Do you believe in aliens and UFOs?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2023 Posts: 17,810
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    If this doesn't convince you that aliens and UFOs are real then nothing will:

Once again it is so easy and so safe to make fun of any subject which challenges our narrow and, often, ignorant perspective that we are top dog. The ongoing and sad failure of human beings is thinking we are the top of the food chain. More fool us. Well done.

I can see why you may say that but I think you fundamentally misunderstand. I'm actually the creator of this thread. I am in fact open minded on the existence of aliens, UFOs, ghosts and the fortean more generally. I have a good few vintage issues of the now defunct respected ufology journal the Flying Saucer Review from the 1950s onwards and its learned and scientific approach to its subject makes for fascinating reading. Here's its website:

http://www.fsr.org.uk/

That video was merely intended as a fun little interlude and not intended to discredit the subject of ufology at all. It's important not to become too po-faced about a speculative subject like UFOs and aliens. All we have at the minute really is theories and a theory isn't worth a damn unless it can be definitively proven. I don't think we're at that stage yet with UFOs and the existence of aliens, any more than we are at that stage with ghosts, time travellers or many other aspects of forteana.
    If this doesn't convince you that aliens and UFOs are real then nothing will:

Once again it is so easy and so safe to make fun of any subject which challenges our narrow and, often, ignorant perspective that we are top dog. The ongoing and sad failure of human beings is thinking we are the top of the food chain. More fool us. Well done.

I can see why you may say that but I think you fundamentally misunderstand. I'm actually the creator of this thread. I am in fact open minded on the existence of aliens, UFOs, ghosts and the fortean more generally. I have a good few vintage issues of the now defunct respected ufology journal the Flying Saucer Review from the 1950s onwards and its learned and scientific approach to its subject makes for fascinating reading. Here's its website:

http://www.fsr.org.uk/

That video was merely intended as a fun little interlude and not intended to discredit the subject of ufology at all. It's important not to become too po-faced about a speculative subject like UFOs and aliens. All we have at the minute really is theories and a theory isn't worth a damn unless it can be definitively proven. I don't think we're at that stage yet with UFOs and the existence of aliens, any more than we are at that stage with ghosts, time travellers or many other aspects of forteana.

Cool. It's a subject I am, as you can see, deeply passionate about. Having spoken to witnesses who have had their lives turned upside down and inside out, I know the pain it can cause. So I take it very seriously.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Haha. I didn't even have to click on that vid. Is that the Pete Price is a lizard meme? I used to listen to that phone in every Sunday night just for the trolls to come on and Pete to get wound up. Memories.

Anyway been reading this thread from afar and gone down the rabbit hole a bit recently on reddit because some of it is good fun. However, the credibility of those who may be telling the truth is ruined by people trying to get their two minutes of fame with obviously fake stories and CGI videos of greys being disected while alive. My two penneth is that I think statistically it's possible that aliens exist and I do believe they are out there simply because of how large the universe is. However, that fact is a double edged sword too. Due to how big the universe is why do we keep insisting we're special enough to have had aliens, against all those odds, and taking into consideration how small the earth is when there's billions of stars, visit us and stick us with anal probes?

I keep thinking of that thing that happened in Vegas lately, was it? And you know it's infinitely frustrating to me that people claim they have aliens in their back yard and either a) don't film it on a mobile phone or b) they do and it looks like it was filmed on a potato or c) it's some kind of shaky cam and they focus on the supposed aliens for two frames.

It's 2023... just why.

And as someone who wants to see aliens revealed in my lifetime these chancers annoy me deeply.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Haha. I didn't even have to click on that vid. Is that the Pete Price is a lizard meme? I used to listen to that phone in every Sunday night just for the trolls to come on and Pete to get wound up. Memories.

Anyway been reading this thread from afar and gone down the rabbit hole a bit recently on reddit because some of it is good fun. However, the credibility of those who may be telling the truth is ruined by people trying to get their two minutes of fame with obviously fake stories and CGI videos of greys being disected while alive. My two penneth is that I think statistically it's possible that aliens exist and I do believe they are out there simply because of how large the universe is. However, that fact is a double edged sword too. Due to how big the universe is why do we keep insisting we're special enough to have had aliens, against all those odds, and taking into consideration how small the earth is when there's billions of stars, visit us and stick us with anal probes?

