Superman: The Man of Tomorrow

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,325
    Clancy Brown was Lex, 'The Kurgan' has the perfect voice.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Informative discussion, Superboy was mentioned briefly, I have the full series. Series 1 was forgettable though when they changed the lead actor I think its very underrated. The episode Roads not Taken I often rewatch.

Funny story I recall regarding Gerard Christopher, he auditioned for the Lois and Clark series though did not mention he had already played the part. Apparently Gerard Christopher got the role until the show runners realized he had already starred in Superboy.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Controversial statement, perhaps, but Returns is my third favourite Supes film, behind S1 and MOS.

My controversial opinion is:

SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN is my favorite Superman movie. Then S1.

Superman and the Mole Men is quite funny. And George Reeves made for a very good Clark Kent IMO.

As much as I love Chris, Henry and Brandon, George Reeves is my most favorite Clark Kent/ Superman.
    I also really liked Kirk Alyn.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Funny story I recall regarding Gerard Christopher, he auditioned for the Lois and Clark series though did not mention he had already played the part. Apparently Gerard Christopher got the role until the show runners realized he had already starred in Superboy.
    I did not know that. What a shame. Dean was okay, but Gerard would have been stellar... and the right age then!
    chrisisall wrote: »

I did not know that. What a shame. Dean was okay, but Gerard would have been stellar... and the right age then!

I am a fan of Gerard I thought he did a great job as Superboy/Superman.
    s4-cemetery.jpg
    Clark at his parents graves in Superman IV, I don't know much about this scene though I think we all wish it had occurred.

--

Watching Superman IV again it looks so good the 4K restoration, I am even questioning whether is it better than Superman III. The VFX is obviously an issue with this film though its shot extremely well.
    s4-cemetery.jpg
    Clark at his parents graves in Superman IV.

Scene Missing
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Even as a kid I could recognize that SUPERMAN IV was an attempt to go back to the more grandiose approach of the first 2 and I liked that a lot more than the farcical approach of III. It’s just that it was on quarter of a budget, so it never felt as epic as it should have been.
    Even as a kid I could recognize that SUPERMAN IV was an attempt to go back to the more grandiose approach of the first 2 and I liked that a lot more than the farcical approach of III. It’s just that it was on quarter of a budget, so it never felt as epic as it should have been.

Cutting 30 minutes out of it before the theatrical release didn't help.
    I feel a lot more emotion when I watch IV in comparison to III. The intent is there with IV if the execution is not.
    I feel a lot more emotion when I watch IV in comparison to III. The intent is there with IV if the execution is not.

Agreed.
    Watching Superboy Roads not Taken., this is the closest we have got to Superboy Prime in live action. It is Superboy Prime, god if they ever put this character in a movie it would be insane.
    Superman Auditions - SNL

Cornswet fan art has appeared online...
    Xh5SWad.png
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Cool !
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »

Agreed.

Well, it's still the lesser of the two failures IMO.

On the one hand, it was good that Superman got rid of the Salkinds, on the other hand, Cannon Films was not financially healthy enough to support a film of this magnitude. Just look at the flight photography. IV has worse visual effects than the first film, which preceded it by almost a decade. Meanwhile, Margot Kidder was doing a very hard 40, and the less said about Jon Cryer, the better. ("The Dude of Steel. Boy are you gonna get it!") I also have to force myself to think of Nuclear Man as a metaphor for the nuclear evils of the military world that Reeve was correctly attacking. As a literal villain, though, Nuclear Man is an abomination, a He-Man on steroids.
    Superman 2: The Donner Cut 4K restoration... I can't stop watching this version of this movie the Fortress looks amazing in 4K, when Jor El repeatedly says 'Look at me Kal El', Epic! In this cut we have some of the greatest on screen Superman moments of all time.

Donner's Superman II would have been one of the greatest films of all time. :-O
    Superman II - (Donner Cut) - Superman destroys Fortress of Solitude

Margot Kidder x

Donner Lois and Lester Lois are 2 completely different characters.
    Superman II - (Donner Cut) - Superman destroys Fortress of Solitude

Margot Kidder x

Donner Lois and Lester Lois are 2 completely different characters.

