How do you listen to music?

1181920212224»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 16 Posts: 23,347
    Just found a CD booklet for 25p (I gave the lady 50p lol) it only holds 12 CD's though will get the ball rolling, in good condition.

The only minor issue is one of my amps can be controlled with a remote the other is dials/switch etc.

Edited: The good news is the CD covers fit perfectly in the plastic wallet so no concerns the plastic wallet damaging the disk, though I do have some cotton inner wallets.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I had to stop using MusicBee on my PC, my security system thinks it is a virus and deleted it and wont let me reinstall it (I will have to contact my Internet security directly). In the mean time I have tried a few other apps for playing music and rather like AIMP there appears to be an endless amount of skins to customize the app, it is pretty clean and no nonsense once set to your specifications.
    Just found a CD booklet for 25p (I gave the lady 50p lol) it only holds 12 CD's though will get the ball rolling, in good condition.

The only minor issue is one of my amps can be controlled with a remote the other is dials/switch etc.

Edited: The good news is the CD covers fit perfectly in the plastic wallet so no concerns the plastic wallet damaging the disk, though I do have some cotton inner wallets.

Great find! I've yet to find booklets that are great for both the CDs and the cover artwork.

As my amps are vintage ones, they are all dial and switches. And I quite like that actually. Digital displays and remotes are great, but there's just something really nice having to actually handle the amp when adjusting sound etc.

Great find! I've yet to find booklets that are great for both the CDs and the cover artwork.

As my amps are vintage ones, they are all dial and switches. And I quite like that actually. Digital displays and remotes are great, but there's just something really nice having to actually handle the amp when adjusting sound etc.

I put he outer case in the washing machine, looks great now lol I was looking through my CD's and found albums I forgot I had, I think I need a better system... maybe index them alphabetically?

I was shocked at how many Bond albums I have and not the original scores but John Barry and Big Band cover albums that could have there own shelf lol
    edited March 17 Posts: 23,347
    edited March 17 Posts: 23,347

I put he outer case in the washing machine, looks great now lol I was looking through my CD's and found albums I forgot I had, I think I need a better system... maybe index them alphabetically?

I was shocked at how many Bond albums I have and not the original scores but John Barry and Big Band cover albums that could have there own shelf lol

It certainly helps to have a system. I sort my albums by artist, and ideally release year for each release if I got several albums from the same artist. Right now most of my albums are boxed up, so not at all sorted like I use to have them sorted!

I don't really own that many Bond releases. I got a vinyl with Bond songs from a random orchestra as a gift many years ago (which I have yet to have the chance to listen to), a compilation CD with theme songs and a few singles. That's about it, as far as I can remember. There are definitely many releases I hope to get my hands on though.

It certainly helps to have a system. I sort my albums by artist, and ideally release year for each release if I got several albums from the same artist. Right now most of my albums are boxed up, so not at all sorted like I use to have them sorted!

I don't really own that many Bond releases. I got a vinyl with Bond songs from a random orchestra as a gift many years ago (which I have yet to have the chance to listen to), a compilation CD with theme songs and a few singles. That's about it, as far as I can remember. There are definitely many releases I hope to get my hands on though.

I think I need a proper dedicated CD unit as my CD's for the most part are pilled up on one large shelf so difficult to index, I will see what is available on the Argos website they do shelves and units.I think i will do the same and alphabetize by artist.

Did you buy index cards or make your own?

I think I need a proper dedicated CD unit as my CD's for the most part are pilled up on one large shelf so difficult to index, I will see what is available on the Argos website they do shelves and units.I think i will do the same and alphabetize by artist.

I might need to find a dedicated CD unit myself too. Not sure how I can find room for one, but I might be able to if it can double as storage for other things as well.

Oh, I've not made that much of an effort in sorting my collection :)) But index cards is a good idea. There's no doubt plenty of cheap options online.

I might need to find a dedicated CD unit myself too. Not sure how I can find room for one, but I might be able to if it can double as storage for other things as well.

Oh, I've not made that much of an effort in sorting my collection :)) But index cards is a good idea. There's no doubt plenty of cheap options online.

