How do you listen to music?

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I still think that all discs that came out after CDs were invented should have been packaged in the same-size jewel cases as CDs were (since the disc size is also the same), and I was kind of appalled when DVDs first came out in bloated book-sized sleeves that wasted a lot of room, and BDs did only a limited amount to reduce that. I can see why the DVD sleeve size made sense if you wished to issue a disc with a sizable booklet, but that rarely ever happened and has all but vanished.

I happen to have a lot of space for keeping that kind of stuff in my home (I'm keeping and collecting too much stuff anyway, to be honest, and should really do something about it), so I won't discard the disc sleeves to save space, since it also means disposing of enormous plastic waste before its time has come. But nevertheless, I actually have about 35 meters of shelf space containing mostly...air.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 17,295
    There are many CD rack solutions out there, so I'm sure you'll find options that will fit your place. Some years ago I think Ikea sold these storage chests of drawers similar to the Ikea Moppe – which had dimensions that could fit CDs. The Moppe has other dimensions though, but if it didn't I would have got a few of these for my CD collection.

moppe-minikommode-furu__1169758_pe892540_s5.jpg?f=s

A desk top CD drawer solution is a good idea, back in the 90's they were easy to get hold of for CD ROM storage, I had quite a few..

There were floppy disk ones too! As for the pre Ikea Moppe chests of drawers, I seem to remember having seen a video of a guy showing a room with wall-mounted chests of drawers, which mean he had floor to ceiling CD storage, with a simple (and cheap) Ikea hack. Couldn't find the video now though, unfortunately.
    Its my birthday soon so got the next best thing to the Mission Impossible TV Boxset and bought the TV soundtrack. I had it to listen through streaming though wanted to own it, some great themes...

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

There are plenty of great tunes from the TV series. Everything Lalo Schifrin did was fantastic, but the TV series had other great composers too, like Hugo Montenegro and Gerald Fried.

Just bought another 4 CD's today, what is great to see is when i am looking at CD's in shops a lot of younger generation seems interested in the format which is good, they favor something tangible rather than streaming digital.

I think the more digital we get, there will be a certain niche market for physical media and products, like vinyl, which has gone from non existent to a popular format again. Some artists have cassette releases of their albums too these days, and CD might get a revival at some point. For now though, the CD market looks small, and it's a great opportunity to pick up physical releases for more affordable prices than vinyl.

I often think if all the streaming services and internet went down at least I have my more analogue media to fall back on.

It hasn't happened a lot, but a few times over the last two years, the internet service I use have had issues – as well as the occasional maintenance down time. Sometimes it's been a few hours, sometimes a whole night. In any of these instances I've been very happy to have a book and a few CDs at my disposal!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I still think that all discs that came out after CDs were invented should have been packaged in the same-size jewel cases as CDs were (since the disc size is also the same), and I was kind of appalled when DVDs first came out in bloated book-sized sleeves that wasted a lot of room, and BDs did only a limited amount to reduce that. I can see why the DVD sleeve size made sense if you wished to issue a disc with a sizable booklet, but that rarely ever happened and has all but vanished.

I happen to have a lot of space for keeping that kind of stuff in my home (I'm keeping and collecting too much stuff anyway, to be honest, and should really do something about it), so I won't discard the disc sleeves to save space, since it also means disposing of enormous plastic waste before its time has come. But nevertheless, I actually have about 35 meters of shelf space containing mostly...air.

I have around 150 empty DVD boxes, I am looking into where I can recycle them I don't think charity shops will take them. I have only streamlined certain DVD's I still have 100's of DVD's in there original cases (mainly collector editions etc). I donated many of the DVD's I had which I also have on Bluray or 4K

Good point regarding the size of DVD boxes, I guess a lot of it comes down to show casing the product especially when the likes of Blockbuster were still around. I agree regarding the size of the DVD cases, personally I would happily have all my films (Barring Collectors editions which I see as display items) in CD cases.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    There are many CD rack solutions out there, so I'm sure you'll find options that will fit your place. Some years ago I think Ikea sold these storage chests of drawers similar to the Ikea Moppe – which had dimensions that could fit CDs. The Moppe has other dimensions though, but if it didn't I would have got a few of these for my CD collection.

A desk top CD drawer solution is a good idea, back in the 90's they were easy to get hold of for CD ROM storage, I had quite a few..

