Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

I'd love to watch that first Hitman movie; it looks like fun. I don't ask for a great deal of faithfulness to the source material in my video game movies. I won't settle for nothing but I don't demand too much either. You can fool around with the story to some extent, but do try to capture the look and feel of the game to a minimum extent.

Anyway, I would watch Hitman for Olga, and to see if I can spot my man Christian Erickson --eccentric overactor who starred in the MegaRace video games, and has played supporting roles in a bunch of French movies-- who has a small part as a general.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,895
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That bedroom scene with Olga was worth the admission price alone. Heavenly.
    I'd even say it contains the two best things in the whole movie...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    That bedroom scene with Olga was worth the admission price alone. Heavenly.
    I'd even say it contains the two best things in the whole movie...

I'd say you're 100% spot on with that assessment!

@mattjoes, I don't either but I need even a semblance of adhering to the respective game's layout, style, atmosphere, something. The Friend version had none of that, past a replication of a random Blood Money poster and the signature suit, tie and guns. That was it. It could've been an entirely different movie after that (and I guess it was).
    @mattjoes, I don't either but I need even a semblance of adhering to the respective game's layout, style, atmosphere, something. The Friend version had none of that, past a replication of a random Blood Money poster and the signature suit, tie and guns. That was it. It could've been an entirely different movie after that (and I guess it was).

Yeah, that's lame.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 4,400

I saw this video doing the rounds on Twitter.

I completely understand why some are against the idea of an American actor taking on the role of James Bond. However, Austin Butler has proven his acting prowess with his impressive performance in "Elvis," and his upcoming role as a villain in "Dune 2" only adds to his diverse range. The fact that he has also collaborated with Cary Fukunaga on "Masters of the Air" is also interesting. While it's a shame that he is American, I believe Butler's youthful charm and James Dean-like edge could inject a fresh energy into Bond. Moreover, if Denis Villeneuve is truly a top choice for Barbara Broccoli, I wouldn't be surprised if Butler expresses his interest in the role to his director during the press tour. He also looks the part.....

FbhWXx7X0AAD5Ta?format=jpg&name=large
    FbhWXx9XkAEear5?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Not sure about him having the right look, he looks a bit too soft and friendly in my opinion.
    The one visual trait each actor has, is they all have that sort of rough look to them (Pierce grew into that admittedly) they all look like they've had experiences, Butler doesn't.

I do think the next Bond will be different to what we expect though. EON aiming to cast younger, I think Bond #7 won't look as tough and probably will lack a bit of them edge to them
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    He would get my benefit of the doubt. In fact I would prefer him over Aaron TJ. I prefer a deep voice over nationality.
    Cruel mouth, not pouty lips.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I think Bond #7 won't look as tough and probably will lack a bit of them edge to them
    No one wants soft Bond.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Today, wouldn’t Roger, and possibly Pierce, be considered “ soft”?
    Yeah, in fairness I wouldn't have said that Brosnan looked especially tough just from a superficial glance. That's not to say he didn't channel that into his Bond performances (I think he did in his first two especially and was capable of it as an actor).

I think perhaps what was meant was that compared to Craig's hard edge which he projected even from his looks, the next actor may not necessarily have that same superficial quality. Again, this doesn't mean that the actor won't be able to portray Bond's toughness/cruelty, nor does it mean they won't have something interesting about their appearance.
    eacd6bd44868500995489c91594bcfe7.jpg
    I guess theyre just great actors, or the part is easy.
    With Dan, there was more of an emphasis on Bond as 'blunt instrument' than there had been before - even down to M explicitly using that expression in reference to him. This probably fed into Dan's idea that he needed to look like he could kill someone - which he certainly achieved. Craig's Bond was the most formidable since Connery. It worked.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Craig's Bond was the most formidable since Connery.

Yes, well said!
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    zebrafish wrote: »

Yes, well said!

*In your opinions. To each their own.

zebrafish wrote: »

Yes, well said!

*In your opinions. To each their own.

No doubt, Craig’s Bond was the most intimidating and formidable since Connery.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    As for Rupert Friend, Hitman is the only thing I have seen him in, so to be fair to him, I don't think that it was the best showcase for his Bond potential.

This is a scene that plays in my head when I hear Rupert Friend's name. Quinn isn't a character that has a lot in common with Bond apart from their occupation - but there's a certain intensity in Friend's eyes that made me think, at one point, that he could have made an interesting Bond.

