Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 2023 Posts: 2,930
    No worries, FoxRox. And yes, that pain = stress = more pain vicious circle is a real thing. Damned annoying too, eh! Noticed your Ron Mael avatar, mate, and as laughter reduces stress, here's one you might like: I saw Sparks at the Barbican in 2012 and at one point, Ron jumped off stage, ran into the crowd, tripped and fell flat on his face, was immediately swarmed by women, eventually reappeared out of the throng with a big grin on his face, ran back on stage, took his shirt off and swung it triumphantly around his head! He was 67 at the time... :D
    Venutius wrote: »
    No worries, FoxRox. And yes, that pain = stress = more pain vicious circle is a real thing. Damned annoying too, eh! Noticed your Ron Mael avatar, mate, and as laughter reduces stress, here's one you might like: I saw Sparks at the Barbican in 2012 and at one point, Ron jumped off stage, ran into the crowd, tripped and fell flat on his face, was immediately swarmed by women, eventually reappeared out of the throng with a big grin on his face, ran back on stage, took his shirt off and swung it triumphantly around his head! He was 67 at the time... :D

That is the best story I’ve heard in some time x) jealous that you saw Sparks! Opportunities are really hard for me to come by to see my favorite musicians. But it’s a real joy to find another Sparks fan given their extreme cult status!
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    When you're having relations with your lady friend and the tea gets cold
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It's absolutely shocking how bad acid reflux/indigestion can feel.

Last Friday I wasn't eating too healthy, and I woke up at 3am Saturday morning with reflux so bad it was accompanied by shoulder, neck, and back pain; I couldn't lay down at all, and had to sit up in a chair from 3am to 7am until the drug store opened so I could get antacids. A delightful carousel of symptoms for about five days before I could get a regular night's sleep.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 12,270
    It's absolutely shocking how bad acid reflux/indigestion can feel.

Last Friday I wasn't eating too healthy, and I woke up at 3am Saturday morning with reflux so bad it was accompanied by shoulder, neck, and back pain; I couldn't lay down at all, and had to sit up in a chair from 3am to 7am until the drug store opened so I could get antacids. A delightful carousel of symptoms for about five days before I could get a regular night's sleep.

So sorry to hear that :( sounds very annoying. I’m starting to be on the more hopeful side as my pain is lessening, hoping it won’t come back with a vengeance. But have to stay vigilant. Can never take heart stuff lightly.
    Exactly right. I feel like I get palpitations every once in awhile... or it skips a beat or something. I drink a lot of soda... when I got my family doctor fairly recently, I asked to get the whole works of blood work done but they didn't find anything abnormal, so I suppose I was lucky. Gotta start a healthier diet though.
    Bad mood tonight.
    The building I live in is being sold and I'm not exactly prepared to move. The current owner wants all the tenants to sign a new year long lease for our protection. A year with an already substantial increase in rent.
    I'm tempted to abandon this place and leave the new owners to deal with my belongings.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Bad mood tonight.
    The building I live in is being sold and I'm not exactly prepared to move. The current owner wants all the tenants to sign a new year long lease for our protection. A year with an already substantial increase in rent.
    I'm tempted to abandon this place and leave the new owners to deal with my belongings.

Sorry to hear that mate! Hope you get to find somewhere. Here in Ireland we had an eviction ban in place, so tenants could not be thrown out during Winter months ( with stipulation that they were paying their rent,and not causing trouble!) The Government have lifted that ban from yesterday, without any contingency plan in place. (Their 'genius' plan was that local councils could buy the houses from landlords, and families could continue to live in their house, and pay rent, has run into problems, as landlords are either unwilling, or asking for too much money!!)
    We already had a massive housing crisis, plus trying to accommodate the huge numbers of refugees. Theres going to be a lot of people/families in serious trouble over the next few months!
    We had a story here where a landlord sold their building and gave the tenant ample notice, but the tenant just dug in and didn't leave. The landlord couldn't get the tenant removed because they need a formal eviction notice (which of course they were pursuing), but the tenancy board is so overwhelmed that it takes forever to actually get one. Until they get it they can't do anything to remove the tenant, and now the new buyers are suing the people they bought the building from.

Moral of the story: just dig in! ;P
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    In Germany, a landlord (of a residential building) who wants a tenant to move out has to have an adequate reason to terminate the lease (for instance, wishing to use the apartment or house for himself or a family member), and - unless an extraordinary termination is permitted (with very high hurdles, like not paying rent for more than two months or trying to kill the landlord) - observe the notice period of three months for the first five years of the lease, then six months after a duration of more than five years, and twelve months after 8 years. And if the tenant doesn't move out, the landlord has to sue him before the district court...with a possible appeal to the upper district/regional court, and in the worst (though unlikely) case going all the way up to the Federal Court of Justice. And all of that takes quite a while before there is a title to evict the tenant. And even then there may still be a stay from the court if the tenant demonstrates he is unable to find another reasonably affordable place to live.

All very commendable from a social point of view, but very much the reason I never invested in real estate for my private purposes. Exactly because I am a lawyer and know that a landlord is very likely to lose in the end.
    We had a story here where a landlord sold their building and gave the tenant ample notice, but the tenant just dug in and didn't leave. The landlord couldn't get the tenant removed because they need a formal eviction notice (which of course they were pursuing), but the tenancy board is so overwhelmed that it takes forever to actually get one. Until they get it they can't do anything to remove the tenant, and now the new buyers are suing the people they bought the building from.

Wow. Great story. Feeling much better tonight. I think I'll sign the lease and use the next year to plan ahead. The rent I pay is very reasonable for the space. Actually it's an astonishingly good deal. But I have sentimental memories of moving in here with my dearly departed girlfriend.
    Who knows what may happen in the following year?
    All sorts of opportunities may present themselves.

