, 18% off on Prime day sales, i had only 6 minutes left before the deal expired lol so went for it. Watched endless reviews they appear to be good for the price and what i need them for.

I really do like my Creative T10 speakers so will have to find another use for them as don't want to get rid of them.
    I had a very simple rule for how I approached my CD clearout. I asked myself "Am I likely to ever take this CD out of the shelf and give it a listen?". If I couldn't be certain that I would, it went in the clearout box. The CDs I have left will get play time, even though it's been a while since I've had a chance to use my CD player. The only thing left is finding a permanent storage solution – be it a CD book or a nice storage box of some sort. Maybe with some dividers to sort by artist, for example.

I've actually used the radio just as much as streaming music since I got my Sonos. I often listen to radio in the car, but I've never had much of a habit of listening to radio at home, until I got a speaker in the kitchen.

I am tempted to get a speaker for the bathroom, but I don't have an outlet to connect one into. I am considering having another power outlet installed though, and that will make things easier.

That reminds me i forgot to check if there were any deals on CD wallet/storage.

Yesterday I did sign up for Unlimited music on Amazon Music, I tend to do it each summer for a short while as that's when i have music on the most.

I have a few battery powered shower Bluetooth speakers which you charge up with USB, one of them is water proof. i do use them when i remember to charge them up lol
    3L DVD Sleeves with Binder Holes for DVD Storage Wallet/Holder
    71qBjspI1IL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg
    A YouTube channel suggested these sleeves for DVD's great idea, definitely going to get this. Will see if I can find a cd version as it will be good to keep the covers.
    Just this second ordered the Creative T100 speakers, 18% off on Prime day sales, i had only 6 minutes left before the deal expired lol so went for it. Watched endless reviews they appear to be good for the price and what i need them for.

I really do like my Creative T10 speakers so will have to find another use for them as don't want to get rid of them.

At 18% off, you might not lose much should you not like the Creative T100 speakers, and want to sell them later.

Yesterday I did sign up for Unlimited music on Amazon Music, I tend to do it each summer for a short while as that's when i have music on the most.

I have a few battery powered shower Bluetooth speakers which you charge up with USB, one of them is water proof. i do use them when i remember to charge them up lol

The CD books I've seen haven't cost much, and there's probably not much to save on deals anyway (though I might be wrong!).

I have considered a simple bluetooth USB speaker, but I don't want the hassle (or rather, constantly forgetting) of having to recharge the speaker. There are many good USB speaker options out there though.

I did consider getting another music streaming subscription for the summer myself, but I've been to busy for it to be worth the cost. Spotify covers most of my needs anyway.
    A YouTube channel suggested these sleeves for DVD's great idea, definitely going to get this. Will see if I can find a cd version as it will be good to keep the covers.

Interesting. I have my sleeved films loose in boxes, much like the CD collection. A few binders like this one could be an option for sure!

At 18% off, you might not lose much should you not like the Creative T100 speakers, and want to sell them later.

The CD books I've seen haven't cost much, and there's probably not much to save on deals anyway (though I might be wrong!).

I have considered a simple bluetooth USB speaker, but I don't want the hassle (or rather, constantly forgetting) of having to recharge the speaker. There are many good USB speaker options out there though.

I did consider getting another music streaming subscription for the summer myself, but I've been to busy for it to be worth the cost. Spotify covers most of my needs anyway.

Interesting. I have my sleeved films loose in boxes, much like the CD collection. A few binders like this one could be an option for sure!

I saw a variety of CD booklets, the ones that stood out were the hard case ones though they cost a little bit more. I mentioned getting rid of the DVD boxes to a friend they said no don't do it lol so now I am in 2 minds. when on leave next week I am throwing out a lot of stuff i will assess what space I can create before fully committing to getting rid of CD and DVD boxes. I do kind of like the idea of flicking through a ring binder of music and DVD's though, it will make the content very easy to access.

I saw a variety of CD booklets, the ones that stood out were the hard case ones though they cost a little bit more. I mentioned getting rid of the DVD boxes to a friend they said no don't do it lol so now I am in 2 minds. when on leave next week I am throwing out a lot of stuff i will assess what space I can create before fully committing to getting rid of CD and DVD boxes. I do kind of like the idea of flicking through a ring binder of music and DVD's though, it will make the content very easy to access.

The jewel cases for CD's and DVD boxes provide more protection than sleeves do of course, so from a preservation point of view you might be better off keeping them (although a ring binder will provide some more protection than loose sleeves in a box). For me, saving space was more important than the upsides of CD/DVD cases, though I did keep the cases for a selection of more important titles.

Also if you ever consider selling DVDs or CDs, it's better to keep the cases, I imagine.

The jewel cases for CD's and DVD boxes provide more protection than sleeves do of course, so from a preservation point of view you might be better off keeping them (although a ring binder will provide some more protection than loose sleeves in a box). For me, saving space was more important than the upsides of CD/DVD cases, though I did keep the cases for a selection of more important titles.

Also if you ever consider selling DVDs or CDs, it's better to keep the cases, I imagine.