I'm not sure he could have pulled off the womanising aspect as well as the killer side, however.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    The most physically forceful certainly, although I'd also give Lazenby a nod in that regard. As much as he may have lacked in the acting department, he made up for it with his physicality.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,005
    I’d be intimidated by any man with a Licence to Kill, but honestly of all the Bonds, I think Dalton is the most intimidating. It’s nothing to do with his strength, but more to do with his eyes, expressions, and unpredictability. Whenever I watch Dalton as Bond, I always get the feeling that the guy could snap at any moment if pushed too far, which is ultimately what happened in LTK. Whereas a lot of the other Bonds don’t feel as unpredictable.

Moore in the TMWTGG would scare the Living Daylights out of me too if I had a rifle pointed at my family jewels.
    The most physically forceful certainly, although I'd also give Lazenby a nod in that regard. As much as he may have lacked in the acting department, he made up for it with his physicality.

Lazenby had the physicality and one of the best fighters, yet I always thought he didn't look menacing. Something in his eyes and face, not sure what exactly. But he lacked something.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,743
    Ludovico wrote: »

Lazenby had the physicality and one of the best fighters, yet I always thought he didn't look menacing. Something in his eyes and face, not sure what exactly. But he lacked something.

Agreed. Even Moore was able to turn on that cruelty and sense of ruthlessness when needed. Same with Brosnan. Lazenby had some good moments in OHMSS, but they're more about Bond's vulnerability (and even then I'd argue he doesn't always get it right, ie. his strangely terrified expression when the guy in the bear costume snaps his picture). He never struck me as having that cold edge that Bond needs despite his physicality. I certainly can't imagine him being quite as scary as when, say, Dalton's Bond holds Lupe at knife point in LTK.

Honestly, while having a level of physical screen presence is required for Bond (the right walk, making little things on-screen look easy/natural etc) I'm not sure if a Bond actor necessarily needs to be naturally athletic or a 'fighter' as Lazenby was in real life. They need so much more than that, and Lazenby's acting and lack of general audience memorability in the role is a great example of this.
    Yes, agreed - as Oliver Reed found out, Lazenby certainly was capable of, er, throwing down. Which, according to Rachel Weisz, Dan isn't. But CraigBond came over as a far more intimidating, daunting and formidable character than George's Bond ever did.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited June 2023 Posts: 3,382
    OHMSS never depicted Bond as menacing though, to be fair really, there were no menacing moments in that film.

OHMSS is one of my favorites, but that film never depicted Bond as menacing, nor did he have any cold moments, OHMSS is more of a drama to me.

If you've watched The Man From Hong Kong, I think Lazenby had that menacing and threatening presence in there, it's his best portrayal by the way, and it's no surprising, he's playing a villain in that film.
    That's a good point - Dan was actively playing Bond as a killer ('my Bond is an actual assassin' - Paul Haggis), while George wasn't asked to do that. Is Lazenby effective at channelling more of that in his later villain roles?
    That's a good point - Dan was actively playing Bond as a killer, while George wasn't asked to do that. Does Lazenby effectively channel more of that in his later villain roles?

In The Man From Hong Kong, yes, he's really menacing in that film.
    Good to know. I've still never seen that! :-O
    Good to know. I've still never seen that! :-O

It's a fun film by the way, though, it didn't aged well (especially when it comes to the treatment of women), but it had a great theme (Sky High by Jigsaw) and it also featured Lazenby's great performance (yes, probably moreso than in OHMSS), it's a Bond-esque adventure.

Jimmy Wang Yu was also great in there, but Lazenby did really outshone him though, he had the presence.

Also, he did really got burned himself for a stunt he performed there, it's shown in the film by the way
    This discussion reaffirms my feeling that Hugh Jackman would have been an outstanding Bond; he would have brought the charm and lightness of Moore as well as the physicality and brutality of Craig. That is what’s needed for the next actor.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The Name Is Kirk, Charlotte Kirk
    https://lamag.com/article/the-name-is-kirk-charlotte-kirk/

The controversial actress confirms she has auditioned for the role in the next installment of the James Bond franchise.

The 30-year-old actress, who currently resides in London, confirms for Los Angeles that she’s been auditioning for a role in the next Bond film, though she’s tight-lipped about the details. “If I told you, I would have to kill you,” she deadpans. All she’s willing to divulge is that the character she’s trying out for is “deadly, brilliant, and complicated.”

I auditioned for the same role.
    talos7 wrote: »
    This discussion reaffirms my feeling that Hugh Jackman would have been an outstanding Bond; he would have brought the charm and lightness of Moore as well as the physicality and brutality of Craig. That is what’s needed for the next actor.

I also quite liked him, the problem, as usual, is the age, he's old enough to be Bond.