How do you listen to music?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,378
    Just this second ordered the Creative T100 speakers, 18% off on Prime day sales, i had only 6 minutes left before the deal expired lol so went for it. Watched endless reviews they appear to be good for the price and what i need them for.

I really do like my Creative T10 speakers so will have to find another use for them as don't want to get rid of them.

At 18% off, you might not lose much should you not like the Creative T100 speakers, and want to sell them later.
    I had a very simple rule for how I approached my CD clearout. I asked myself "Am I likely to ever take this CD out of the shelf and give it a listen?". If I couldn't be certain that I would, it went in the clearout box. The CDs I have left will get play time, even though it's been a while since I've had a chance to use my CD player. The only thing left is finding a permanent storage solution – be it a CD book or a nice storage box of some sort. Maybe with some dividers to sort by artist, for example.

I've actually used the radio just as much as streaming music since I got my Sonos. I often listen to radio in the car, but I've never had much of a habit of listening to radio at home, until I got a speaker in the kitchen.

I am tempted to get a speaker for the bathroom, but I don't have an outlet to connect one into. I am considering having another power outlet installed though, and that will make things easier.

That reminds me i forgot to check if there were any deals on CD wallet/storage.

Yesterday I did sign up for Unlimited music on Amazon Music, I tend to do it each summer for a short while as that's when i have music on the most.

I have a few battery powered shower Bluetooth speakers which you charge up with USB, one of them is water proof. i do use them when i remember to charge them up lol

The CD books I've seen haven't cost much, and there's probably not much to save on deals anyway (though I might be wrong!).

I have considered a simple bluetooth USB speaker, but I don't want the hassle (or rather, constantly forgetting) of having to recharge the speaker. There are many good USB speaker options out there though.

I did consider getting another music streaming subscription for the summer myself, but I've been to busy for it to be worth the cost. Spotify covers most of my needs anyway.
    3L DVD Sleeves with Binder Holes for DVD Storage Wallet/Holder
    71qBjspI1IL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg
    A YouTube channel suggested these sleeves for DVD's great idea, definitely going to get this. Will see if I can find a cd version as it will be good to keep the covers.

Interesting. I have my sleeved films loose in boxes, much like the CD collection. A few binders like this one could be an option for sure!

I saw a variety of CD booklets, the ones that stood out were the hard case ones though they cost a little bit more. I mentioned getting rid of the DVD boxes to a friend they said no don't do it lol so now I am in 2 minds. when on leave next week I am throwing out a lot of stuff i will assess what space I can create before fully committing to getting rid of CD and DVD boxes. I do kind of like the idea of flicking through a ring binder of music and DVD's though, it will make the content very easy to access.

The jewel cases for CD's and DVD boxes provide more protection than sleeves do of course, so from a preservation point of view you might be better off keeping them (although a ring binder will provide some more protection than loose sleeves in a box). For me, saving space was more important than the upsides of CD/DVD cases, though I did keep the cases for a selection of more important titles.

Also if you ever consider selling DVDs or CDs, it's better to keep the cases, I imagine.

True regarding preservation, i have another week until I start sorting stuff out another solution may present itself. Or maybe I should go with the binder and just box up the empty cases in case I ever need them.

I was looking at the CD rectangular bags yesterday, that you put the jewel cases in so nothing is disguarded. My only concern is how long would the bags last, are they durable enough.

That's obviously an option, and empty cases are easy to store anyway.

It's definitely worth taking the time finding bags that are durable enough. I think the sleeves I ended up with are decent enough; there are probably better options out there, but I haven't had many CDs in use after I bought the sleeves. If I ever find the time, I might rip some of the CDs as well, just to have digital CD quality files too.

Been reading a lot of reviews on the CD/DVD disk and sleeve plastic wallets. The more I read the more I see reviewers warning of how the plastic wallet with long term exposure can damage the disk due to chemical reaction.

That's an issue with some sleeves, of course. For the CDs themselves, I place them in paper sleeves within the plastic sleeve, if possible. Had to search a while until I found the order in my inbox, but the sleeves I ended up with, are these from Slim Disc.

