Superman: The Man of Tomorrow

Comments

SUPERMAN IV's shortcomings don't bother me too much. I have a blast everytime I watch it. Considering countless times I've watched S:TM and SII, Reeve's 3rd and 4th outings feel refreshing to me. I think Reeve looked his best in III, and IV he's a seasoned Superman.
    Is Reeve the only live action Superman (other than Kirk Alyn) whose costume remained consistant thru his entire run? Not counting his evil Superman suit, I don't believe his look was altereed much like say, Dean Cain's or Henry Cavill. Even George Reeves had various differences in his supersuits.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Odd thing concerning the cut scenes: In the deleted scenes bonus material, the f/x are not finished such as the tornado scene and Alexander Courage’s finished score isn’t included, probably because they were all taken from a work print. However, the tornado scene actually appeared in finished form with Courage’s score in international cuts, most notably available on Japanese LaserDisc. That makes me wonder if there were ever existing versions of those other deleted material with the f/x finished. I assume they’re all lost.

Here’s the tornado scene from the Japanese LD:

And the last additional scene:

Of all the deleted material, I wish we could see the nightclub scene as that footage is not even included in the bonus material. Instead it cuts from Lex telling Nuclear Man 1 to destroy Superman straight to NM1 being brought out of the nightclub with a lady seducing him. I assume this is because the nightclub scenes were not in the work print that WB found in the archives.

The VFX were completed for the tornado scene and also the Red Square scene and the neg was cut and the scenes were graded and included in the Cannon international version, but the US version did not include those two scenes.

The night club scene has Clark dancing with Lacey and he slowly raises them both a few inches off the floor so they glide and Lacey thinks she's just being swept off her feet. It was a nice scene.

Ah man, that sounds like a fun sequence. I actually have the music tracks that were supposed to be incorporated into the club music and they’re pretty great 80s club beats. This is supposedly the order they were supposed to play out in the club, albeit truncated throughout.

I assume this is what would have played when Clark notices Nuclear Man in the night club causing a stir.

And this was the only track to make it in the final edit during the gym scene.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Apparently David Corenswet is a leading candidate ; if so , he looks the part.

BWAY5gs.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think I've seen talk of Nicholas Hoult too: for both Superman and Lex.
    Would be funny if yet another Bond candidate became Superman instead.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,395
    Samara Weaving has been linked to the Lois Role.

samara-weaving-at-ready-or-not-screening-at-arclight-in-culver-city-08-19-2019-8.jpg

---

Jacob Elordi and Andrew Richardson have also been mentioned to play Superman. I know nothing about either of them. Elordi at 6'4 certainly has the height and build to play Supes.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Corenswet Is also 6’4; they’re definitely looking for tall.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    talos7 wrote: »
    Corenswet Is also 6’4; they’re definitely looking for tall.

Hoult must be around that height also, Superman needs to be tall IMO.

---

Just arrived in the post, it was very well packaged, the Steelbook's really are nice...

HaM6KIW.jpg

HZGo27B.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Enjoy, mate! Wonderful boxset!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Enjoy, mate! Wonderful boxset!

Just had a quick peak at Superman III on 4K it's impressive I will watch the whole movie later. Cheers it will sit nicely next to my other DC boxsets... I have a lot. lol
    I do wonder what’s up with RETURNS. It’s my least favorite Superman film, but it’s interesting how they’re just neglecting it at this point. Even back when the blu-ray collection came out they included it in the set.

Granted, it’s only mastered at 2K and its native resolution was at 1080p, so it’s well below 4K standards. Yet so many other films got upscaled. Maybe it’s the combined Singer and Spacey association? I do know that there was major disappointment with the blu-ray release because it appeared far more subdued and had poor compression artifacts. Most notable was during a moment under the sea where you can see banding within the water. Maybe they need to work even harder on that film to make that more presentable in 4K.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I always feel bad for Reeve with The Quest for Peace. He poured his heart into the screenplay or story. Nuclear war and the arms race was something that he held dear to his heart. The reason he returned was because Canon gave him creative control and input.

Then they slash the budget and change the script and story. Unlike EON, Canon didn't put the money up on the screen. I wonder how he felt about doing the press knowing it was a haphazard mess.
    I don’t think they changed much of the script. It was written and ready for a large budget production.

For example, the screenwriter on the commentary talked about how on his script he set up a far more elaborate subway chase that involved Superman trying to catch up with the train that Lois was in, but would have to dodge several oncoming trains in the process and such. But the film as it was made basically truncated it to Supes just speeding ahead of the train and stopping it. The action stops before it even begins.

Same thing with the Great Wall in china. In the script Supes rebuilds it with his super speed, but in post they just did some editing trick to make it look like he repaired it with some kind of blue laser vision.
    I do wonder what’s up with RETURNS. It’s my least favorite Superman film, but it’s interesting how they’re just neglecting it at this point. Even back when the blu-ray collection came out they included it in the set.

Granted, it’s only mastered at 2K and its native resolution was at 1080p, so it’s well below 4K standards. Yet so many other films got upscaled. Maybe it’s the combined Singer and Spacey association? I do know that there was major disappointment with the blu-ray release because it appeared far more subdued and had poor compression artifacts. Most notable was during a moment under the sea where you can see banding within the water. Maybe they need to work even harder on that film to make that more presentable in 4K.

I would have liked to see Superman Returns included after all it is a 100 Years celebration set and the film is supposed to be in the Donner continuity, in fact it follows Superman II: The Donner Cut narratively.

