Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    What I want to know is how did you explain who Eastwood is. 😄

I said "Get off my lawn!".
    She may vaguely know that movie reference. Actually I explained he's been around for generations and is both a directing and movie star icon.... or something to that effect.

It's funny in this day and age , most of what people watch are story arc streaming series on Netflix, HBO Max, etc. General knowledge of cinema seems to becoming more scarce unless it's Marvel or something.

Tell me about it. I teach 16 to 18-year-olds.

"The Matrix? Mad Max Fury Road? Uhm... SkyFall?"
    Crickets.

"Emily in-"
    "-PARIS!!!!"

Right.
    Peter David once made the same observation :

https://www.peterdavid.net/2012/02/14/had-a-chance-to-test-my-madonna-theory/

And I myself encountered a few people who had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned older movies, or stars, or actors. Sad, really.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Peter David once made the same observation :

https://www.peterdavid.net/2012/02/14/had-a-chance-to-test-my-madonna-theory/And I myself encountered a few people who had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned older movies, or stars, or actors. Sad, really.

I don't really worry about that. I quit being interested in pop music for about 15 years, starting by the end of the seventies, because I though it all sounded alike, and only made up for that by exploring that of the 80s and 90s in the 2000s, finding some treasures (like Sting and Police and Annie Lennox) and some stuff that I still didn't like (Nirvana, Oasis). I have occasionally tested some more or less current music if it's cheap to acquire (Amy Winehouse: great but dead, Taylor Swift: ok, Ellie Goulding: not so). And don't even get me started on rap or, for that matter, autotune-enhanced music. Both lead me to immediate turning off the radio...that is, I haven't really turned it on in the first place for the last 25 years, and just catch it when I'm some place else and it's on. Not missing anything.

So I guess with the majority of current actors, stars, singers etc., I'm just as ignorant as today's youth are regarding the celebrities of my first four decades or so. Classic case of generation gap. But I have what I like on probably about 1,500 CDs, and copies of those on my PCs and in my cars.

When I went to the U.S. for my exchange year in 1974, my host brother (than twelve) confronted me with the name Hank Aaron (or was it Babe Ruth? I'm not even sure). When I didn't know who that was, he declared that I had to be totally stupid for not knowing that guy. But why should I, from the rest of the world that doesn't play baseball and didn't care, have known these names? I'm sure Pelé or Franz Beckenbauer wouldn't have rung a bell with him.

It's the same with these different universes of pop music that have developed since the 50s and 60s. In other words: It's totally normal that people from other decades or even generations are not aware of what us boomers appreciated during our youth. We may still be convinced that our musical heroes were the cream of the crop, but we must accept that the later generations don't agree...just as we have disdain for most of their stuff. Justifiedly, of course. :-)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,895
    It is totally normal - it's just the realisation that it's happened to us already. I mean, 1992 was only about 14, 15 years ago, right? Oh, hang on...
    When I was a child growing up in the seventies I would happily watch stuff that was made way before I was born. Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Will Hay, Norman Wisdom being particular favourites. Did it bother me they were in black and white? Not a bit. Ask my step son (35) to watch black and white and he'd say I'm not watching that old crap. No sense of film history at all.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/30/ron-desantis-fox-news-interview-destroy-leftism

I don't post this to start a political debate. I post it to point out what a disgrace it is and what a horrifying point my nation's come to. When the most prominent candidates for the highest position of power in the country are spouting things like this, it's time to be very concerned. I hope everyone does their part in keeping dangerous lunatics like this away from advancing. I should think what happened to Roe v. Wade proves to everyone that your rights today may not be here tomorrow.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/30/ron-desantis-fox-news-interview-destroy-leftism

I don't post this to start a political debate. I post it to point out what a disgrace it is and what a horrifying point my nation's come to. When the most prominent candidates for the highest position of power in the country are spouting things like this, it's time to be very concerned. I hope everyone does their part in keeping dangerous lunatics like this away from advancing. I should think what happened to Roe v. Wade proves to everyone that your rights today may not be here tomorrow.

I didn't even have to watch the video you gave a link to to say that if those people (any Republicans that support MAGA and Trump and/or DeSantis) win the next election, you can wave goodbye to democracy in the U.S. What happens now, with the requisite adjustments, reminds me of Weimar Germany, where ultimately everyone who was disgruntled voted for the Nazis. Which gave Hitler enough of a voters' share in January 1933 to initiate what everyone should still know that happened.

And what I think is worst, is that the U.S. is going to lose the rest of its credibility as the Beacon of Freedom and Leader of the Free World and what have you. I am sure that the large majority of constituents in the EU member states are pretty sure we have the better democracies anyway. Trouble is, we rely largely on the U.S. regarding defense, based on the post-WWII arrangements. If Trump once again should win (legitimately or not), this system will falter. He was just about to withdraw U.S. tactical nuclear weapons from Germany out of his usual personal spite when he was fortunately voted out of office in 2020. And yes, of course he was legitimately voted out, whatever he's still claiming.