Funny you should mention that I have been looking at paper sleeves to use as an innard, its just a matter of finding the right size so it is not visible when placed between the CD cover, so far not found anything below CD cover art.

My new speakers are great tested them with a lot of music genres and games, worthwhile purchase much better than me old PC speakers.

The inner paper sleeves by Slim Disc will look like this in use. Not perfect, but for me who won't have the CD collection on display, it does an alright job.

That's great. It's like all other tech; components keep getting better (and often smaller too), which makes it easier to make good, small speakers.

Thanks for posting that I will look for them they look perfect, the inner sleeves i found were a few mm taller than the CD art sleeve.

These are the best options I've found. The white paper sleeve is clearly visible, but at least the plastic outer sleeve covers the inner sleeve and the artwork.

I found 100 for £5 of the white paper sleeve I will get those. Been looking at boxes to put the CD's in, it really will cut down on space. Apparently glue vapors cause the damage to the disks in the plastic wallets.

That sounds like a good deal. Haven't found the optimal boxes for my CDs yet, but I'm sure I'll find a solution at some point. As for glue vapors, that makes sense; CDs, like any physical formats, have their weaknesses.
    Off topic @Torgeirtrap just been looking round charity shops and found a unopened brand new WACOM large creative pen tablet, only £19.99. I know you are an expert with these things, just tried it on G.I.M.P. 2.10 software and surprised how accurate this thing is whilst drawing. Been after one of these things for ages.

That's a really good price for a Wacom tablet! As long as Wacom software is compatible with whatever operating system you use and will use in years to come, you might have found yourself a tablet that can last years. The only issue I have experienced with my Wacom (a Cintiq), are the cables that came with the tablet, which got worn after much use. Wacom offers spare parts though, so that was easy to replace.

For work, I'm using an iPad Pro with Apple pencil these days. I am thinking of making a home desk setup where I can have the Wacom ready whenever I want to use it.

The Wacom I got is the medium One by Wacom, currently retailing at £68.I have downloaded a few Wacom apps, works great though will use with more advanced software. I need to look online and find the software than enables more customisation of pen etc. The tablet was still in its cellophane unopened it had all the spare pen nibs etc never used. When on leave I will do a deep dive in what I can do with it. I have watched a few YouTube videos already, the reviews are good considering it's seen as a budget tablet. It's ideal for me being a beginner with drawing tablets.

I found some great looking black boxes ideal for CD's though we're a bit expensive. I will shop around I may stumble on something in the local hardware shops or general stores.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 17,294
    Just this second ordered the Creative T100 speakers, 18% off on Prime day sales, i had only 6 minutes left before the deal expired lol so went for it. Watched endless reviews they appear to be good for the price and what i need them for.

I really do like my Creative T10 speakers so will have to find another use for them as don't want to get rid of them.

At 18% off, you might not lose much should you not like the Creative T100 speakers, and want to sell them later.
    I had a very simple rule for how I approached my CD clearout. I asked myself "Am I likely to ever take this CD out of the shelf and give it a listen?". If I couldn't be certain that I would, it went in the clearout box. The CDs I have left will get play time, even though it's been a while since I've had a chance to use my CD player. The only thing left is finding a permanent storage solution – be it a CD book or a nice storage box of some sort. Maybe with some dividers to sort by artist, for example.

I've actually used the radio just as much as streaming music since I got my Sonos. I often listen to radio in the car, but I've never had much of a habit of listening to radio at home, until I got a speaker in the kitchen.

I am tempted to get a speaker for the bathroom, but I don't have an outlet to connect one into. I am considering having another power outlet installed though, and that will make things easier.

Yesterday I did sign up for Unlimited music on Amazon Music, I tend to do it each summer for a short while as that's when i have music on the most.

I have a few battery powered shower Bluetooth speakers which you charge up with USB, one of them is water proof. i do use them when i remember to charge them up lol

The CD books I've seen haven't cost much, and there's probably not much to save on deals anyway (though I might be wrong!).