There were floppy disk ones too! As for the pre Ikea Moppe chests of drawers, I seem to remember having seen a video of a guy showing a room with wall-mounted chests of drawers, which mean he had floor to ceiling CD storage, with a simple (and cheap) Ikea hack. Couldn't find the video now though, unfortunately.
    Its my birthday soon so got the next best thing to the Mission Impossible TV Boxset and bought the TV soundtrack. I had it to listen through streaming though wanted to own it, some great themes...

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

There are plenty of great tunes from the TV series. Everything Lalo Schifrin did was fantastic, but the TV series had other great composers too, like Hugo Montenegro and Gerald Fried.

Just bought another 4 CD's today, what is great to see is when i am looking at CD's in shops a lot of younger generation seems interested in the format which is good, they favor something tangible rather than streaming digital.

I think the more digital we get, there will be a certain niche market for physical media and products, like vinyl, which has gone from non existent to a popular format again. Some artists have cassette releases of their albums too these days, and CD might get a revival at some point. For now though, the CD market looks small, and it's a great opportunity to pick up physical releases for more affordable prices than vinyl.

I often think if all the streaming services and internet went down at least I have my more analogue media to fall back on.

It hasn't happened a lot, but a few times over the last two years, the internet service I use have had issues – as well as the occasional maintenance down time. Sometimes it's been a few hours, sometimes a whole night. In any of these instances I've been very happy to have a book and a few CDs at my disposal!

Thankfully its not been an issue for over a week but recently my internet kept cutting out almost daily, I can only assume some work was being done in the area. Sometimes I wonder if I should never have bothered getting on the digital bandwagon with music and films. I did buy a couple of of digital albums recently to be fair at least with music you can download it and use it where ever.

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

Thankfully its not been an issue for over a week but recently my internet kept cutting out almost daily, I can only assume some work was being done in the area. Sometimes I wonder if I should never have bothered getting on the digital bandwagon with music and films. I did buy a couple of of digital albums recently to be fair at least with music you can download it and use it where ever.

I appreciate how digital releases is always available on any device – as long as you have internet connection, or have the content synced or downloaded. My fear is if any of the services I purchase digital downloads from should discontinue their services, and that my digital collection will become unavailable.

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

I appreciate how digital releases is always available on any device – as long as you have internet connection, or have the content synced or downloaded. My fear is if any of the services I purchase digital downloads from should discontinue their services, and that my digital collection will become unavailable.

Amazon music lets you download any music to a memory stick or a phone etc you don't need an app to play the media. Its a shame they don't do the the same for films, though I understand why. i have downloaded several films to my PC, in fact at one point I had every Bond film saved on my hard drive to watch via the amazon Prime app though i ended up deleting them when I started to run out of space lol
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 17,295

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon music lets you download any music to a memory stick or a phone etc you don't need an app to play the media. Its a shame they don't do the the same for films, though I understand why. i have downloaded several films to my PC, in fact at one point I had every Bond film saved on my hard drive to watch via the amazon Prime app though i ended up deleting them when I started to run out of space lol

I wish Amazon offered more of their services here in Norway, because there's a lot of content, especially films, I can't find elsewhere. I buy and download/stream my films through Google and Apple, but their library isn't as big as Amazon (at least for the stuff I watch).

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

I wish Amazon offered more of their services here in Norway, because there's a lot of content, especially films, I can't find elsewhere. I buy and download/stream my films through Google and Apple, but their library isn't as big as Amazon (at least for the stuff I watch).

Compared to other streaming services it offers the widest selection. I am permanently subscribed to Amazon Prime its my TV home page via Fire TV, I subscribe to other services randomly depending on what TV shows are available that month. I have pretty much given up on Netflix its too pricey for what you get now.

I am surprised Norway has not struck a broadcasting rights deal with Amazon, I would guess most European country's have... though not that clued up to honest.

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

Compared to other streaming services it offers the widest selection. I am permanently subscribed to Amazon Prime its my TV home page via Fire TV, I subscribe to other services randomly depending on what TV shows are available that month. I have pretty much given up on Netflix its too pricey for what you get now.

I am surprised Norway has not struck a broadcasting rights deal with Amazon, I would guess most European country's have... though not that clued up to honest.