I keep thinking of that thing that happened in Vegas lately, was it? And you know it's infinitely frustrating to me that people claim they have aliens in their back yard and either a) don't film it on a mobile phone or b) they do and it looks like it was filmed on a potato or c) it's some kind of shaky cam and they focus on the supposed aliens for two frames.

It's 2023... just why.

And as someone who wants to see aliens revealed in my lifetime these chancers annoy me deeply.

You built a good case here, @00Heaven. It's not a subject I willingly mock since I, too, firmly believe that the possibility of alien civilisations elsewhere is very real. At the same time, like yourself, I think the vastness of space is such that the odds of finding or even wanting to find us are ridiculously small. That said, I am always willing to give people an honest chance in convincing me otherwise, so I'm looking forward to seeing what @ColonelSun is working on with, I must say, a passion that I find very admirable.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Definitely. I do love a good alien/ufo rabbit hole so I will definitely give it a crack once it all comes to fruition!
    edited July 2023 Posts: 17,810

It's good to finally meet another Pete Price prank calls fan on here. I had thought of starting a thread on him or good prank calls in general here but I didn't know if anyone else would appreciate them or not. I first discovered Pete Price back in 2017 after watching an extra on a Fonejacker or Facejacker DVD that had Kayvan Novak calling him up twice as two different characters to wind him up. From there I then found the prank calls on YouTube and became a fan of Pete Price and his reactions to the silly prank calls. I've never looked back since and Pete has even liked some of my comments on his Instagram account. For me he's the best of the shock jocks out there including James Stannage, James Whale and the like. The joke about him being a lizard comes from the time that Pete Price was meant to interview David Icke and he didn't turn up. People then started saying that it was because Icke had discovered that Pete Price was a lizard and the rest is history.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just catching up on this very unique thread. I actually had the opportunity to read the work @ColonelSun has put into this project. It’s so bloody well researched and the characters (and how they’re affected by a “visitation”), are so layered and real (and heart-breaking), that my sceptical approach to aliens visiting this planet have been altered (I’ve always thought that other civilizations were “out there” because of the vastness of space. I just had issues with aliens being able to visit us).

After reading the Colonel’s brilliant work, I’m at least not dismissing that it could have happened… It’s damn fine stuff, and it’s obvious how deep a dive he took… (like deepppppp)….
    I sadly don’t see anything concrete people being visited can be explained by a variety of things
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

It's good to finally meet another Pete Price prank calls fan on here. I had thought of starting a thread on him or good prank calls in general here but I didn't know if anyone else would appreciate them or not. I first discovered Pete Price back in 2017 after watching an extra on a Fonejacker or Facejacker DVD that had Kayvan Novak calling him up twice as two different characters to wind him up. From there I then found the prank calls on YouTube and became a fan of Pete Price and his reactions to the silly prank calls. I've never looked back since and Pete has even liked some of my comments on his Instagram account. For me he's the best of the shock jocks out there including James Stannage, James Whale and the like. The joke about him being a lizard comes from the time that Pete Price was meant to interview David Icke and he didn't turn. People then started saying that it was because Icke had discovered that Pete Price was a lizard and the rest is history.

I think you should start a thread on him!

Honestly, it'll be a comedy gold mine. I'm in Liverpool and the troll callers were the only reason I listened back in the day. Literally every single weekend there would be some kind of a different prank call on that phone in. It was hilarious. Somehow they used to get passed the screening and Pete would just fall for it everytime and absolutely freak out. It's comedy gold. What you'll find on YouTube won't even tell the half of it, I promise you.

You've actually provided some background that I didn't know about. For me I was just a dumb teen at that point with way too much time on her hands on a Sunday night and it just gave me a giggle before I went to bed. I had no idea there was a background with David Icke who is absolutely a comedy novelty in himself... So that's where the lizard stuff come from, huh? Amazing.

Sorry for the digression on this thread but had to provide context to this!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Does anyone really think we are the top dog intelligence in our galaxy, or even in the universe?

Just think about it.

Seriously think about it, even if it is scary and shakes up your world view.

I'm only going to answer the last one: no, the 'top dogs' on the intelligence side in this solar system are most likely Dolphins and Elephants, both have more neurons between their ears than we do.

Let's hope you're right. Let's hope they'll prevent a nuclear disaster. Sad fact is, they haven't as of yet done so.
    Isaac Asimov wrote a magnificent book (in fact, Asimov wrote a ton of magnificent books in his life!) on the subject of Extraterrestrial Civilisations, in which he explored the possibility of another advanced civilization existing "out there". He applied science, reason, mathematics, and plenty of "if", "but" and "assuming" constructions to come to the conclusion that there should be many.