I found a few tall CD shelf towers though despite being narrow I have limited space also 😂 I need to reorganise my movie room and move some things into other rooms.

Had a look online at index cards some a bit pricey for what they are, will make my own I think. Will likely buy a CD tower on Sunday, as its narrow I may get away with having a few letters on each shelf.
    edited March 29 Posts: 23,347
    Had another good find today, a matching set of (dark rosewood I think) CD towers? they are quite heavy in mint condition from a charity shop for £8, glad I did not bother with the stand from Argos.

In total they house 120 CD's, which means I have been able to clear a shelf that had Cd's stacked on, they are also a nice piece of furniture and look very similar to another CD tower I already own.

I have sorted most of my CD,s into genres, I actually know where my CD's are now lol if I want to find one.
    edited April 10 Posts: 23,347
    Just bought 2 new radios, one is portable FM/AM and the other is DAB/DAB+ and FM mains plug radio for the kitchen. I am moving further away from all my smart speakers. i now have 4 old school radio's.

maxresdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEmCIAKENAF8quKqQMa8AEB-AH-CYAC0AWKAgwIABABGGUgVihNMA8=&rs=AOn4CLDrzbkdzXNzB5NYmBBAfJ6ZWnx43g
    Majority Barton 2, nice little radio its the same make as my Fitzwilliam 3 internet Radio.

Nice finds, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! CD towers are actually one of those storage furniture pieces that you might find cheap these days, as many have got rid of their CD collections. I've been keeping an eye out for vintage furniture that might double as nice interior pieces as well as storage for records, but I have had no luck so far. My mother have some old wood cabinets my grandfather once made, which I might convince her to give me, should I fail to find any more suitable furniture pieces.
    Just bought 2 new radios, one is portable FM/AM and the other is DAB/DAB+ and FM mains plug radio for the kitchen. I am moving further away from all my smart speakers. i now have 4 old school radio's.

maxresdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEmCIAKENAF8quKqQMa8AEB-AH-CYAC0AWKAgwIABABGGUgVihNMA8=&rs=AOn4CLDrzbkdzXNzB5NYmBBAfJ6ZWnx43g
    Majority Barton 2, nice little radio its the same make as my Fitzwilliam 3 internet Radio.

I had a radio which looked a bit like that one years ago (this was in the early DAB days). It was a really cheaply made one though, and it eventually stopped working properly. Hopefully the radios you picked up are much better made!
    edited April 12 Posts: 23,347
    Nice finds, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! CD towers are actually one of those storage furniture pieces that you might find cheap these days, as many have got rid of their CD collections. I've been keeping an eye out for vintage furniture that might double as nice interior pieces as well as storage for records, but I have had no luck so far. My mother have some old wood cabinets my grandfather once made, which I might convince her to give me, should I fail to find any more suitable furniture pieces.

I had a radio which looked a bit like that one years ago (this was in the early DAB days). It was a really cheaply made one though, and it eventually stopped working properly. Hopefully the radios you picked up are much better made!

Gone a bit Radio mad and bought another one today, it's a Shortwave and very impressive..
    3_1024x1024.png?v=1711701907
    Mine is a newer model than above, I have also set up a wired antenna to boost signal.
    s-l1200.webp
    It's a fun learning experience seeing how it all works, thinking of buying a Morse code audio converter that the radio can pass through.
    edited April 12 Posts: 23,347
    @Torgeirtrap I am definitely benefiting from people going to smart tech, I am back tracking and going all out physical media and finding a lot of bargains.

The Majority Barton 2 similar to yours only cost me £25 good solid build, ideal for kitchen. I rather press buttons on a radio than talk to my kitchen smart speakers. I will listen to albums on smart speaker in rooms without my main set up so will still get some use.
    Hahaha, how many radios do you have now, Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

Indeed, when people are discarding their old audio equipment for new gear, there will be plenty of chances to get good equipment (and records!) at a discount or used.

