Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Something that bothers me is how Netflix films seem to not come out on DVD. Del Toro’s Pinocchio and Knives Out: Glass Onion are two films I’d love to add to my physical collection, but cannot as they aren’t available. Couldn’t Netflix strike some deal with someone to still collect profits off physical copies? The less online subscription stuff I have, the happier I am, so I’d really much prefer the DVDs to get made.

The same goes for Star Wars and Marvel related series at Disney + . Makes me wonder if we're going to get physical releases of Doctor Who in the future.

In the UK, at least, it shouldn't make any difference as Doctor Who is still a BBC production. Outside the UK, it's anyone's guess (as outside the UK where where the Disney distribution comes into play).
    So I posted my bands track titles on Facebook and of course 5 minutes later my father in law Is calling my wife and complaining that essentially I am “delusional” and I shouldn’t do anything with music etc

Love when family is so supportive
    Risico007 wrote: »
    So I posted my bands track titles on Facebook and of course 5 minutes later my father in law Is calling my wife and complaining that essentially I am “delusional” and I shouldn’t do anything with music etc

So sorry to hear that. I know what it’s like to have family (by blood in fact) that prefers being cruel and hostile instead of supportive, or at least neutral. It’s no one’s place to tell someone else that, especially when they should know and treat you better.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Risico007 wrote: »

I never knew you were in a band. Wouldn't mind you sending me a link to the tracks if they're available anywhere online. That's sad that your father-in-law has to be so petty like that. Sadly this often happens within families but just stay true to yourself and follow your dream. Don't listen to other people who try to put you down - it's often a projection of their own unhappiness on to someone else, so take no heed of it.
    One memory I can never get out of my head is when my father called my mom’s + me and my sibling’s blood “tainted” for having Jewish blood. It hurts a lot when the people that are supposed to be kindest and most supportive are hateful. Ultimately though you just have to do what’s best for you and tune out the naysayers, and if possible / when applicable, cut them out.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 8,696
    Oh my, @FoxRox, that's really sick IMO.

Though my parents (born 1915 and 1916) had their share as cogwheels in the Nazi machinery (my mother having been a small-town BDM head, my father an army artillery batallion commander - though never a party member -, spending five years as a POW in the USSR in return until 1950) I have never heard them actually utter a bad word about Jews. They brought me up pointing out that Jewish Germans (say Heine, Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Liebermann...to just name a few from different arts) contributed greatly to German culture, and while my parents obviously went along with the times before I was ever expected to be born, I never gained the impression they had really adopted the racism dictated by the Third Reich.

And I am appalled that such anti-semitism pops up again today. I don't mean expressing legitimate criticism of the Israeli government, but by using those old code words (amounting to the same as Hitler's "Jewish-Bolshevik World Conspiracy" - which really is not so far from what Stalin also said against the Jews - Trotskiy was probably assassinated because he was one) and blaming the likes of George Soros (more of a self-made billionaire than TFG), but really only a fall guy and code name for everyone Jewish, for everything the reactionaries and Fascists don't like about this world and its liberal democracies.

I commend you for being so open about your experience...I don't know if I would, but then, I don't have anything comparable to disclose. Let's just say it moved me, and I hope you can keep on coping with it.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 12,270
    @j_w_pepper

Thank you for the kind words and respect, as well as sharing some of your own background. Prejudice and bigotry are things that have always been and will always be in fashion I’m afraid, for a great many disturbed individuals anyway. I believe in my heart, though, those that are not hateful outweigh those who are, and I’ve also been around many great people who don’t care about things like race.

I could share a million not so good stories about my dad unfortunately, but the main reason I do is just to put it out there for relatability. I know that a lot of people out there have had bad parents, and I just want to point out how it’s true those supposed to be closest to you can be your worst enemies. When you’re really young and impressionable especially is bad to be told hurtful things, because your mind is developing and you can believe those bad things easier. But I refused to let myself go down a path of hatefulness and want to always combat this kind of behavior however I can. I know countless others have had it worse than me, too, as far as bigotry is concerned. We all have an obligation to fight for what’s right though, and I know there’s plenty of positivity and kindness always to challenge stupid, narrow-minded views!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    We all have an obligation to fight for what’s right though, and I know there’s plenty of positivity and kindness always to challenge stupid, narrow-minded views!
    Thanks for the answer. And let's keep up the good fight while we can.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thank you both for sharing these stories. I appreciate the honesty. And I am sorry to read the treatment you got but obviously didn't deserve.
    So a quick quiz popped up on my news feed, from Radio Times magazine. Identify 25 screenshots from Bond movies. Lazy Bank Holiday Monday morning, soI gave ta whirl. Smug with myself, as I easily identified all 25. And then when my results popped up 23/25!!! Annoyed, I did it again, same result. So, either I'm going nuts, or the compiler doesn't know Bond!
    edited April 2023 Posts: 23,551
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    So a quick quiz popped up on my news feed, from Radio Times magazine. Identify 25 screenshots from Bond movies. Lazy Bank Holiday Monday morning, soI gave ta whirl. Smug with myself, as I easily identified all 25. And then when my results popped up 23/25!!! Annoyed, I did it again, same result. So, either I'm going nuts, or the compiler doesn't know Bond!