I have considered a simple bluetooth USB speaker, but I don't want the hassle (or rather, constantly forgetting) of having to recharge the speaker. There are many good USB speaker options out there though.

I did consider getting another music streaming subscription for the summer myself, but I've been to busy for it to be worth the cost. Spotify covers most of my needs anyway.
    A YouTube channel suggested these sleeves for DVD's great idea, definitely going to get this. Will see if I can find a cd version as it will be good to keep the covers.

Interesting. I have my sleeved films loose in boxes, much like the CD collection. A few binders like this one could be an option for sure!

I saw a variety of CD booklets, the ones that stood out were the hard case ones though they cost a little bit more. I mentioned getting rid of the DVD boxes to a friend they said no don't do it lol so now I am in 2 minds. when on leave next week I am throwing out a lot of stuff i will assess what space I can create before fully committing to getting rid of CD and DVD boxes. I do kind of like the idea of flicking through a ring binder of music and DVD's though, it will make the content very easy to access.

The jewel cases for CD's and DVD boxes provide more protection than sleeves do of course, so from a preservation point of view you might be better off keeping them (although a ring binder will provide some more protection than loose sleeves in a box). For me, saving space was more important than the upsides of CD/DVD cases, though I did keep the cases for a selection of more important titles.

Also if you ever consider selling DVDs or CDs, it's better to keep the cases, I imagine.

True regarding preservation, i have another week until I start sorting stuff out another solution may present itself. Or maybe I should go with the binder and just box up the empty cases in case I ever need them.

I was looking at the CD rectangular bags yesterday, that you put the jewel cases in so nothing is disguarded. My only concern is how long would the bags last, are they durable enough.

It's definitely worth taking the time finding bags that are durable enough. I think the sleeves I ended up with are decent enough; there are probably better options out there, but I haven't had many CDs in use after I bought the sleeves. If I ever find the time, I might rip some of the CDs as well, just to have digital CD quality files too.

Been reading a lot of reviews on the CD/DVD disk and sleeve plastic wallets. The more I read the more I see reviewers warning of how the plastic wallet with long term exposure can damage the disk due to chemical reaction.

That's an issue with some sleeves, of course. For the CDs themselves, I place them in paper sleeves within the plastic sleeve, if possible. Had to search a while until I found the order in my inbox, but the sleeves I ended up with, are these from Slim Disc.

Funny you should mention that I have been looking at paper sleeves to use as an innard, its just a matter of finding the right size so it is not visible when placed between the CD cover, so far not found anything below CD cover art.

My new speakers are great tested them with a lot of music genres and games, worthwhile purchase much better than me old PC speakers.

The inner paper sleeves by Slim Disc will look like this in use. Not perfect, but for me who won't have the CD collection on display, it does an alright job.

That's great. It's like all other tech; components keep getting better (and often smaller too), which makes it easier to make good, small speakers.

Thanks for posting that I will look for them they look perfect, the inner sleeves i found were a few mm taller than the CD art sleeve.

These are the best options I've found. The white paper sleeve is clearly visible, but at least the plastic outer sleeve covers the inner sleeve and the artwork.

I found 100 for £5 of the white paper sleeve I will get those. Been looking at boxes to put the CD's in, it really will cut down on space. Apparently glue vapors cause the damage to the disks in the plastic wallets.

That sounds like a good deal. Haven't found the optimal boxes for my CDs yet, but I'm sure I'll find a solution at some point. As for glue vapors, that makes sense; CDs, like any physical formats, have their weaknesses.
    Off topic @Torgeirtrap just been looking round charity shops and found a unopened brand new WACOM large creative pen tablet, only £19.99. I know you are an expert with these things, just tried it on G.I.M.P. 2.10 software and surprised how accurate this thing is whilst drawing. Been after one of these things for ages.

That's a really good price for a Wacom tablet! As long as Wacom software is compatible with whatever operating system you use and will use in years to come, you might have found yourself a tablet that can last years. The only issue I have experienced with my Wacom (a Cintiq), are the cables that came with the tablet, which got worn after much use. Wacom offers spare parts though, so that was easy to replace.