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    In Germany, a landlord (of a residential building) who wants a tenant to move out has to have an adequate reason to terminate the lease (for instance, wishing to use the apartment or house for himself or a family member), and - unless an extraordinary termination is permitted (with very high hurdles, like not paying rent for more than two months or trying to kill the landlord) - observe the notice period of three months for the first five years of the lease, then six months after a duration of more than five years, and twelve months after 8 years. And if the tenant doesn't move out, the landlord has to sue him before the district court...with a possible appeal to the upper district/regional court, and in the worst (though unlikely) case going all the way up to the Federal Court of Justice. And all of that takes quite a while before there is a title to evict the tenant. And even then there may still be a stay from the court if the tenant demonstrates he is unable to find another reasonably affordable place to live.

All very commendable from a social point of view, but very much the reason I never invested in real estate for my private purposes. Exactly because I am a lawyer and know that a landlord is very likely to lose in the end.

That is very interesting. I believe our landlord wants us to sign new lease (with increased rent) so that whoever buys the property would have to honor the lease.
    I do think the current owner of the building and landlord finds me to be one of the more reliable tenants. That works in my favor.
    Although I did slightly crash my car into the beams that support the rooftop awning.
    An accident as my foot slipped onto the gas pedal. That was 6 months ago. :(

Apparently that's what is happening, housing charities are not recommending it. But if people have genuinely no where to go..........!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My Norton Antivirus is making a mess due to a false positive alert. A friend of mine suggests that Windows Defender is good enough. I'm not really an expert on the matter. What does the room think?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My Norton Antivirus is making a mess due to a false positive alert. A friend of mine suggests that Windows Defender is good enough. I'm not really an expert on the matter. What does the room think?

Is it on computer?
    I’ve used Avast Antivirus for years and haven’t had a single problem.
    Same for Avira Antivirus (though it's on Mobile) but no complaints, and not much on action either 😅, mainly because you need to pay first before they give you the most efficient services.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 7,526
    I use whatever Windows provides by default and have never had a problem. Have a desktop and laptop PC.

I don't do any torrenting or anything like that though, just web browsing/shopping, gaming through Steam and Blizzard.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Is it on computer?

Yes, on the computer.
    It was here that I was reminded that people with android phones have to get antivirus software for their phones...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I use whatever Windows provides by default and have never had a problem. Have a desktop and laptop PC.

I don't do any torrenting or anything like that though, just web browsing/shopping, gaming through Steam and Blizzard.

Same here, without gaming etc. at all, but only using Windows Defender. When it doubt, download the free version of AdAware or some others you don't need to buy. Never found anything that Windows didn't.
    @Marmiteman, please avoid double posting. You can use the edit button, instead. Look for the little wheel in the upper right corner of the post window.

Also, it's a bit strange for a relatively new member to have such a fixation on @Thunderfinger. Either way, "Thunderfinger is a muppet" is not the kind of post this forum values.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    All of this user's posts have so far been attacks on @Thunderfinger including in places only seasoned members would know about. There's something very suspicious there. It's either a duplicate account or a banned member returning who has an axe to grind. Whichever one it is, it certainly needs to be investigated by the mods/admins.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Request those posts be removed.

edited April 2023 Posts: 3,391
    @Marmiteman, please avoid double posting. You can use the edit button, instead. Look for the little wheel in the upper right corner of the post window.

Also, it's a bit strange for a relatively new member to have such a fixation on @Thunderfinger. Either way, "Thunderfinger is a muppet" is not the kind of post this forum values.

I've seen that he's been doing this since 2022.
    Based on looking at some old threads.

He's no longer a new member.

Take a look on this: https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/1284303#Comment_1284303

@Thunderfinger was still active in here, and you're also in the discussion, @Dragonpol
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

I've seen that he's been doing this since 2022.
    Based on looking at some old threads.

He's no longer a new member.

Take a look on this: https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/1284303#Comment_1284303

@Thunderfinger was still active in here, and you're also in the discussion, @Dragonpol

Yes, that's a thread we both used to post in and it's where this member first showed up.

I took them away now, but kept them archived. Any "member" who spends most out of only a handful of posts personally attacking a veteran member, will find us of little patience.

I took them away now, but kept them archived. Any "member" who spends most out of only a handful of posts personally attacking a veteran member, will find us of little patience.

Thanks for archiving those posts, @DarthDimi.

Sadly every single one of his five posts so far have referred to @Thunderfinger negatively. I assume that an IP address check has been run to see if this is a duplicate account we are dealing with?
    Something that bothers me is how Netflix films seem to not come out on DVD. Del Toro’s Pinocchio and Knives Out: Glass Onion are two films I’d love to add to my physical collection, but cannot as they aren’t available. Couldn’t Netflix strike some deal with someone to still collect profits off physical copies? The less online subscription stuff I have, the happier I am, so I’d really much prefer the DVDs to get made.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Something that bothers me is how Netflix films seem to not come out on DVD. Del Toro’s Pinocchio and Knives Out: Glass Onion are two films I’d love to add to my physical collection, but cannot as they aren’t available. Couldn’t Netflix strike some deal with someone to still collect profits off physical copies? The less online subscription stuff I have, the happier I am, so I’d really much prefer the DVDs to get made.

I agree. I'd love to have a physical 'something' of Stranger Things someday, but I'm not sure that'll ever happen.
    FoxRox wrote: »

The same goes for Star Wars and Marvel related series at Disney + . Makes me wonder if we're going to get physical releases of Doctor Who in the future.