I don't have a Netflix subscription these days either. There are simply not that many shows available that I feel the need to watch. My current subscription service of choice, Strim (or simply Stream in English), is a service that collects several popular streaming services in one service: You have one monthly billing, instead of paying four or five different streaming services. It's not cheaper or anything like that, but having an all-in-one service makes things easier.

Norway is a bit behind as far as Amazon goes. We do have Amazon Prime, but it's a lesser service than the one you have access to, and last time I checked, it was mostly Amazon Originals and syndicated shows – some of which are also available on other services. There's also no option for purchasing shows and episodes.

I don't know why this is the case though. A more extensive Amazon Prime would be worth the monthly subscription fee.

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

I don't have a Netflix subscription these days either. There are simply not that many shows available that I feel the need to watch. My current subscription service of choice, Strim (or simply Stream in English), is a service that collects several popular streaming services in one service: You have one monthly billing, instead of paying four or five different streaming services. It's not cheaper or anything like that, but having an all-in-one service makes things easier.

Norway is a bit behind as far as Amazon goes. We do have Amazon Prime, but it's a lesser service than the one you have access to, and last time I checked, it was mostly Amazon Originals and syndicated shows – some of which are also available on other services. There's also no option for purchasing shows and episodes.

I don't know why this is the case though. A more extensive Amazon Prime would be worth the monthly subscription fee.

Ideally it would be great to have a service that provided a collection of shows from other streaming services. i constantly have to check what I am subscribed to and have to remember to unsubscribe when a show I was watching has finished otherwise it is just money down the drain.

I was subscribed to Amazon Music unlimited longer than I intended to as I forget to cancel before the renewal date.
    Indeed, that's another reason I have a Strim subscription. I've had most of the included streaming services as separate subscriptions, and often I've forgot to cancel them whenever I've watched the shows I want to watch.
    Indeed, that's another reason I have a Strim subscription. I've had most of the included streaming services as separate subscriptions, and often I've forgot to cancel them whenever I've watched the shows I want to watch.

I have Sky Sports back to watch the Premier League I have had a deletion spree of other services lol One thing I have noticed is some services make it quite difficult to find the unsubscribe section more so than before, watchdogs need to look at that. Any subscription through Amazon/FireTV apps are very easy to unsubscribe from thankfully.

I have Sky Sports back to watch the Premier League I have had a deletion spree of other services lol One thing I have noticed is some services make it quite difficult to find the unsubscribe section more so than before, watchdogs need to look at that. Any subscription through Amazon/FireTV apps are very easy to unsubscribe from thankfully.

Yeah, some subscription services do that. I've noticed this with online newspapers too; it's very easy to subscribe, but cancelling the subscription isn't always just a couple of clicks away…

Luckily, I can watch PL football through my Strim subscription, since Viaplay, who holds the rights to the Prem in Norway, is included as one of the streaming services in my subscription. Football and sport is essentially a premium package on Viaplay, which means my Strim subscription is also a bit more expensive than it would have been if I didn't need football as part of the subscription package. Still, it's only one monthly billing, football or no football, which is great.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,395
    Its a pain that football is split between services here, sky has the majority of domestic football so I get that one.

---

MusicBee is my go to PC music app, just downloaded a lot of new skins and found a pretty great looking skin the best so far, MusicBee is great for customization.

PbjaAZN.png
    One of the cleanest skins I have found, I don't like two much noise on skins with overly fancy graphics.
    Its a pain that football is split between services here, sky has the majority of domestic football so I get that one.

---

MusicBee is my go to PC music app, just downloaded a lot of new skins and found a pretty great looking skin the best so far, MusicBee is great for customization.

PbjaAZN.png
    One of the cleanest skins I have found, I don't like two much noise on skins with overly fancy graphics.

That's one thing I'm very happy about: at least the PL rights isn't shared between multiple services. Never know what might happen in the future though.

TV2 holds the right for Eliteserien football though, but even TV2s streaming services is included in the Sports subscription packages by Strim.

I don't think I've heard about MusicBee before. By the looks of it, it's Windows only? The design certainly looks good!

---

PbjaAZN.png

That's one thing I'm very happy about: at least the PL rights isn't shared between multiple services. Never know what might happen in the future though.

TV2 holds the right for Eliteserien football though, but even TV2s streaming services is included in the Sports subscription packages by Strim.

I don't think I've heard about MusicBee before. By the looks of it, it's Windows only? The design certainly looks good!