I use my Sonos One in the kitchen, which has Google Assistant. I don't mind using voice commands, especially when changing music while cooking. Placing the Sonos on the top of the kitchen cupboards was the only way I could get a music setup in my kitchen, which makes the voice command functionality a must.
    Hahaha, how many radios do you have now, Fire_and_Ice_Returns?

Indeed, when people are discarding their old audio equipment for new gear, there will be plenty of chances to get good equipment (and records!) at a discount or used.

I use my Sonos One in the kitchen, which has Google Assistant. I don't mind using voice commands, especially when changing music while cooking. Placing the Sonos on the top of the kitchen cupboards was the only way I could get a music setup in my kitchen, which makes the voice command functionality a must.

Five though I really should have six radios. I donated a good Sony radio to a charity shop about a month ago, I am regretting it as I want to start collecting radios as a hobby, it went to a good cause.

Smart speakers linked to my TV will always be used, other smart speakers will use for lights and occasional music, or if I have a question lol.

Never used Sonos, I actually only own one digital album from the old Google Music store and that is TMWTGG lol
  • edited April 14 Posts: 17,281
    Haha, that's a lot! As long as you have use for all of them, it's worth it, I guess :) There's a lot of interesting radios out there though. The Tivoli Audio radios are highly rated, you have a lot of DAB radios, and even old 50's, 60's and 70's radio cabinets – which many mod with Bluetooth functionality.

At my mother's house we got an old Philips radio cabinet from the 60's. We plan to sell her house (hopefully this year), and she won't be able to keep all her furniture when she moves to an apartment or smaller home. I am considering if I want to keep the radio cabinet; the radio is in working order, but the tube amplifier probably needs service should I want to use it – rather than being just a decorative interior piece.

In addition to the Sonos, my Google Nest Wi-Fi router/speaker and my Marshall Bluetooth speaker, are my only smart speakers. I would like one in my bathroom as well, but there aren't many obvious places to place one.

I used Google to buy digital downloads of films, but that service is moved to Youtube now. It's no issue to watch the films on Youtube, but it was actually a bit nice to have a separate service. Looks like they've moved that service to Youtube and YouTube Music?
    edited April 14 Posts: 23,347
    Haha, that's a lot! As long as you have use for all of them, it's worth it, I guess :) There's a lot of interesting radios out there though. The Tivoli Audio radios are highly rated, you have a lot of DAB radios, and even old 50's, 60's and 70's radio cabinets – which many mod with Bluetooth functionality.

At my mother's house we got an old Philips radio cabinet from the 60's. We plan to sell her house (hopefully this year), and she won't be able to keep all her furniture when she moves to an apartment or smaller home. I am considering if I want to keep the radio cabinet; the radio is in working order, but the tube amplifier probably needs service should I want to use it – rather than being just a decorative interior piece.

In addition to the Sonos, my Google Nest Wi-Fi router/speaker and my Marshall Bluetooth speaker, are my only smart speakers. I would like one in my bathroom as well, but there aren't many obvious places to place one.

I used Google to buy digital downloads of films, but that service is moved to Youtube now. It's no issue to watch the films on Youtube, but it was actually a bit nice to have a separate service. Looks like they've moved that service to Youtube and YouTube Music?

I would love a radio cabinet sounds great, I would like a premium plug in radio receiver with exceptional coverage though will have to save for that.

Likewise all my movies from Google are now on YouTube, I often forget I have those films. I bought SP from Google though also bout SP on Prime lol

I just ordered two more aerials to improve signal on one of my DAB radios and also a wind up aerial that can be used outside, its a 7 meter wind up aerial, I will use that with my shortwave portable.

7XEkZTp.jpeg
    Earlier in the week I found another 2 CD storage cases, one hard plastic and the other fake leather, they house 48 CD's. They were £2 each, I have quite a few CD singles and albums in card cases that fit perfectly into the leather case.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    51kxUAVCnxL.jpg

Over the years I eventually gave up on the Grundig and similar versions of AM/FM/longwave/shortwave radios. Just didn't work well over time. I'll likely give shortwave another chance in the future when I have more time.