For work, I'm using an iPad Pro with Apple pencil these days. I am thinking of making a home desk setup where I can have the Wacom ready whenever I want to use it.

The Wacom I got is the medium One by Wacom, currently retailing at £68.I have downloaded a few Wacom apps, works great though will use with more advanced software. I need to look online and find the software than enables more customisation of pen etc. The tablet was still in its cellophane unopened it had all the spare pen nibs etc never used. When on leave I will do a deep dive in what I can do with it. I have watched a few YouTube videos already, the reviews are good considering it's seen as a budget tablet. It's ideal for me being a beginner with drawing tablets.

I found some great looking black boxes ideal for CD's though we're a bit expensive. I will shop around I may stumble on something in the local hardware shops or general stores.

The purchase would have been a good one even if the pen and nibs were used – it's a great one seeing as it's all unused! I don't have many suggestions as to the customisation of the pen; the only major thing I've ever done, is to adjust the pen pressure to fit my drawing style. Straight out of the box the pen pressure was too sensitive, so I've always made sure to having to use a bit more pressure, allowing slower movements.

I don't like spending much on storage, so I try to avoid the fancy stuff for more all-purpose kind of boxes etc. I've tried finding good storage boxes at the local hardware stores, but failed at finding anyone that I liked. I'm sure something will turn up, though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The purchase would have been a good one even if the pen and nibs were used – it's a great one seeing as it's all unused! I don't have many suggestions as to the customisation of the pen; the only major thing I've ever done, is to adjust the pen pressure to fit my drawing style. Straight out of the box the pen pressure was too sensitive, so I've always made sure to having to use a bit more pressure, allowing slower movements.

I don't like spending much on storage, so I try to avoid the fancy stuff for more all-purpose kind of boxes etc. I've tried finding good storage boxes at the local hardware stores, but failed at finding anyone that I liked. I'm sure something will turn up, though.

I downloaded Wacom desktop from there website ffor Windows, not had chance to have a proper look though there appears to be a lot you can do with it. To be honest even without downloading the Wacom drivers the tablet was just plug in and play on Windows 11.

I downloaded Wacom desktop from there website ffor Windows, not had chance to have a proper look though there appears to be a lot you can do with it. To be honest even without downloading the Wacom drivers the tablet was just plug in and play on Windows 11.

I had some connectivity issues initially when I got my Wacom years ago, but I think there was a driver issue, which was easily resolved by downloading an older driver. Your tablet is probably newer, and Wacom have no doubt sorted out any driver issues. It could have been a particular issue between the driver and the OS on my Macbook at the time.

I had some connectivity issues initially when I got my Wacom years ago, but I think there was a driver issue, which was easily resolved by downloading an older driver. Your tablet is probably newer, and Wacom have no doubt sorted out any driver issues. It could have been a particular issue between the driver and the OS on my Macbook at the time.

I am pretty good at using Graphic Design software but god my free hand drawing is poor :)) I am determined to improve. I think my first port of call is learning to use the pressure nib and configuring it correctly.

Windows 11 is great for just about every device I have plugged it, the drivers update immediately. Though i think before I installed the Wacom software it just treated the graphic tablet as a mouse.

I am pretty good at using Graphic Design software but god my free hand drawing is poor :)) I am determined to improve. I think my first port of call is learning to use the pressure nib and configuring it correctly.

Windows 11 is great for just about every device I have plugged it, the drivers update immediately. Though i think before I installed the Wacom software it just treated the graphic tablet as a mouse.

Drawing on a tablet is a different experience than drawing on paper too. Despite having exclusively used tablets for illustration work for many years, I'm still getting used to it. On my work iPad I have a screen protector with a paper like texture. It's not perfect, but the touch and feel is much more comfortable, to me at least. Don't know if there are similar ones for Wacom though.

Yes, that's pretty much what the tablet worked like for me too, before installing the software.