Wjhat music player apps are there on Apple products?

---

Just found these Mission 700 series 2 way speakers large for £6 each in a charity shop in pristine condition, bargain!

1c9521de-1728-4c91-b55c-d94c50ea41fa.jpg
    This image is from the internet not my speakers.

I did not need them though I will get some use out of them, I will rig them up to my PC amp as secondary speakers when playing music.
    Fosi Audio BT20A Pro 300W x2 TPA3255 Bluetooth 5.0 Home Audio Stereo 2 Channel Amplifier Receiver Mini Hi-Fi Class D Upgraded Integrated Amp for Speakers with Bass Treble Control
    maxresdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEmCIAKENAF8quKqQMa8AEB-AH-CYAC0AWKAgwIABABGFUgXShlMA8=&rs=AOn4CLDMVT3MUEPLwvLBiVeUr55ThAEhCA
    Just ordered this amp for my new speakers, it is surprising powerful. I decided to use the speakers I got today with my vintage CD player.

I will eventually buy a high end home cinema Amp that I can plug all my speakers and media streaming devices etc into, I almost did today though watching numerous reviews prices have recently been over inflated probably due to the cost of living crisis so I will wait until prices drop closer to what they should be.
    Just rigged up the speakers to my new Amp, sounds great and having bluetooth on the Amp is a bonus. these wired speakers offer a different sound to all the digital speakers I own. Not been able to connect my CD player yet as wrecked the only RCA cable I had that will connect them lol will buy one tomorrow.
    Listening to my Skyfall CD, this little amp has serious power I dare not push the volume past 25%. my new speakers mid and high sounds great, the low is a bit muddy depending on what I am listening to. I have been looking at wired subwoofers one that would be ideal is currently out of stock.

Despite my Dolby Atmos speakers/ soundbars having all the bells and whistles listening to music through these old speakers is a far more enjoyable experience.

---

PbjaAZN.png

I must admit I haven'y really put much effort into seeing what's out there. I usually just use Spotify, and iTunes/Music (as Apple calls it these days).
    Just found these Mission 700 series 2 way speakers large for £6 each in a charity shop in pristine condition, bargain!

I did not need them though I will get some use out of them, I will rig them up to my PC amp as secondary speakers when playing music.

Great find! What's the size of these speakers?
    Fosi Audio BT20A Pro 300W x2 TPA3255 Bluetooth 5.0 Home Audio Stereo 2 Channel Amplifier Receiver Mini Hi-Fi Class D Upgraded Integrated Amp for Speakers with Bass Treble Control
    maxresdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEmCIAKENAF8quKqQMa8AEB-AH-CYAC0AWKAgwIABABGFUgXShlMA8=&rs=AOn4CLDMVT3MUEPLwvLBiVeUr55ThAEhCA
    Just ordered this amp for my new speakers, it is surprising powerful. I decided to use the speakers I got today with my vintage CD player.

I will eventually buy a high end home cinema Amp that I can plug all my speakers and media streaming devices etc into, I almost did today though watching numerous reviews prices have recently been over inflated probably due to the cost of living crisis so I will wait until prices drop closer to what they should be.

This one looks really cool. It kinda looks a little bit like this old Quad preamplifier!

6d16-DSC_4669-0-1-1200x800.JPG

Waiting for the right bargain or price drop might be wise. Home cinema amps can be expensive. I've been looking into maybe getting one myself, but with my old TV, it isn't really worth getting tight now. My flatscreen TV must be close to 15 years now!
    Just rigged up the speakers to my new Amp, sounds great and having bluetooth on the Amp is a bonus. these wired speakers offer a different sound to all the digital speakers I own. Not been able to connect my CD player yet as wrecked the only RCA cable I had that will connect them lol will buy one tomorrow.

That's why I appreciate having both older, wired speakers and wireless ones. The functionality and setup is very different, but the sound might be different too.
    Listening to my Skyfall CD, this little amp has serious power I dare not push the volume past 25%. my new speakers mid and high sounds great, the low is a bit muddy depending on what I am listening to. I have been looking at wired subwoofers one that would be ideal is currently out of stock.

Despite my Dolby Atmos speakers/ soundbars having all the bells and whistles listening to music through these old speakers is a far more enjoyable experience.

