The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sounds awesome.

Is it just human gore, or is there a supernatural/monster element to it at all?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sounds awesome.

Is it just human gore, or is there a supernatural/monster element to it at all?

Both.
    The second and third films have more of the latter.
    Has anyone else seen James Wan’s Dead Silence (2007)? I absolutely adore this movie. It’s incredibly nostalgic for me and just wears its cheesiness all over its sleeve. The goofiness and spookiness are genuinely charming. Objectively there’s plenty to rag on, but I love this movie for what it is so much.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Kane Hodder is 68 today. <:-P Too old to play Jason 1 last time?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen James Wan’s Dead Silence (2007)? I absolutely adore this movie. It’s incredibly nostalgic for me and just wears its cheesiness all over its sleeve. The goofiness and spookiness are genuinely charming. Objectively there’s plenty to rag on, but I love this movie for what it is so much.

I have seen everything by Wan. I love his horror sensibilities. Dead Silence is, indeed, quite effective as a proto-Annabelle. Nice little scary film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

I have seen everything by Wan. I love his horror sensibilities. Dead Silence is, indeed, quite effective as a proto-Annabelle. Nice little scary film.

Sweet :) my favorite detail is Marion holding onto and petting the dead raven multiple times, like it’s her pet! Very metal.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2023 Posts: 40,372
    Oh heck yes. Cannot wait for that one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Jill, Claire, Leon, Chris and Rebecca? It's like The Avengers of Resident Evil. That looks like it's going to put every live action RE film to shame, and then some.

Also, RE3make Jill...

hhgf.gif

Oh my lawd, is it ok to be this excited for a CGI film?

Jill, Claire, Leon, Chris and Rebecca? It's like The Avengers of Resident Evil. That looks like it's going to put every live action RE film to shame, and then some.

Also, RE3make Jill...

hhgf.gif

Absolutely because
    I AM TOO! 😀😀😃😃

Also, RE3make Jill...

hhgf.gif

Absolutely because
    I AM TOO! 😀😀😃😃

Am I right in thinking that this is the first CGI RE film to feature Jill?
    Just saw Ginger Snaps, which left a strong, positive impression on me.
    We went and saw Evil Dead Rise last night and I enjoyed it. I didn't love it like Fede's 2013 installment but it was serviceable enough, if not a bit familiar and forgettable in some instances. At times, it's uniquely horrifying, and in others, it feels like a retread of "best of" moments from the rest of the franchise. Still, if this helps deliver another sequel in the future, I'm all for it. I just hope it doesn't take another decade to do so.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    We went and saw Evil Dead Rise last night and I enjoyed it. I didn't love it like Fede's 2013 installment but it was serviceable enough, if not a bit familiar and forgettable in some instances. At times, it's uniquely horrifying, and in others, it feels like a retread of "best of" moments from the rest of the franchise. Still, if this helps deliver another sequel in the future, I'm all for it. I just hope it doesn't take another decade to do so.

That gives me hope for this film. I loved Alvarez' film. If this one is half as good, I'm happy.

That gives me hope for this film. I loved Alvarez' film. If this one is half as good, I'm happy.

That's what I was telling myself and that's exactly how I ended up feeling. I'm happy in the end.
    The trailer left me feeling a cold towards it. Especially after how great Ash vs Evil Dead was.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I had a fantastic time with Evil Dead Rise. It takes a bit of time to get moving but once it does it is relentless and the last 20-25 minutes or so are filled (quite literally) with Raimi-visual goodness.

The trailer made me feel that it was going to be another overly serious take on the material but there are so many neat visual gags in there that the whole thing managed to feel fun despite being incredibly violent.

Very good.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'll be there day one if it truly has no multiplayer attached. I've enjoyed this random suite of horror games adapted from famous properties these last few years but seeing every single one of them take that online versus mode approach is disappointing.
    I had a lot of laughs on the F13 game, I was lucky enough to fall in with a group of players, there were many laughs. But I am looking forwards to what I assume will be a single player, story driven game.

And on the heels of the news of a new F13 game, comes news that F13 the game will be removed from the PS store on December 31 2023. Leading to the servers being shut done around a year afterwards. I will probably jump back on, just before they shut the servers down. That's the downside to online games. *shurgs*
    Then you have the likes of Diablo 4 which refused to offer an offline mode yet is now constantly plagued by outages. What an idiotic idea for gaming. I remember how foul I'd get when it'd happen to me in Hitman 2 constantly and none of my progress would save.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 13,882
    Forced online needs to go away, full stop. It's the only part of Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, that I don't like. Even if I want to play solo, it still MUST be online! Why, that makes no sense. I don't see it changing now though, seeing as how Ubisoft have since abandoned Breakpoint altogether.
    It was at its most egregious and unnecessary for me in Hitman 2 because it punished everyone, no matter how they played, just for leaderboard purposes and a generic MP mode that barely anyone touched.
    Presumably, that's no longer the case, with the World Of Assassination. Or is it still?
    Presumably, that's no longer the case, with the World Of Assassination. Or is it still?

I haven't played the games in a couple years now but Google tells me, as of March 2023, it's still an online only game/trilogy, so yes. That's disgusting, especially considering people still find ways to cheese and cheat the leaderboards and challenges themselves to be #1.

I haven't played the games in a couple years now but Google tells me, as of March 2023, it's still an online only game/trilogy, so yes. That's disgusting, especially considering people still find ways to cheese and cheat the leaderboards and challenges themselves to be #1.

I'm not bothered about the leaderboards. I have never paid attention to it/them. I would be more concerned about not being able to increase my Mastery.

I'm not bothered about the leaderboards. I have never paid attention to it/them. I would be more concerned about not being able to increase my Mastery.

You and I both. I couldn't care less about them, but for the few that do, it ensures the millions who don't are punished. Online-only implementation is a joke and needs to die a swift death.