A handy thing you're now able to do, is image editing using the tablet. I haven't used the tablet for that purpose many times, but I remember editing a few images with the tablet back when I was a design student; doing closeup editing on details for example.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,697
    I'm not sure I've followed up on all of this. But regarding the stability of CDs, I do remember reading in the mid-80s (when I bought my first CDs), that those discs would be unreadable within a few years. Bullshit! I can still identify the first few CDs I purchased in 1986 or so, and they still work as fine as they did then. I've also been keeping them in their original or, at worst, replacement jewel cases. My only issue with jewel cases is that when buying CDs online, some of those "teeth" arresting the discs turn off as having broken off, or in some cases there is some crack in the outer casing. But it has nothing to do with the disc itself being unreadable. I've also kept collecting jewel cases and their parts from other uses and employ them to provide any discs that need it with a new casing, although it serves for nothing more than putting them into my shelf.

Drawing on a tablet is a different experience than drawing on paper too. Despite having exclusively used tablets for illustration work for many years, I'm still getting used to it. On my work iPad I have a screen protector with a paper like texture. It's not perfect, but the touch and feel is much more comfortable, to me at least. Don't know if there are similar ones for Wacom though.

Yes, that's pretty much what the tablet worked like for me too, before installing the software.

A handy thing you're now able to do, is image editing using the tablet. I haven't used the tablet for that purpose many times, but I remember editing a few images with the tablet back when I was a design student; doing closeup editing on details for example.

Good point to start with image editing is likely how I will use the tablet. Do you find it easier using a tablet with a screen or using it the track pad way (not sure what the term is). It's almost a tear since I did any new designs hopefully the pad will spark some creativity.

My PC desk is cluttered and not ideal for placing the pad on I need to sort that.

On leave now so will start soring my CD's, I have four CD towers I will donate them to charity shop when done. I still need to find decent boxes for CD storage first.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've followed up on all of this. But regarding the stability of CDs, I do remember reading in the mid-80s (when I bought my first CDs), that those discs would be unreadable within a few years. Bullshit! I can still identify the first few CDs I purchased in 1986 or so, and they still work as fine as they did then. I've also been keeping them in their original or, at worst, replacement jewel cases. My only issue with jewel cases is that when buying CDs online, some of those "teeth" arresting the discs turn off as having broken off, or in some cases there is some crack in the outer casing. But it has nothing to do with the disc itself being unreadable. I've also kept collecting jewel cases and their parts from other uses and employ them to provide any discs that need it with a new casing, although it serves for nothing more than putting them into my shelf.

I have CD's decades old, I think as long as you look after them they will probably last forever. I had a CD listening evening yesterday right now it's my favourite listening format, streaming music has all the bells and whistles though I find CD's a more enjoyable listening experience on my old CD player.

Good point to start with image editing is likely how I will use the tablet. Do you find it easier using a tablet with a screen or using it the track pad way (not sure what the term is). It's almost a tear since I did any new designs hopefully the pad will spark some creativity.

My PC desk is cluttered and not ideal for placing the pad on I need to sort that.

On leave now so will start soring my CD's, I have four CD towers I will donate them to charity shop when done. I still need to find decent boxes for CD storage first.

I definitely prefer Wacom tablets with a dedicated screen, which the Cintiq has. I've tried other tablets without a dedicated screen, and never felt comfortable using them, which is why I ended up with the Cintiq. I'm sure the tablet will be a creativity spark for you though; it certainly has for me. Having a dedicated spot to place it can be good though. It makes it much easier to sit down and take the time to draw something.

Before sorting my collection, I had a DVD tower. It took up a lot of space, and I certainly don't miss it!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

My CD collection include some older releases too, and they all work perfectly.

Not so much for CD purchases, but I've had several DVD/and Blu-ray releases delivered with cracked cases or broken "teeth", leaving the disc(s) loose in the case. I think it's only luck that none of these have been unplayable or damaged – but it also shows that the discs can take a beating and still work fine.
    @Torgeirtrap without a dedicated screen it does effect the hand to eye coordination which takes some getting used to, it will be a lot easier to use with a dedicated spot on desk for sure. It's cool tech none the less, I like how the pad tracks the pen when hovering.

