Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well let’s not get crazy. Lol.

I’m not saying that someone needs to have a James Earl Jones baritone, just a voice that is commanding and confident ; Suter seems to possess one.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have to agree with you @talos7 some of the actors voices are too soft. Including I think Phil Dunster.
    He’s also a little short apparently, 5’9” according to reports.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    He'd get called 'Dumpster' unless he was great, too.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Next James Bond 'won't be white' claims industry exec as hunt for 007 continues

https://www.gbnews.com/celebrity/next-james-bond-latest-industry-executive-barbara-broccoli
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just hope he's young but not too young. At the rate they release these, it'd suck to get a killer Bond in the role who barely gets 3-4 films over 15 or so years.
    It will be interesting to see that when the actor is announced if he had been suggested on this board.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see that when the actor is announced if he had been suggested on this board.

I keep wondering that too mate. I remember @Pierce2Daniel mentioned a few names while NTTD was delayed and they've all been suggested in the media since. Time will tell
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,895
    There's a clue about the tv executive's judgment when he says that 'If you’d asked me about six years ago, I'd have said it’d be Idris Elba.' Six years ago, Idris was 45. That alone would've ruled him out of following Dan, wouldn't it?
    It’s all still speculation, but if that does happen to align with the producers thinking then my money would be on Sope Dirisu and Paapa Esseidu, and my preference would be the former.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

https://www.gbnews.com/celebrity/next-james-bond-latest-industry-executive-barbara-broccoli

"One TV executive told GB News: “I think the days of a white Bond are over. You could look to the recent casting of Doctor Who as a bellwether in that respect."

This article is a waste of time and has nothing of note. Why should we care what some random TV exec thinks. This suggest no insider knowledge, no personal connection to Bond, just some rando spouting their opinion.

It wouldn't surprise me either if Bond wasn't white next time around, but that doesn't mean I think that's what the producers will necessarily do.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    It’s GB News… worse than the Mail or Express.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Articles like this are written to make people angry and at worse to stoke racial tensions.
    Don't believe any of it
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I daresay it's a little premature to go casting the next Bond, based on the next next Doctor. We still have... what, a year to wait. It could go either way.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 3,272

Useless GB News clickbait article, designed to do exactly what they hope it will do - provoke!

I had a tour of their studios last week, and met Nigel Farage while I was there. He was actually a decent guy to chat to, if you can get past his political views.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    talos7 wrote: »

There's probably more chance of it this time around than there was back in 2005 when Daniel Craig was announced as the new Bond, with the advent of social media and the vast increase in online speculation since that time. However, I suppose Eon might yet surprise us. They usually do.

Useless GB News clickbait article, designed to do exactly what they hope it will do - provoke!

I had a tour of their studios last week, and met Nigel Farage while I was there. He was actually a decent guy to chat to, if you can get past his political views.

Yeah, GB News is so reliable.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »

I stick with the BBC which is at least publicly owned and meant to be impartial. It's also the one we pay our licence fee for so it makes sense to watch and listen to it. The less said about ITV the better...
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Although, I'm ancient enough to remember during the Miners' Strike when the BBC edited footage of Orgreave to literally reverse the order of events so that their broadcast matched Thatcher's propaganda. But, anyway, yes, this GB News 'Bond won't be white' piece isn't based on anything more than one bloke's hunch. And that's if we take it at face value. It's GB News, chances are they don't really think that and they've just invented it to stir some umbrage amongst their right-of-centre viewers. That's not an unknown practice in the British media, after all.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,742
    I mean, it's not exactly a prophetic thing to guess saying that the next Bond actor will be black. That's not to say that this will be the case (in all likelihood the next Bond will be white, but this is not set in stone and I don't personally have a crystal ball). We know that Broccoli has said in the past that they'll consider British actors of different ethnicities so if the right candidate comes along then they'll go with them. I don't think they'll specifically be looking for a black actor though.

Obviously Sope Dirisu has been mentioned a lot and I'd be happy if they go with him. Really not sold on someone like Papa Esseidu though who's also been mentioned. So it depends.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 108
    deleted
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

I stick with the BBC which is at least publicly owned and meant to be impartial. It's also the one we pay our licence fee for so it makes sense to watch and listen to it. The less said about ITV the better...

With all their flaws I stick to BBC News myself.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

He's always looked like a strong breeze could knock him over.
    Well his ship has sailed and for good measure he’s sunk it b blabbing about it.
    He's thankfully too old for Bond and, unless I've overlooked his best work, not a particularly good actor anyway. Not that anyone would've rescued the film but I saw Hitman: Agent 47 finally and he was pretty horrible in it, in a role that requires very little to begin with.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    He's thankfully too old for Bond and, unless I've overlooked his best work, not a particularly good actor anyway. Not that anyone would've rescued the film but I saw Hitman: Agent 47 finally and he was pretty horrible in it, in a role that requires very little to begin with.

It doesn't help that Hollywood looks at the Hitman IP, and thinks "EXPLOSIONS!!!!". Hitman would work better as a low budget cat n' mouse thriller.

It doesn't help that Hollywood looks at the Hitman IP, and thinks "EXPLOSIONS!!!!". Hitman would work better as a low budget cat n' mouse thriller.

It's funny because I don't know how anyone looks at the Hitman IP and thinks it'll be some $500 million success story at the box office. Thus, you clearly need to make it for the fans of the series, which neither of the two films have been able to accomplish (though I have a soft spot and admiration for Timothy Olyphant and his installment was way closer to the heart of 47 and the atmosphere of the games than whatever that garbage shoot-em-up that Friend was a part of managed).

Hell, they couldn't even get a bald cap for Friend's 47, just...shave it down, let all the facial stubble remain, despite him being a clone that has no hair past his eyebrows. Bizarre. It's the little things like that that mean virtually nothing to most audiences, but for the fans of the games that are turning up to see it, instantly notice and take issue with.

Of course, the project itself was horrible across the board and wasn't solely because Friend couldn't handle the role, but I've still never seen anything he's done, even the pretty enjoyable Homeland, that ever made me think he'd make a great 007.

It's funny because I don't know how anyone looks at the Hitman IP and thinks it'll be some $500 million success story at the box office. Thus, you clearly need to make it for the fans of the series, which neither of the two films have been able to accomplish (though I have a soft spot and admiration for Timothy Olyphant and his installment was way closer to the heart of 47 and the atmosphere of the games than whatever that garbage shoot-em-up that Friend was a part of managed).

Hell, they couldn't even get a bald cap for Friend's 47, just...shave it down, let all the facial stubble remain, despite him being a clone that has no hair past his eyebrows. Bizarre. It's the little things like that that mean virtually nothing to most audiences, but for the fans of the games that are turning up to see it, instantly notice and take issue with.

Of course, the project itself was horrible across the board and wasn't solely because Friend couldn't handle the role, but I've still never seen anything he's done, even the pretty enjoyable Homeland, that ever made me think he'd make a great 007.

I can't say I was keen on either film. Though I did like the little references to the games in the first one (how the camera is placed behind 47 as he walks down the corridor in the hotel, and the other is when 47 crashes through a window, 2 kids in the room are playing Blood Money).

As for Rupert Friend, Hitman is the only thing I have seen him in, so to be fair to him, I don't think that it was the best showcase for his Bond potential.
    Have to fess, I only watched Hitman because Olga was in it...
    Venutius wrote: »
    Have to fess, I only watched Hitman because Olga was in it...

That bedroom scene with Olga was worth the admission price alone. Heavenly.