I rarely find the need to crank up the speakers I own. Obviously, it isn't bad if speakers have a bit of kick to them, but I prefer it they can sound great at lower volume, whic his my preferred way of listening to music anyway. I haven't tried adding a subwoofer to my setup though, so I might be missing out on something there.

This one looks really cool. It kinda looks a little bit like this old Quad preamplifier!

Waiting for the right bargain or price drop might be wise. Home cinema amps can be expensive. I've been looking into maybe getting one myself, but with my old TV, it isn't really worth getting tight now. My flatscreen TV must be close to 15 years now!

That's why I appreciate having both older, wired speakers and wireless ones. The functionality and setup is very different, but the sound might be different too.

I rarely find the need to crank up the speakers I own. Obviously, it isn't bad if speakers have a bit of kick to them, but I prefer it they can sound great at lower volume, whic his my preferred way of listening to music anyway. I haven't tried adding a subwoofer to my setup though, so I might be missing out on something there.

Yeah with my speakers mid to low volume is very necessary, I tend to use headphones in the evening more often than not lol Another great thing about the amp is I can Bluetooth music from my PC to the bookshelf speakers. My PC is right next to my arm chair so I can flick through albums and playlist with ease as a alternative to using my smart speaker set up..

I am just looking at RCA switch boxes online so I can feed multiple sources into the mini amp and something with a headphones uut option.

Quad preamplifier above has great functionality, I could do with a similar source selection option.

I have used soundbars and smart speakers for such a long time now I am a bit clueless when it comes to speakers amps etc, I am learning as I go.

I have a box and bag full of random tech and cables i should probably look through all that stuff first, see if i can utilize something.

---

PbjaAZN.png

I must admit I haven'y really put much effort into seeing what's out there. I usually just use Spotify, and iTunes/Music (as Apple calls it these days).

Height 35cm x width 19cm they have a good soundscape filling the room I have them in. there is not a mark on them other than a bit of dust, who ever donated them to the charity shop took good care of them. apparently there was another pair which were sold just before i went in to the shop.

I bought some good value speaker cable and banana plugs from Amazon to connect them up.
    I have been thinking about getting a dedicated DAB Internet radio player for some time. My recent purchases have prompted me to purchase this...
    Majority Fitzwilliam III Smart Tuner Internet Radio
    71-8e9yH0wL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg
    High quality Internet Radio with DAB, DAB+ and FM, Spotify Connect, Podcasts, Bluetooth, 90+ Pre-sets, Full Colour TFT Display, and remote control.
    51nSvyzx7JL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI92CVUQTCVw72eqbsbNSwfdzM70I3z6vwGg&usqp=CAU
    The unit connects to 25'000 radio stations worldwide, there are a few North American stations I want to listen too. It's an added bonus that I can also access my Spotify podcasts. I will plug in a usb drive with all my digital music also which saves me from booting up my PC. I will connect this Tuner to my new Amp and bookshelf speakers rather tham any of my smart speakers, I want a more retro feel when I use this Tuner.

As well as all the pre installed presets you can add a lot more.

Yeah with my speakers mid to low volume is very necessary, I tend to use headphones in the evening more often than not lol Another great thing about the amp is I can Bluetooth music from my PC to the bookshelf speakers. My PC is right next to my arm chair so I can flick through albums and playlist with ease as a alternative to using my smart speaker set up..

I am just looking at RCA switch boxes online so I can feed multiple sources into the mini amp and something with a headphones uut option.

Quad preamplifier above has great functionality, I could do with a similar source selection option.

I have used soundbars and smart speakers for such a long time now I am a bit clueless when it comes to speakers amps etc, I am learning as I go.

I have a box and bag full of random tech and cables i should probably look through all that stuff first, see if i can utilize something.

Being able to connect the PC and bookshelf speakers with Bluetooth is really handy. I often play music via my Macbook and the Marshall Bluetooth speaker or Sonos speaker.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to RCA switch boxes and preamps, as I've had very little experience with them. Worth looking into at some point though.

---

PbjaAZN.png

Height 35cm x width 19cm they have a good soundscape filling the room I have them in. there is not a mark on them other than a bit of dust, who ever donated them to the charity shop took good care of them. apparently there was another pair which were sold just before i went in to the shop.

I bought some good value speaker cable and banana plugs from Amazon to connect them up.