Can you link us? :)

EDIT: Found the quiz. I got 24/25. I presume the fact that we have to type in the full titles has something to do with it. That's a weakness on their side.
    • I capitalized every word (e.g. Licence To Kill vs. Licence to Kill) Not sure if that matters.
    • I wrote DN as Dr. No.
    • I didn't do the fancy TomorrowNeverDies or GoldenEye, but typed Tomorrow Never Dies and Goldeneye.

Either it has something to do with the typing, or they made a mistake. Either way, I'm sure you and I both got all the answers right, @Mathis1, so I presume the typing does it. And then that's on them.

For those who want to take the quiz too:
    https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/james-bond-film-one-frame-quiz-bond-at-70-exclusive-newsupdate/
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Can you link us? :)

EDIT: Found the quiz. I got 24/25. I presume the fact that we have to type in the full titles has something to do with it. That's a weakness on their side.
    • I capitalized every word (e.g. Licence To Kill vs. Licence to Kill) Not sure if that matters.
    • I wrote DN as Dr. No.
    • I didn't do the fancy TomorrowNeverDies or GoldenEye, but typed Tomorrow Never Dies and Goldeneye.

Either it has something to do with the typing, or they made a mistake. Either way, I'm sure you and I both got all the answers right, @Mathis1, so I presume the typing does it. And then that's on them.

For those who want to take the quiz too:
    https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/james-bond-film-one-frame-quiz-bond-at-70-exclusive-newsupdate/

Definitely on them. I typed them in as exactly how they should be. So I reckon we both right. They were easy enough if you know your Bond!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    23/25 and I know I answered each correctly. So I’m speechless as I checked the spelling …🤷‍♂️
    Perhaps they misspelled "licence" as "license" and "no time to die" as "no time to dye" ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Perhaps they misspelled "licence" as "license" and "no time to die" as "no time to dye" ;-)

Radio behind the Times, as Alan Partridge would say. :)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    They need to stop getting Bond wrong!
    Venutius wrote: »
    They need to stop getting Bond wrong!

They're the ones who are moribund! ;)
  • I AM THE MAN IN THE SHADOWS
    Marmiteman wrote: »
    I AM THE MAN IN THE SHADOWS

You are the man with the Caps Lock on.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited April 2023 Posts: 14,882
    I AM THE MAN IN THE SHADOWS

There are many people in the shadows.
    Are you, Hank Marvin or Cliff Richard?
  • FOOT TAPPER
  • THE REVOLUTION IS COMING. YOU HEAR ?
    If you wish to remain an active member of this forum, then you'll stop with the all caps posts.
    And quit the cryptic posting style.
    He's Marmite. You either love him or you hate him.
  • The organisation has me locked up in here. They say I did it. But what proof do they have? I mean, I’m not a thief.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 14,882
    Last chance.
    You've made 9 posts thus far @Marmiteman , and not one of them Bond related.
    That suggests a troll, to us.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Benny wrote: »
    Last chance.
    You've made 9 posts thus far @Marmiteman , and not one of them Bond related.
    That suggests a troll, to us.

Looked on his profile, and I think you're right, @Benny.
    Favourite Fleming Novel -Classified-
    Favourite Bond Film -Classified-
    Favourite Bond Actor -Classified-

Oh, boy better post your sentiments on Reddit, maybe that site fits you more, but please, not here.
  • I am Thunderfingers alt account.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I am Thunderfingers alt account.

Pretty sad you’ve got this amount of time on your hands. You’ll be banned shortly and forgotten within seconds. Another failure…
    I am Thunderfingers alt account.

Check your messages @Marmiteman