Yeah, in many ways- Lester was so uneven in his approach to characters...
    Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut - Kal-El & Jor-El "Becoming Human" (4K HDR)

'Think Kal El'.
    Epic! Fortress looks incredible in 4K.

edited June 2023 Posts: 23,325

Christopher Reeve is Superman.

---

Infinitely better picture...

I wish they had digitally removed Superman's harness.
    The 2001 DVDs had to be the worst, because for whatever reason the transfers they used didn’t have the wires airbrushed out like the theatrical release prints did. It’s like they went back to raw footage and didn’t do the post-productive work. At one point you could even see Superman and Nuclear Man actually standing on a platform in space. Has been thankfully fixed since the first blu-rays, but then the colors were goofed on that, only fixed in 4K.
    The 2001 DVDs had to be the worst, because for whatever reason the transfers they used didn’t have the wires airbrushed out like the theatrical release prints did. It’s like they went back to raw footage and didn’t do the post-productive work. At one point you could even see Superman and Nuclear Man actually standing on a platform in space. Has been thankfully fixed since the first blu-rays, but then the colors were goofed on that, only fixed in 4K.

I have that version it really is bad regarding the platform, even in the 4K it looks awkward though at least you can not see what they are stood on.

The best scene in the genre, this set the magic this is the Verisimilitude!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Here's a nicely odd fusion of the Bond and Superman worlds:

---
    mtm wrote: »
    Here's a nicely odd fusion of the Bond and Superman worlds:

First time I have heard that version, interesting.
    Superman II Concord Scene

I would love to see Superman II TV Extended cut on disk.

Superman II Deleted Scene

Though this is brutal.
    Kinda surprised they haven’t at this point.

I’m more surprised that for the bonus features they didn’t include all the deleted footage of II. The Donner Cut disc had all the deleted footage that didn’t make it in his cut, but the Lester disc only had the soufflé scene. No concord. No killing of that child.

Kinda surprised they haven’t at this point.

I’m more surprised that for the bonus features they didn’t include all the deleted footage of II. The Donner Cut disc had all the deleted footage that didn’t make it in his cut, but the Lester disc only had the soufflé scene. No concord. No killing of that child.

The soufflé scene stands out the most, I remember it from TV back in the 80's more than the other scenes, though I have seen the Concorde scene on YouTube previously.

I was very young when i watched the TV versions of the first two films so even when I watched Superman: The Movie TV Extended cut on Bluiray a few years ago a lot of it was vague recollections.

Personally I want WB to pretty much put everything they have on bonus disks, I bet there is a lot of footage we still have not seen.
    I think the soufflé scene would have been included in the Donner cut if Lester had filmed it the way it was written.
    INT. FORTRESS - NIGHT

EXTREME CLOSEUP of SUPERMAN and LOIS, their faces filling
    the screen, looking softly at each other.

SUPERMAN
    (whisper)
    Ready? ...

LOIS
    (shyly)
    Now listen to me, darling. I realise
    you've never done this before and I must
    have done it hundreds of times, so just
    relax and do exactly what I tell you - all
    right?

SUPERMAN
    I'm

LOIS
    I understand. Okay. Easy now. Go ....

CAMERA WIDENS, PANS: The souffle pan sits a short distance
    away. SUPERMAN turns on his X-Ray Vision:

INSERT SHOT - SOUFFLE PAN

The souffle slowly begins to rise under the heat of
    SUPERMAN's vision.

LOIS
    Slowly now....not too hot...

The light dims inperceptibly - the souffle rises
    perfectly, higher and higher.

LOIS
    Stop! Never overcook a souffle....

ANGLE ON THEM

LOIS crosses, examines it, turns, grins, amazed.

LOIS
    Perfect!

SUPERMAN
    It's easy when you know the chef.

LOIS
    (kisses him quickly)
    Oh, yeah? Wait till we get into roasts and
    poultry.