Trying to find a plastic wallet to test how the CD's will look, I have a few with my PC stuff somewhere and innards.
    @Torgeirtrap without a dedicated screen it does effect the hand to eye coordination which takes some getting used to, it will be a lot easier to use with a dedicated spot on desk for sure. It's cool tech none the less, I like how the pad tracks the pen when hovering.

Trying to find a plastic wallet to test how the CD's will look, I have a few with my PC stuff somewhere and innards.

Oh, definitely. I know people who are used to track pad tablets though, so it's a matter of preference most of all. It's definitely cool tech, like you say, and I'm not at all surprised that many illustrators – both professional ones and hobby illustrators – switch from pen and paper to tablets. I've actually found out that I've saved money on the Cintiq, from the money saved on drawing supplies.

I did the same before ordering the sleeves I use now. I had a few plastic sleeves (which didn't fit artwork), and I quickly saw that sleeves was the best option for me.
    CFESS68.jpg
    Had a stroke of luck this morning found 5 immaculate DVD disk and sleeve storage folders for only £1 each in a charity shop, on role finding bargains of late. Finding these folders has saved me some money. I have filled 2 folders so far, I think I will throw away the original plastic cases, I have to be ruthless and commit to clearing space.
    CFESS68.jpg
    Had a stroke of luck this morning found 5 immaculate DVD disk and sleeve storage folders for only £1 each in a charity shop, on role finding bargains of late. Finding these folders has saved me some money. I have filled 2 folders so far, I think I will throw away the original plastic cases, I have to be ruthless and commit to clearing space.

Those look really nice, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. How is the quality of the folders?
    CFESS68.jpg

Those look really nice, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. How is the quality of the folders?

Excellent barely looks used, three of the folder have fabric sleeves at the back for two disk which is added bonus for double disk movies. Even with the 5 folders its not nearly enough, I found more boxes with DVD's in, I will have to select certain DVD's that I don't want and donate to charity. I can see space starting to appear in my spare room, I have ripped up a lot of empty boxes also.
    "all the folders are black fake leather, they look expensive. The lady in the shop said she had just reduced them as there was no interest.

Everything is digital these days, though a few of us still value physical media.

Its great just flicking through the folder, I am likely to watch a few films I otherwise would not bother with as it would've been too time consuming to look through storage boxes previously.
    CFESS68.jpg

Excellent barely looks used, three of the folder have fabric sleeves at the back for two disk which is added bonus for double disk movies. Even with the 5 folders its not nearly enough, I found more boxes with DVD's in, I will have to select certain DVD's that I don't want and donate to charity. I can see space starting to appear in my spare room, I have ripped up a lot of empty boxes also.

That's handy! I have TV shows that include six to eight discs, and have no good solution for storing them when I store them in sleeves.

I got rid of a big amount of films when I downsized my collection. There were a lot of films there I had little need to watch again.
    "all the folders are black fake leather, they look expensive. The lady in the shop said she had just reduced them as there was no interest.

Everything is digital these days, though a few of us still value physical media.

Its great just flicking through the folder, I am likely to watch a few films I otherwise would not bother with as it would've been too time consuming to look through storage boxes previously.

Physical media is very much for those that holds particular interest in these releases – and the market for things like CD/DVD folders is no doubt very slim. I like to have some releases on physical media, but I buy considerably less these days than before. The titles I do buy are often releases I won't find on any streaming service.
    CFESS68.jpg

That's handy! I have TV shows that include six to eight discs, and have no good solution for storing them when I store them in sleeves.

I got rid of a big amount of films when I downsized my collection. There were a lot of films there I had little need to watch again.

Physical media is very much for those that holds particular interest in these releases – and the market for things like CD/DVD folders is no doubt very slim. I like to have some releases on physical media, but I buy considerably less these days than before. The titles I do buy are often releases I won't find on any streaming service.

There are certain movies and box sets I will keep in there original boxes though there are many DVD's I also have on other formats. For example I have all the Fast and Furious movies on Bluray so I will give away the DVD's I have of the same films.