My six year old boy really struggles to sleep. Also he's in a constant bad mood about school, for no apparent reason. He's not bullied or anything, we checked. He just hates it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    My six year old boy really struggles to sleep. Also he's in a constant bad mood about school, for no apparent reason. He's not bullied or anything, we checked. He just hates it.

It could just be a phase he's going through in his development as a child. Hopefully it'll pass in time but I'm sure it can be worrying as a parent.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It could just be a phase he's going through in his development as a child. Hopefully it'll pass in time but I'm sure it can be worrying as a parent.

Thanks. I think it's partially the time of year, with the holidays coming. There's a few of his classmates who don't want to go to school either in the morning.

Thanks. I think it's partially the time of year, with the holidays coming. There's a few of his classmates who don't want to go to school either in the morning.

Yes, it could be that too. A kind of fatigue with the heat, the stuffiness of the classroom and getting up early in the morning. I suppose it all takes its toll on the young ones. I'm sure after a rest over the summer holidays he'll feel in happier form again.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    When I was a child growing up in the seventies I would happily watch stuff that was made way before I was born. Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Will Hay, Norman Wisdom being particular favourites. Did it bother me they were in black and white? Not a bit. Ask my step son (35) to watch black and white and he'd say I'm not watching that old crap. No sense of film history at all.

I’m curious: is it the black and white cinematography that he doesn’t like or just old films in general?
    MPs The "Moaning" of Life :D
    Just old films in general. Trouble is he calls anything pre nineteen eighties old films!
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Just old films in general. Trouble is he calls anything pre nineteen eighties old films!

Without having had a film or film as lit. class, I wonder how many people come to an old film on their own.

Little problem (again) with iTunes : Right now, I'm trying to copy my albums on CD. But for three of them at least, I can't engrave all of my playlist on the CD. And no, it's not because I try to put too many songs on a CD. But, when you only manage to put one song out of a fourteen songs album on the CD, you know there is a problem. Can anyone help me ?
    edited June 2023 Posts: 8,657
    Even as someone who still insists on buying his music on physical media (before also converting them to other digital formats for different uses on different drives), I am surprised you'd wish to transfer iTunes albums to CD. I may not be up to date, but do you get a lossless copy (equivalent to a normal CD) by doing that? Or do you get the equivalent of an MP3 recording that uses a tenth of your CD and wasts the rest?

I have almost no music except that which I bought on CD (that makes it about 2,300 albums, to be sure), and transferred it to FLAC on a 6 TB drive for home use, and thousands of titles as WMA lossless for one of our cars (it doesn't process FLAC) and ALAC for the 15-year old iPod to feed the other car. Still, I never felt the urge to put any external music on a CD. Can't you play it from a USB stick or an SD card or whatever?
    And now I cannot receive or send emails because my mailbox is full. And now matter how many emails I delete, it's still full.

I'm having this same problem with my old Hotmail email account too. I've deleted a ton of emails but it's still bringing up that my Mailbox is full and I can't send or receive emails from it. I've had to create a new email address in the meantime. Does anyone have any suggestions on what more I can do with my old email account?

With help from my brother I've finally been able to resolve the issue with my email account. I found out that my email account had linked with pictures and videos from my phone all from 2017 in a kind of cloud account which were taking up a lot of room. I was unaware that this had happened. I deleted all of these and this has helped to bring my inbox storage well back within the limit again. It was mainly the few videos from my phone that were taking up so much of the space. It's good to have my original email account back again. I've been using it since I set it up in September 2001 as part of my A Level ICT studies.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Even as someone who still insists on buying his music on physical media (before also converting them to other digital formats for different uses on different drives), I am surprised you'd wish to transfer iTunes albums to CD. I may not be up to date, but do you get a lossless copy (equivalent to a normal CD) by doing that? Or do you get the equivalent of an MP3 recording that uses a tenth of your CD and wasts the rest?

I have almost no music except that which I bought on CD (that makes it about 2,300 albums, to be sure), and transferred it to FLAC on a 6 TB drive for home use, and thousands of titles as WMA lossless for one of our cars (it doesn't process FLAC) and ALAC for the 15-year old iPod to feed the other car. Still, I never felt the urge to put any external music on a CD. Can't you play it from a USB stick or an SD card or whatever?