True regarding preservation, i have another week until I start sorting stuff out another solution may present itself. Or maybe I should go with the binder and just box up the empty cases in case I ever need them.

I was looking at the CD rectangular bags yesterday, that you put the jewel cases in so nothing is disguarded. My only concern is how long would the bags last, are they durable enough.

True regarding preservation, i have another week until I start sorting stuff out another solution may present itself. Or maybe I should go with the binder and just box up the empty cases in case I ever need them.

I was looking at the CD rectangular bags yesterday, that you put the jewel cases in so nothing is disguarded. My only concern is how long would the bags last, are they durable enough.

That's obviously an option, and empty cases are easy to store anyway.

It's definitely worth taking the time finding bags that are durable enough. I think the sleeves I ended up with are decent enough; there are probably better options out there, but I haven't had many CDs in use after I bought the sleeves. If I ever find the time, I might rip some of the CDs as well, just to have digital CD quality files too.

It's definitely worth taking the time finding bags that are durable enough. I think the sleeves I ended up with are decent enough; there are probably better options out there, but I haven't had many CDs in use after I bought the sleeves. If I ever find the time, I might rip some of the CDs as well, just to have digital CD quality files too.

Been reading a lot of reviews on the CD/DVD disk and sleeve plastic wallets. The more I read the more I see reviewers warning of how the plastic wallet with long term exposure can damage the disk due to chemical reaction.

Been reading a lot of reviews on the CD/DVD disk and sleeve plastic wallets. The more I read the more I see reviewers warning of how the plastic wallet with long term exposure can damage the disk due to chemical reaction.

That's an issue with some sleeves, of course. For the CDs themselves, I place them in paper sleeves within the plastic sleeve, if possible. Had to search a while until I found the order in my inbox, but the sleeves I ended up with, are these from Slim Disc.

That's an issue with some sleeves, of course. For the CDs themselves, I place them in paper sleeves within the plastic sleeve, if possible. Had to search a while until I found the order in my inbox, but the sleeves I ended up with, are these from Slim Disc.

Funny you should mention that I have been looking at paper sleeves to use as an innard, its just a matter of finding the right size so it is not visible when placed between the CD cover, so far not found anything below CD cover art.

My new speakers are great tested them with a lot of music genres and games, worthwhile purchase much better than me old PC speakers.

Funny you should mention that I have been looking at paper sleeves to use as an innard, its just a matter of finding the right size so it is not visible when placed between the CD cover, so far not found anything below CD cover art.

My new speakers are great tested them with a lot of music genres and games, worthwhile purchase much better than me old PC speakers.

The inner paper sleeves by Slim Disc will look like this in use. Not perfect, but for me who won't have the CD collection on display, it does an alright job.

That's great. It's like all other tech; components keep getting better (and often smaller too), which makes it easier to make good, small speakers.

The inner paper sleeves by Slim Disc will look like this in use. Not perfect, but for me who won't have the CD collection on display, it does an alright job.

That's great. It's like all other tech; components keep getting better (and often smaller too), which makes it easier to make good, small speakers.

Thanks for posting that I will look for them they look perfect, the inner sleeves i found were a few mm taller than the CD art sleeve.

Thanks for posting that I will look for them they look perfect, the inner sleeves i found were a few mm taller than the CD art sleeve.

These are the best options I've found. The white paper sleeve is clearly visible, but at least the plastic outer sleeve covers the inner sleeve and the artwork.

These are the best options I've found. The white paper sleeve is clearly visible, but at least the plastic outer sleeve covers the inner sleeve and the artwork.

I found 100 for £5 of the white paper sleeve I will get those. Been looking at boxes to put the CD's in, it really will cut down on space. Apparently glue vapors cause the damage to the disks in the plastic wallets.
    Off topic @Torgeirtrap just been looking round charity shops and found a unopened brand new WACOM large creative pen tablet, only £19.99. I know you are an expert with these things, just tried it on G.I.M.P. 2.10 software and surprised how accurate this thing is whilst drawing. Been after one of these things for ages.

I found 100 for £5 of the white paper sleeve I will get those. Been looking at boxes to put the CD's in, it really will cut down on space. Apparently glue vapors cause the damage to the disks in the plastic wallets.

That sounds like a good deal. Haven't found the optimal boxes for my CDs yet, but I'm sure I'll find a solution at some point. As for glue vapors, that makes sense; CDs, like any physical formats, have their weaknesses.
    Off topic @Torgeirtrap just been looking round charity shops and found a unopened brand new WACOM large creative pen tablet, only £19.99. I know you are an expert with these things, just tried it on G.I.M.P. 2.10 software and surprised how accurate this thing is whilst drawing. Been after one of these things for ages.

That's a really good price for a Wacom tablet! As long as Wacom software is compatible with whatever operating system you use and will use in years to come, you might have found yourself a tablet that can last years. The only issue I have experienced with my Wacom (a Cintiq), are the cables that came with the tablet, which got worn after much use. Wacom offers spare parts though, so that was easy to replace.

For work, I'm using an iPad Pro with Apple pencil these days. I am thinking of making a home desk setup where I can have the Wacom ready whenever I want to use it.