Recently I restarted a search and found the perfect match for my current use: listening to the WAMU FM station Saturday (Hot Jazz Saturday Night, hosted by Rob Bamburger) and Sunday (The Big Broadcast, Old Time Radio hosted by Murray Horwitz).

PRUNUS Wood Retro FM Radio Bluetooth Mini Portable Wooden Old Vintage Radio Speaker, Rechargeable Battery/USB charging, Strong Bass Enhancement, Loud Volume, Support AUX. Walnut wood with a cherry finish (1-3/8" deep, 2-1/2" long, 1-3/4" high).

It's pretty tiny and sounds great. Analog style tuning is actually superior and more clear to my experience with the digital tuning I gave up on. Cool orange light when the FM radio is in use. Blue for the Bluetooth function.

ba2bde44972318728add96ce15b31161164bf895.pnj
    edited April 21 Posts: 23,347
    51kxUAVCnxL.jpg

Over the years I eventually gave up on the Grundig and similar versions of AM/FM/longwave/shortwave radios. Just didn't work well over time. I'll likely give shortwave another chance in the future when I have more time.

Recently I restarted a search and found the perfect match for my current use: listening to the WAMU FM station Saturday (Hot Jazz Saturday Night, hosted by Rob Bamburger) and Sunday (The Big Broadcast, Old Time Radio hosted by Murray Horwitz).

PRUNUS Wood Retro FM Radio Bluetooth Mini Portable Wooden Old Vintage Radio Speaker, Rechargeable Battery/USB charging, Strong Bass Enhancement, Loud Volume, Support AUX. Walnut wood with a cherry finish (1-3/8" deep, 2-1/2" long, 1-3/4" high).

It's pretty tiny and sounds great. Analog style tuning is actually superior and more clear to my experience with the digital tuning I gave up on. Cool orange light when the FM radio is in use. Blue for the Bluetooth function.

ba2bde44972318728add96ce15b31161164bf895.pnj

I like the old style dial and wood effect on the PRUNUS, I do miss my 60's wooden record player it was some piece of furniture I was foolish to discard it.

I also have an internet radio which can pick up 25'000 stations worldwide, I was thinking of starting a radio station thread on here as I am interested to see what stations I am not aware of not sure it would get much interest.

I prefer the old school analogue way I find that I have more luck finding stations on an evening as many shortwave and AM stations only broadcast for a few hours, in the UK during the day i can't find much on SW at all in this country. There are a number of stations I have found on an evening I have had to use one of my booster antennas and when indoors and had to seek out the best spot for signals. TV's and PC's and similar equipment as you will know cause havoc with signals.

I listen to JAZZ24 https://www.jazz24.org/ the majority of preset stations on my Internet radio are from the USA.

Edited: Just found and listening to WAMU 88.5 based in Washington D.C, is that the station you mentioned?
    Those CD storage cases look pretty nice, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! £2 each and housing that many discs makes that purchase a steal.

That PRUNUS radio is certainly unique looking; almost like something out of a steampunk novel, or something. Nice touch with the orange/blue light too.

I think it was Worldwide FM I mentioned in an earlier comment. I haven't listened to any of their broadcasts in a long time, but they do feature great stuff I wouldn't be able to stumble upon anywhere else. I'm taking notes of those channels you mention here though! Jazz in one of my go-to genres.
    Those CD storage cases look pretty nice, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! £2 each and housing that many discs makes that purchase a steal.

That PRUNUS radio is certainly unique looking; almost like something out of a steampunk novel, or something. Nice touch with the orange/blue light too.

I think it was Worldwide FM I mentioned in an earlier comment. I haven't listened to any of their broadcasts in a long time, but they do feature great stuff I wouldn't be able to stumble upon anywhere else. I'm taking notes of those channels you mention here though! Jazz in one of my go-to genres.

I added WorldwideFM to my presets after you mentioned the channel its very good listened to some music on there yesterday., all the preset channels I have on my internet radio that I have so far searched for on my PC all have had websites as an alternate way of listening.

I am really embracing the physical media experience just ordered one of these small stands, they are compatible with Cd's also.

61ZJtCIBMoS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61Evt62tIhS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The one I ordered is slightly darker in color.