Superman Returns is in the Bluray set I have below. Many have come to the same conclusion as yourself with regards to Superman Returns absence from the 4K set.
    JpmCZAc.jpg

I still want to see an extended cut of Superman Returns with the deleted scenes put in, the deleted opening scene is the best scene that was filmed.
    If they do that, I hope they would go through the trouble of finishing the score for those scenes. That opening scene was good, but it’s clear they never got around to scoring that scene and supposedly Singer intentionally left it out of the first blu-ray release because music was supposed to be one of the more integral moments of that scene, and it doesn’t work without it.

Supposedly there’s a three hour cut that Singer was really trying to push, but the studio insisted they cut out 30 mins. IIRC, the opening text was also a studio add. Singer hated that text wall.
    Controversial statement, perhaps, but Returns is my third favourite Supes film, behind S1 and MOS.
    Controversial statement, perhaps, but Returns is my third favourite Supes film, behind S1 and MOS.

My controversial opinion is:

SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN is my favorite Superman movie. Then S1.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

My controversial opinion is:

SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN is my favorite Superman movie. Then S1.

Superman and the Mole Men is quite funny. And George Reeves made for a very good Clark Kent IMO.
    Is Superman III a great Superman movie? probably not though it is fun, I find it amusing literally every character in the film is communicating with cross purposes. Gus turning up to work in a Ferrari is hilarious.

Very impressed with the 4K transfer, Lester is talented in his own right as a director, I am curios to see how Lester's first 2 Musketeers films look in 4K they have both recently been released.

---

My Christopher Reeve continuity film rankings are as follows...

Superman The Movie (The 3 Hour Extended Cut is my favorite version).
    Superman II: The Donner Cut
    Superman II
    Superman III
    Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
    Superman Returns (I have way too many issues with this film though the plane sequence is great).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would say that IV is actually starring Superman whereas I’m not sure III entirely does.
    I think part of that is because Reeve is playing a lot more Clark Kent scenes than he did in the first two films. The only interesting thing that happens with Superman is the kryptonite that turns him evil. Otherwise, it’s very Clark Kent heavy, and then there’s Richard Pryor getting equal screen time as Reeve.
    I think part of that is because Reeve is playing a lot more Clark Kent scenes than he did in the first two films. The only interesting thing that happens with Superman is the kryptonite that turns him evil. Otherwise, it’s very Clark Kent heavy, and then there’s Richard Pryor getting equal screen time as Reeve.

And that's the main reason why I dislike S3. Imagine a Bond film that gives half its scenes to Rebel Wilson and her jokes. Pryor makes the film almost unwatchable for me.
    In the Reeve movies Superman is very much the one in a relationship with Lois, and Clark is very much in a friendship/possible relationship with Lana. On that basis I guess that dictates which version of Kal is more prominent in the respective films.

True Pryor did take a lot of screen time from Superman as he pretty much shares top billing. I enjoy Superman III for what it is (I watched it at the cinema as a kid so have that good memory), I would not change anything to try to improve it, I would have just scrapped everything and made a different movie.
    In the Reeve movies Superman is very much the one in a relationship with Lois, and Clark is very much in a friendship/possible relationship with Lana. On that basis I guess that dictates which version of Kal is more prominent in the respective films.

True Pryor did take a lot of screen time from Superman as he pretty much shares top billing. I enjoy Superman III for what it is (I watched it at the cinema as a kid so have that good memory), I would not change anything to try to improve it, I would have just scrapped everything and made a different movie.

I concur. The problem is that the Salkinds were calling the shots, and they weren't interested in making good movies. Otherwise, they wouldn't have severed all ties with Donner after the first film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ha! I did not expect that sentence to take that turn at the end :D
    The funny thing is that SUPERMAN III is actually the kind of film the Salkinds, Guy Hamilton, and writers (David and Leslie Newman) originally aimed for with the first film. They view Superman more as a campy project that's supposed to elicit big laughs rather than take itself earnestly. When Mankiewicz left the project after Donner's firing, the Newmans basically took the script that he rewrote and re-inserted all the stuff that Mankiewicz scrapped from the Newmans' drafts. Richard Lester seemed to be on the same wavelength as the Salkinds/Newmans.

Here's the original Newman/Benton script with the infamous Savalas "who loves you baby?" moment:

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/superman_original.txt

And their Superman II script:

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/supermanii_scriptment_2_76.txt

I am glad we did not get a Kojak cameo in the first movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Is Superman III a great Superman movie? probably not though it is fun, I find it amusing literally every character in the film is communicating with cross purposes. Gus turning up to work in a Ferrari is hilarious.

Very impressed with the 4K transfer, Lester is talented in his own right as a director, I am curios to see how Lester's first 2 Musketeers films look in 4K they have both recently been released.

---

Superman II
    Superman III
    Superman Returns (I have way too many issues with this film though the plane sequence is great).

This is almost my ranking except that I'd put Returns equal with III.

Telly Savalas IS Lex Luthor
    mattjoes wrote: »

Telly Savalas IS Lex Luthor

Telly would have made a phenomenal Lex Luther, his Blofeld pretty much is Lex Luther.

chrisisall wrote: »

---

Superman II
    Superman III

This is almost my ranking except that I'd put Returns equal with III.

Superman's actions in Superman Returns and the complete lack of understanding of how Kryptonite works irritates me and Spacey just is not Lex Luther.
    In fact his Blofeld was the primary inspiration for the Lex Luthor in TAS. I really hope whoever plays Lex in Gunn’s film embodies that kind of charm and menace. Lex should be the kind of guy that’s so confident that he can look up at Superman, unafraid, and disregard him as “alien”.

I actually did think Jesse Eisenberg was good casting and could have played up to those qualities. But what Snyder went for… oof. And none of that intelligence comes through because of the big boneheaded decisions Lex was written to do. It was funny to see Snyder try to make a hard course correction by reintroducing Eisenberg’s Lex in a three piece suit and with a less jittery demeanor. It’s like seeing Mark Zuckerberg magically transform into Jeff Bezos.