When I engrave a CD from iTunes, I get a regular CD, not a MP3 one. That's because not all my CD players accept MP3CDs. Plus, I have seen that buying on iTunes is often more economical than buying in stores, especially if said CD are rare, and expensives. Case in point, Sissel's five CD set Reflections would cost me some 1990 Norwegian Crowns, so more than 170 €. No, thanks. But still, that doesn't answer my query about how can I ensure that the tracks I want to copy will be copied. Because I've already wasted six CDs that way, and I don't want to waste any more.
    And now I cannot receive or send emails because my mailbox is full. And now matter how many emails I delete, it's still full.

I'm having this same problem with my old Hotmail email account too. I've deleted a ton of emails but it's still bringing up that my Mailbox is full and I can't send or receive emails from it. I've had to create a new email address in the meantime. Does anyone have any suggestions on what more I can do with my old email account?

With help from my brother I've finally been able to resolve the issue with my email account. I found out that my email account had linked with pictures and videos from my phone all from 2017 in a kind of cloud account which were taking up a lot of room. I was unaware that this had happened. I deleted all of these and this has helped to bring my inbox storage well back within the limit again. It was mainly the few videos from my phone that were taking up so much of the space. It's good to have my original email account back again. I've been using it since I set it up in September 2001 as part of my A Level ICT studies.

Same here: they put everything in OneDrive from my computer. Cannot delete everything though, as I have drafts of novels and short stories in my documents.

Same here: they put everything in OneDrive from my computer. Cannot delete everything though, as I have drafts of novels and short stories in my documents.

Yes, that was it: OneDrive. I didn't even know I had one of those. There were a few old photos of my cat etc. that I downloaded before deleting them off the OneDrive. I suppose it's the connectivity of everything online nowadays. It seems that almost everything is linked in some way to something else, especially with the big social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok. Some of them are owned by the same companies, which doesn't exactly help with anonymity or privacy online. That's why I most favour the old fashioned forum which allows one at least a degree of anonymity in this increasingly connected online world. Those novels and short stories sound interesting. Hopefully we'll get to read them some day.

Yes, that was it: OneDrive. I didn't even know I had one of those. There were a few old photos of my cat etc. that I downloaded before deleting them off the OneDrive. I suppose it's the connectivity of everything online nowadays. It seems that almost everything is linked in some way to something else, especially with the big social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok. Some of them are owned by the same companies, which doesn't exactly help with anonymity or privacy online. That's why I most favour the old fashioned forum which allows one at least a degree of anonymity in this increasingly connected online world. Those novels and short stories sound interesting. Hopefully we'll get to read them some day.

Basically Microsoft gives you the choice to save your files in it and of course you accept not thinking about it twice. Then of course when it's full they say you must buy extra storage.

Basically Microsoft gives you the choice to save your files in it and of course you accept not thinking about it twice. Then of course when it's full they say you must buy extra storage.

Ah, I see. That must've been what happened then. I have a good few unfinished Bond articles of quite some length on my PC that have been there for over a decade in some cases. A cloud storage device would be ideal for these unfinished pieces which I hope I'll some day get completed. Paying for storage wouldn't have been a good move on my part as all the pictures and videos were from 2017 and very few were notable or worth saving.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 5,774
    I don't know what happened last night, but this morning, there were a lot of dead fishes floating on the canal on the road to my job. I thought at first that they might be plants (I walk to work very early in the morning), but this afternoon, I could see that it was really fishes. Was it Lightning (there were a few thunderstorms recently), or a poisonous spill (which could also cause trouble for the birds there) ? I don't know, but I hope it's nothing too serious.

I managed to have some explanations. Apparently, it was because of the heatwave we had these past few weeks. Anyway, the carnivorous birds may have a feast, but it won't please the fishermen, that's for sure.

https://actu.fr/ile-de-france/bois-d-arcy_78073/yvelines-dizaines-poissons-retrouves-morts-bois-darcy_17397728.html
    Not saying it is necessarily a consequence of global warming, though I don't dispute glo bal warming exists at all - it clearly does. But we are having a dry spell longer than I can remember, here in the north of Germany, where everyone used to be joking about rain being constant and drizzle being the natural state of life, based on the premise "There is no bad weather, only inadequate clothing".

But now, our plants are d(r)ying unless we water them every day, and we leave out the bit of lawn we have. We are trying to help our vegetables, herbs, and flowers across this emergency, but we can't be everywhere and will have to lose some of them.
    It's hot here in the UK and I hate it.

Same here. It's very hot in the office and and in the car and I find my head sweats most which is very annoying though necessary.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Same here. I'm from Yorkshire, man, I'm just not built for heat and humidity
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regarding the uncomfortable effects of heat, could be in part you folk are simply old.

As am I.

Same here. It's very hot in the office and and in the car and I find my head sweats most which is very annoying though necessary.

Thankfully I work from home. Ground floor, if I keep the curtains closed it's reasonably warm. Four years ago I worked in an office which I had nicknamed the ice box in winter and the oven in summer. I hated the job and the names were very fitting.