Do you believe in aliens and UFOs?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Risico007 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    But in a truly infinite Universe there is no such thing as a freak one-off occurrence. Everything is repeated.

unless the universe was designed to only have life on one planet...

now if you will excuse me i will use @Dragonpol as a human shield and jump out the window in a daring escape.

And there we get to the logic-trap that is the design discussion: who designed it then? That in itself implies there's a designer, which must be then a thinking entity that in any way, shape or form would itself be 'alive'. So, who 'made' the designer and where is (he,she,it) living?

So even the design thesis forces another (inter)galactic lifeform upon us.

Now, nature is far more creative than the human mind, we know that for sure. Those who believe in god (there we go! Living creator!) and say we were made in his/her image then just think a little too much of themselves (are you really capable of designing new planets/ life forms?) but still end up with the same basic problem. Because, who created god (if it wasn't us).

But, as said, maybe nature has another way of dealing with this. Fact is this planet is teeming with life. So, any planet in a similar position to a simiar star would possible be a habitable one, and they found plenty of those already. Then there's the question of 'how did life start', which we just don't know. But it's unlikely there's only one planet where this happened as it must've been a natural process (see above).

So, all in all, it's most likely that there are other planets (teeming with) life. Of all the billions of species that live on this planet, a few managed to become rather intelligent: dolphins, elephants, apes, but one species had the advantage of the opposing thumb (sorry Dolphins), combined with varied communications and living is social groups that propelled the use of intelligence (with i.e. the right amount of agression).

Let's propose that on planet x two species had the same development: they'd probably kill eachother, or they'd be so closely related they'd merge. Sort of homo sapiens and neanderthals.

so, it's still very likely another planet had/has a similar development. What else do we need? time and space: how likely is it that these two species of two different planets developed in about the same timeframe (we've been around for tens of thousands of years, only able to contact, if they exist, others for the last 3,4 thousand and record it) whilst life has been on this planet for hundreds of millions of years. Maybe our next-door aliens visited during the jura and then decided they didn't like eating t-rex steak.

and our records of the last 4k years hasn't been that good either, maybe they did visit, or one of them did, and decided it was better to leave us primitives alone. The next solar system might have had far more interesting 'people' live in it.

ANd, finally the last factor, considering the deadliness of our technology, it isn't a strange thought that we might destroy ourselves as a species way before we can seriously start travelling out of our solar system. ANd if that counts for us, it most likely counts for any other species on any other planet.

Yes, I also think its quite arrogant to believe we are the only living things in the entire universe. What is more surprising is that no one has visited us yet, either in `person' or via a radio signal (as far as we are aware).

If another lifeform is finally able to reach us, then their technology must be far advanced than we are, figuring out how to travel and survive across the vast universe.

Not quite. There are a few factors that will make meeting other lifeforms difficult.
    Which is why I also said - If another lifeform is finally able to reach us, then their technology must be far advanced than we are, figuring out how to travel and survive across the vast universe.

It definately must. But I was more referring to this line of yours:
    "What is more surprising is that no one has visited us yet, either in `person' or via a radio signal (as far as we are aware).: "

That, in the end, is not surprising at all, sadly. Anyway, the Russians are happily marching towards the end of the world to satisfy their bonkers leader. So we'll must take our wisheful thinking for short-lived.

https://bnn-news.com/russias-dmitry-medvedev-once-again-threatens-the-west-with-nuclear-arms-236012
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

no lol
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    A bloody big ship.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Yes.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Is that guy called Bruce?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    In a practically-infinite sized universe, it's practically-infinitely likely aliens exist, and practically-infinitely unlikely we'd ever interact with them.

To think anything we've seen on Earth is "aliens" is a fundamental misunderstanding.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    But I want us to be completely alone in an otherwise lifeless universe, dammit! ;)
    edited February 2023 Posts: 17,809
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    In a practically-infinite sized universe, it's practically-infinitely likely aliens exist, and practically-infinitely unlikely we'd ever interact with them.

To think anything we've seen on Earth is "aliens" is a fundamental misunderstanding.
    I'm just now reading this, and I couldn' agree more.
    There seem to be a lot of UFOs flying over the US and Canada currently though I gather they are more terrestrial than extra-terrestrial in origin. ;)

Still, a US general has reportedly said he isn't ruling aliens out completely.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/ufo-object-shot-down-when.html
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    We haven't identified the objects but we shot them down anyway.
    QBranch wrote: »
    We haven't identified the objects but we shot them down anyway.

Shoot first. Identify objects later?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The U.S. will be renamed Area 51, if this goes on.
    Alien balloons makes one lose faith in the belief of aliens possessed of advanced technology.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Alien balloons makes one lose faith in the belief of aliens possessed of advanced technology.

It gets worse. They're crack balloons.
    Now that we know balloons are used for traveling the universe, what would be the title of Jules Verne's Philias Fogg novel today?
    Around the Universe in 80 Earth Days?
    What I find more worrysome is the fact that they first took days to shoot the first one down, which was quite obvious a balloon with an information-gathering platform underneath it, and after that just go gung-ho on anything that's drifting up there. Imagine if you just let up one of those balloons with a card underneath like we sometimes did as kids, you know, the card that would say 'to the finder, please post this and write down where you found it so I know how far this balloon went'. You'd get a scourched card and an invoice for a sidewinder rocket now.
    What I find more worrysome is the fact that they first took days to shoot the first one down, which was quite obvious a balloon with an information-gathering platform underneath it, and after that just go gung-ho on anything that's drifting up there. Imagine if you just let up one of those balloons with a card underneath like we sometimes did as kids, you know, the card that would say 'to the finder, please post this and write down where you found it so I know how far this balloon went'. You'd get a scourched card and an invoice for a sidewinder rocket now.

I agree but then I think that the current administration dithers and prevaricates too much when it comes to matters of national security. Perhaps this knee jerk reaction is their way of hastily compensating for their tardiness with the first balloon.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I agree but then I think that the current administration dithers and prevaricates too much when it comes to matters of national security. Perhaps this knee jerk reaction is their way of hastily compensating for their tardiness with the first balloon.

Maybe, I found it odd. But if that means those F26's are also coming to Ukraine, I'm a happy man.

Maybe, I found it odd. But if that means those F26's are also coming to Ukraine, I'm a happy man.

Yes, I definitely think they took to long to shoot the first balloon down. Depending on the technology on board the balloon a lot of privileged national security information could've been passed back to China before it was brought down. That's unforgivable in my book but the current Commander-in-Chief doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
    But if that means those F26's are also coming to Ukraine, I'm a happy man.

There is no F-26. Just saying. But regarding F-16 or F-22 or F-35 I share your feelings. The Ukrainians can use all of them.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

There is no F-26. Just saying. But regarding F-16 or F-22 or F-35 I share your feelings. The Ukrainians can use all of them.

Didn't the Americans say that they wouldn't send some of the jets as it would take months to train the Ukrainian pilots in them and therefore they wouldn't be suitable?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Didn't the Americans say that they wouldn't send some of the jets as it would take months to train the Ukrainian pilots in them and therefore they wouldn't be suitable?
    Well, it actually makes sense. But I don't expect that war of aggression to be over until Ukraine has those additional means to defend herself, and the number of MiG-29s in the former Warsaw Pact countries that could be passed on to Ukraine seems to be limited.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 17,809
    New research finds that Mussolini was behind a cover-up of a UFO crash in 1933 in Fascist Italy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12252381/Italian-researcher-shares-evidence-files-secret-UFO-crash-Italy.html
    The Daily Mail is about as credible as Fox News.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    No, because nobody ever saw a flying saucer before Hollywood made movies about them.