One thing in particular that has stuck with me is that he thought that every civilization advanced enough to travel through space with ease, would first have to overcome tons of obstacles on their home planet, not unlike the many that we are currently wrestling with. He also saw very little reason to believe that the evolution of life and the maturation process of its dominant species would occur so much faster elsewhere than on Earth, therefore he thought it less likely that many extraterrestrial civilizations are already several orders of magnitude more advanced than we are, given the age of our universe, the rate at which the 'right type of' stars form, and so on.

I'm not sure his pleasant hypotheses were always that good, though. Who knows what might trigger bit leaps in evolution and in the growth of a civilization and its technology? Still, the argument doesn't seem all that silly either. If all life in the universe is assumed to be based on organic chemistry, then stars not unlike our own would have to 'feed' them, and for the raw materials to be available, it would have to be a second-generation star in the first place. Also, the list of chemical and physical conditions required to make organic, macroscopic life possible would have to be very similar to our own, and so on and so on. In fact, I recall Asimov building a strong case for a) the existence of many advanced civilizations in the universe, b) the unlikeliness that any of them has already been able to figure out interstellar space travel.

Then I read a book written by Carl Sagan, who made a very strong case for why almost every account of seeing an alien spaceship or having been abducted by one, should really be taken with a pinch of salt. He listed many reasons (though I can't just repeat them off the top of my head.) However, I remember thinking that he had more or less settled the deal.

The truth is that both Asimov and Sagan, along with several astronomers and cosmologists, have given me nothing but perfectly rational reasons, with compelling arguments drawn from physics, mathematics, and more, for why it's barely reasonable to presume that we have yet been visited by aliens.

But, I try to keep an open mind.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Isaac Asimov wrote a magnificent book (in fact, Asimov wrote a ton of magnificent books in his life!) on the subject of Extraterrestrial Civilisations, in which he explored the possibility of another advanced civilization existing "out there". He applied science, reason, mathematics, and plenty of "if", "but" and "assuming" constructions to come to the conclusion that there should be many.

One thing in particular that has stuck with me is that he thought that every civilization advanced enough to travel through space with ease, would first have to overcome tons of obstacles on their home planet, not unlike the many that we are currently wrestling with. He also saw very little reason to believe that the evolution of life and the maturation process of its dominant species would occur so much faster elsewhere than on Earth, therefore he thought it less likely that many extraterrestrial civilizations are already several orders of magnitude more advanced than we are, given the age of our universe, the rate at which the 'right type of' stars form, and so on.

I'm not sure his pleasant hypotheses were always that good, though. Who knows what might trigger bit leaps in evolution and in the growth of a civilization and its technology? Still, the argument doesn't seem all that silly either. If all life in the universe is assumed to be based on organic chemistry, then stars not unlike our own would have to 'feed' them, and for the raw materials to be available, it would have to be a second-generation star in the first place. Also, the list of chemical and physical conditions required to make organic, macroscopic life possible would have to be very similar to our own, and so on and so on. In fact, I recall Asimov building a strong case for a) the existence of many advanced civilizations in the universe, b) the unlikeliness that any of them has already been able to figure out interstellar space travel.

Then I read a book written by Carl Sagan, who made a very strong case for why almost every account of seeing an alien spaceship or having been abducted by one, should really be taken with a pinch of salt. He listed many reasons (though I can't just repeat them off the top of my head.) However, I remember thinking that he had more or less settled the deal.

The truth is that both Asimov and Sagan, along with several astronomers and cosmologists, have given me nothing but perfectly rational reasons, with compelling arguments drawn from physics, mathematics, and more, for why it's barely reasonable to presume that we have yet been visited by aliens.

