'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murray Gold returning as Doctor Who composer for 60th specials
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/murray-gold-doctor-who-return-newsupdate/

Great news I felt the Jodie era music very flat.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    Murray Gold returning as Doctor Who composer for 60th specials
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/murray-gold-doctor-who-return-newsupdate/

Great news I felt the Jodie era music very flat.

I have to admit this doesn't exactly thrill me with joy. Calling Gold back in is like getting John Barry to score a Brosnan or Craig Bond film. I mean the music was great back in the day and I still listen to it as the soundtrack nerd that I am, but the new era needs a new voice. The guy who told an audience at Gally post-Series 10 ‘I’ve said all I can musically about this show’ and is apparently the hold-up for a soundtrack release from that same series because there wasn't enough new music to warrant a release isn’t that guy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2023 Posts: 13,894
    It's all part of the desperate attempt to turn the clock back to 2005/6.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,327
    Gerard wrote: »

Looks better than what we have had in the previous era, Tennant and Tate are the hook for me here and 60th surprise cameos.

Hard to believe Tennant is 52.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I will watch the specials, but I am not overly fussed on seeing Tennant back. I am more keen to see what, overall, RTD has in store for the anniversary, as well as our new NEW Doctor next year.
    Bonnie Langford, AKA Mel Bush, is back ! Indeed, according to Radio Times, Mel Bush will appear in series 14 :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-bonnie-langord-return-newsupdate/
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Great news, I liked Mel and that hair.
    Great to see another returning companion with more screen time, though I do hope Mel has less scream time...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    She was already just in literally the most recent episode to air, so it's not the most shocking news!
    Big Finish have done an excellent job in turning Mel around, and fleshing her out. Let's see if that carries over to the screen.

And that video is 1:52, with a whole minute dedicated to Time And The Rani.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/more-lost-doctor-who-episodes-30195820

Wheel In Space, Wheel In Space, Wheel In Space, Wheel In Space [-O<
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He's a slightly questionable guy, so take it with a pinch of salt. That Vanezis agreed that there are more is heartening, but if they're in private collections that doesn't mean they'll be recovered any time soon.
    I have never heard of him, but I want to cling to some possibility of more classic stories being released.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Don't do any research into him, you won't enjoy it!
    While series 14 is being filmed, series 15 has already entered the writing stage.

https://screenrant.com/doctor-who-season-15-development-future-russell-t-davies/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    A fun bit of promotional crossover this morning:

F00kl4jXsAgIy2z?format=jpg&name=small

Now I want to see Margot Robbie as a companion. How excellent that would be.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 13,894
    I didn't even think of Barbie, my first what was, is this a learn to love The Happiness Patrol party.

17734.png

It deserves some love.
    I didn't even think of Barbie, my first what was, is this a learn to love The Happiness Patrol party.

17734.png

It deserves some love.

I saw that image on a YouTube thumbnail earlier, this is not one of my favorite DW episodes lol the production value around this time was not great.

17734.png

It deserves some love.

I saw that image on a YouTube thumbnail earlier, this is not one of my favorite DW episodes lol the production value around this time was not great.

Yeah, it's my favourite era, but some things can't be defended (series 24 especially). But I feel that if you scratch beneath the surface of The Happiness Patrol, there's a sombre story desperately trying to claw its way out.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 23,327

17734.png

It deserves some love.

Yeah, it's my favourite era, but some things can't be defended (series 24 especially). But I feel that if you scratch beneath the surface of The Happiness Patrol, there's a sombre story desperately trying to claw its way out.

McCoy's 2nd and 3rd series were a big step up, I often get Paradise towers and Happiness Patrol mixed up. I for a moment thought Happiness Patrol was in series 24.

I think I have mentioned this before I pretty much checked out of DW when I saw Liquorice Allsorts man as a kid.

I watched the back end of Tom Bakers era when it originally aired, City of Death always stood out vividly to me, not sure its the first episode I ever saw though its one that is most vivid in my memory.

Watching the show on TV and witnessing the steady decline as it happened was not fun at the time, later when I revisited the shows I saw value in a lot of later episodes post Tom Baker.
    Haven't quite got to Happiness Patrol yet. I'm still stuck on Dragonfire. By 'stuck', I mean these later episodes can be a real chore to get through. I hate to say that. I think I ended up giving up on Delta and the Bannermen.

17734.png

It deserves some love.

McCoy's 2nd and 3rd series were a big step up, I often get Paradise towers and Happiness Patrol mixed up. I for a moment thought Happiness Patrol was in series 24.

I think I have mentioned this before I pretty much checked out of DW when I saw Liquorice Allsorts man as a kid.

I watched the back end of Tom Bakers era when it originally aired, City of Death always stood out vividly to me, not sure its the first episode I ever saw though its one that is most vivid in my memory.

Watching the show on TV and witnessing the steady decline as it happened was not fun at the time, later when I revisited the shows I saw value in a lot of later episodes post Tom Baker.

I think that's an honest mistake. Taken at face value, The Happiness Patrol looks like a holdover from series 24.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Haven't quite got to Happiness Patrol yet. I'm still stuck on Dragonfire. By 'stuck', I mean these later episodes can be a real chore to get through. I hate to say that. I think I ended up giving up on Delta and the Bannermen.

Try to push through, writing in the McCoy era does improve. Series 25 is a mixed bag, but it still includes the absolute jewel that is Remembrance Of The Daleks.
    The next season of the "Classic" era to be put on Blu-Ray will be Series 20, with stories like "Snakedance", "Terminus", and "The Five Doctors" :

20p.jpg

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-collection-season-20-limited-edition-packaging/
    And here's the new Sonic Screwdriver that the 14th Doctor will use in this year's specials :

Fourteenth-14th-David-Tennant-sonic-screwdriver.jpg

I'm not keen on these new Sonics, but I do like the new Tardis interior (if that image is real, it's hard to tell these days).
    The Second Doctor arc "The Underwater Menace" will receive a special edition, with the two missing episodes replaced by an animation, and a few extra bonuses :

https://radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-underwater-menace-animation-newsupdate/

And here's the teaser :

I must say that the animation looks fine.
    It's far from the best example of the Troughton era, but i'll double dip on it. And that animation looks perfectly fine to me.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 5,808
    The first four seasons of the new series will receive the Blu-Ray treatment as part of a boxset which will also contain the 2009 Specials.

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-series-1-4-blu-ray-newly-upscaled-versions/