That's a good size for a pair of speakers. Not too small or too large. I've rarely found used speakers in that good condition, as they usually have a few dents or marks on them. The exception is my vintage Tandberg Hi-Fi System 10 speakers – but they do not have the original speaker elements inside. They sound good for their size though.
    I have been thinking about getting a dedicated DAB Internet radio player for some time. My recent purchases have prompted me to purchase this...
    Majority Fitzwilliam III Smart Tuner Internet Radio
    71-8e9yH0wL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg
    High quality Internet Radio with DAB, DAB+ and FM, Spotify Connect, Podcasts, Bluetooth, 90+ Pre-sets, Full Colour TFT Display, and remote control.
    51nSvyzx7JL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI92CVUQTCVw72eqbsbNSwfdzM70I3z6vwGg&usqp=CAU
    The unit connects to 25'000 radio stations worldwide, there are a few North American stations I want to listen too. It's an added bonus that I can also access my Spotify podcasts. I will plug in a usb drive with all my digital music also which saves me from booting up my PC. I will connect this Tuner to my new Amp and bookshelf speakers rather tham any of my smart speakers, I want a more retro feel when I use this Tuner.

As well as all the pre installed presets you can add a lot more.

Sounds like this unit packs a lot of features! I've never considered getting a DAB radio player before, as I've mostly played radio through web browsers. It's not the easiest way of playing radio though, as players like these are no doubt very user friendly. Something to think about…
    edited September 2023 Posts: 23,395
    I ordered a RCA switch box also which was maybe more than I should have paid for though looks decent enough and has a lot of expansion if needed...
    71i5fxQbTUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61opTK7lefL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have not listened to radio enough in recent years other than for football, like yourself i have just gone on web pages if needed to listen to some stations. Having all the stations and podcasts in one place will ensure i listen to more content for sure.

Did you have to replace the elements on the Tandberg Hi-Fi System 10 speakers yourself.
    Wow just set up the Radio player this looks a lot better than I was expecting and the things it can do is impressive, very happy with this purchase. Apparently there is an app where all presets etc can be set up as an alternative to doing it on the machine itself.

The RCA switch is exactly the same width as my mini amp so sits well on top. The screen is very handy as i can clearly read it 8ft away, just setting up presets now. at first i thought this unit was slow then realized i had not plugged in the antenna :))

Just added some of these highly rated stations...
    https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-of-the-best-internet-radio-stations-for-music
    Dublab, Balamii, Soho Radio and Worldwide FM promising so far, I am a bit out of touch with the indie music scene and modern music in general.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 17,295
    I ordered a RCA switch box also which was maybe more than I should have paid for though looks decent enough and has a lot of expansion if needed...

I have not listened to radio enough in recent years other than for football, like yourself i have just gone on web pages if needed to listen to some stations. Having all the stations and podcasts in one place will ensure i listen to more content for sure.

Did you have to replace the elements on the Tandberg Hi-Fi System 10 speakers yourself.

Never had use for a RCA switch myself, but I can see this might be great to have if you have numerous sources placed close to each other – and of course, speaker setups which requires it.

Not having a radio unit is no doubt a factor why I don't listen to radio all that often, even though I can easily just ask my Sonos to play a channel whenever I like. I hope you get plenty of use out of the Majority Fitzwilliam!

Luckily, I didn't have to replace the elements in the Tandberg speakers myself. I wouldn't have the skills to do so. I actually bought them through a guy I follow on Instagram who refurbishes old Tandberg amps, radios and speakers. He doesn't always put up stuff for sale, but I've been lucky to buy two Tandberg speaker pairs from him.
    Wow just set up the Radio player this looks a lot better than I was expecting and the things it can do is impressive, very happy with this purchase. Apparently there is an app where all presets etc can be set up as an alternative to doing it on the machine itself.

The RCA switch is exactly the same width as my mini amp so sits well on top. The screen is very handy as i can clearly read it 8ft away, just setting up presets now. at first i thought this unit was slow then realized i had not plugged in the antenna :))

https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-of-the-best-internet-radio-stations-for-music
    Dublab, Balamii, Soho Radio and Worldwide FM promising so far, I am a bit out of touch with the indie music scene and modern music in general.

Having an external app can be handy, though there's always the small risk of it might not still be updated (or available) sometime in the future. If the same settings are easily available on the device itself, it's no big issue of course.