All I can say, and I have huge respect for Carl Sagan, is that when you actually talk to UFO witnesses or those who claim to have been abducted, who are not crackpots, but ordinary professional people, like police officers, RAF pilots, teachers, risking their reputations to talk about their experiences, you cannot simply dismiss their stories with a pinch of salt or because it contradicts our presently known or understood science. It's just narrow minded and insulting to those people. Something is clearly going on here. There are thousands and thousands and thousands of reports dating back centuries. And our own MOD, the Pentagon, the French authorities, Italians, Chile military and more governments worldwide, do not investigate a phenomenon if there is nothing to investigate. The Pentagon's secret UAP (Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon) program was exposed to be real by the New York Times in 2017. And that's when a few clips of the USS military F18 cockpit footage were also revealed. There's a lot to this.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Well, I'd disagree with Asimov. It took us about 200.000 years to go from just another ape (check out the Homo Naledi, way before us good with fire and burials) to apes with clothes on and digital watches.
    The dinosaurs died out 66 million years ago, and started about 230 million years ago. Next to that, we're not the only intelligent species, we just have those handy opposite thumbs. But both dolphins (who gossip about eachother, sign of true intelligence) and elephants have bigger brains and, more importantly, more extended neural patterns in there.
    So, take a planet born exactly at the same time as ours, but happily missing all those lovely meteorites. If one of its earlier species has some interesting feature to help it create stuff and develope similarly to us, then that species could have even a headstart of a couple of million years. If travel at faster then light is indeed possible, it isn't unlikely they figured out how to do it. Key to the story is, they would need to survive themselves.

Well, I'd disagree with Asimov. It took us about 200.000 years to go from just another ape (check out the Homo Naledi, way before us good with fire and burials) to apes with clothes on and digital watches.
    The dinosaurs died out 66 million years ago, and started about 230 million years ago. Next to that, we're not the only intelligent species, we just have those handy opposite thumbs. But both dolphins (who gossip about eachother, sign of true intelligence) and elephants have bigger brains and, more importantly, more extended neural patterns in there.
    So, take a planet born exactly at the same time as ours, but happily missing all those lovely meteorites. If one of its earlier species has some interesting feature to help it create stuff and develope similarly to us, then that species could have even a headstart of a couple of million years. If travel at faster then light is indeed possible, it isn't unlikely they figured out how to do it. Key to the story is, they would need to survive themselves.

Yes, you make a great point. That one was, in fact, one of my criticisms towards Asimov's arguments in that book.

Yes, you make a great point. That one was, in fact, one of my criticisms towards Asimov's arguments in that book.

That, and, obviously, they already found us.

Paul is a funny film! I rather like it. 😄
    I've heard a rumour that there's an alien already here among us. Can't remember his name though. Just that he has strange, intense, otherworldly eyes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,387

This just appeared as a suggestion on YouTube, made me chuckle. In the thumbnail the UFO looks like the Star Ship USS Voyager from the front. No idea where that missile came from lol

---

Regarding UFO's as I live on the coast I have seen several over the years, some with very bizarre flight patterns, one moved in very abrupt zigzags at high velocity. My security camera's have caught strange illuminations in the night sky. I put it down to drone testing?
    Well, it's quite easy to see the vid is a fake, but it's a cute try.
    Well, it's quite easy to see the vid is a fake, but it's a cute try.

God loves a trier, as they say. ;)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm afraid the risk of having 22 minutes and 42 seconds of Trump's incoherent (and from experience, mendacious) babbling put me off from watching that video.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 17,810
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm afraid the risk of having 22 minutes and 42 seconds of Trump's incoherent (and from experience, mendacious) babbling put me off from watching that video.

In short he doesn't believe in aliens and UFOs but he's open minded.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    So THAT is where he is open-minded...
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    So THAT is where he is open-minded...

Trump, coming to a galaxy near you very soon. Well, every vote helps. ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Make America Great, Aliens.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Yes to both.

I believe that the likelihood that aliens exist is infinitely high, but the likelihood they’d ever encounter us is infinitely low. I think the idea they could find us, even if they’re far advanced, and even if they’re “close”, is to misunderstand the size of the universe.
    I believe in UFOs to the extent that it means unidentified flying objects.

I think the answer to the spirit of the question is no to both.
    Yes to both.

I believe that the likelihood that aliens exist is infinitely high, but the likelihood they’d ever encounter us is infinitely low. I think the idea they could find us, even if they’re far advanced, and even if they’re “close”, is to misunderstand the size of the universe.
    I believe in UFOs to the extent that it means unidentified flying objects.

I think the answer to the spirit of the question is no to both.

The James Webb Space Telescope is already identifying eco-plantets that have the possible chemistry, atmospheres and water signatures to potentially support life. We're only 70 plus years into space exploration, so, if ETs are thousand, even hundreds of thousands of years more advanced than us, then, of course they would have identified and found there worlds, like Earth, that support life.