I current;y have the folders on a table they are wide enough to stand upright which is handy, they actually look good aesthetically, they match a lot of my decor in my movie room, literally all my furniture's black lol
    CFESS68.jpg

There are certain movies and box sets I will keep in there original boxes though there are many DVD's I also have on other formats. For example I have all the Fast and Furious movies on Bluray so I will give away the DVD's I have of the same films.

I current;y have the folders on a table they are wide enough to stand upright which is handy, they actually look good aesthetically, they match a lot of my decor in my movie room, literally all my furniture's black lol

I have a few releases that are to tricky or too good looking to replace with sleeves. As an example, my Blu-ray set of the complete Mission:Impossible original TV series takes up considerable space on one of my shelves right now, but the set itself is quite small considering the number of discs it contains. The packaging is also too nice to throw away.

That's my main concern about folders; they need to be able to stand upright on their own, because the weight of several discs on top of each other can't be good.
    CFESS68.jpg

I have a few releases that are to tricky or too good looking to replace with sleeves. As an example, my Blu-ray set of the complete Mission:Impossible original TV series takes up considerable space on one of my shelves right now, but the set itself is quite small considering the number of discs it contains. The packaging is also too nice to throw away.

That's my main concern about folders; they need to be able to stand upright on their own, because the weight of several discs on top of each other can't be good.

Good point regarding disks being stacked, I did not consider that. Great boxset I am a fan of the Mission Impossible series, the problem is they never seem to rerun the later series here, I should buy that set. I may even consider buying the short lived reboot series. I decided not to remove any Bluray from there original boxes it will just be DVD's. My CD's I have put on hold for now, when I have finished clearing other stuff I will see if I still need to streamline my CD's. For now I have moved my most listened CD's to a shelf which is easy to get to.
    CFESS68.jpg

Good point regarding disks being stacked, I did not consider that. Great boxset I am a fan of the Mission Impossible series, the problem is they never seem to rerun the later series here, I should buy that set. I may even consider buying the short lived reboot series. I decided not to remove any Bluray from there original boxes it will just be DVD's. My CD's I have put on hold for now, when I have finished clearing other stuff I will see if I still need to streamline my CD's. For now I have moved my most listened CD's to a shelf which is easy to get to.

Yes, M:I was a great series – and the video quality of the Blu-ray release is really good, so I can definitely recommend it. Since M:I and similar older shows aren't available on any streaming services here in Norway, I jumped at the chance to get the box set. I just hope we'll get Blu-ray releases of shows like Hawaii Five-O etc. too!

I haven't done this with my CD collection, which is small enough not to, but my movie collection is sorted in boxes where my most watched films and series are in a box of their own. This makes it easier to just pick them out whenever I want to watch them. And if there's a film I haven't watched in a long time, I know it's likely in one of the other boxes.
    CFESS68.jpg

Yes, M:I was a great series – and the video quality of the Blu-ray release is really good, so I can definitely recommend it. Since M:I and similar older shows aren't available on any streaming services here in Norway, I jumped at the chance to get the box set. I just hope we'll get Blu-ray releases of shows like Hawaii Five-O etc. too!

I haven't done this with my CD collection, which is small enough not to, but my movie collection is sorted in boxes where my most watched films and series are in a box of their own. This makes it easier to just pick them out whenever I want to watch them. And if there's a film I haven't watched in a long time, I know it's likely in one of the other boxes.

Several hours later and filled five folders lol I went back to the shop they had 2 more folders so got seven in total which will house 145 DVD,s. when looking through my storage i found even more DVD's in boxes :-O already got a pile of films going to charity shop. these folders are awesome I really struck lucky. I have already watched a few films on DVD that I have not watched in ages. One of my folders is exclusively full with only Will Ferrel DVD's lol debating whether to bother putting sticker labels on the spine of the binders. Decided to keep Cd's as they are even though i just bought another 3 CD's lol
    CFESS68.jpg

Several hours later and filled five folders lol I went back to the shop they had 2 more folders so got seven in total which will house 145 DVD,s. when looking through my storage i found even more DVD's in boxes :-O already got a pile of films going to charity shop. these folders are awesome I really struck lucky. I have already watched a few films on DVD that I have not watched in ages. One of my folders is exclusively full with only Will Ferrel DVD's lol debating whether to bother putting sticker labels on the spine of the binders. Decided to keep Cd's as they are even though i just bought another 3 CD's lol