It's great that the two devices have the same width. Sometimes when looking at various audio devices in the past, the size of the devices have sometimes been an issue – where they've usually been too large for what I've needed at the time.

I don't think I've heard of any of these channels before. There are a lot of interesting channels out there; some years back I happened to find Worldwide FM, and I've sometimes give some of their stuff a listen. There's a lot of music presented there which I would never have found otherwise ( a lot of indie stuff, in general). As for modern music, I've just given up trying to keep up to date with that kind of stuff. I just try and find more of the stuff I really enjoy, which wouldn't be categorised as your typical modern pop music anyway.

Never had use for a RCA switch myself, but I can see this might be great to have if you have numerous sources placed close to each other – and of course, speaker setups which requires it.

Not having a radio unit is no doubt a factor why I don't listen to radio all that often, even though I can easily just ask my Sonos to play a channel whenever I like. I hope you get plenty of use out of the Majority Fitzwilliam!

Luckily, I didn't have to replace the elements in the Tandberg speakers myself. I wouldn't have the skills to do so. I actually bought them through a guy I follow on Instagram who refurbishes old Tandberg amps, radios and speakers. He doesn't always put up stuff for sale, but I've been lucky to buy two Tandberg speaker pairs from him.

Having an external app can be handy, though there's always the small risk of it might not still be updated (or available) sometime in the future. If the same settings are easily available on the device itself, it's no big issue of course.

It's great that the two devices have the same width. Sometimes when looking at various audio devices in the past, the size of the devices have sometimes been an issue – where they've usually been too large for what I've needed at the time.

I don't think I've heard of any of these channels before. There are a lot of interesting channels out there; some years back I happened to find Worldwide FM, and I've sometimes give some of their stuff a listen. There's a lot of music presented there which I would never have found otherwise ( a lot of indie stuff, in general). As for modern music, I've just given up trying to keep up to date with that kind of stuff. I just try and find more of the stuff I really enjoy, which wouldn't be categorised as your typical modern pop music anyway.

I ended up listening to the radio for about 7 hours yesterday found some great channels, Chicago has a lot of good stations I am guessing its a popular place in the states for radio content.

I put the radio on as soon as i got up this morning, in my youth that was what i did most days.

Already i have been listening to hours of music i have never heard of, I found some pretty cool Brazilian music.

After buying the items have this week its unlikely i will buy a Home cinema amp anytime soon plus I have rediscovered how great it is having separates.

I still need a subwoofer or rather would like one, the sound is great without a subwoofer to be fair. Your mate who refurb's speakers is probably the avenue i should take and get a good second hand one.

A good feature on the app is it allows you to change the order of the channels you have added as presets, which is good for me as I just randomly added loads of channels with little thought lol
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 17,295

I ended up listening to the radio for about 7 hours yesterday found some great channels, Chicago has a lot of good stations I am guessing its a popular place in the states for radio content.

I put the radio on as soon as i got up this morning, in my youth that was what i did most days.

Already i have been listening to hours of music i have never heard of, I found some pretty cool Brazilian music.

It's usually during morning I listen to radio. Not just for music, but for news too. I've yet to find a channel that plays both good music I like to listen to, as well as news though. It's usually either or.

It's always great to find new music. It's been a while since I've found anything new, so I should probably give Worldwide FM another listen.
    After buying the items have this week its unlikely i will buy a Home cinema amp anytime soon plus I have rediscovered how great it is having separates.

I still need a subwoofer or rather would like one, the sound is great without a subwoofer to be fair. Your mate who refurb's speakers is probably the avenue i should take and get a good second hand one.

It's easy to think that you should have another device to serve a specific need, but often you can easily get devices that serves just as good for different things. I've even contemplated if my Marshall Bluetooth speaker could function as a TV speaker.

Everyone I know who has or who has previously had a subwoofer have spoken very positively about it – and it might be something I'll get at some point. I don't have a good TV setup right now, so I would need to get a new media/TV console if I want to get a subwoofer, or use the Marshall speaker for the TV.

I don't know the guy who refurbishes Tandberg stuff personally, but I've had a few online chats with him when I've purchased Tandberg gear from him. He works as an electrician, and is very familiar with this specific brand, so you can always be sure that you'll get a speaker, radio or amp that will work great. It also saves me the trouble of getting a amp or whatever that might be faulty.