Haha, I had the same thing happen to me when I did this; I found several movies in a cabinet, which meant I had to buy more sleeves. Fortunately it gave me the opportunity to rediscover a few films I had forgot about – all of which I've watched several times since.
    CFESS68.jpg

Haha, I had the same thing happen to me when I did this; I found several movies in a cabinet, which meant I had to buy more sleeves. Fortunately it gave me the opportunity to rediscover a few films I had forgot about – all of which I've watched several times since.

I meant houses 145 movies, with the double disk sleeves in total there a 100+ extra spaces for disks.

I looked on online for tall narrow CD towers yesterday then realized I don't even have the space for that.
    There are many CD rack solutions out there, so I'm sure you'll find options that will fit your place. Some years ago I think Ikea sold these storage chests of drawers similar to the Ikea Moppe – which had dimensions that could fit CDs. The Moppe has other dimensions though, but if it didn't I would have got a few of these for my CD collection.

moppe-minikommode-furu__1169758_pe892540_s5.jpg?f=s
    There are many CD rack solutions out there, so I'm sure you'll find options that will fit your place. Some years ago I think Ikea sold these storage chests of drawers similar to the Ikea Moppe – which had dimensions that could fit CDs. The Moppe has other dimensions though, but if it didn't I would have got a few of these for my CD collection.

A desk top CD drawer solution is a good idea, back in the 90's they were easy to get hold of for CD ROM storage, I had quite a few..

Its my birthday soon so got the next best thing to the Mission Impossible TV Boxset and bought the TV soundtrack. I had it to listen through streaming though wanted to own it, some great themes...

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

A desk top CD drawer solution is a good idea, back in the 90's they were easy to get hold of for CD ROM storage, I had quite a few..

There were floppy disk ones too! As for the pre Ikea Moppe chests of drawers, I seem to remember having seen a video of a guy showing a room with wall-mounted chests of drawers, which mean he had floor to ceiling CD storage, with a simple (and cheap) Ikea hack. Couldn't find the video now though, unfortunately.
    Its my birthday soon so got the next best thing to the Mission Impossible TV Boxset and bought the TV soundtrack. I had it to listen through streaming though wanted to own it, some great themes...

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

There are plenty of great tunes from the TV series. Everything Lalo Schifrin did was fantastic, but the TV series had other great composers too, like Hugo Montenegro and Gerald Fried.

There were floppy disk ones too! As for the pre Ikea Moppe chests of drawers, I seem to remember having seen a video of a guy showing a room with wall-mounted chests of drawers, which mean he had floor to ceiling CD storage, with a simple (and cheap) Ikea hack. Couldn't find the video now though, unfortunately.

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

There are plenty of great tunes from the TV series. Everything Lalo Schifrin did was fantastic, but the TV series had other great composers too, like Hugo Montenegro and Gerald Fried.

Just bought another 4 CD's today, what is great to see is when i am looking at CD's in shops a lot of younger generation seems interested in the format which is good, they favor something tangible rather than streaming digital.

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

Just bought another 4 CD's today, what is great to see is when i am looking at CD's in shops a lot of younger generation seems interested in the format which is good, they favor something tangible rather than streaming digital.

I think the more digital we get, there will be a certain niche market for physical media and products, like vinyl, which has gone from non existent to a popular format again. Some artists have cassette releases of their albums too these days, and CD might get a revival at some point. For now though, the CD market looks small, and it's a great opportunity to pick up physical releases for more affordable prices than vinyl.

81mZf1L5CrL._SS500_.jpg

I think the more digital we get, there will be a certain niche market for physical media and products, like vinyl, which has gone from non existent to a popular format again. Some artists have cassette releases of their albums too these days, and CD might get a revival at some point. For now though, the CD market looks small, and it's a great opportunity to pick up physical releases for more affordable prices than vinyl.

I often think if all the streaming services and internet went down at least I have my more analogue media to fall back on.